Page 788 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 288 688 738 778786787788789790 798 838 888 1288 ... LastLast
Results 23,611 to 23,640 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

  1. #23611

    Default

    Could you imagine a man who baked pies and scrubbed toilets?
    Not on the same day, of course.

  2. #23612
    3andMe's Avatar
    3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    21,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Could you imagine a man who baked pies and scrubbed toilets?
    Not on the same day, of course.
    My imagination is not that good, sadly.

    Actually, I have dated some really good cooks. One of them was a total womanizer. He baked me the most delicious stuffed chicken breasts and spent his spare time experimenting with perfecting a pumpkin soup, and made a killer risotto, and it turns out he was screwing women in every department of the hospital, from techs to doctors to administrators. The other really super domestic guy I knew was very touchy feely to the extreme of getting his feelings hurt if I said hi in the wrong tone of voice. He broke up with me once and then got all of our mutual friends mad at me because I broke his heart. Why? Because I didn't take him back when he said "Oops, I really shouldn't have broken up with you."

    I know there are great men who are also domestic gods, but my experiences with the ones who cook and clean have not been so great, and so I have been a little soured on them.


  3. #23613
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Rich used to cook and clean

    He did clean a lot this weekend actually, but that's just 'cause I've been cool to him and talking about getting my own place.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  4. #23614

    Default

    DH prefers to bake rather than cook, and he would probably not have a problem scrubbing toilets and making a pie in the same day but he has little to no sensitive side and he's not great with animals and children. That's what kills it for me.

  5. #23615
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    I drove my car 15 miles and the Service Tire Pressure System light started flashing and then stayed on solid. Please don't let me have a lemon! That's not the sort of thing that my brother can fix easily...I don't think. He can replace individual sensors, but the whole system? I'm not sure. Anyway, I don't want problems!!!

    The dealership is picking it up from where I'll park it in the morning and work on it while I'm at work. Whew...and hopefully that'll be the only issue. Maybe it's a tire with low pressure, but there's no owner's manual so I couldn't read up on it myself.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  6. #23616

    Default

    Oh no! I hope it gets taken care of easily.

  7. #23617
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,978

    Default

    Hope your car is okay, Chrissy!

    DH cooks but sadly does not bake and does not clean toilets. So although he can make a fabulous Chicken Marsala with grilled asparagus and garlic mashed potatoes, he will never bake me a pie and scrub the toilet. I'll settle for what I have, though. ;)

    Chrissy, you weren't supposed to catch that part about when I saw the doctor...

    Don't know what type of doctor she was, just the on call doctor at the workman's comp clinic. Not sure what my options are as far as seeing an ortho, but really I work closely with a truly fabulous physical therapist and I admire her so much ... if my PT is as good as Margaret is, I'll be happy with the treatment I get and won't worry about seeing an ortho.

    Which brings me to the fact that I still can't get the stupid company that oversees workman's comp to approve my PT because "they don't know the name of the adjustor from the insurance company." I really don't know what their issue is or why I can't treatment because they don't know someone's name, but I've called twice today and was told "we're working on it" which, when I asked for further information, means they left a voicemail yesterday. I explained I'm in pain and need medical treatment, and they said they can do nothing for me. So I emailed someone from the HR department and she's trying to do what she can for me ... told me she called someone and left a voicemail that she said "sounded threatening" because she had laryngitis and she expected it to be taken care of first thing in the morning! Till then, I'm still in the same spot I was in before I saw the doctor - this is getting insane.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  8. #23618
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,705

    Default

    Chrissy when I first got my brand new car, I had it like a month and than the dang tire thing started flashing and beeping at me. Except I didn't know I had a tire pressure monitor. And I didn't know how to put air in the tires. I had to bring it to the dealership. Talk about look like a stupid woman. It really was the tires....they just got upset with the temp change and were slightly off. A bit of air and I was good to go. Now I LOVE having the pressure monitor in there and I sort of know how to put air in myself.

