Page 708 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2086086586987067077087097107187588081208 ... LastLast
Results 21,211 to 21,240 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    It's supposed to rain today, but it's not looking like it.
    There's a dead bird on my driveway. Should I call animal control or suck it up and take care of it myself? I can throw it in the back corner where we burn leaves...I just don't want it on the driveway.
    I wouldn't call animal control for a bird. But I would make Mark deal with it.

I would call and ask them....they might want to track it because of West Nile Virus.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Yeah I called and they don't take care of dead animals on private property

On a totally big tangent, this guy I used to know in a Composting forum once composted his Golden Retriever when his beloved pet passed away.

Oh, that's sort of a sad topic, once you start thinking about your own animals...

==============

Lydia, your interpretation sounds like a really likely explanation for Ro's newfound, um, exuberance. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    On a totally big tangent, this guy I used to know in a Composting forum once composted his Golden Retriever when his beloved pet passed away.

Oh, that's sort of a sad topic, once you start thinking about your own animals...

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Oh wow. I'm all for recycling...but wow.

I can't help but think there has to be something terribly off about someone that would even think about trying something like that with their pet.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I can't help but think there has to be something terribly off about someone that would even think about trying something like that with their pet.
    ITA

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Well, in his defense composting would be no different then burying it. We have composted our pet fish. I know my good friend's dad threw her pet cat who died into the farm composter.

But don't you then later throw the compost onto the garden?

Yes! And you remember your dog when the flowers bloom in the spring!

I would NEVER be able to compost Cosmo. to me that would akin to composting my sister or my parents or DH. To me that would feel like treating my baby girl like kitchen scraps or trash.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I'd rather bury him under the tree and plant flowers on top. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I'd rather bury him under the tree and plant flowers on top. LOL
    Eh, tomato-tomahto

Yeah I don't want my dead dog's remains in my to mah toes

Touche!
    It's all dirt in the end.

But whatev. I actually wouldn't even do it either but i was just trying to stick up for some dude on some forum i have never met.

LOL No I get it. I'm just being silly. It's been a long day.

OMG has it ever.

I've asked myself a few times if I could do it and I'm undecided. The thought of it is unpleasant - to imagine the process of going from furball to loam, and frankly I don't have a bin that's voluminous and "hot" enough to decompose a large animal's remains without getting stinky and taking years. But in other ways, it would be totally compatible with my "green" principles and a nice way to return a loved being back to the land it enjoyed (and dug up my bulbs from)when it was alive.

After thinking about it, I think I would compost our dogs when they pass. I'm sure DH would not do it though. The dogs are more his dogs than family dogs IMO, but I am just not a big dog person anymore, I had very beloved pets though as a child and wouldn't mind composting them. Throwing them out in the trash is something I have seen people do and I would rather compost a dog than put them in a trash bag for collection. My stepdad was going to do that for a dog he bought that died a few days after he bought it of pneumonia. My brother and I took it out of the trash bag and buried it behind our house ourselves.

Erin

I couldn't do it to my pet. But then I can't fathom being cremated either, although I fully support anyone that chooses that for themselves. I'm just never gonna do it. Same with composting my pets. I'll pass, thanks. And yes, they're strange people!!

There's a natural cemetery not too far from me (outside of Ithaca) that I like the idea of. Basically they do nothing to your body other than wrap in a biodegradable shroud and stick you in the ground. No headstones or anything, but you can use river rocks to mark your loved ones grave if you wish and plant native-to-the-area foliage and flowers. The drawback is, it's 30 miles from my 'home' and a town I've never been to. For some reason the idea of being so far away bothers me---although intellectually I realize that's stupid. I just envision myself being buried on Cemetery Hill in my hometown. That hill overlooks the hill where I was raised and where I raised my kids. I'm a sentimental fool. Hopefully I'll outgrow that before I actually die.

When we took our cat to the vet and it turned out he had to be put down, we took him home. They put him in a cloth bag and taped it up and we buried him in the backyard under a tree and made a cement stone to put over it.

When I was a kid and my kitty died we buried her too and wrote on a cinderblock and put it over her grave.

OK now I'm depressed

For myself though, I don't know what I want. I don't think I want to be cremated but I'm not sure I want to be buried either.

I have always wanted to be cremated. I want my ashes thrown into the wind so that I could still travel the world. I always joke that I could land in a nice pile of garbage.

My mom has told me that she would not consent to me being cremated, that she would want me buried in our family plot, but I have never been body focused really and I don't see my body as "me" if you know what I mean so I really don't care too much about what happens to it when I die. I want any organs than can be, donated and then get cremated. Luckily, DH is supportive of my wishes though he doesn't want me to be cremated either as he says if I die young the kids wouldn't have a place to "visit me." So even though I like the idea of cremation, I let him know my wishes and told him to do whatever he wanted if I died young, but that if I die at 60 and above, I want to be cremated.

Erin

I think I could be good with a Big Lebowski-style, ashes-in-a-coffee-can, scattered into the Pacific type of a send-off. It's weird. I can be really nostalgic about certain things, but where my body goes once I no longer have a functioning brain to care about where my brain is physically located at that point ... that doesn't concern me today, and I'm fairly certain I'll be even less attached to what becomes of my body once I'm dead.

