Page 789 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2896897397797877887897907917998398891289 ... LastLast
Results 23,641 to 23,670 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

If we're still together, we might not sell our house.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I so hope your DH will get it together while you are apart Chrissy and that you can get a little peace. Maybe you and he can come back together on better terms so you won't have to think about selling the house and will be able to move on peacefully.

And Jen we would have to live in the actual city of Chicago. In Chicago if you work for the city (includes firefighters and police officers and teachers) then you have to live in the city. I understand that and really I wish we had something similar here in Atlanta. It makes those who work in the city and the communities in the city have a vested interest in making the city better.

And really I think Chicago is a beautiful city but I just do not want to live there. It is much more attractive than Atlanta in regards of the upkeep of the city and the way it is run, even though they have corruption at least their corruption actually maintains the city. Here in Atlanta it is corrupt and those in charge don't even care about trying to act like they aren't corrupt if you KWIM. They are better actors in Chicago and do more to try to prove they aren't corrupt. It is pretty funny to me actually but at least they fear being openly corrupt may get them booted from office. They don't care here in Atlanta.

But my main issues with Chicago are crime and (it is crazy in this day and age) segregation. Chicago is one of the most segregated cities in the country, many do not know this and really I wouldn't see it as a bad thing but it is heavily ingrained in the city and it bothers me when I visit or hear DHs relatives speak about it. Really it is just crazy to me. If we moved there we'd also more than likely move on the South side which is where my MIL lives and even though her actual neighborhood isn't all that bad, it is actually better than where I live now in Atlanta, though many have a stereotypical view that the whole south side of Chicago is a gang war land, my main issue in that area of the city is that the schools there are not up to my standards. I was actually going to move from Atlanta a couple years ago until I found Ky's school and I just LOVE our school so much. It would be my main reason for hating to leave. I will never find a school like it any where else.

Erin

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    But my main issues with Chicago are crime and (it is crazy in this day and age) segregation. Chicago is one of the most segregated cities in the country, many do not know this and really I wouldn't see it as a bad thing but it is heavily ingrained in the city and it bothers me
    Erin
    I didn't know this. Is it just because people are choosing to 'stick to their own' so to speak, or do you feel there's an undercurrent of pressure for people to stay segregated?

Yeah I kind of figured that they would want city employees to live in city limits. I would be concerned about the crime and such too. Like Chrissy I didn't realize about the segregation but than again I have basically gone down usually 1-2 times a year and was pretty much around the touristy things downtown or I was visiting my MIL in the burbs. I have heard about the schools being not good down there but always just thought that was how it goes in most big cities. Maybe they would have charter school options? Or maybe even private school? I know I don't consider myself religious but if a Catholic school was the best option, I would totally send my kid to one.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Grrr...what I thought would be an easy search this morning is turning out to be anything but.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I didn't know this. Is it just because people are choosing to 'stick to their own' so to speak, or do you feel there's an undercurrent of pressure for people to stay segregated?

I feel it is more of a traditional segregation like white people stay here, hispanic, there and black people there. But I also do feel that because of the traditional seperation that people do feel pressured to stay in a certain area and there are a lot of stereotypes that some people hold about each other. I just think it is ridiculous in this day and age. I do not get a good vibe from Chicago really. I think a lot of people there are too focused on racial issues and I really just do not have time for all that (because I will get into arguments over stereotypes and such with anyone, that is just how I am, even DH and it has been the cause of a lot of I'll say discourse in our relationship. I do think though with our debates he is coming out of his stereotyping a whole lot). My DH and a lot of his family are what I consider to be a "Race Men" meaning they focus way too much on race and see racial issues in every freaking thing under the sun and I just don't want to be around this all the time. I was looking into neighborhoods and schools just in case so I can have a list of where I would like to live and DH is adamant that he doesn't want to move in more integrated neighborhoods because he wouldn't want the kids to have to endure racist remarks at an early age. He can tell some horrible tales about things that kids and even teachers said to him when he was a child at school, he went to integrated schools in the 80s and some of the things he tells me are truly unbelievable IMO but he is not one to lie about things like that. He was even attacked outside of a Cubs game by a group of guys who said he and a friend of his wasn't allowed in their side of town because they were black and this was in 1996 and IMO wasn't too long ago. I truly feel it is probably not as bad as I've heard and even if it was it is more than likely better than it used to be but I've met a lot of people who are native Chicagoans and really they just are too racial for my taste and I just don't want to put up with it and gangs and crime. One of the neighborhoods though I've been looking at is promising with lower crime on the south side but it is more expensive than MILs neighborhood and I don't know if I'd be willing to pay twice as much to live somewhere only 5-10 miles away.