    Oh my DH can clean and often does most of it. But he doesn't think to do things like wipe out the icky stuff that gets in the dishwasher where the door hinge is or to wipe down cabinets. He's great though at getting my hairspray layer off my bathroom sink! He doesn't do laundry but will fold and put away his own. I'm scared to let him touch mine.

    BUT he is very sensitive and can get his feelings hurt very easily. And the cleaning is great but he's VERY picky about his house. he gets bothered by things long before me and likes things to have a place and be neat and put away. he did finally stop stealing guests drinks and putting them away if they went to the bathroom so he is improving. And he cares GREATLY about decorating the house. Seriously. I mean I cannot shop for anything house related alone....furniture, art, knick knacks we have to buy all that together and agree upon it. And placement, he almost always gets his way.
    And OMG with baby things. Looking at strollers/carseats and had to be one he likes how it looks and matches our cars....after safety of course. Pack n play has to match the living room. and the worst has been trying to find a freaking high chair because he doesn't want "an ugly one" sitting in the dining room for two years.

    So while I adore him to pieces and he's my best friend and I love that he cleans, does all the money/bills, and even will help me cook (tonight he did the taco meat while I chopped lettuce and tomatoes)....it does come with a price and I wish that he didn't care quite so much about decorating (and I'm serious about this being what we basically argue about...sometimes money but mostly decorating!).

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  9. #23619

    Default

    Jennifer, I would make your dh twitchy. I want to take a picture of our high chair so you can show it to him and tell him it's the one you want. My dad says it reminds him of the kitchen chairs in him and my mom's first apt. Stainless steel tray. I it. Why do they make compartments in modern highchair trays??? That drives me insane. Just more nooks and crannies to clean.

    I posted in the masses for some advice and want to get you ladies' perspectives on this.
    http://www.americanpregnancy.org/for...d.php?t=334267

  10. #23620

    Default

    My DH cleans when I ask him to but I wouldn't want him to cook. He doesn't have any desire to cook and he can only make one thing anyway: crepes. His mom taught him, and they are really good. But TBH I think cooking is the fun part and cleaning up after is the hard work. I really do enjoy cooking, though.

    I had horrible library fines when I was growing up and still get them. As a matter of fact I have a big box of library books/dvds waiting to be returned right now. In Boulder they always had "Amnesty day" once a year and you could return your books and they would waive all the fines, which I thought was a great idea.

    Chrissy, I hope your car is OK! We bought DH a new car just recently and have a 5 year/100K bumper to bumper warranty on it. It's awesome. We've never had a car I didn't have to worry about. My car on the other hand... just spent $800 last week on a new radiator and water pump. I'm lucky I noticed fluid dripping or I could have overheated the engine and cracked the block.

    When my MIL was here she bought me all the fabric for a king quilt I really wanted to make (it's called "french braid" and the fabrics I picked out are gorgeous). I can't believe how generous she is, it was seriously $250 in fabric. But I just realized today I have 7 weeks until we go out to Colorado again and I really wanted to have the top done by then to show her. I really better get on it since I think it will take awhile just to do the cutting. I might show you all updates as a get through it just to get some encouragement.
    Last edited by AbbeysMom; 10-04-2011 at 07:39 PM.



    lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

  11. #23621

    Default

    Please do! I wish I had the craftiness to do it. I would love to see your progress.

  12. #23622
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,978

    Default

    Yes, please share!
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  13. #23623

    Default

    At my thursday night dinner with my dad and brother I think I'm going to break the news that we are considering moving back to Hawaii in the next year or two.

  14. #23624
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Jennifer, I would make your dh twitchy. I want to take a picture of our high chair so you can show it to him and tell him it's the one you want. My dad says it reminds him of the kitchen chairs in him and my mom's first apt. Stainless steel tray. I it. Why do they make compartments in modern highchair trays??? That drives me insane. Just more nooks and crannies to clean.

