Page 767 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2676677177577657667677687697778178671267 ... LastLast
Results 22,981 to 23,010 of 44505

Thread: Secular Confessions

I think my vaginal area is very pretty! I also think DH's penis is cute. He hates it when I say that because cute, he says, is not the way a man wants his stuff described. He would rather I say how monstrously huge it is and how I'm afraid of it!! We have this discussion often because we are strange and when he is looking upset or something I break out a good name for his penis. I try to think of names that will make him smile when I describe his penis like a humongous hairy beast or something, nicknamed Tripple H or Harry Beast, his favorite was The Cock Meister. Like I said I am silly

I am always giving out the humor and DH usually doesn't get my wit, even though other people think I'm funny and are always telling DH that he is lucky he has a wife who is so fun loving. He never gets my jokes though but loves the penis names so I go with what works.

DH would never wear a tight shirt. He is too self conscious about his body and plus since Atlanta is stereotypically known as a black gay man's haven, he is afraid that people will think he is gay if he wears certain clothes like tight shirts or shiny shoes. He is ridiculous with his apparel requirements not to look gay. My friend I mentioned who told him that Ky was crying that time when he was making comparison's is gay and every time my friend comes over he asks him questions about what can be seen as gay to make sure that he doesn't get whatever it is. My friend makes things up and we laugh about it and DH is like "no but really, I want to know" and he is all serious it is unbelievable.

Erin

LOL, Erin.

I have decided I my RE. I had no idea I had a thyroid issue, but reading up on it I have quite a few of the symptoms. I am tired all.the.time, and I can sleep for 10-12 hours and still be tired. I'm also cold once it hits about 75 degrees. I've been depressed, too, and I assumed that was just dealing with deployment and infertility, but it's a symptom of low thyroid. I've also been super forgetful and I feel like I don't think well on my feet these days. I've been feeling that way for a long time. All of those are symptoms of hypothyroid. I've probably had thyroid issues for years and never known it. I am so amazed that there is one simple answer to that, and such an easy treatment!
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    LOL, Erin.

I have decided I my RE. I had no idea I had a thyroid issue, but reading up on it I have quite a few of the symptoms. I am tired all.the.time, and I can sleep for 10-12 hours and still be tired. I'm also cold once it hits about 75 degrees. I've been depressed, too, and I assumed that was just dealing with deployment and infertility, but it's a symptom of low thyroid. I've also been super forgetful and I feel like I don't think well on my feet these days. I've been feeling that way for a long time. All of those are symptoms of hypothyroid. I've probably had thyroid issues for years and never known it. I am so amazed that there is one simple answer to that, and such an easy treatment!
    What a relief! I am so so happy for you.

And I agree, lol Erin!

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    LOL, Erin.

That is a relief that there's an answer. Have you ever described those symptoms to another dr? I've experienced similar and have had my thyroid tested at least twice but mine was in normal range. I'm also freezing if it's below 75 and I have always been like that. And the other symptoms too.

Everything is falling all apart at home

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Mandy, I can't believe nobody's ever tested your thyroid. It's the first thing any new therapist or doctor asks me if when I tell them I struggle with depression.

Chrissy, I'm sorry. Keep us updated.

Chrissy, I thought about you all 8 times I was up with Sawyer last night.

Thanks Bridget.

Erin that is hilarious DH and I have those discussions too, he thinks his penis is THE most gorgeous thing in the entire world

Gwenn that is fantastic news. I am sure with treatment you will be expecting your bundle soon

Chrissy, I don't even know what to say. I'm sorry

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

The baby I take care of showed up sick this morning. Mom said, "She felt really hot to me this morning so I gave her tylenol before I brought her in". I really wish parents would just know not to bring them in when they have a fever because I hate telling them they have to take their child home with them. I apologized to her 3 times and then wonder why I am the one apologizing. I really do understand the struggle of having a sick child and needing to go to work but I'm glad I didn't let her stay. In the past I have waivered on this and it just sets unclear limits.

Anyone doing anything special for Labor Day?

Ugh Bridget what a pita.

We're not doing anything special...I have to the the girls school clothes shopping is all. This year I'm actually looking forward to it because it'll get me out of the house. I hate shopping, but I hate being home even more right now.

That seems really inconsiderate IMO. You have other children (including your own) that you care for. The little girl could very well get the others sick, I guess some people just don't think in that regard.

Nothing special here, my goal is to get hopefully at least a week ahead on school work. Doesn't that sound like fun!

