Page 790 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2906907407807887897907917928008408901290 ... LastLast
Results 23,671 to 23,700 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

He had pancreatic cancer.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

That's the kind Patrick Swayze had, isn't it?
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Gwen, go to a really good shoe store and try some on there. Something like this http://www.schulershoes.com/Womens is where I go. You get a great fit, good support, good materials, and shoes like this last me a couple of years of wearing daily.

I actually need some new ones myself and might go in the near future because the sandals I have been wearing all summer aren't going to cut it in the winter!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Yes, not sure if the kind of tumor was the same but pancreatic is an awful one...probably one of the worst.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Jennifer, I actually like quite a few of those!

But I have a feeling i'm not going to give up my flip flops at home in the 117 degree summers. I hate having anything on my feet.

My brother's GF (almost called her my SIL until I realized she isn't! Wish she were) posted this on FB:

‎"Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart." - Steve Jobs, Stanford commencement speech 2005.

And I have to lol a little that one of the people who "liked" that quote had an upside down apple logo as a profile pic. I'm sad - but apparently not that sad.

Great quote.
    The upside down apple is kind of funny. I can't believe how many people of facebook are talking about it. Like, every single person posting right now.

I logged on and read about his death as well and was saddened. He was so young. I also am not really techy but I remember how innovative Apple was years ago with their little square computers as I called them.

Erin

I think that for so many of us he changed our lives...technology wise. Pretty much most people have an iPod or if not, an MP3 player that wants to be an iPod. Or an iPhone, or an iPad....or a mac computer.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

3andMe is online now Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Steve Jobs had a less-common form of pancreatic cancer and also had a liver transplant since he was diagnosed. I am saddened, but also surprised that he has made it this long. Pancreatic cancer is very deadly. The five-year survival rate is very low (4%), and he was diagnosed in 2003. Being in the Bay Area, we have been kept abreast as much as he has allowed, because it is more newsworthy to us. It is a total surprise to me that some people don't know that he had cancer. I turn on AM radio on my commute and hear what speech he's giving and if he's looking more gaunt than usual.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmosmom
    Hey I just found out within the last year that I'm flat footed too. And I do have knee troubles, tend to trip easily and tend to get heel spurs. I was told to hardly ever go barefoot and have taken to even wearing slippers that have a thicker sole and a bit of support at home. And I totally stopped working out barefoot....which I was doing videos at home that way. I don't need inserts but do need arch support...and Crocs were ok'd for that. But most flip flops or flats...nope.
    I am the opposite of flat-footed with very high arches, but I also have knee and hip troubles and have feet problems and went to a podiatrist last year because of the feet problems. Since I'm on my feet all day, I can't afford to have continual pain. My podiatrist told me to STOP wearing crocs at work, even though they were super-comfy, because he said the flexibility in them was very bad for feet in general. He said the best shoes for feet, regardless of foot style, was a low heel, with little flexibility in the arch region and wide enough in the ball of the foot that no crowding occurred. He recommended Danskos. I actually don't like Danskos too much, but I have a pair of Keens for playground wear and Ariat clogs for other occasions.

Good to know. I'll see what carries those brands here, since the store Jennifer linked doesn't have a branch here. I pretty much wear clogs in the winter and flats/sandals/flip flops in summer. I owner if my Clark's clogs would be more acceptable to my PT?

Yeah I have some Dansko but I tend to trip in them...too high a heel. Seriously I will just twist an ankle while standing still....so embarrassing at work.
    I was told by ortho that Crocs were ok and decent enough but my bigger issue is the heel spur so I need the heels to be more cushy. I did get a big thumbs up on the Naot shoes I have.....but now they are getting too worn out.

I'm sure that there is probably a family owned store by you that carries those kinds of brands.

And I bet that you could find flip flop sandals that have decent support like maybe spenco? Or these aren't cheap but if you find this brand http://www.mephisto.com/spip.php?pag..._femme&lang=en they are FANTASTIC. I had a couple of their sandals in high school and OMG they were so comfortable.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    That's the kind Patrick Swayze had, isn't it?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Jennifer, I actually like quite a few of those!

But I have a feeling i'm not going to give up my flip flops at home in the 117 degree summers. I hate having anything on my feet.
    Me too. It's been in the 60's and I still prefer flip flops. Even in winter, when I'm home for the day I'm barefoot. I loathe shoes!

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I think that for so many of us he changed our lives...technology wise. Pretty much most people have an iPod or if not, an MP3 player that wants to be an iPod. Or an iPhone, or an iPad....or a mac computer.
    My boss was saying last night if it wasn't for him he probably wouldn't have ever gotten into computers at all. He's an Apple freak. It kinda makes you think...how many lives did he touch in very significant ways without ever realizing it.