    I posted in the masses for some advice and want to get you ladies' perspectives on this.
    http://www.americanpregnancy.org/for...d.php?t=334267
    Ugg part of he wants wooden and he wants it too look nice and match our dining room/kitchen. He doesn't like the Stokke Tripp Trapp chair and not really liking the Carters wooden chairs.

    He likes this one http://www.amishoutletstore.com/page.cfm?p=6284 or this one http://www.amishoutletstore.com/page.cfm?p=14571 in a stain to match our stuff. Kind of expensive I think though I might be able to try a local amish store and not pay shipping. It would look the best though in the space which is pretty open to the living room.

    He has sort of agreed to this one but HATES the green so I would have to buy the taupe plastic seat and he's not loving that either. I hope that they come out with different colors by the time we need a high chair....since it could still be a couple of years away. http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Sprout-Cha...7780134&sr=1-1

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  15. #23625
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    At my thursday night dinner with my dad and brother I think I'm going to break the news that we are considering moving back to Hawaii in the next year or two.


    I hope that they surprise you and want to come with. Or at least your dad could maybe spend winters down there!

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  16. #23626
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    At my thursday night dinner with my dad and brother I think I'm going to break the news that we are considering moving back to Hawaii in the next year or two.
    Wow, that's so big! It would be great if you could get them to come with you.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  17. #23627

    Default

    If only they would come! That is exactly what I want.

  18. #23628
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,705

    Default

    Oh and I agree, I would love to see the quilt! I can crochet but not anything sewing. I can maybe fix a seam sort of and can do surgery on Cosmo's toys but it's not pretty.

    And I bought this last year and have yet to get started on it. Thinking I should soon so maybe there is a chance that it will be ready for baby's first xmas once there is a baby! DH and I both have ones like this with the beading that our mom's made in the 70's so wanted to continue the tradition.....
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001144W8K

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  19. #23629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Ugg part of he wants wooden and he wants it too look nice and match our dining room/kitchen. He doesn't like the Stokke Tripp Trapp chair and not really liking the Carters wooden chairs.

    He likes this one http://www.amishoutletstore.com/page.cfm?p=6284 or this one http://www.amishoutletstore.com/page.cfm?p=14571 in a stain to match our stuff. Kind of expensive I think though I might be able to try a local amish store and not pay shipping. It would look the best though in the space which is pretty open to the living room.

    He has sort of agreed to this one but HATES the green so I would have to buy the taupe plastic seat and he's not loving that either. I hope that they come out with different colors by the time we need a high chair....since it could still be a couple of years away. http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Sprout-Cha...7780134&sr=1-1
    You know, you could commission a seamstress (or use etsy.com if you can't find someone local) to make a cushion for the OXO Sprout chair. They could do a quilted one that would be washable and more comfy for baby, and you could pick any fabric you wanted to coordinate with your dining/living room or whatever.



    lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

  20. #23630

    Default

    Hey, does anyone here want my "Gymbucks"? I have $75 worth (so if you buy $150 worth of clothing at Gymboree, you get $75 off). If you do just let me know and I'll send you the code or mail them to you (they are good until Oct. 9th).



    lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

  21. #23631
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Chrissy, you weren't supposed to catch that part about when I saw the doctor...

    Don't know what type of doctor she was, just the on call doctor at the workman's comp clinic. Not sure what my options are as far as seeing an ortho, but really I work closely with a truly fabulous physical therapist and I admire her so much ... if my PT is as good as Margaret is, I'll be happy with the treatment I get and won't worry about seeing an ortho.

    Which brings me to the fact that I still can't get the stupid company that oversees workman's comp to approve my PT because "they don't know the name of the adjustor from the insurance company." I really don't know what their issue is or why I can't treatment because they don't know someone's name, but I've called twice today and was told "we're working on it" which, when I asked for further information, means they left a voicemail yesterday. I explained I'm in pain and need medical treatment, and they said they can do nothing for me. So I emailed someone from the HR department and she's trying to do what she can for me ... told me she called someone and left a voicemail that she said "sounded threatening" because she had laryngitis and she expected it to be taken care of first thing in the morning! Till then, I'm still in the same spot I was in before I saw the doctor - this is getting insane.
    Oh goodness Mandy! I hope this bureaucratic red tape crap doesn't make your injury worse! And of course I noticed...I thought I told you to go sooner!!