Oh my DH's smart self smashed his thumb with a hammer yesterday at work. Just a couple months ago he caught another one of his fingers in a mixer Its split open and has a chunk of meat sticking out We've been through this before and know how to take care of it so I guess thats the upside

That is a PITA Bridget. I don't understand why people don't keep their kids home when they are ill. They will get better resting at home and being comforted by parents IMO. My daycare lady actually told me once that I could bring Elle in if she were sick and they would keep her in another part of the house away from the other kids if I really needed to go to work. This was after I called letting her know Elle was sick so would stay home a day or two. I thought that was sweet of her but declined. I get a lot of PTO time at my job so it isn't a big deal, but she did tell me that she lost a family once whose child got strep throat and they had to miss 2 days of work so they were fired.

So happy that you got your thyroid checked Gwenn. I don't remember ever getting mine checked and some women in my family do have thyroid problems. I just figure they do it yearly at my physical. I think I will ask next time and I hope the therapy works quickly for you.

And Christina you can do it with the school work. I remember when I went back to college in 2006 after being out since 2001 and I had to take an advanced French course, needless to say, I did not remember ANY French and on the first test I got an F and I was literally about to cry in French class, which would have looked ridiculous, me being the oldest in class and all. I held back the tears and found an old French book at the library and re-learned French in about a week up to the next level that I was currently at. I got an A on the next test and so my F was dropped as our prof said he would drop the lowest grade in the class if we got an A on one of our exams. Going back is so difficult at first until you get in the swing of things.

And Chrissy big time hugs to you. I have been thinking of you as well and am hoping this difficult time will be over for you soon.

We are also not really doing anything for Labor Day. I am going to clean out my fridge and my stove though as I haven't done it in a while but will probably do both on Saturday. I also am going to BBQ. I would have DH do it but he is prone to burning things so I'm going to do that myself, probably on Saturday as well so that I can enjoy Sunday and Monday as holidays and not do anything but go to the gym and sleep in. I will probably take the kids to the zoo as well.

Oh and Christina I would so come and get you if you lived close to go to the zoo. We have a membership because it is cheaper to buy a membership than to visit the zoo one time here since one person is $20 a piece. You can get a membership for $89 whereas it would cost us $80 to go to the zoo so I usually go every week from Sept through around May, until it gets hot outside.

Erin
    Last edited by Ky'sMom; 09-02-2011 at 07:05 AM.

No plans here...the King Richard's Faire, a big Ren fest in the area, starts this weekend, and it's the 30th anniversary, so I'm sure it'll be huge. I'm thinking of braving the crowd and taking Josh on opening day tomorrow because DH will be at work. No plans for the rest of the weekend though.

Bridget, I don't remember if it was this thread or another but you were mentioning that your kids have a bunch of craft things to play with, so yesterday I ditched a bunch of things Josh doesn't play with anymore and went to the craft store. He really likes the things we got.

I'm looking for things like empty tin cans (like coffee can size and smaller) or other things we can make stuff like robots or musical instruments out of, something besides collage stuff. Any ideas?

I didn't realise it was labor day! I forget most American holidays besides 4th July and Thanksgiving. We're going out tomorrow with my bff and her husband. And then, on Sunday we're off to a birthday party.

Today, we met up with 3 other Americans. I love when we get together with other expats. It's fun to vent with people who are in the same situation.

Chrissy, I hope things start looking up soon. Don't let things get you too down.

I didn't realise it was labor day! I forget most American holidays besides 4th July and Thanksgiving. We're going out tomorrow with my bff and her husband. And then, on Sunday we're off to a birthday party.

Today, we met up with 3 other Americans. I love when we get together with other expats. It's fun to vent with people who are in the same situation.

Chrissy, I hope things start looking up soon. Don't let things get you too down.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Chrissy, I'm so sorry things aren't going well. I haven't had time to really check in, but I've been thinking about you a whole lot. We went to bed really early last night because S and his ear infection kept him awake and crying until 3 am the night before.

NVM. I was just asked to clock in early, so forget everything else I was going to say.

Thanks Erin. Knowing that other mama's could do it really does help give me some confidence in myself and your really sweet. I love hearing about people doing things like that with there kids DH and I both grew up in similar households and strive to be sure that we do SO much more with NOlan growing up.

Bridget, SHM at that momma bringing in her sick baby. I know she must have a hard time making a sick child work around the demands of her job, and I feel for her, but it's unfair to make her problem your problem too. Good for you for standing your ground.

Chrissy - I have been thinking of you too. I know it's hard with all the things going on right now, but from all the way over here, I see you trying to *do something* about all your various difficulties, and you're such a fighter, and the choices you make are full of hope and positivity. So here's a great big "Go on!" from me to you.

