Page 765 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 265 665 715 755763764765766767 775 815 865 1265 ... LastLast
Results 22,921 to 22,950 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I am actually hoping that I can take my mom to Disney World for her bday next year. She's never been and LOVES Mickey Mouse. I went once when I was younger with a church that I went too. I was one of those charity cases who couldn't afford to pay for the ticket It was fun, we went around July 4th so they had a really awesome parade with fireworks, it was really neat I'm cheap though and don't want to spend that much money to go back

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Bridget I hope you find a sleeping arrangement that works for you It sounds like you are going to be super busy in the coming weeks!

Chrissy I am sorry your so stressed.

Classes only started yesterday and I'm freaking out already I have assignments due on Thursday and have NO clue WTH I am doing

It will get easier Christina. Don't focus on everything that has to be done, but rather break it up into manageable bits. You'll get it done! And it'll be easier that way too.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Mylah, those mosaics were incredible. I had never seen them before, and I can see them taking years to do.

Dh and I have both been to Disneyland several times as kids, and have no desire to return. I will do it if I have to, but we both feel like if they get to go on a school trip, or with a friend's family, we'll be more than happy to let them go then so we can get out of it. I get "It's a Small World" stuck in my head just writing about it. Argh, all day now, repeating jangly tune.

I'm at work today. Everyone had fevers yesterday, so my planned special trip to Children's Fairyland for the members-only event was canceled, but the twins were so awesome. They spent pretty much all day playing together, one game after another. They pretended to be camping, then airplanes, then color kittens, then construction site. They were so good! Baby S. was involved sometimes. We did some painting and stuff, but mostly I felt like I was interfering when I did an activity.

Dh came home and they were swooping around like crazy, and he said "I think it's a mistake to give them cocaine this close to bedtime." I replied, "Sorry, I guess I just misjudged the dose. I didn't want them to be all listless when you got here." and he laughed.

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    Dh came home and they were swooping around like crazy, and he said "I think it's a mistake to give them cocaine this close to bedtime." I replied, "Sorry, I guess I just misjudged the dose. I didn't want them to be all listless when you got here." and he laughed.
    I love that sort of banter!

L this had me cracking up!

Thanks Chrissy, I am just doubting myself so much and I really need to stop it. It's not helping anything "I think I can, I think I can"

Of course you can do it. When I was doing it, I had to have a little calendar and I would set aside blocks of 1-2 hour timeslots and fill in which assignment (or section of assignment) I would work on during that time. It helped a lot.

Thats a good idea! It's so hard to really schedule anything since DH schedule is all crazy. Some days he's home by 6 others its after 9 I brought one of my books with me today to work (the one that feels the most challenging) and plan on doing some reading on my pump breaks. Figured I might as well do something productive while I'm sitting there for 30mins. After this week I think it'll be a little easier. It's just not knowing the assignment til Monday and having to have it done by Thursday is a little intimidating. After this week at least I should know the assignments ahead of time and be able to work on it over the weekend.

That will definitely help! I did most my schoolwork on weekends as well.

And using your pump break to read/study is also a good utilization of time. I returned to college when Conner was 2 weeks old. School was roughly 50 minutes from my home and I used to pump while driving

Now thats talent Chrissy!

Mommas can be very resourceful.

Oh I hated at the beginning of a term you didn't have a first weekend to do that first assignment. I liked doing homework on weekends mostly too.

I didn't think that our disney trip was too bad....about 2K for two adults and we were gone 10 days. We drove from WI to FL so there was gas and one hotel each way. We had my sister with us so she paid 1/3 and we did 2/3 of that. The house was a week and was $150 a night since wasn't peak season yet and we split that five ways (DH, me, my sister, my MIL and her DH). Two tickets...we did the 5 days of those and added the park hopper option. And we also saw the Cirque du Soleil show there.
    Getting the house was the best thing ever. Even had a private screened in pool. My MIL said she would have been happy to just hang out at the house for a week by the pool.
    I think that next time we go we will need a 4-5 bedroom house again (comes with usually 3-4 bathrooms). I'm sure that my sister will want to go, my parents will want to go and my MIL will want to go. When you split the cost of the house with that many other people.....it helps a LOT with price.

