Page 698 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 1985986486886966976986997007087487981198 ... LastLast
Results 20,911 to 20,940 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Lydia, that's awful! But I agree I'm impressed by Claire's logic.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by LupeLauraly View Post
    I don't mean to hijack, but....

Tex-Mex on Great Britain?!! Where?! I lived outside of Leeds for a few years and there was one Tex-Mex restaurant in Harrogate that we'd go to that was okay-ish, but it burned down. (Bummer. The roof collapsed on my favorite Italian place not too long after that.) DH and I went to a Tex-Mex restaurant next to the Ikea in Manchester. It smelled delicious, but they put sugar in their salsa. So disappointing. We also went to The Texas Embassy in London a few times. That's the closest I came to good Tex-Mex while in England. My ultimate goal is to eventually move back (can't happen soon enough), and as a Texas girl, I need me some good Tex-Mex. (I'll take a train ride. I don't care.)
    Well, it's not really an awesome place in American standards but it's a chain restaurant called Chiquitos. I had chimichangas and Rich had fajitas (or fa gee tas as some people say here). In all honesty, if you're used to proper tex mex, this place probably won't impress you! But hey, I live just outside of Leeds, so if you do come over, shout me a holler!

Kate, i'm the same with my body shape. I'm on the skinny side but even before kids my tummy always carried a lot of weight. What I do now is just not try to cover it up with flowy clothes and wear snugger ones instead.

Lydia, thanks much for the pm. I'm sorry you seemed pressured to get bsck to me. Not my intention.Also wanted to add that we cut out tv watching for similar reasons. It trumped everyyhing.

Off to read the mayo clinic article.
    Last edited by Bridget; 06-20-2011 at 04:36 AM.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Bridget, it was my own pressure, and I didn't know when your appointment was, and it was mostly because I had this leisurely (mostly) half-hour to write out a long reply in the morning and then absolutely nothing the whole rest of the day. Not even after the children were asleep!

Well I'm glad I've been an inspiration, either way ;)
    LOL at Claire's logic-almost spit out my drink there! Sorry it was a crappy day though.
    Last night after DH went to bed I stayed up past 1 a.m. and he finally came downstairs and asked if I was coming to bed. This morning we had a talk about how I feel like he doesn't give off the vibe that he cares about me (like when he just walked off to bed without me) and he said he'd try to be better about that. We've had that talk before though so who knows.

Ok I missed alot! This is what happens when you put your laptop in the washing machine and don't have access to a computer outside of work

Trying to catch up!!

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Do you guys ever run into those parents where it seems like everything they say to their child is for the benefit of everyone around them? Like, they talk really loud and look around to see who is listening and usually who is listening least of all is the child?
    I ask because my brother and I were in line for food at the benefit today and a woman was in line with her 2ish year old daughter and was just saying things like, "What are you gonna eat?? NOT just cake. NO. Healthy food. All the food groups! Same as we eat at home!" The child wasn't even speaking. It was like the mom was having a conversation with herself.
    My brother just gave me this wide eyed OMG look and the second we were away from her we basically said it in unison that that is so annoying! He said parents at the school he works at do it all the time. Like they are saying things under the ruse of talking to their child but looking at him the whole time to see his reaction.
    It seemed like everywhere I went this woman was, such a loud talker and trying to be a shining example for us all.
    I see these parents A LOT. It really bothers me and when I am in an awful mood, I will say to one of my kids "I really like how we can eat our healthy food without having to tell everyone about it because we don't need everyone to know what we do. We already feel good about ourselves." I usually say things like this to Elle and she'll say "uh-huh, we feel good about ourselves."' She is into repeating things now. I only do that when I am in an awful mood though. I feel bad because Ky now will pick up on when people do this and he'll talk about them very loudly when I'm not in an awful mood and if I embarrassed easily, I would be embarrassed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Kate, all the pictures of you I've seen look good. Just worry about looking good for you, not for random strangers. Especially not for guys with no social skills like the one who got you upset.
    I agree with this Kate. If you like your dress you should wear it. You should see my midsection, it is ridiculous the rolls, even after losing 60lbs it is just ridiculous. It used to really bother me, but now not so much, unless I am in an awful mood like above and then I get kind of critical of myself. I actually am considering getting a tummy tuck before I'm 40 due to how bad my stomach looks even though I know I'll probably chicken out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    Okay, done!

