Page 714 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2146146647047127137147157167247648141214 ... LastLast
Results 21,391 to 21,420 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Personally I wouldn't care if they didn't like me being there. If I needed to pack I would. I think that it's different when you are the seller. Unless your lease says something different. Or like you said, maybe you will be ready for the break!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I'm afraid they'll ask me about the schools and I won't be able to stop a wince. j/k

I'll make myself a deal...if I really do pack like crazy and it gets to be 12:30 I'm gonna take a break. If I slack off, then I won't let myself leave.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Chrissy it seems like you have the world on your shoulders and you sure keep your head up. I really admire you. Moving is very stressful and you guys have all that work at the other place on top of it. You are one tough mama!

I am canceling my thursday night dinner with dad and bro. I never do that! But I got a mere couple hours sleep last night and my neck has that sure feeling of one wrong move will result in a headache. I shouldn't make the drive.

Did I tell you guys we gave Sawyer a taste of apple last week? He loved it! The second pic is when Mark tried to pull it away. Sawyer grabbed it out of his hands! He's just 5 mos so not officially starting solids yet.

I'm just reading up now on what I've missed so far and have only made it to the end of the previous page. So forgive me if I'm living in the past but...

Kate, that Josh story is the best! I love it. He must have watched you in the kitchen all this time and finally wanted to try something all on his own. How are his swim classes?

Erin & Lydia, I am so sorry for your crazy neighbors. We have a couple of gray-haried blowhards in 2 houses across from us - men in their 60s - who yell and threaten each other from their front porches about each other's dogs. And EVERYONE seems to let their dogs use our ivy hill as their bathroom, even the nice neighbors (DH is building a fence and I am going to paint a sign that says "Please pick up after your best friend's doo-doo"). And sometimes kids party and leave trash on the street (there's a discarded baseball bat that's been sitting across from my house all week). And one time in May, someone set off M80 fireworks in our canyon at 3am (it's a big canyon, so no one in our immediate vicinity). But we have neighbors we really like too, so I'm thinking it's a pretty balanced neighborhood we live in. The craziest neighbor we had was the guy down south we had to take to court for shooting at our dogs. That was super stressful at the time.

OK, back to reading from the top of this page.
    Last edited by demigraf; 07-07-2011 at 11:51 AM.

That apple photo of Sawyer is awesome. I love babies when they set their minds to something. I'm sorry he's not sleeping well. Around 4.5 months, Bodhi stopped STTN, and he hasn't really since then. I think it was his teeth. He used to cry and scream and the only thing that would make him calm down was doing the "airplane", which meant flying him around the room with his tummy on our forearms. He liked the flying feeling, which meant that we couldn't support some of his weight on our bodies, which meant it was all arm strength. We had some really exhausting 2 AMs around that period of time. So I'm sorry you're in the thick of it right now. It will pass, mama, as you know.

On interrupting, I don't know at what age it really starts to stick, but we've set the rules for Bodhi when we read him stories at night. He loves to comment and explain back to me what I've read to him. And that's fine, and I leave time for him to talk about the book every page or so, but he knows it's not right to start talking while we're reading. I can see him trying, and he responds to corrections, but he definitely can't control himself sometimes.

He says some really cheeky things nowadays. When I gave him a kiss yesterday, he said "Never kiss me again." (he's really into the word 'never' these days). And whenever we read to him we always read the page that says "This book belongs to <Bodhi>" if it has one, and he immediately, quietly rattles off "I don't want it" and laughs. It's like this silly routine he has. *grins* Yep, I'm still nuts about my kid.

Chrissy, I would find out from your landlord what's expected of you on Sunday. He or she needs to understand that you work during the week and your weekends are the only time you have to get things done. I'd insist on not having to leave the house. You still are the paying tenant, and he can't use the property in a way that disrupts your life (without having to compensate you for it.)

On another note, I am SO hungry!

I'm off to Zumba, y'all...I'll let you know how it goes when I get back!!!

Interrupting is perfectly normal in young kids. That said, it's something I'm very aware of because I spent a lot of time teaching "turn-taking" to my kids. I started young, but I did that because the kids I worked with don't develop normal conversational skills without help. So I think as a parent I would address it in a mild way starting from a pretty young age, but it is completely normal.

That is so cute about Bodhi!
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

We were doing "No interrupting" stickers on our daily reward sticker charts for a while. We concentrate for a while on specific behaviors, like cleaning up, or table manners, or not interrupting. They got the concept, kind of, and I could warn them before I started a phone call or a brief conversation that I was about to talk to someone and they should be careful to not interrupt until I was done, but they could not just see on their own that I was talking and realize they needed to wait. And we kind of gave up on that sticker because it was so impossible to achieve.

Our friend with the same-age boy was getting really exasperated with his child because he was constantly interrupting while he was on the phone. Well, for one thing he is on the phone all the time. And for another, I reminded him, you just can't expect a child this age to realize automatically that he can't talk when you're on the phone unless you explicitly state it pretty much every single time. And even then he'll probably forget. I cannot make phone calls except during my commute home from work.