Dh wants to wait until our kid is old enough to remember the trip. But I think that I will be able to talk him into going as a toddler and again when older. The toddler trip will be for us to see the and remember.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Conner was 2.5 when we went to AZ and he remembers a lot about it. It's really shocking, actually. He will often bring up flying on an airplane to see his best friend Mikey (ShannonG's son). He even makes motions with his arm to show how the plane bounced due to turbulence!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Bridget, I forgot to say how proud I was of Savana, reading about her riding her bike. I got a tear in my eye! I keep peeking in here and then forgetting to post about what I read.

I keep peeking in here and then forgetting to post about what I read.
    I do that too! I might read it quickly at night but usually post during the day and don't always remember what I read the night before and wanted to comment on.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I also poke in and out. Sometimes I poke in and read at work and type up a response but then get busy and by the time I post, APA logs me out so I lose the post then I am like fuming mad for a second LOL!

But Chrissy I would NEVER spend 6K on a vacation!!! I am way to cheap for that! Ours will be less than 2K for our family of 4. It will actually be less than $1500. I always budget vacations at $1500 or less. I may go up to 3K when Ky is older. I would like to take him to Africa to volunteer when he is a teenager and that will be pricey, but I am going to try to get in touch with a group where it can be tax deductible so I can write some of that trip off during tax time. It is just amazing to me though that a domestic vacation will cost that much. And it is amazing that the bulk of our trip will be admission to Disney and Universal. That will be $600-$800 alone ($800 if I pay for Elle, which I more than likely will not and hope that I won't have a string of misfortune due to telling a lie or lying by omission by indicating she is still 2). My MIL is coming with us so she is going to pay for half of the house we are renting, it is less than $500 for the time we are staying and I will drive my van. The drive is only 6-7 hours so I doubt that it will be more than $150 round trip for gas. My van gets excellent gas mileage on the highway.

Erin
    Last edited by Ky'sMom; 08-30-2011 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Doesn't Disney have some packages that include meals? I've researched them and saw one where we could have stayed 4 nights, including meals, for under $6,000. Maybe it was a deal of the century (it was a couple years ago) but I thought that was a good price for a family of 6.
    Oh, is that all?

I guess I'd go if under $6000 meant something like $60. Ha ha ha!

Erin, the problem I've found with volunteer orgs that go to Africa is that it's hard to find ones that aren't affiliated with a church or religion in some way. My girlfriend and I thought we found one and were going to do a charity volunteer trip by bike around Lake Malawi with a Scottish Christian charity that swore we wouldn't have to do any proseletyzing. We were to pay our own plane fare AND had to raise $3500 in donations to qualify. That was nearly off-putting by itself. But a little more research on Google pointed up some articles where the charity was accused of misappropriating funds, and there was evidence that 75,000 pounds had been spent for the director to take his wife and children on a "fundraising trip" to Disneyworld (speaking of...) So that put a stop to our Malawi plans. Anyway, if you do find an organization in Africa that you like, please let me know about it.

Bridget, I forgot to say how proud I was of Savana, reading about her riding her bike. I got a tear in my eye! I keep peeking in here and then forgetting to post about what I read.
    Thank you!

We are off to Milwaukee today to go to the zoo. No daycare so we have to venture out!

My mom sent me a care package today full of Reeses Buttercups. And my elderly neighbor baked an apple pie and mince meat pie for us. I think there is a conspiracy to fatten me up!
    Last edited by AmeriBrit; 08-31-2011 at 06:34 AM.

That sounds fun, Bridget!

I'm taking the boys with me in to town to buy Cash a birthday cake. He turns one on Friday!

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Oh, is that all?