We had a terrible Father's Day. Dh left tonight for Japan, and he realized he didn't have any clothes for his trip (???) so he had to go shopping. He asked the kids if they would go with him, and then go for a walk afterward. Claire said no, she would rather watch tv. We told her that wasn't a choice. She could either stay at home and do nothing and be really quiet because the baby was sleeping, or go with Daddy. "No!" she said. So he took Ro shopping, got frozen yogurt, called again after they finished, offered to pick her up on the way to the walk, and she said only if they went to a playground and not a walk. So she spent all Father's Day without her dad, refusing to spend time with him.

I talked to her about how family was more important than tv shows, and how if she was out in the world all alone, with no mommy, no dadddy, no brothers, would she still be happy if she had just a tv show and no family? She said "No, because then I wouldn't have anyone to turn it on for me."

(I have to pause to admire the kid logic there, for a minute.)

So, even though it's going to be tough to take a shower or prepare dinner, I'm going to do it. No tv. Period. She's always liked it a lot, but I never thought she'd turn down a chance to go somewhere with her dad because of it.
    Claire is so smart and funny !

I would also cut down on the TV due to this. We don't watch much TV but we do sometimes. Elle is more into it than Ky. She actually didn't want to go somewhere with me one day when Dinosaur Train on PBS was on one evening. Dinosaur Train is her favorite show, that and Word Girl and she will actually mini-tantrum if you turn the channel or even pick up the remote while either one of them are on. She usually always wants to go everywhere I go so I was shocked that she said she didn't want to go with me because "I have to watch my show! My show is on!" and she proceeded to lay on the floor and watch it.

We had a pretty boring Father's Day. I bought DH a card, which of course he thought was mushy. He doesn't like mushy things, they make him feel "weird." Ky bought him a card that made him feel weird for a different reason. It was in the shape of a big glass beer mug and said "Free Beer" on the outside and "Now that I have your attention, I just wanted to wish you a Happy Father's Day" on the inside. I let Ky pick out the card himself and even though I thought it was funny considering my DH loves him some beer and spends a lot of time drinking beer on weekends, I thought it may be a bit inappropriate, but decided to buy it anyway since I figured DH could see that the kids notice his beer drinking. Elle didn't get DH anything since I didn't want her to write her "E" which she has mastered on a beer card and mine said "to my husband" so she just helped to bring him breakfast in bed, which he loved. DH also loves breakfast foods and he has been griping that I haven't been doing my wifely duties and making him breakfast on the weekends like I used to do. So I made him some eggs, bacon, sausage, hashbrowns (like Waffle House - scattered, smothered, and covered), and pancakes with home made blueberry syrup. He asked what he had to do to get me to make breakfast more often and I didn't want to start an argument on Father's Day by saying "any chore or child care need that doesn't involve me having to tell you to do it." So I said nothing. We had a great Father's Day.

Erin

I just got back from Sydney's moving up ceremony. I had a pang of sadness when the principal talked about the kids going from K-12 together...it made me regret moving here even more. That would have been the case at their old school. Even though we're going back, Bobbie missed out on 10-12 with her school. I know it shouldn't bother me, and the girls have had both positive experiences and met wonderful friends that they wouldn't have otherwise, but still.... It was a brief, sad moment. During the slide show, they had pictures of the 6th graders from Kindergarten and of course Sydney wasn't in them. I wondered if she was in the ones they showed at her old school when that class moved up to middle school (5th grade).

Rich went to Bobbie's hearing. They're going to allow her to participate, but she has to plant flowers this week at the high school. So now we have to find her a gown somehow because Bobbie never gave me the order form. I don't even know what color the gowns are supposed to be. I'm very aggravated with her at the moment.