Mylah, have you seen those discreet signs people put in their yards to warn against dogs pooping? Let me see if I can find one for you... wow, I found 27. And great, Amazon is going to store that search in my history forever.

Those pics of Sawyer are great!!

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    I'm off to Zumba, y'all...I'll let you know how it goes when I get back!!!
    I love Zumba! I hope you get a good giggle out of that move where you pump the air with your arms (like you're doing rapid chest presses on a machine) and simulataneously hump the air with your hips. I could never do that without cracking up.

Aww Sawyer is so cute!

Myles, what are the laws about dogs doo in your area. I would be pretty angry if one of mine were doing that (pretty much most houses on my street have a dog). We don't have a fences and I don't think that we can have them so I worked really hard to make sure that Cosmo knows her property line....our only attached neighbor thought I had an electronic fence because of how she stops right at the line.
    Here it is illegal to not pick up after the dog.

So I scheduled our home visit!!!! August 5th and after that visit, we will be officially a waiting family.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

My sister loves Zumba too. She was trying to talk me into going but I'm super uncoordinated so don't think that it is the thing for me.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Yay for the home visit!

LOL! Lydia...

It's more my nature to put up a polite, hand-painted sign on scrap wood, but I have the feeling that my two "shouty" neighbors would respond better to the 3rd one.

Cute pictures of Sawyer!

The swim classes are not great...he pretty much refuses to let go of my neck. I managed to get him to do a couple things today and he was not happy. I don't want to push him so hard that he ends up hating it but I don't want to waste the classes either with him just clinging to my neck. I think when this session is over we'll enroll in the 2 month class of the same thing. He's definitely not ready to go in the water without me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Aww Sawyer is so cute!

Myles, what are the laws about dogs doo in your area. I would be pretty angry if one of mine were doing that (pretty much most houses on my street have a dog). We don't have a fences and I don't think that we can have them so I worked really hard to make sure that Cosmo knows her property line....our only attached neighbor thought I had an electronic fence because of how she stops right at the line.
    Here it is illegal to not pick up after the dog.

So I scheduled our home visit!!!! August 5th and after that visit, we will be officially a waiting family.
    Whoo-hoo! But August 5th seems so far away from now. Can't you just invite an inspector over for tea? LOL. I'm so excited for you and feel very honored to get to watch your journey at this early stage.

(On an only slightly related note, I remember waiting for a home visit from a dog-rescue inspector that took FOREVER. I had my heart set on a Bouvier des Flandres when we started looking for a doggie. I found one to adopt, but it turned out the breed "rescue league" was really more of an operation for former show dog owners to sell off the dogs that were past their prime. It would have cost me $700 to "rescue" a dog that had been pampered and groomed its whole life. I just couldn't stomach that, even though a Bouvier is still my dream dog.)

As for the poop laws, there's a city ordinance about scooping. But since my neighborhood is on the edge of a woods, it's become customary for the dogs to wander without a leash (mine don't, but only because I don't trust them without me). I'm guessing the owners think their dogs are pooping in the woods. I like a leashless neighborhood, so I don't want to insist the owners have to be with their dogs every second they're roaming. The negative impact of that is that owners don't mind their pups to see where their pets go. So I guess the trade-off is pups that poop on my property.
    Last edited by demigraf; 07-07-2011 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Cute pictures of Sawyer!

The swim classes are not great...he pretty much refuses to let go of my neck. I managed to get him to do a couple things today and he was not happy. I don't want to push him so hard that he ends up hating it but I don't want to waste the classes either with him just clinging to my neck. I think when this session is over we'll enroll in the 2 month class of the same thing. He's definitely not ready to go in the water without me.
    Oh, that's too bad. He'd done so well on his first day, that I had high hopes for Bodhi. But it sounds perfectly normal. I remember not letting go of the edge of the pool throughout my first set of lessons. I even remember the first time I realized I could swim. My teacher was pulling me by my finger tips and only after I looked up did she point out that she'd let go. That was an awesome day. Like the day I realized I could ride a bike. I can't wait for those moments for my little dude.

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    I love Zumba! I hope you get a good giggle out of that move where you pump the air with your arms (like you're doing rapid chest presses on a machine) and simulataneously hump the air with your hips. I could never do that without cracking up.
    It was great! That move was hilarious, especially because we were in a room with mirrors on every wall....I actually did't laugh too hard because I was concentrating on keeping time really hard and trying to get my pelvis to relax as I humped the air.....LOL!

Yaay! I hope it goes well!

My sister loves Zumba too. She was trying to talk me into going but I'm super uncoordinated so don't think that it is the thing for me.
    If I can do it, anyone can! I am the most 2 left-footed person in the world!

Bridget, those pics of Sawyer are sooo cute! He's like, 'that's my apple, dude!'

P.S. My Lulu looks sorta like a small version of a Bouvier, if you squint your eyes right? (she's the one in the 2nd pic)

Myles I can totally see it! Beautiful dog. Dh's favorite in the dog shows is the PBGB...I think that he likes saying the name.

