Page 678 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 1785786286686766776786796806887287781178 ... LastLast
Results 20,311 to 20,340 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I think I better hug him for that.
    That is one of the great things about APA. You get really personal glimpses, sometimes, into other people's lives, and you can hopefully value and develop more insight into yours. Not you Chrissy specifically, but you in general. I know I have learned a lot from things other people have posted, both little and big.

I guess they could be. It's just that I've never had stress take that form. I feel like it's a combo of being out of shape, weak core, posture needs improvement, uncomfortable sleep position.
    I don't know.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Bridget, have you been on any medications? Ibuprofen? Given up caffeine? Changed hormones/started birth control? If no, I would see a doctor.

ETA And I know you don't like doctors too much, so I say this while assuming you're looking for other causes first.
    Last edited by 3andMe; 06-04-2011 at 10:40 PM.

No, Lydia. Nothing. No hormonal bc, still drinking coffee.

Then I would suggest a doctor. Sorry.

ETA: I did drop the twins off at my mom's for two hours today and cooked like a fiend, lest you feel like I was a total Wonderwoman. I made a salad, baked ziti, and a potato and sausage casserole in that time. And Soren was napping.
    Last edited by 3andMe; 06-04-2011 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    Then I would suggest a doctor. Sorry.

ETA: I did drop the twins off at my mom's for two hours today and cooked like a fiend, lest you feel like I was a total Wonderwoman. I made a salad, baked ziti, and a potato and sausage casserole in that time. And Soren was napping.
    You say all this as if Wonderwoman would be able to do that much in two hours. You kind of rock, Lydia!

I'm sorry about your headaches, Bridget - could they be allergy related? I get terrible migraines from allergies, so bad that sometimes they make me nauseous. I hope they go away.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I may just call monday if I get one more this weekend. Thanks, Lydia.

So, question for you guys. DH and I were in the grocery store and I saw a boy about 10-11 years old eating an apple while his parents were in line to pay for their groceries. I really hate that - produce is sold by the pound and the cashier weighs it to determine the price. Eating it before you buy it means they can't weigh the food and determine an accurate price. It really bugs me. And it wasn't like he was a toddler who was going to have a screaming fit and the mom was trying to keep him quiet, he was much older and old enough to understand the difference between what they had already purchased and what they were waiting to buy.

Does that bother you guys, or is it just me? DH said he thought it was disrespectful of the store, but I think it's worse than that. Eating a candy bar before buying it is disrespectful, but like I said, this is sold by weight and by eating it they can't determine how much you bought. It's a minor thing, but I still think it's a form of stealing from the store.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Yeah, it's totally stealing. Not to be the person that offers the unlikely scenario but I will say that I have quickly paid for produce of that nature if my kids are determined to eat it while we shop and I am always wondering if people watching them eat the grapes, or whatever, are thinking that we're stealing it.
    I've also been given fruit to sample by the people working in produce both at the co-op I shop now and the one I shopped in Hawaii.

But if he was just eating it then yeah, not cool.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Yeah, it's totally stealing. Not to be the person that offers the unlikely scenario but I will say that I have quickly paid for produce of that nature if my kids are determined to eat it while we shop and I am always wondering if people watching them eat the grapes, or whatever, are thinking that we're stealing it.
    I've also been given fruit to sample by the people working in produce both at the co-op I shop now and the one I shopped in Hawaii.

But if he was just eating it then yeah, not cool.
    That's a good point about buying it first for the kids, I hadn't thought of that. But I will say that since your kids are younger that would make sense, but with an older child, unless there was a good reason such as he hadn't had a chance to eat anything or had been out in the heat and needed something, I would expect him to be able to wait until they were finished shopping. They didn't have a ton of groceries so they likely hadn't been shopping for too long.

I say all that, of course, but with some of my kids I work with I would totally make accommodations like that if I had to so I guess you just never know. Still, I don't think that was the case here.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Yeah I don't like when people give food from the store to their kids either. Especially an older kid like that. When Josh was a baby and he was throwing a fit, if we had a bag of grapes that we were going to buy anyway we'd give him 2 or 3 off of it and DH hated even doing that. But an older kid..that just doesn't make sense. I even feel bad asking for a free piece of cheese at the deli counter, even though they willingly offer it even if I don't ask.