    Seriously though, I hope this gets resolved this morning for you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Chrissy when I first got my brand new car, I had it like a month and than the dang tire thing started flashing and beeping at me. Except I didn't know I had a tire pressure monitor. And I didn't know how to put air in the tires. I had to bring it to the dealership. Talk about look like a stupid woman. It really was the tires....they just got upset with the temp change and were slightly off. A bit of air and I was good to go. Now I LOVE having the pressure monitor in there and I sort of know how to put air in myself.
    I wish my car had a manual with it. Speaking of, who the heck takes the owner's manual out of the glove box anyway? If I knew it was only the tire pressure I could have handled it. But the wording of the warning that flashed up said the tire sensor system needed to be checked. That could be the computer itself or a sensor and if it's one of them I want them to pay for it while it's under warranty. I don't have a manufacturer's warranty on it 'cause it's used. I think NY gives 60 or 90 days and that's it for used cars.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    At my thursday night dinner with my dad and brother I think I'm going to break the news that we are considering moving back to Hawaii in the next year or two.
    Oh wow Bridget-I didn't know you were seriously thinking about that so soon. I'm happy for you and hope you find the place of your dreams...with enough room for a secular mom & her brood to visit one day.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  22. #23632

    Default

    I would be over the moon if you came to visit! If any of y'all came to visit! I keep hoping that Erin is going to make it may way someday.
    I didn't know we were thinking of leaving so soon either to be honest. I just feel like we are really gravitating toward that idea/lifestyle. The more I think about it, the more I know my kids especially would be so happy there. They play outside in the summer for hours and hours and then we have 6 months of winter and I really think they get depressed. Savana was not meant to live in a cold climate. It's nearly impossible to get the girl to put on a pair of socks, much less a snowsuit.

  23. #23633

    Default

    That would be great for you guys!

  24. #23634
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    ... Savana was not meant to live in a cold climate. It's nearly impossible to get the girl to put on a pair of socks, much less a snowsuit.
    A girl after my own heart!

    Are you looking already?

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  25. #23635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    A girl after my own heart!

    Are you looking already?
    Been looking casually for about a year but now have our eye on a few properties. With lots of land and tons of fruit trees of every kind.

  26. #23636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Been looking casually for about a year but now have our eye on a few properties. With lots of land and tons of fruit trees of every kind.
    That sounds like a paradise I hope it happens for your family soon!

    I think Myles had dreams of living in Hawaii and raising Bohdi to be a surfer... Myles where are you? Are you still planning on Hawaii someday?

    Personally I would love to move to Hawaii and when we were being transferred down here I showed DH some jobs in Maui, but he wanted nothing to do with it. He is very attached to Colorado and because of that, I know we will move back and spend the rest of our lives there. Until we retire and I sell all our possessions on eBAY and buy an Airstream so we can do an extended national parks tour. But he doesn't know about that yet.



    lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

  27. #23637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I would be over the moon if you came to visit! If any of y'all came to visit! I keep hoping that Erin is going to make it may way someday.
    I didn't know we were thinking of leaving so soon either to be honest. I just feel like we are really gravitating toward that idea/lifestyle. The more I think about it, the more I know my kids especially would be so happy there. They play outside in the summer for hours and hours and then we have 6 months of winter and I really think they get depressed. Savana was not meant to live in a cold climate. It's nearly impossible to get the girl to put on a pair of socks, much less a snowsuit.
    Aw, you make me feel so special!!!

    I actually do think about coming to visit you and Jen since we have family in Chicago and Wisconsin is not that far of a drive (to me 12 hours is not a far drive LOL!)