Why isn't is the weekend yet? I so wanted to sleep in this morning...and it's not even Friday yet.

What's everyone doing this weekend? We are having a train weekend....Saturday is a local train show...DH is really into trains and wants to get a layout going in the basement. Sunday we are going on a scenic train ride looking at fall colors. Says to enjoy beautiful river views as the train hugs limestone cliffs and goes over a draw bridge and have brunch. And so far the weather looks good for it too!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I wanted to sleep in this morning and yesterday morning. I nearly overslept this morning. DH actually woke me up, which he usually doesn't do if I oversleep for some reason.

This weekend I am hosting the robotics kids at my house for our Saturday meeting. DH is going to Fort Valley, GA a couple miles from us to visit some relatives he has never met so will be gone all day Saturday, maybe through Sunday. I'll probably take the kids out to get some dinner on Saturday and on Sunday I am going to sleep until 10am, maybe 11am and then maybe go to the zoo since the weather has been so nice. Not much planned. I may look up some festivals to go to since it is fall festival season here, but I really don't like festivals much so maybe not, especially if DH won't be here as he is the festival lover in our house.

Erin

Not sure, DH is on call so we can't go far in case he gets called into work. He has a few home projects he wants to do anyway.

Actually tomorrow we're going to see Jay and Silent Bob at a theater in Boston. They do a podcast and I guess their show is like that, just them kinda shooting the breeze talking about the good old days. I'm excited. I love Kevin Smith's movies and I kinda have a crush on Jason Mewes. LOL

Saturday I'm taking the kids to a casual kid friendly wedding reception that I wasn't invited to. I swear, my brother's friends don't send me invites to anything but then they tell him,"Bring your sister and her kids!"
    Sunday hopefully I'm doing nothing but hanging out at home.

3 day weekend and I'm hoping to accomplish nothing Although I know thats not going to happen

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

we don't have any plans...that I know of. I'm sure the girls do, and they'll tell me 15 minutes before they need to be there.

The train ride sounds like fun Jennifer. Owego actually has a little old passenger train thing that I haven't ever been on. Every year I say, "this year we're gonna do it" but then I don't. Tim (and most my classmates) got to go on it for a school field trip. It doesn't go very far...maybe 20 miles?

There are lots of them up in the Adirondacks. Again, I always intend on going but never do. As depressing as fall is, I think coupled with a train ride I could actually enjoy that scenery.

I'm not sure what we're doing this weekend; if the weather keeps up like it is, we'll have to find things to do in doors, so we'll probably take the boys swimming one day at the local pool.

Ugh, this afternoon was horrible. Travis was a demon child after lunch time. He was shouting and demanding things and being horrible to Cash. I took his lovey "pillow" away from him and he threw the biggest fit I've ever seen him throw while shouting, "I'm ANGRY!" (That part made me laugh because of how true it was!) DH and I talked to him about his behavior at bedtime and he says he'll be better tomorrow, but who knows. I sure hope we don't have a similar day to today for a looong time if ever again! :S

I like to post now and see my ticker. Everytime I see it, I want to smile. After over four years here, I finally can have one.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I'm sorry Travis had such a bad day

Jennifer I am SO excited for you!!! I actually thought of you the other night (I was talking to a GF about my wanting to adopt) and I realized I kept forgetting to ask if they got your profile online??

I like to post now and see my ticker. Everytime I see it, I want to smile. After over four years here, I finally can have one.
    I love it!!

Sorry Travis had such a bad day Ash. I do hope today goes better. I hate days like that.

No I'm not online. Our agency has JUST started putting some families online if you want. I haven't listened to the webinar yet or thought about too much but might do the work over the winter. Only one couple in my group is on there (out of 5 or 6 couples) and really only a handful from all the waiting families they currently have. They try to keep a balance of waiting families with the number of placements they average a year to be about the same....something like 70-80.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

OK! Honestly I'm wondering for selfish reasons since I'm curious to see your portfolio, I bet its beautiful

Hi guys! Yes, it took me this long to get caught up to you girls. Every time I'd almost get caught up, I'd get pulled away and come back to find another page to read. You ladies are worth it, of course.

Erin - to resurrect an old topic - I ran the numbers and calculated that I clean my house - at most - about 1.667% the amount of time that you clean yours. You're amazing! And also, the robotics program at Ky's school sounds pretty amazing too. It would be unfortunate if you do have to move away to another city and need to pull Ky out of his program. Ky sounds like he's really adaptable, though, and will make the best out of whatever environment he's in.