No big plans here. I'm going to try to take off early today and get Bodhi to the zoo in the afternoon. It's very nice to live just 10 minutes from the SF Zoo. It's not as grand as the Oakland Zoo near L where we have annual passes too (DH & I think the Oak. Zoo is better than the San Diego Zoo, even), but little kids like Bodhi get excited about the little things like riding the steam train, the cat with a fish in its mouth on the carousel, the fact that the bug house has little plastic stools that he can carry around and stand on, and the petting zoo has ride-on tractors. The rest of the weekend I want to do NOTHING. Yay!

Kate, I'm jealous that you're going to the ren faire. I haven't been since I was a kid, but when I was 15, I kinda sorta dated a swordfighter from the Renaissance Faire. I have another super embarrassing story: around that same age, I LIED to another bf that I had had a girl-with-girl, um, "romantic" encounter at the campground where the characters stayed at the faire... because I thought it made me sound so mature and worldly. Oh my. I've never told that to anybody, and I feel so much better for having gotten that off my chest.

Erin, your whole post above was HILARIOUS. You and your DH should have your own sitcom.
    Last edited by demigraf; 09-02-2011 at 11:03 AM.

I have seen Wonder Woman today, about 20 elves (both gothic and pixie like), fairies (also both gothic and pixie like), about 5 Dorthies from the Wizard of Oz (of 5 different ethnicities to boot), a lady dressed in a plastic red garbage bag with ammo across her chest, about 3 storm troopers from Star Wars, both Superman and Superwoman, Batman, a few Spiderman's, and a lady with very bright pink thick dreadlocks down to her knees eating Chik-Fil-A at the food court while I was on lunch today and other people dressed up in very interesting garb.

Dragon Con is here. We are going to the parade tomorrow morning.

I totally am thinking that Ky and I may go to the events next year. I went to lunch with DH who mentioned all the "freaks and geeks" and so I told him Ky was a freak and a geek, he has called himself both with pride (he is goofy like his mom which can be both fortunate and unfortunate). DH insisted that his son was not a geek, he very well might be a freak when he gets older because DH is a freak (in bed of course is what he was hinting at) but Ky was not a geek. I told him that just because DH wasn't smart enough to be a geek doesn't mean that he should take away that opportunity for Ky. I was a geek and a dork and a nerd and even a teacher's pet and a tattle tell. I was not ashamed. Ky is not all that but he is pretty geeky, I made sure to mention one of my favorite "bible" versus regarding how "the geek shall inherit the earth." DH looked at me like . I think he saw both my freak and geek in that moment instead of the Dragon Con crowd's freaky/geeky costumes.

Erin

Myles! You bad girl you. I'm glad you feel better having told someone!

I used to be into that whole scene...in fact the last guy I dated before I exclusively ended up with DH was really into it too, and we made out in the rain at a Ren fest one year...sigh...
    How I ended up down the more straight and narrow path I don't know.

Erin I'm jealous! I wish I were there!

Ahhhhahahahahaha! Erin, you crack me up!

Myles I'm glad you feel better

Erin that whole post had me

Erin that convention sounds Awe- some! I wish I could see that. I was a freak and a geek for sure.

Mandy, I also wanted to say that I'm happy you heart your RE. I wish I had healthcare I feel I could put my faith into.

Erin and Myles, y'all are funny. Once at a poetry reading in college, our professor asked us to give a blurb about ourselves and one bit of information had to be a lie. Do you want to know what my super fantastic lie was? "I collect buttons and knit on weekends." LOL. I am so funny....not!

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    Erin and Myles, y'all are funny. Once at a poetry reading in college, our professor asked us to give a blurb about ourselves and one bit of information had to be a lie. Do you want to know what my super fantastic lie was? "I collect buttons and knit on weekends." LOL. I am so funny....not!

Actually that made me LOL!!!

ETA: DH didn't think our conversaton was funny at all. I told you, only penis names are funny to him or some sexual humor. He says my brand of humor is not normal (which I think is funny LOL!) but everyone else says that I am funny. I just think I'm kind of silly though and goofy.

Erin
    Last edited by Ky'sMom; 09-02-2011 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    That is a relief that there's an answer. Have you ever described those symptoms to another dr? I've experienced similar and have had my thyroid tested at least twice but mine was in normal range. I'm also freezing if it's below 75 and I have always been like that. And the other symptoms too.

Everything is falling all apart at home
    I never have described all this to a doctor. Partly because I haven't gone to one in a while except when I've had bronchitis, and partly because some of it I never really thought of as a "symptom" like sleeping a lot or being cold. I just thought that was that way I was. It came on so gradually I didn't notice a change.