Bridget, I'm sorry about the headaches I hope they go away soon.
    I confess I went to a nkotbsb concert last night it was awesome. I wasn't close to the main stage, but I was close to the end of the walkway where they came out a lot, and Jon (one of the nkotb) walked by at one point, and I was on the aisle and he grabbed my hand
    I wish I were a Jon girl..I have awesome luck with him LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    That is one of the great things about APA. You get really personal glimpses, sometimes, into other people's lives, and you can hopefully value and develop more insight into yours. Not you Chrissy specifically, but you in general. I know I have learned a lot from things other people have posted, both little and big.
    You're absolutely right and I did apply it to me-in a good way. I like to think that Rich & I are still together after 19 years because these 'little things' that come up help us alter things in a good way for each other. While we still have problems, things have generally gotten better each year.

I told him last night that his ability to listen to me blather on about anything, at any moment, is probably one of my favorite qualities about him. He thinks I'm strange, but I know it made him feel good.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    So, question for you guys. DH and I were in the grocery store and I saw a boy about 10-11 years old eating an apple while his parents were in line to pay for their groceries. I really hate that - produce is sold by the pound and the cashier weighs it to determine the price. Eating it before you buy it means they can't weigh the food and determine an accurate price. It really bugs me. And it wasn't like he was a toddler who was going to have a screaming fit and the mom was trying to keep him quiet, he was much older and old enough to understand the difference between what they had already purchased and what they were waiting to buy.

Does that bother you guys, or is it just me? DH said he thought it was disrespectful of the store, but I think it's worse than that. Eating a candy bar before buying it is disrespectful, but like I said, this is sold by weight and by eating it they can't determine how much you bought. It's a minor thing, but I still think it's a form of stealing from the store.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    That's a good point about buying it first for the kids, I hadn't thought of that. But I will say that since your kids are younger that would make sense, but with an older child, unless there was a good reason such as he hadn't had a chance to eat anything or had been out in the heat and needed something, I would expect him to be able to wait until they were finished shopping. They didn't have a ton of groceries so they likely hadn't been shopping for too long.

I say all that, of course, but with some of my kids I work with I would totally make accommodations like that if I had to so I guess you just never know. Still, I don't think that was the case here.
    I hate it too, and I've seen adults do similar. Just to play devil's advocate, but there are some illnesses that you can't see that might have required an early purchase of an apple. I'm not sure what it was that the guy in my position at work had, but he had to eat very small meals, every 2 hours. It was some digestive disorder/illness. I guess it wasn't serious, but could make him very sick if he didn't eat promptly. And he was a total health nut. So I would think that when he was 10, it might have been necessary for his parents to get him an apple an what could appear an inappropriate time.

But even knowing about him and that other people likely suffer from various ailments...I'd still think it was odd if I saw it myself in the store. I guess if I were the mom and that is what was going on, I'd buy the apples and let him eat it outside before continuing with my shopping. I wouldn't want the store worrying that we were stealing either.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post

Bridget, I'm sorry about the headaches I hope they go away soon.
    I confess I went to a nkotbsb concert last night it was awesome. I wasn't close to the main stage, but I was close to the end of the walkway where they came out a lot, and Jon (one of the nkotb) walked by at one point, and I was on the aisle and he grabbed my hand
    I wish I were a Jon girl..I have awesome luck with him LOL

Bridget, I agree with the others that if those headaches continue you should just go to the dr to have it checked.

I'm supposed to be helping Rich clean the house right now. He's vacuuming while I'm perusing APA. I just don't feel like it, but I better get my butt in gear. He wouldn't ever say anything if I sat here all day, but my own guilt would kill me.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I woke up without a headache! Yay! I am almost positive it's wonky sleep position and the fact that I'm getting old and i'm not in shape like I was, well, in all the years preceding this one minus about 5 years in my early twenties.
    I built a silk fort in the yard for Savana and Kai and turned the sprinkler on. I came in to nurse Sawyer and am watching them out the window. They are sharing a homemade popsicle in the fort and it's really cute. I love that they can be in the yard all day. It sure makes a difference in their behavior.
    Dbf is finally building his boathouse. He's been trying for 2 years but something always got in the way. He hired an out of work concrete guy for a good price and then a couple of his so called friends that he helps out all the time were supposed to come and help but of course they did not show up.
    Oh! He went to the dr to get checked out after the accident and it turns out he has arthritis in his left shoulder/arm. This could be the cause of all his headaches and constant aches and pains. We are looking into ways to remedy it without taking pills. He's been taking so much pain killers for all these pains for years now and it worries me. I am quite sure building a concrete wall will not do well for it at all.