Yeah August 5 seems far off BUT not really. Especially since we aren't finished with the paperwork and getting the house ready. I was going to do it July 29th until I realized my company is coming Thursday not Friday afternoon. But this way I can see if we can get a better cover picture taken and get the cover sheet made. And we haven't written the dear birth mom letter yet (I should say I haven't since I have done most of the work....DH helped the financial paperwork and did his own questionnnaire and his own autobiography.....I think that's pretty common that the wives do most of the paperwork). And I want to give the house a good deep cleaning.

Plus starting next two weeks, I'm on jury duty and won't know until the night before I will be in court or not.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Well, if you've been introducing Bodhi to water for some time, he might do better than Josh. Josh has never liked the water so I never pushed it. I should have gone more with him when he was little.

Jennifer, it's getting so close!!
    Myles, your pooch is so adorable.

Kate, I've been putting off signing the kids up for lessons because I'm afraid of the same scenario.

I am going through this quality improvement process to get a star rating for my daycare and with that comes a $500 grant to put toward my goals. I get 4 visits from a technical advisor before they decide to approve my goal or not. Today was her second visit. I thought she was coming tomorrow. That part didn't matter much because I had all the work done but when I heard someone come in the door (it was naptime) I was nursing Sawyer and 1/2 dozing on the chair. So I got up to greet her and said I was just going to lay Sawyer in the pack-n-play. When I bent over to lay him down I realized that I'd been totally given her the "boob wink"(my girlfriends and I always called it that after some unfortunate yet hilarious bikini mishaps while playing in the ocean)

I just pulled my dress strap up and didn't even say anything. She doesn't seem the type that would get a good laugh out of that. I chuckled to myself, however. That sort of thing has been happening a lot lately. Not this many people have seen my boobs since my early 20's.
    Last edited by Bridget; 07-07-2011 at 03:27 PM.

Oh no Bridget. Well not a big deal I guess, LOL At least she'll probably remember you!
    I'm trying not to get too worked up about the swim class, although it's a little sad to see 2-3 year olds doing all this stuff with a smile and laughing and Josh just crying and being scared I'm trying to tell myself it's not a total loss because at least he's getting in the water and observing kids doing it.

Kate it's definitely not a total loss. I say just keep at it and eventually he will realize it can be a lot of fun.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Jen - Do you have an idea of what you're going to write in your birth mom letter? Does the birth mother have any say in who the baby goes to?

Bridget - Classic! A nip slip! I wonder if she has any "technical advice" to offer for that occasion.

Going back to Bodhi's cheekiness: He's been really bossy and somewhat mean to other children lately. Steve just told me that he took him to playgroup, and he went over to play with his best bud. A little 3 yr old girl came over to them and he said "Go away! Leave us alone!" I have to confess that it makes me so sad for the little girl and so mortified to hear that my almost 2.5 year old treated someone that way. I know he's a toddler, and toddlers are very "me, me, me" at this age. But I just wonder what he's trying to get out of speaking to someone that way. Other kids his age aren't quite so forceful. I imagine Bodhi heard that same language directed at him from some of the older kids he spends time with at his pre-preschool, and that makes me sad too. Do you ladies have any techniques for dealing with "The Mean Meany Syndrome"?

Also, he stutters a lot at the beginning of his sentences. He often starts a sentence with "I, I, I ..." Is that pretty normal?
    Last edited by demigraf; 07-07-2011 at 05:00 PM.

Whole word repetitions are a normal part of language development - clinically we refer to it as "normal disfluency" rather than stuttering. The "normal" part should reassure you that it's normal! If you worry I can give you a rundown on the difference between stuttering and normal disfluency, but disfluency is a normal part of language development. It occurs in the toddler years when their brains begin to formulate ideas faster than they have the words to express them. Once that catches up (should be within 6 months) it will disappear.

I remember Josh did that "I I I" thing a lot at that age. He doesn't anymore but sometimes you can tell he's talking before he's thought it through, and he says things like "How about we um, how about um, how about we go to the zoo today?"

Exactly. I would be willing to bet most of us still do that every so often. I know I do!

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Exactly. I would be willing to bet most of us still do that every so often. I know I do!
    Not, uh, not ... not me.

Thanks for the explanation again, Gwenn. I feel sort of bad picking your brain without getting a bill in the mail for it. I actually think of a lot of questions to ask you, and then stop myself from asking them because I don't expect you to work for free in this thread. That said, it's very reassuring to hear that his disfluency (*smiles at new vocab word*) is normal. It's so awesome to have a resident speech therapist/pathologist in the house. I wish I had some skill to trade back. Do you have a need for corny jokes?

Don't worry, I get to read your fabulous posts and I love your writing! Seriously, I love being able to help out so don't worry about asking questions. I do what I do for money because I have a house and an unfortunate technology addiction, but if I could afford to, I would totally do it just for the love.

Although I once did agree to do a district evaluation for the daughter of a friend and coworker of mine and then wonder what I had gotten myself into. She's the type of person who doesn't take no for an answer, especially when her children are concerned, and I was worried she'd lose it if her kid didn't qualify for services. Fortunately, she did and I backtracked out of that situation quickly!