I did call her court and they said she can plead guilty by mail-so we don't have to travel 4 hours for that. I'm not sure why, but Rich brought her back home before going to the house to do some work on it. He said she was supposed to vacuum here, but when I got here she's in bed sleeping. Yes, I'm aggravated with her.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    Ok I missed alot! This is what happens when you put your laptop in the washing machine and don't have access to a computer outside of work

Trying to catch up!!
    Okay, how do you put your laptop in the washing machine? LOL

I'm sorry Chrissy, it all sounds very frustrating.

I'm glad you had a good day Erin ;) The card sounds cute, not too inappropriate. Josh knows we keep wine and Jack Daniel's in the house and he points it out whenever he sees an ad for it or if he sees it at someone else's house-"That's what mommy/daddy drinks" LOL

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Okay, how do you put your laptop in the washing machine? LOL

I'm sorry Chrissy, it all sounds very frustrating.
    I don't know how it ended up in the laundry basket (I probably put it there half asleep at some point) but when I put my clothes in the washer I just dump the laundry basket (our baskets are sorted already) since I have no agitator I just dump and go.... Well yeah, until I heard the clunking of my computer! I thought the washer was giving out, I wish it had I have an extra one of those

I already ordered a new one. Had too, can't exactly do my online courses with access to onlien right It will be here on July 1st (so they say) I hope so! I am going through withdrawl or something

Oh no! I hope it gets there soon. I have a desktop and a laptop--I'd go nuts if I didn't have a backup lol

Oh no! I hope it gets there soon. I have a desktop and a laptop--I'd go nuts if I didn't have a backup lol
    The monitor on my desk top gave out a few days ago (that thing is like 10 years old) I suppose it was bound to happen, but really did it have to happen now

Oh well, such is my luck

LOL, great timing!

I'm glad you had a good day Erin ;) The card sounds cute, not too inappropriate. Josh knows we keep wine and Jack Daniel's in the house and he points it out whenever he sees an ad for it or if he sees it at someone else's house-"That's what mommy/daddy drinks" LOL
    LOL! Elle has a fascination with Budweiser bottle caps. She collects them at the playground because that's what daddy drinks. Mommy drinks water . I am boring.

Chrissy, I was going to ask about the mail in plea since she will mroe than likely plead guilty. She will probably have to pay a fine. I was also going to suggest asking if they can postpone her appearance if it was mandatory, but only certain charges have mandatory appearances and I figured that shop lifting wouldn't be unless it was for something worth a lot of money, like jewelry. Unfortunately I have a lot of experience with courts due to crazy cops here in Atlanta. I am glad she will be able to plead by mail and it must be so frustrating that she is not tending to her business. Even if she didn't think she was going to walk, she could have ordered a gown. You could have just refused to pay for it if she didn't get in the ceremony.

Kyro, at 9 is already starting to frustrate me with his lack of concern and sudden forgetfulness, I am afraid it will get worse during his teenage years. I remember my brothers being very forgetful, even myself, even though for me I only "forgot" when I didn't feel like doing something. I have a feeling that is what Ky is doing so I am going to start forgetting doing things for him as well if he keeps it up.

Erin

Erin, I'm glad you know what I mean about those parents. I actually talk in hushed tones to my kids when we are in public because I'm just a private person in general and don't need the world knowing my business. Dbf does it sometimes though. It's embarassing. I remember one time in Hawaii when Kai was an infant we went to a pro soccer game and behind us was a group of girls who worked at the local strip club and OMG dbf was hamming it up with the kids so bad. He kept saying he had his hands full with the two kids and was because he did not help me AT ALL then. I wasn't even mad that he was flirting. I was annoyed that he was putting on such an act and clearly didn't give me enough credit that I would see through it. I didn't say anything about it until I told the story to our friends at dinner the next night and properly humiliated him for it. We all had a good laugh.

I once washed a diaper by just dumping the clothes in the washer and once washed my cell phone because it was in my jeans pocket.

Chrissy, I'm sorry Bobbie is giving you so much trouble right now.

Double post
    Last edited by AmeriBrit; 06-20-2011 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    I once washed a diaper by just dumping the clothes in the washer and once washed my cell phone because it was in my jeans pocket.