Ash - I'm sorry, Travis had a demonic day. I can totally relate, what with having my little guy who is NOT shy about showing his displeasure with us. Bodhi can speak so sharply, it can be jarring at times. I feel like I always need to reel my DH back in when he's correcting B. I have a hard time getting him to see that B isn't trying to be a jerk. Our kid is admittedly more willful than others and not afraid to express his feelings, but he hasn't quite fine-tuned his delivery (obviously, since he isn't even 3 yet). I keep having to remind DH that he needs to erase any sort of tone from his voice that says "You should have known better!", because more than half the time, Bodhi really doesn't know any better, and the rest of the time he just can't control himself. DH just keeps falling into the trap of expecting Bodhi to be a miniature adult and then getting upset when he's not.

I also truly dislike it when DH gets sarcastic with Bodhi. Honestly, it's just a selfish way for DH to vent his frustrations.

Whew, well, glad I got that off my chest. LOL. Just like the conversation went in previous pages, my DH isn't a horrible person. I'm just sharing the difficult time I'm having with him in this one area.

Molly, that was the most awesome little Inigo Montoya emoticon ever. I am so going to start making my own like that.

Mandy, how is your knee today? I am so happy that we all started talking shoes because I recently discovered this blog that is all about comfort footwear: http://barkingdogshoes.com/ I typically wear brands like Simple, Sofft, Born and Naot, and the blog has opened my eyes to all sorts of new makes. This lady has found herself quite a niche in the blogosphere. I think a bunch of shoe brands have started sending her pairs to demo on her blog. I'm jealous. Mainly, I'm grateful, though, because I was starting to see my shoe collection becoming more than 60% Mary Janes (not counting sneakers, of course) and really needed to find something different for my feet.

L, I love little S in your latest siggy. He looks like he's saying "Check me out!"

Katy, were you saying it was you who read Malcolm Gladwell, or your friend? I'm undecided on the debate as to whether it's better or worse for B to be on the older/younger side of the spectrum in his classes. The article made me think, though, because B is really young compared to the other kids in his preschool. It used to bother me for a couple of reasons: 1) that he wasn't being taught to his level and, because of that, would come to the wrong conclusion that it's normal & expected for things to be "over his head", which he'd carry over into most of his life. I wouldn't want him to develop the attitude of "why bother?" when he's trying to master anything new, and 2) that he was emotionally less mature than the other kids, and that was going to make him feel uncomfortable and underconfident on a regular basis. The reality of his time at school so far, though, is that it's really stretched him. His vocabulary is growing by leaps and bounds (and he's a clearer speaker than some kids who are more than a year older than him). He seems to be keeping up with the ABC/123's they're all being taught, which is nice. It's also introduced some good routines into our household, in terms of reinforcing that he listen to us and checking what day it is on the calendar so we can look up the activity, etc. So, so far, his "youth" hasn't been a bad thing in terms of schooling. When he reaches kindergarten age, he's going to be on the older side, actually, having a b'day in January. I know some are of the opinion that being older makes you more confident due to the fact that you're physically and emotionally more mature compared to your classmates. Me, I worry that Bodhi is going to get bored. But we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

I'm going to click "Post" now, but will come back with more news/chatter soon.
    Last edited by demigraf; 10-06-2011 at 03:51 PM.

Conner wanted to know when Daddy & I were going to leave the kitchen and go in the living room. 'His' computer is in what should be the dining room, and there's only a counter between those two rooms. I instantly knew something was up, and sure enough he wanted to watch a YouTube video of some cartoon dinosaur eating butterflies and pooping all over. The voice on the video was saying things like, "If dinosaurs sh!t that much, I won't have one for a pet."

We try not to swear in front of Conner, but we're not prudes about it either. If there's minor swearing in a movie, I don't even give it a second thought. But he just knew this wouldn't be something we'd approve of and was trying to get us out of the room so he could watch it.

Now I'm curious to know how he found it. He'd obviously seen it before. I'm 1/2 upset and 1/2 amused.

Jennifer, I meant to say yesterday that I was really pleased to see your new ticker. But then I decided I was being a post ho and I wasn't going to post anything else until someone else did. ;) I'm happy and excited for you.

Myles, my knee is still hurting, but less so. I can tell the PT is helping already. I'm actually excited to go tomorrow. Even more excited because my appointment is at 9:00 so I'm not going in to work until after - and since I start work at 8:00 that means I get to be lazy tomorrow morning! Yay!

Chrissy, that's funny about Connor. Clever he recognized it, but where did he see it before?

Chrissy, that's funny about Connor. Clever he recognized it, but where did he see it before?
    I don't know for sure. Either it popped up as a suggestion on the right when he was watching something else, or one of his older sisters found it for him and shared it.