Erin, the problem I've found with volunteer orgs that go to Africa is that it's hard to find ones that aren't affiliated with a church or religion in some way. My girlfriend and I thought we found one and were going to do a charity volunteer trip by bike around Lake Malawi with a Scottish Christian charity that swore we wouldn't have to do any proseletyzing. We were to pay our own plane fare AND had to raise $3500 in donations to qualify. That was nearly off-putting by itself. But a little more research on Google pointed up some articles where the charity was accused of misappropriating funds, and there was evidence that 75,000 pounds had been spent for the director to take his wife and children on a "fundraising trip" to Disneyworld (speaking of...) So that put a stop to our Malawi plans. Anyway, if you do find an organization in Africa that you like, please let me know about it.

I am having some issues finding one that I like. A friend of mine from college (that I need to look up again because I lost his contact info) did a study abroad in Uganda and told me about an organization there that he did some volunteer work for after his study abroad but I cannot remember the name. He was religious but not Christian or Muslim, I can't remember which something like Rastafarianism (which I see more as a philosophy versus a religion) and he was against missionary work like I am. Won't get into my reasons here but I do have reasons. So I am going to try to track him down through a mutual friend to see if he remembers what the name was. I am also doing some reasearch of other organizations. I have some time though since I am not planning on doing this until Ky is around 14 or 15, maybe even 16. I want him to know during the height of teenagedom how great he has it here and to be thankful for the luxuries he possesses and also about how success in life and happiness is not determined by how much money or stuff you have but can be about helping others in need.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    My mom sent me a care package today full of Reeses Buttercups. And my elderly neighbor baked an apple pie and mince meat pie for us. I think there is a conspiracy to fatten me up!

LOL Ash, just don't eat all of them on the same day!

Erin

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Thank you!

We are off to Milwaukee today to go to the zoo. No daycare so we have to venture out!
    Have fun! That is in my old neighborhood! It's such a great zoo.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Oh, is that all?

I guess it's all relative. 5 or 6 days with 6 people (4 of them eating as adults) including airfare is a little pricey no matter where you go. When we traveled AZ I spent around $5,000 including airfare for 5 of us, and there weren't any theme park rides involved.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Thank you!

Forgot to say. Hope you all have a great time!

Erin

I have been looking into going to Mexico for Christmas break, and it is prohibitively expensive. I cannot countenance spending that much on a vacation without going halfway around the world. I just knew that adding one more person to our family was going to make a huge difference for our vacations, too - I'm not blaming baby S. since it's not his fault, and we talked about this before he was conceived, but a family of 5 on vacation vs. a family of 4 is the difference between two hotel rooms vs. one a lot of times. Multiply that times a week and it's very costly. Sigh.

Unfortunately, I had already started talking about Mexico to the kids. I want to go. I had already proposed to make it a family trip, and suggested to my mom and to my sister and bil that they look into meeting us there, and asked dh to ask his mom about going, too. I think I need to try to make it work.

Erin, maybe some of the international food relief organizations would be a good bet?

Bridget, have a great time at the zoo!

They really want you to get another hotel room? I would think later on sure but at the ages of the three kids that one room with the parents would still work just fine.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Have fun bridget! I don't think I've ever been to a zoo that I can remember

L I think its kind of ridiculous that they would want you to get 2 rooms, especially like Jennifer said with your LO's being so young

I figured out why I am SO completely lost in my Intermediate Accounting class, apprently there are two pre-reqs that my advisor skipped over for some reason I took some accounting classes when I was obtaining my A.A. but I didn't realize they were going to count for those courses. Those classes were over 2 years ago, this is going to be fun

Are you going to add/drop and take the two pre-reqs?

The classes from when I took my A.A. at the community college count as those classes (the pre-reqs) I don't really want to spend the money to retake them, if I already have the credits KWIM?? I dont' know, I left a message with the advisor and I'll talk to her when I hear back. At this point though, it would take me over a week to receive my books and I think it would just put me too far behind.

I'm hoping DH didn't throw out my old books so I can pull them out and refer to them again. It would probably help alot to just refresh my memory.

Is it weird that I'm excited cause its challenging