But really I just hope to not have to deal with Chicago except on visits. I'm excited that I'm going there next week for a company party that the company is paying for me to go to. I am so going to leave the party early and relax in my hotel room (after I look for bed bugs!!!) and I have already told DH he need to "be me" for a day and make sure he does the chores/pick up the kids/cook. Hopefully I won't have twice as much work to do when I get home.

Sorry you day started off on the wrong foot Jen, hope it gets better.

Oh and they do have a lot of Charter options in Chicago a lot of promising ones, but not like where we are now with the really low class sizes, plus most of them have an extremely long day and I don't really think it is necessary for kids (unless they are WAY behind or are doing other activities) to have to go to school until 6pm and on weekends.

I more than likely wouldn't do private school because I don't like the idea of paying for school when I'm already paying for school through tax dollars. If it came down to it, I would just homeschool the kids if I can't find a good school.

Erin

Oh it's not a bad day or anything. Just one of those things that you thought looking at the request....oh this will be an easy one. Than it's like, nope not really. Just cannot think of a really great way to narrow it down using subject headings or even keywords so I had to scan through about 650 citations to find about 50-60 that I think would help my patron the most. Usually it's easier to narrow things down.

I do think that you are right on the race thing in Chicago. I'm on the other side of it but have heard things from others or on the news. And my MIL has told us that there is just a big difference in attitudes in general from her coworkers there compared to coworkers she had in Milwaukee.
    I can totally get not wanting to pay for private school. I felt the same way living in Milwaukee and why we were thinking of homeschooling back than even though we lived in one of the burbs. Now I live in smaller town with really pretty much no bad schools or even really bad neighborhoods so we will just go with public schools.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I've been lurking lately instead of posting since the most time I can get to read on here is from my phone....it's so hard to do a proper post from a touch phone!

Chrissy, I hope your car gets sorted.

Erin, that's really quite interesting about Chicago. I would have never thought that about a big city, but I guess that goes to show you how much of a bubble I live in. Speaking of living in bubbles, my MIL was buying some things the other day to send as a charitable thing over to Africa and she was going to buy a hair brush. I said to her, "I'm not sure black people use those kinds of brushes to do their hair." And she was all like, "Oh, I don't know..." and then I started thinking that I don't actually really know any black people to ask (except to Erin from here!) How sad is that....everyone around here in our neighborhood is so white.

Bridget, that sounds very exciting about Hawaii. It will be interesting to see what your dad and brother have to say. I keep telling DH that for one of our anniversaries that we'll have to go Hawaii because it's a dream vacation for me. He says we will one of these days. I also really want to go to the national parks in Wyoming and out that way, so I could eventually maybe one day meet Bridget and Lydia!

A Travis funny from today-DH was running a bath for the boys and he said to Travis, "Is this water too hot for you?" Travis touched it and said, "No, it's not too hot....it's too warm, though!"

Kids!!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I have started browsing third world problems just for kicks, instead of first world problems. The difference is pretty amazing:

My water is 70% poop and my poop is 70% water.

The flies land on my face. I swat, then they come back. I swat, and they come back.

My tapeworm is fatter than I am.