Maybe I'm too practical for my own good. Or maybe I'm just cheap. Cremations do cost less.

It's funny that we're having this conversation now, because I posted jokingly on FB around noon PST today that I am uncomfortable when people just casually mention their dying wishes to me in conversation. I get this fleeting moment of panic (born of laziness) that thinks, "What if I'm going to have to do something with this information one of these days?"

Speaking of FB, chrissy, I confess I feel like I've sounded incredibly judgy with the posts I've made today that all seem to indirectly criticize something you've done. That was definitely not my intention! I hope I didn't come off as Ms. Tsk Tsk today. The article I posted written by my friend ... I was sort of reluctant to share it. My friend had posted it herself, and then when I complimented her on it, her comment back was something like "Thank you, and thanks in advance for sharing it." So even though it wasn't something I'd typically share, I went ahead and shared it because I did think it was a well written piece about the girl, and I wanted to help my friend get the exposure I guess she's after. Her little nudge to share it didn't strike me as pushy or passive aggressive at the time, but then I thought about it after the fact and decided that wouldn't be how I'd ask anyone to help me self-promote. So anyway, I hope that didn't come off as roundly disapproving (no pun intended).
    Last edited by demigraf; 06-30-2011 at 12:37 AM.

As a total aside, this has become Bodhi's favorite song that I sing to him at bedtime (the version I know is by this local LA musician named Janet Klein, although I think it was originally a Fats Waller tune).

I think he just likes it because it contains the word "babykins". Every time I sing it - and he asks me to sing it at least 3 times in a row - his face lights up when I get to that word. It's really cute.

Today is the 9th anniversary of my cousin's sudden, unexpected death at age 24. Her sister wrote a blog about it and I just read it. I feel like I just relived that entire appalling week before her funeral. Beautifully written.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I know I'm totally irrational about worrying where my body will be once I'm dead, but there it is. I don't stress about it. I figure time will get rid of that quirk.

I think if you want to be cremated, then your family should support you in that. That's what Rich wants and if he were to go before me I'd definitely do it. I don't worry about our bodies being together after death or anything like that.

Speaking of FB, chrissy, I confess I feel like I've sounded incredibly judgy with the posts I've made today that all seem to indirectly criticize something you've done. That was definitely not my intention! I hope I didn't come off as Ms. Tsk Tsk today.
    You didn't. I laid awake last night thinking I probably sounded argumentative and witchy. The breast implants thing...I didn't find much accurate with that at all, but I've been through the whole process and have talked to many people about their experiences. I never heard of anyone having trouble finding a dr that would remove them...I mean, for one thing that's more surgery $ for them, so what do they care? For another, I know my own PS is supportive of women in general and whatever they want he'll do. I mean, he discusses the pros/cons/risks and makes sure you really want what you're requesting of him, but he'd take mine out if I asked. I think most PS would.

As for the other...I get what you're saying. I really do. And it does bother me when I see people like that. I just really try my hardest to hope for the best for them and I do tell myself, "You made it. They can too." I know reality doesn't often work out that way though and it is sad. And aggravating.

As a total aside, this has become Bodhi's favorite song that I sing to him at bedtime (the version I know is by this local LA musician named Janet Klein, although I think it was originally a Fats Waller tune).

I think he just likes it because it contains the word "babykins". Every time I sing it - and he asks me to sing it at least 3 times in a row - his face lights up when I get to that word. It's really cute.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Today is the 9th anniversary of my cousin's sudden, unexpected death at age 24. Her sister wrote a blog about it and I just read it. I feel like I just relived that entire appalling week before her funeral. Beautifully written.
    That's so terribly young.

I'm feeling particularly crabby right now because I need scratch off passes to hang in my mirror so I can park at work, and Cornell is telling me I need to buy one for $50 but they're not telling me when I'm eligible to start getting the free ones again. We get so many a year, but I'm not sure if it's calendar year or fiscal year.

I have always wanted to be cremated. I want my organs donated, no viewing, and than to be cremated. I don't care what happens to my ashes at that point, I just really don't like the idea of being put in a cement box in the ground, it creeps me out! I think if you want somethign particular than your family should respect your wishes.

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

I'm definitely having my organs donated...if there's anything worth using. I plan to live to be 100.

We HAD to by law cremate my uncle last fall. At least I'm pretty sure it was required by law. He had AIDS...for over 20 years though it was his heart that gave out. What we were able to do was place his ashes with his mom (who was murdered when she was only 34 yrs old....believe uncle was only like 18 at the time). He has a headstone or something I think....we are going to go visit Saturday which would have been his 60th birthday.

Everyone I know wants to be cremated. MIL and my mom specifically told me to NOT stick them in a box and have a viewing because they don't want to be stared at, especially when the place will probably mess up their hair and makeup. I promised both them we wouldn't do it....DH is an only child so for sure his mom will be up to us and I only have my sister who will do whatever I tell her.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36