    I hope your announcement goes well and that is VERY exciting.

    Chrissy, I hope nothing is wrong with the car. It is good that they are looking at it for you and hopefully since you just got it they will fix whatever it is for free. Did it have any sort of warranty? Here most places give you a 30 day warranty, even small lots for used cars because there are so many car places.

    We actually might end up moving to Chicago. I have never wanted to live there though. Too much snow and too little yards and way too many gangs. It is a big fear of mine that Ky will join a gang and Chicago is just not a place I would like to live.

    It is crazy but DH took a test to be a firefighter back in 1995 and a lawsuit was brought up about it and they offered the guys who passed the test, yet who were never called in to do the physical portion of the test the opportunity to compete for 111 firefighter positions so DH is going to go and if he gets one of the spots we will have to move to Chicago. I feel bad because DH is excited about it as he always wanted to be a fireman when he was a little boy and it was a dream of his and now he thinks he can still do it. He is in pretty great shape and has even completely stopped drinking bear in order to get ready for this test. But I so do not want to live in Chicago even though I really don't even like living here in Atlanta. I keep hoping he won't make it and I feel bad about it.

    Erin

  28. #23638
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AbbeysMom View Post
    Until we retire and I sell all our possessions on eBAY and buy an Airstream so we can do an extended national parks tour. But he doesn't know about that yet.


    Me & Rich's lifelong goal was to retire, sell all our stuff, buy a Class A motor home and travel the US in it.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  29. #23639
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    Aw, you make me feel so special!!!

    I actually do think about coming to visit you and Jen since we have family in Chicago and Wisconsin is not that far of a drive (to me 12 hours is not a far drive LOL!)

    I hope your announcement goes well and that is VERY exciting.

    Chrissy, I hope nothing is wrong with the car. It is good that they are looking at it for you and hopefully since you just got it they will fix whatever it is for free. Did it have any sort of warranty? Here most places give you a 30 day warranty, even small lots for used cars because there are so many car places.

    We actually might end up moving to Chicago. I have never wanted to live there though. Too much snow and too little yards and way too many gangs. It is a big fear of mine that Ky will join a gang and Chicago is just not a place I would like to live.

    It is crazy but DH took a test to be a firefighter back in 1995 and a lawsuit was brought up about it and they offered the guys who passed the test, yet who were never called in to do the physical portion of the test the opportunity to compete for 111 firefighter positions so DH is going to go and if he gets one of the spots we will have to move to Chicago. I feel bad because DH is excited about it as he always wanted to be a fireman when he was a little boy and it was a dream of his and now he thinks he can still do it. He is in pretty great shape and has even completely stopped drinking bear in order to get ready for this test. But I so do not want to live in Chicago even though I really don't even like living here in Atlanta. I keep hoping he won't make it and I feel bad about it.

    Erin
    Ugh-that's really rough. I'd be ambiguous about it too.

    I did find my manual online and the warning I was getting is in regards to the monitoring system and not the tire pressure on any tires. It's a good thing I decided to call them.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  30. #23640
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,705

    Default

    OMG I would be devasted if I ever had to sell my house. I like to travel but not that much. I really like just being at home. Pretty much every day I sit in my kitchen and think to myself or say to DH, you know I really love my house.
    I also am really attached to Wisconsin. I like the seasons changing and am not fond of heat at all. Summer is ok but mostly because I have central air and work in air conditioning. Don't love the snow but don't mind the cold and like the winter things like soups and chili and roasts in the oven. Chili and roasts just don't taste as good in the summer.

    Chrissy, any chance the is a manual online? Like at the company's website?

    Erin, would you all have to live in the actual city of Chicago? Or could you do some burbs? My family is at the end of the metra line so that was nice when I lived down there. My MIL lives in the burbs but is trying to get back to Milwaukee. We are now on the other side of the state not too far from Minneapolis/St. Paul. Very nice area.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •