Page 718 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2186186687087167177187197207287688181218 ... LastLast
Results 21,511 to 21,540 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by katycat24 View Post
    We were at a little party last week and we were talking about food preferences. I said "I like fruit and cookies" and one of the women said "Are you a toddler?!" tee hee.
    Too funny!!!

I'm not big on sweets at all. I really don't like cake, and there are only a couple donuts that I like a few times a year.

I'll eat broccoli and onion dip till I get a gut ache though.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I don't like sweets either. I like cheese, and salty snacks.

I'm not a big sweets fan... Never have been. I am married to a diabetic to be The man can eat a whole box of Oreo's or Chip Ahoy's without even blinking an eye

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I don't like sweets either. I like cheese, and salty snacks.
    Ditto!

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

I checked the school district's web site. They do have pre-K, but it's not clear if it's full day or 1/2 day. If it's full day, I may as well enroll him in regular Kindergarten. I think I'll call the school next week and see what they say.

We got home at about 3:30 this afternoon and weren't here long when our landlords pulled up the driveway. They had scheduled 3 people to look at the house this afternoon and only 2 showed up. They went to dinner and the 3rd person asked if it was too late to come over. They were really apologetic but asked if it was ok if they came over as well. What could I say? I guess I didn't mind, but at this point I can't get out of here fast enough. It's becoming more and more difficult to keep the house clean PLUS pack at the same time. We only had a chance to pack Conner's toys today. The rest of the day we were cleaning, at the old house, shopping for a water heater, or cooking dinner. I NEED more time to pack!!

Oh-and my girls and their social lives!! Goodness...I had to put my foot down and just tell them in no uncertain terms that this entire week they will be packing. The only friends that can come over are ones that are willing to pitch in.

I think that's a fair deal Chrissy. You shouldn't have to pack all their stuff plus yours.

Good luck this week, Chrissy!

After fessin' up earlier about my compulsive sugar eating, I did a little surfing on it. I have to figure out a way to get on top of it - I don't want diabetes and heart disease. Need to start a food diary where I actually WRITE DOWN everything, even the little slips than no one really needs to know about (entire bag of ginger snaps? check. I'm already at the store so I might as well by two different kinds of candy so I don't have to come back, etc.)

I'm really tired of being fat and controlled by food. I used to smoke, so I think I have just transferred from one "drug" to another. I am actually finding it hard to leave the house on some days because I am so embarrassed about how I look.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Oh that really makes me sad. Do you like that sugar free flavored water stuff? That's supposed to fill you up, and perhaps it'll quiet your sweet tooth? I'm really a fan of the raspberry flavor myself.

If any of you need a food tracking site, my fitness pal is pretty good. You can track your food but you can control who sees it...like if you don't officially finish the day's diary it won't post to your timeline or anything.

I have CalorieKing and have had it for well over a year. I'm really good about tracking what I eat for a while, but then I have a day where I binge and I don't record it so I don't have to think about it, or else I eat something that is hard to record (portion sizes, amounts of each ingredient, etc.) and I get lazy about it and then I just get off track for months at a time.

I'm just so frustrated because I have been so good at working out, running four times a week, kickboxing at least once and usually twice a week (REAL kickboxing, not an aerobics class), yoga once a week, lifting weights once a week - I am CONSTANTLY working out and actually weigh 10 pounds MORE than I did last November when I started running (and no, it is definitely not muscle). I feel like something is wrong with me - I have Hashimoto's but that is being monitored by an endocrinologist. My metabolism measured as actually higher than most people according to her.

Chrissy, I think my problem is that once I taste something sweet it is just a trigger and it doesn't really matter if it is actual sugar or fake sugar. The taste is enough to get me stuck. I think when I get back from Chile I will have to go cold turkey if I can. Got to do more surfing and figure out the best way to "detox" from sugar. Even that makes me crazy, though. This week I have been eating all the candy that I won't be able to eat again once I stop eating sugar

Sorry to be so venty tonight, but I am feeling so defeated right now about it all. It just makes me want to cry.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

You're not venty...it's important to get this stuff out. No reason to keep it to yourself.

I think you're right about going cold turkey. I seem to recall reading that and when I was struggling to lose weight it certainly helped me to avoid all my temptations for a long time.

I was a smoker and gained about 30 lbs. I honestly don't believe I compensated with food...I mean, I tracked calories (averaged less than 1500 a day without trying) and I was running 3 miles a day, 5 or 6 days a week and I would bounce between 150-160. I know the feeling of frustration you're talking about.

I did pick smoking up again and miraculously (coincidentally?) dropped 25 lbs. I even quit tracking calories and running. I'm NOT suggesting you do any such thing, but I'm wondering if that addiction to nicotine does something to our metabolism?