Yay for no headache!
    What is a silk fort?
    Does anyone have any encouraging ways to help Josh enjoy things like running through the sprinkler, or playing in the pool, or do you think it's something he's either going to enjoy or not enjoy?
    He's afraid of getting his face splashed.

A silk fort is just a fort made of silks! They are all different colors so when you hang them outside in the breeze/sun it is totally mesmerizing. I'm not even exaggerating that Sawyer sat in his bouncy chair for about 40 minutes just sucking on his fingers and staring up at the silks as they gently blew in the breeze. I swear it mellows out Savana and Kai as well. I put classical music on and they think it's so cool because it really looks like the silks are moving to the music.
    Kate, I would maybe just fill tubs or pans with water and put them outside for him to enjoy with sea sponges (you can buy them in the cosmetic dept at walmart) and funnels, pouring containers, etc. That way he gets to experience the element of water without the fear of getting splashed in the face. Maybe even fill the pool with an inch or two and tell him he doesn't have to get in, he can just use the water for whatever. Making mud is a favorite around here! I bet he'll grow out of that on his own.

Cool ideas, thanks

Everyone's so quiet today It's that time of month again, and it really wrecks me on the first day, so I've just been chilling out. I'm so glad I didn't feel like this last night.

That's a bummer Kate. I'm sorry. I hope it doesn't last long.

We had a busy day. Well, I didn't till I got up at noon, but from then on it's been busy. I did get around to helping Rich clean and between me, him, and Jessica we got the house looking great. Everything was done (I love that!). Jay (my sister in law) came over with her 3 kids. Me & Jay first went in her car to get hot dogs and buns, then went in my car (topless) to get us Skinny Girl Margaritas and some flavored vodka shots. She took hers home with her 'cause she was driving. I had someone come over and look at my camper (hope they make an offer) and Rich put together my freecycle bike with Conner's tandem piece (pics on facebook) so he had me going up and down the road on that all day.

On our last ride he said, "Mommy, I love biking with you" and it just melted my heart. It was one of those moments that I just live for. Sydney came along on her bike on each ride. It was a lot of fun. But man, am I out of shape or what? I was panting and wanting to shift but couldn't 'cause the shifting cables need to be replaced. It's probably a great workout for me, but I can totally tell when Conner is coasting and when he's peddling. On the last trip I was encouraging him to 'help mommy out' on the uphills

I am in LOVE with that bike, Chrissy!!! So cool. And how sweet of that boy of yours.

I also love that you and your sis go topless to the store.

Thanks. I saw a guy and his son at Cornell on one of those bikes and thought it was the coolest thing. Then a couple weeks after that someone was offering one on freecycle so I jumped at the chance to get it, even though I didn't have a bike of my own that would work with it. Friday someone was offering a 21-speed on Freecycle that needed work with the gearshifts and I jumped on that as well. It's in a gear that's ok for riding on the flats so I'll use it as it is this summer. Hopefully in the fall I'll be able to take it in and have shifting cables installed at the bike shop. It's a really nice bike-and light too. I lifted it by myself into the back seat of my car (top down, of course). I'm normally a wimp and can't life Rich's bike that high alone. I biking, but I'm not really good at it. I'm slow and have to stop a lot on hills. I'm hoping if I can fix this one I'll be able to peddle further up hill.

I'm sorry, I drank 2 skinny girl margaritas so I'm just blah blah blah about everything right now.

I saw Jenny mention those margaritas on facebook too. Are they good? Do they use some kind of artificial sweetner?

The bottle says it's sweetened with agave nectar. I like them because they're not sweet-not like the margarita mixes you buy in a bucket (uber nasty!). I like my margarita a bit sour, so these are good. Just 37.5 calories for 1.5 ounces too, which is pretty low for a margarita.

Pretty good...I don't like my drinks syrupy sweet either. Are they pretty good on strength or are they kind of weak?

I can't really honestly answer that well as I did start out with a blueberry vodka double shot. I think they're strong though. 12.7% alcohol by volume or 25.4 proof. So, it's not like straight vodka, but it's yummy. I'm on my 3rd and I'm feeling really good. Have about 1/2 a bottle left.

...see, I was just getting info off the bottle and submitted my answer and grabbed the bottle to take a swig, instead of my glass. That should tell you how good I'm feeling.

LOL...cool Enjoy!

Chrissy be careful....you can get into trouble drunk APAing.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Bridget, my first guess would be the sleep for the headaches. That is a surefire way I get them....too many nights of not enough or not good enough sleep.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I know, you're right Jennifer. I'll stay away from heated threads.