When I read up on it, some people are subclinical hypothyroid and don't display symptoms. There is some debate in the medical community about whether people who are mild should be treated. Maybe you should ask your doctor what exactly your levels were and if they were worth treating?

I'm so sorry everything is falling apart.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Mandy, I can't believe nobody's ever tested your thyroid. It's the first thing any new therapist or doctor asks me if when I tell them I struggle with depression.
    I haven't told any doctor recently I struggle with depression - I've been struggling really to face it in myself although I know it's there. I haven't wanted to go down the road of meds again, though, so haven't explored it with a doctor.

Oddly, when I was 22 and was dx with clinical depression, my regular doctor did suggest having my thyroid tested and I never followed up. Probably because I was depressed and didn't follow through on stuff. The psych prescribed meds and I just took them, never questioned, but they only worked for a short time and after a while I felt better off them then on so I self-weaned. Maybe it was my thyroid at work way back then? Possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    So happy that you got your thyroid checked Gwenn. I don't remember ever getting mine checked and some women in my family do have thyroid problems. I just figure they do it yearly at my physical. I think I will ask next time and I hope the therapy works quickly for you.
    Erin, the RE did a screen at my first appt by having me drink water and feeling for my thyroid gland. Mine isn't enlarged so I would have passed the screening - but now that the levels are high I think from some of the questions he was asking he suspected it right away from my family history. Even though I "passed" his screening my levels showed hypothyroid through the blood test. So if they haven't done a blood test at your physical you might have it. My mom and sister are both hypothyroid. I knew about my sister, but not my mom until just the other day when I asked her some questions for my medical history form. I wish I'd known earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Myles! You bad girl you. I'm glad you feel better having told someone!

I used to be into that whole scene...in fact the last guy I dated before I exclusively ended up with DH was really into it too, and we made out in the rain at a Ren fest one year...sigh...
    How I ended up down the more straight and narrow path I don't know.

Erin I'm jealous! I wish I were there!
    LOL Erin about Dragon Con! I was into that scene for a while, too, when I dated the Author. It was a conscious choice to leave all that behind. I actually think my author acquaintance I have on my facebook posted about going to Dragon Con - Erin, maybe you should go stalk him and say hello for me! LOL!

Gwen, be care not to expect too much from the thyroid. Chances are that if you were a 3 or 3.4, symptoms wouldn't be all that strong or noticeable. You might not really feel much of a change from the meds. The only thing I notice when I have been off mine for a week is water weight gain. the few times I did that (forgot to get the meds filled), I can gain like 10 lbs in a week and lose it when I get back on...all water. Course I'm quite a bit bigger than you are so 10 lbs doesn't go as far.
    I think that I was a 5.5 TSH when I was put on meds and stable for a long time now around 1.4-1.75.
    I am on levothyroxine right now but I was on armour thyroid for years and years....about a year ago they had major back order issues and so I had to switch. I looked it up today and saw that isn't a problem anymore so I will see if the doc will switch me back next time I go in. I think that I'm due over the winter. I do think that I felt a bit better on that than I do on the synthroid.

I couldn't say that depression is from that or not. I would think that with the the deployment, family, and IF would be more than enough for that. Really it's very super common in IF....I have done a lot of work for the IF clinic over the past 5 years on hope and depression in IF and there was a lot out there on that. I don't know that I would have called myself depressed but I sure had some moments and I did kind of take up drinking and getting myself in a bit of trouble with that. Finally realized I am not good at having it in the house so we don't. I'm back on WW again and I just don't have enough points for drinks every night.

Now if you are actually a 3 or 3.4....the meds should be just what you need to get pg! Which of course is the most important thing!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

The first time I ever got tested for thyroid my TSH was a 98. I had absolutely no symptoms beyond my normal tiredness (I have been exhausted since I was a child for no reason at all). I didn't have weight issues or any other problem. I can't even remember why I was tested. Weird to be so off the charts but not have any major issues or symptoms.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Quote Originally Posted by girlwonder View Post
    The first time I ever got tested for thyroid my TSH was a 98. I had absolutely no symptoms beyond my normal tiredness (I have been exhausted since I was a child for no reason at all). I didn't have weight issues or any other problem. I can't even remember why I was tested. Weird to be so off the charts but not have any major issues or symptoms.
    That is so high!!!!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I must have misheard the nurse. She sent me the info and my TSH was 4.8 - so higher than I thought. If it just helps me be not so tired all the time, I'll be happy. I can deal with the rest of it.

Katy, are you on thyroid meds? Did it help with the tiredness?
    Last edited by Gwenn; 09-02-2011 at 08:42 PM.