Chrissy, I'm sorry Bobbie is giving you so much trouble right now.
    You live and learn right

I go if DH puts a kleenex in the wash. He says I should check his pockets, I say he should before he puts them in the dirty laundry. OMG do I b*tch hardcore when this happens.

Kate, personally I wouldn't care if someone thought you might look a little pg or not. Wear what you like! I'm fat and have a big butt, nothing is going to hide that. And really it's much more flattering if my clothes are more fitted (not skin tight!) than if I am wearing something baggy. Maybe something in a princess cut would work for you. I know for me that is what I tend to look for since I have narrow shoulders but am big in the hips/rear. I need tops that are more fitted on top but have a flare at the bottom. Like this one would make anyone look a bit pg http://fashionbug.lanebryant.com/dre...&Mcat=5043%401

But this one might be better http://fashionbug.lanebryant.com/dre...&Mcat=5043%401 or something like this http://fashionbug.lanebryant.com/dre...01#productTabs

Chrissy, is there a way you could take away texting? I'm kind of concerned about the lack of phone calling. I mean I would rather email than call a lot of times....but I don't see how one could ever have a job without calling at least sometimes or needing to answer the phone. I know that there are jobs that don't use phones at all but really any kind of professional job will need that skill.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

That first dress is the style of the dress I wore for the cruise photo op that ended up looking horrible LOL
    I can't imagine that teired pink dress looking good on me, I thought you'd have to be a skinny ***** to not look plump in that but I have never tried on that type because I think it's hideous.
    The last one is cute but I'm leery about prints now because it seems they make things worse. I love prints but the last two dresses I looked pregnant in were prints and everyone seems to wear solids these days.

Ok, hmm, maybe something like a shift would work http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/wome...hift+Dress.jsp

But now after looking through a couple of stores....honestly most of the skinny models look PG in the current style. Seems like almost everything was more of a babydoll/empire waist cut.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    But now after looking through a couple of stores....honestly most of the skinny models look PG in the current style. Seems like almost everything was more of a babydoll/empire waist cut.
    It's been going on for a while now. I remember when I went to go shopping right after I had Conner and I was appalled that all the tops looked like maternity tops to me. I mean, I'd just spent 9 months wearing maternity tops!!! I don't care what your body shape is, if it 'poofs' from just under the boobs, it's gonna make you look like you're possibly pregnant. The only question is, are you ok with that or not? I'm trying to convince myself I'll be ok wearin a maxi dress...but I haven't been able to convince myself well enough to actually buy one.
    Last edited by missychrissy; 06-20-2011 at 01:17 PM.

See I love the babydoll style tops. They tend to hide my rolls

I just don't wear dresses. I try every once in a while but they tend to look stupid on me with the hips/rear. Skirts don't fit right either for that reason. And I'm not wear spanx....tried some on once and it was awful trying to get into it.

This is the kind of top I would tend to go for and try on and would tend to work on me http://fashionbug.lanebryant.com/top...Mcat=15221%401

I HATE the tops that have banding at the bottom....on my pear shape that is NOT where I need emphasis.
    Last edited by Cosmosmom; 06-20-2011 at 01:38 PM.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I just don't wear dresses. I try every once in a while but they tend to look stupid on me with the hips/rear. Skirts don't fit right either for that reason. And I'm not wear spanx....tried some on once and it was awful trying to get into it.

This is the kind of top I would tend to go for and try on and would tend to work on me http://fashionbug.lanebryant.com/top...Mcat=15221%401

I HATE the tops that have banding at the bottom....on my pear shape that is NOT where I need emphasis.
    ITA, they make me look all frumpy!! I don't wear dresses at all, they make my butt look huge

I really, really like that top! Same kind that I tend to wear

Guysssssssss
    OMG I hate to interrupt the dress talk but but
    Joe McIntyre is freaking following me on twitter. I'm dying....

Ok so yeah the dresses..I think I'm going to lay off the dresses for a while and go for nicer fitted tops and pants, I guess.

I'm going to take a wild stab and guess he's one of the nkotb? I hope he's the one you really like!!