Americans are becoming suspicious that I am not truly a Nigerian with a dead, rich relative.

Compare to first world problems:

I had to navigate the city without a GPS like some sort of old world explorer

I met a girl today but she's not on Facebook. So now I have to get to know her manually...

My hundred-dollar bills are so new that they stick to each other.

All right, that's my amusement for naptime today.

Reading some stuff at work and saw this and thought of the conversation yesterday. Statewide in Wisconsin last year, over 25 million was spent on purchasing new materials at public libraries. To me that is an excellent use of tax dollars.....I know I certainly make good use out of the public library (and I don't even like mine....location isn't handy at all....I'm so jealous of my family who lives like less than a block from theirs and walks there all the time).
    Last edited by Cosmosmom; 10-05-2011 at 03:00 PM.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I should add that all of these problems are made-up. I mean, they're based on real stereotypes, or maybe they could happen, but they're meant to be humorous in sort of a painful way. It's not like someone who can't get decent drinking water in a third-world country is typing in his/her problems to a forum complaining about it.

LOL at Travis!! That is so cute. And it depends on where in Africa the brushes are going to Ash. I know a lot of African immigrants here in Atlanta and they wear a lot of weaves/extensions if you can believe it and they said that a lot of women wear weaves/extensions in Africa too!! They use what we call "wig brushes" the plastic ones with plastic bristles with the ball thing on top (hard to describe). Mostly though we use boar bristled brushes, they kind of look like a steel wool brush but soft so if she has those kind then they would work with anyone.

And Jen I would never take anything out from your library! The replacement prices are WAY too high. Here they go by either the type or the actual price of the book. The one that Ky lost was 9.99 so it will be $10. He had lost 2 books so since I found one he will have to pay a $5 late fee for it, but it has been over a year so that's not bad IMO.

Erin

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    I have started browsing third world problems just for kicks, instead of first world problems. The difference is pretty amazing:

My water is 70% poop and my poop is 70% water.

The flies land on my face. I swat, then they come back. I swat, and they come back.

My tapeworm is fatter than I am.

Americans are becoming suspicious that I am not truly a Nigerian with a dead, rich relative.

Compare to first world problems:

I had to navigate the city without a GPS like some sort of old world explorer

I met a girl today but she's not on Facebook. So now I have to get to know her manually...

All right, that's my amusement for naptime today.
    May be horrible but those third world problems made me giggle !

Erin

It's not horrible. They're supposed to be amusing.

And Jen I would never take anything out from your library! The replacement prices are WAY too high. Here they go by either the type or the actual price of the book. The one that Ky lost was 9.99 so it will be $10. He had lost 2 books so since I found one he will have to pay a $5 late fee for it, but it has been over a year so that's not bad IMO.

Erin

LOL I know. But really the cost of some of the books is even way more than that. Like this might be something we would order http://www.amazon.com/Textbook-Spina...849386&sr=8-13

Really I don't know that we have ever had to bill someone since I have been here. Usually once you send someone a notice saying that they will owe $150 (or more if multiple books), they tend to find the books and that is really what we want.

We also check out life size anatomy models (only to staff)....those are kind of cool. The skeleton we call Dr. Bonz.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

LOL at Travis!! That is so cute. And it depends on where in Africa the brushes are going to Ash. I know a lot of African immigrants here in Atlanta and they wear a lot of weaves/extensions if you can believe it and they said that a lot of women wear weaves/extensions in Africa too!! They use what we call "wig brushes" the plastic ones with plastic bristles with the ball thing on top (hard to describe). Mostly though we use boar bristled brushes, they kind of look like a steel wool brush but soft so if she has those kind then they would work with anyone.
    Thanks, Erin! I've learned something today! I'll let her know. The box she's doing is for kids', I think, but I know what brushes you're talking about, so I can tell her what kind to get!

I have been catching up and giggling the whole time.

I just got back from an organic farm 30 miles away that has a store called Back to Country. I was browsing around and learned you have to be an employee to shop there so I asked and she said they ask for one hour per month. Odd, I thought. Then I asked where the milk was and she said, "In the barn". So then it all came together for me and I realized they only sell raw milk so you have to work on the farm for it to be technically legal for them to sell it to you. So I bought 2 gallons and we're going to give it a try. We don't drink much milk so it'll be mostly for cooking.
    There were a lot of children on the farm, laying under trees reading rubbing a dog's belly, playing musical instruments, working in the store or in the barn, petting the horses. They helped me load the van with my groceries, played with Sawyer, chatted with Savana, showed me how to get my milk. I asked one of the older children if they were all homeschooled and she said yes and they don't all live on the farm but work and learn there and at home. I thought it so cool that today I collided with the world I've been thinking about so much lately. That is what I want for us. It was so peaceful and everyone I ran into, adult or child, was very welcoming and friendly.

It's nice to find a place you click with like that!

Wow, so much to catch up on.

Ash, I've noticed now that I have an iPad and a smartphone I have a tendency to either read and not post, or to post very short posts because it's too hard to type. I make a point to log in from my computer so I can catch up.

DH just opened his Safari browser on his mac and it went to the apple page and said Steve Jobs 1955-2011. Apparently he just died - As a new apple devotee I'm horrified.

I have never particularly wanted to live in Chicago. I'd live in NYC or another big city, but for some reason I've never liked Chicago. Not that I've been there since I was 11 so I really don't know. Just prejudiced, I suppose. I actually considered moving there for grad school after I got accepted to Northwestern, but there was no way I could afford the tuition to go to Northwestern and it was way more than I could borrow in student loans, so I stayed here. The rest is history. I wonder sometimes how different my life would have been if I'd moved there for grad school. My favorite professor got his Ph.D. there.

I went to the PT today - they did finally approve my claim. This PT is awesome. He has a doctorate in PT which is awesome (I don't know any doctor's level PTs) and was a PT in the army. He said it was my LCL (which is what my DH thought after reading his sports injury book) and possibly a torn meniscus. He also said I'm moderately to severely flatfooted, which is why both my knees are completely out of alignment, and that the ballet flats I have been wearing are the worst shoes I could possibly wear with two knees in a state of near collapse. I'm supposed to go buy new shoes. I saw an ortho surgeon years ago who told me my knees were out of alignment, but he never said a word about my feet so I asked if maybe my feet collapsed because of the knees but the PT today said it was the other way around but the doctor never looked beyond my knee at time because I only complained about my knee. So far I think this guy is great.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    I'm sorry, but that really is annoying!! The 3rd world problems were funny, but I feel guilty for thinking so.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    DH just opened his Safari browser on his mac and it went to the apple page and said Steve Jobs 1955-2011. Apparently he just died - As a new apple devotee I'm horrified.
    I saw that. It is very sad indeed. I was so shocked I had to text my boss to see if he was aware and if it was true or not. I mean, it's not totally unexpected but I still didn't want to believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post

I have never particularly wanted to live in Chicago. I'd live in NYC or another big city, but for some reason I've never liked Chicago. Not that I've been there since I was 11 so I really don't know. Just prejudiced, I suppose. I actually considered moving there for grad school after I got accepted to Northwestern, but there was no way I could afford the tuition to go to Northwestern and it was way more than I could borrow in student loans, so I stayed here. The rest is history. I wonder sometimes how different my life would have been if I'd moved there for grad school. My favorite professor got his Ph.D. there.

I went to the PT today - they did finally approve my claim. This PT is awesome. He has a doctorate in PT which is awesome (I don't know any doctor's level PTs) and was a PT in the army. He said it was my LCL (which is what my DH thought after reading his sports injury book) and possibly a torn meniscus. He also said I'm moderately to severely flatfooted, which is why both my knees are completely out of alignment, and that the ballet flats I have been wearing are the worst shoes I could possibly wear with two knees in a state of near collapse. I'm supposed to go buy new shoes. I saw an ortho surgeon years ago who told me my knees were out of alignment, but he never said a word about my feet so I asked if maybe my feet collapsed because of the knees but the PT today said it was the other way around but the doctor never looked beyond my knee at time because I only complained about my knee. So far I think this guy is great.