I've read a lot about nicotine and for a few people it does speed their metabolism up enough to keep that sort of weight off. I'm committed to quitting again this fall and I'm seriously thinking about switching to the patch as a permanent thing. Call me crazy, but there don't seem to be any real risks (except increased blood pressure and mine is very low-I'll keep a watch on it) and of course the addiction thing. But the cancer you get from cigarettes isn't from nicotine. It actually has health benefits and many athletes use it.

Again, I'm not suggesting you do those things but letting you know you're not alone. I got desperate with trying to manage my weight and use cigarettes. I wish I hadn't

If I can get off cigarettes altogether I'm going to run and do weights as well. I know it takes a loooonnnngggg time and that is so frustrating.

My real advice is to just get back to it. Quit the sweets cold turkey, continue with your workouts and calorie tracking. If you have 1 bad day, just immediately pick up the next day. 1 day will NOT destroy all the work you've done. Even if a week slips by, it doesn't matter. Don't give up on yourself.

Thanks Chrissy. I just wish I had more control over myself. I def. Think there is a correlation btw nicotine and sugar/weight. My lowest weight when I was smoking was 104, now I weigh 148. I hate even seeing that, might have to erase it. I have added almost a third me in the past 7 years, the happiest and healthiest I have ever been, but the unhealthiest and unhappiest result. Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Oh that really makes me sad. Do you like that sugar free flavored water stuff? That's supposed to fill you up, and perhaps it'll quiet your sweet tooth? I'm really a fan of the raspberry flavor myself.
    Actually that is almost if not for sure worse than regular sugar. Sucks big time because I LOVE diet mt dew and like pretty well crystal light. And I keep coming across more and more info that is finding that the fake sugar makes you crave sugar more, eat more, have more metabolic syndrome (and thin people can have that too, not just fat people), and have bigger waists.

I'm so trying to figure out how to get off the diet pop....I did without pop at all for 18 months after surgery and I clearly can see that when I started drinking diet pop again is when I stopped losing the weight and started regaining it. Yet I haven't stopped yet even though I know I need to.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Katy, have you had any labs done recently? Are you taking the meds any differently...time of day or suddenly with food or other pills?
    I don't know if I have Hashimoto...as far as I know I was never tested. But I do have low thyroid and take that every morning. If I skip a few days, I will put on a lot of weight...something like 10 lbs in water.

I need to get back on track myself. I only do good for like a week counting and keeping track on ww and if I get off track, it's like a long off track. I was at my very lowest weight in April 2006....I would kill to be back there again. I was 204 (and nope not super tall, I'm 5'5) but i felt so great there. 18 months before that in 2004, I was over 360. Now I'm at least still under the 300 range but higher in the 200's than I feel good being. I need to knock off 40-50 lbs again.

So I did at least one good thing this week...I actually worked out Tues, Thurs and today. I meant to do it yesterday to be on every other day but I had a pretty bad leg cramp that kept wanting to cramp up again all day. I have an elliptical and have been able to do about 15-16 minutes on that with some stretching afterwards. I'm thinking that maybe if we have the money we can get a weight machine for xmas since we have space in the basement. But first I need to workout regularly on the elliptical before DH will be willing to spend more money.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I have an addiction to sugary drinks and I'm honestly scared of sugar substitutes. I've been drinking a lot of iced tea, brewed at home with no sugar. If you get a nice flavored tea it's really good. Right now we're drinking one with jasmine pearls and the last batch was ginger coconut. It actually satisfies my craving for sweet drinks pretty well.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I wish it were easy to maintain the weight we liked. For whatever it's worth Katy, I think you look great. I wouldn't pick you out as someone with a weight 'issue' but I know that doesn't really mean a whole lot when you're staring yourself in the mirror and feeling like the Queen of People of Walmart. (that's how I would sometimes feel).

I'm running into roadblocks already with the PreK registration. There are two elementary schools and I did get the go ahead to register Conner in the one that is in my mother's 'zone' rather than where our house is. Good for Conner-not too much change. And it is just 1/2 day. But...I don't know if they provide transportation and the school is over a mile, maybe 2 miles, from my mom's house. My mom doesn't drive.

Also, when I register him I need two proofs of residency and I don't think I have that. I might have a tax receipt from a couple years ago but I doubt they'll accept that. The guy said they only have a few openings left at that school (and none at the other) so to register him asap. I also don't have time to use to take off work. I'm sure it'll work out somehow, but I really don't need this extra bit of stress.

I've decided that pre-k is the best option. Oh, and Mandy they do integrate kids with special needs at this school. Those that are part of the Franziska Racker Center (sp?) go to the public school. They have assistants if needed. I think some have their parent or grandparent sometimes too.

Good luck Chrissy. It sounds like a headache on top of everything else but Josh really loves preschool. (be prepared for "I don't want to go!" and then being fine when he gets there, though. LOL)

Sydney did the same thing to me

LOL
    For about the first month he'd be all ready, backpack on, an hour before we had to go..as the months passed he became less enthusiastic but was always happy to be there by the time we got there.

Sydney used to have melt-downs every day on her way to preschool...kicking, screaming, freaking out. She was always fine once we walked in the front door, but getting ready and the 5 minute car ride were a dreaded nightmare. I never understood it, but now that she has issues spending the night at friend's houses I'm convinced she was experiencing anxiety.

Poor kid I always feel so bad to see those kids at school, crying every day.

By the time we got in the door, she'd be totally fine. But yeah, it was emotionally very difficult to take her there every day.

I'm pretty sure I had anxiety throughout my early school years. In fact, I remember when I started 5th grade we had to change to a different school (one was K-4 and there was another one just for 5-6) and I actually had nightmares about getting lost in the school and not knowing where things were. It makes me so sad now to look back on that. Sometimes I just wish I could go back and do everything over, knowing what I know now. But I really wouldn't want to relive certain stages like being a teenager!

I'm glad you found an option for Conner and good luck getting him registered and working out the kinks.

I still have dreams about getting lost at school! I think those dreams are supposed to symbolize something.

I never had a problem with school...until college lol

Hiya. Started the new job today. They gave us "work from home" tokens, so I'm hopeful that means what I think it means. This other girl I share an office with who also started today came from the same company I just left, and we talked about how we hope to be able to telecommute as before. She could barely contain herself when she saw the little tokens being handed out. She gave me the thumbs up when no one was looking, and I returned a with a fingers crossed. LOL. I'm still not assuming we're going to be as free to work from home as the last place. It's all "shopping" data, with images, so part of my job involves looking at pictures of clothes they sell, which to me means endless inspiration for my sewing projects. That's all I have to report on the new gig so far. Nothing bad to say about it yet.
    Last edited by demigraf; 07-11-2011 at 05:13 PM.

Cool Myles! Hope it continues to go well!

Myles, hope you can work at home often. Not having anything bad to say about the job is great news!
    I had a really hard time being without my mom as a kid. I was so shy. I remember standing on the soccer field when I was 5 years old and just crying the whole time until my mom walked out and got me and took me home. In fact, I told that story to a 5 year old that I take care of after his mom belittled him in front of me because she signed him up for tball and he stood on the field and cried. Poor little dude.
    Also, I dreaded school every day for years. I just wanted to be at home. Then I became very, very social in high school and in my twenties I couldn't stand to be alone. That's why I had to go out every night.
    And now I've come full circle. I like to stay home and I always feel like the odd man out in social settings.

Speaking of anxiety. Savana did her dance class tonight!!
    I told her a great story thanks to Molly (Abbeysmom) about how her fear is this monster (I used a big ball of raw wool as a prop) and every time she does the class, the monster gets a little smaller until it's just a little wisp she can blow to the wind. She was very receptive of that story and I retold it all week. Then this morning I told her that her dad really wanted to take her to dance class since he never gets to see her do it. She was hesitant about that but she went and he said she did the class like a pro. I am so happy for her.

Oh Bridget that's wonderful news about Savana being able to do her dance class!!

I feel bad for the poor little boy that was belittled by his mother. Why are some parents so mean to their own children?

Myles, I'm glad your first day went well. I wonder what the tokens really signify? Are they good for a whole day? Or just one hour?

Bridget, that's such great news about Savana going to dance class! I'm so excited for her!

Myles, glad the new job is going well so far!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I'm so, so happy Savana went to her dance class!!!!!!!!!

Let me add, !!!!!!!!

Mylah, kudos on working from home tokens.

I am having my third AF in 5 weeks since starting to wean baby S. and it sucks. I have never bled this heavily in my life. I went through $10 worth of tampons in 3 days. It's finally starting to slow down, but I ruined a set of sheets, and I've never done that before, either. I woke up in a puddle of blood, having soaked through everything in hours. It was awful. On the bright side, it didn't start when I was camping, because I normally carry only a few "teen size" tampons along with me normally. Whew.

I'm making steak for dinner every night this week. Just in case I'm anemic, and because it sounds good. I'm hoping this is just a weird my-body-is-adjusting and not some post-tubal-ligation syndrome.

And then last night Soren decided he was miserable and cried all night long. I took him out to the living room after it became apparent he was inconsolable, and he finally started fitfully sleeping at around 5 AM, occasionally whimpering in his sleep. I had to leave for work at 6:30 AM. I thought I was going to have to leave early to take him to the doctor, after running all kinds of differential diagnoses through my head, but it looks like he was just getting a cold and he's been cranky but not overly upset today. We're going to be flying soon and I'm hoping he doesn't pull this screaming non-stop thing on the airplane. Barring that, I'm just glad that people aren't allowed to bring knives on board, because I'm not sure I'd be safe. He continues to hold the record of the loudest baby I've ever had. I can't believe he pulled an all-nighter because of a cold.

Have I mentioned I feel sleep-deprived and cranky? Dh is being very solicitous.