Gwen, I know I'm sitting here in shock and literally crying. And the only apple thing I own is an iPod....which I had just been using while on the elliptical. But I plan on getting an iPad probably when the 3rd generation comes out.

I like to visit Chicago. As in I like the museums. But beyond that, nope, I do not like IL or Chicago. Well they have pretty good pizza (never realized how good until I moved someplace that is very Norwegian). I like Minneapolis/St Paul better. Big difference in going to the amusement park in Gurnee, IL...six flags....and going to the one in the twin cities in terms of people niceness.

Hey I just found out within the last year that I'm flat footed too. And I do have knee troubles, tend to trip easily and tend to get heel spurs. I was told to hardly ever go barefoot and have taken to even wearing slippers that have a thicker sole and a bit of support at home. And I totally stopped working out barefoot....which I was doing videos at home that way. I don't need inserts but do need arch support...and Crocs were ok'd for that. But most flip flops or flats...nope.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

So sad about Steve Jobs. My first computer (when I was 10) was an apple computer. He changed a whole generation through several brilliant inventions.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

Bridget, I hope that you get to live in a place like that someday!

LOL course that would be like a nightmare for me. I have fields behind my house right now and OMG the bugs....I have never seen grasshoppers that big before and one landed on me and I screamed and Dh laughed at me. I like the privacy of the fields but I also look forward to the day that it gets developed and homes are on that side and behind me....so long as I like the neighbors! I think that it would cut down a lot on the bugs. And maybe i wouldn't be so scared of the backyard at night...its too dark back there!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Wow, that is sad. Was he suffering an illness? I admit I am totally in the backwoods as far as technology goes and know nothing of nor own any apple products. He was pretty young.

I'm not a fan of Chicago either and yes very much segregated. My best friend lived there for a summer with her hispanic boyfriend and his family and we used to talk about that all the time.
    Chicago is great to visit but I'd never want to live there.

PT wants me to wear tennis shoes but I don't know what to do about work. I've been on a mission to improve my wardrobe so I've been wearing nicer dress pants and I will not wear tennis shoes and dress pants. I'm also not going to go back to jeans just so I can wear tennis shoes with them. Ironically, though, I did wear jeans today because it was a writing day and I'm in a lot of pain so didn't want to get prettied up this morning so I went to work looking totally unprofessional and unshowered and that was the PT's first encounter with me.

Ok, I see he had cancer. Such an ugly horrible disease.
    It must have been so difficult for him when he stepped down and had to admit to himself he couldn't do his job anymore. My mom could never bring herself to do that. Luckily she worked in an office with just one other woman who adored her and she sort of just made it seem like my mom was still working when she clearly could hardly even formulate an email.

I'm pretty sure Steve Jobs had cancer. He issued a statement aboutna month ago saying that he was stepping downed as CEO and in it, he said he had always told the board he would be the first to let them know if he couldn't do his job, and sadly, that day had now come. Other than that he released very little information about hos condition but there were some pictures of him looking thin as a rail.

I was reading reviews today about the latest iPhone being a dud...I nearly teased my boss about it because he's "Mac" in our office (I'm "PC") but then I thought of Steve Jobs and didn't. I knew he'd stepped down in August and was likely not doing well. It just seemed like a line that would be too mean to cross, even though Mr. Jobs wouldn't have been aware of it. I only kid John (my boss) about Macs sucking.

Beat me to it, Bridget! My partner at work is going through chemotherapy and she refuses to admit when she's having a rough day. I've told her to go home early a couple of time because she gets so tired. She took today off and I'm really glad she did.