Page 671 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 1715716216616696706716726736817217711171 ... LastLast
Results 20,101 to 20,130 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

  1. #20101
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,942

    Default

    Yes. October in the desert is like spring in other places ... the long difficult season is over and the weather is gorgeous. I never would have believed when I lived back east how much I would look forward to fall! I agree, when the temps come down you want to go outside again and it's like being set free!
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  2. #20102
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,942

    Default

    Katy, do the schools where you live run August to May like they do here, or do you have the September-June thing that most places seem to use? I was told we did August to May because June is so hot here, but honestly June is a lot more pleasant than August. June can be hotter, but there's no humidity like there is in the rainy season later in summer. I don't complain, though, because I would rather have my free time when the weather is better.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  3. #20103

    Default

    I think it is August to May - the last day of school is June 1, so they bleed over a bit into summer. I never really thought about school starting at different times in different places.

    "Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov


  4. #20104
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,942

    Default

    I moved across country just before starting high school. In NY we got out of school the last week of June and went back to school in September. I moved out here and had to go back to school in August. It really bothered me losing 3 weeks out of my summer vacation, so that made a big impression on me!
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  5. #20105

    Default

    No joke! You got gypped!

    I guess it has to do with the weather and harvest times? Interesting.

    "Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov


  6. #20106
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,942

    Default

    Yeah, I don't know how they decide all that or who gets to decide. But I think it does have something to do with harvest. Here it was mostly cattle country traditionally so not a big harvest season. Same in Texas, I imagine.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  7. #20107
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    I don't know how they decide their school years. We're about 5 miles from the PA border and I know PA (at least Bradford County) schools run Aug-May, but where we live in NY it's Sept-June. Late June at that. I think my kids are in school till the 21st or 23rd.

    Quote Originally Posted by katycat24 View Post
    We are going to Minneapolis in August for my cousin's wedding - it will be so nice to get out of the heat (it is already 95 degrees already).

    We are doing a little weekend visit to a resort around here with JoJo and meeting all of her cousins there - they have one of those lazy rivers and a huge slide, horseback riding and crafts, etc.

    And in the works but not quite set is a visit to Chile in August - we will fly in to Santiago and stay a couple of days, then go visit some wineries (my husband's in the wine biz) and then go skiing!!! In July!!! I am really excited and hope that it gets settled soon so I can start doing some research!
    wow-those jaunts sound wonderful! I hope you have a fantastic time!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    The weather in February can be a bit unpredictable. We generally get rain around that time and while it starts warming up, it isn't full on warm yet - usually 60's or so, might be warmer or cooler. March or April (depending on when Easter is next year) should be nicer. 80's or possibly warmer and there shouldn't be any rain. March and April are usually gorgeous here. April and October make the rest of the year all worth it.
    60's in February is coat-off weather for us. We'll be leaving 10's and 20's!! And seriously, as soon as it reaches 50 in the spring we take our winter coats off because it's considered 'warm out'.

    Heck, 45 is top-off for me. If I don't have the kids with me. They don't like it.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  8. #20108
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    I am leaning toward Tombstone/Bisbee (sp?) area. We'll have to go another time to see the Grand Canyon.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  9. #20109

    Default

    Ack! I forgot I was reading apa on my ipod last night and I misclicked and hit unsubscribe. So here I thought you guys haven't been posting and I missed a whole bunch.
    School is Sept.-June here. I wish we had a longer, warmer spring. It seems like we go from 50's and rainy to 70's and humid. I could use more temps in the mid 60's.
    I got home from the cruise and it was in the 40's Quite a shock!
    Last edited by daylilies; 05-27-2011 at 08:41 AM.

  10. #20110
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by katycat24 View Post
    Well, by August here it is usually at least 110 degrees, so 90 feels okay
    I actually lived in the midwest for 7 years - went to school in Madison and lived in Mpls and Chicago. Love it up there!
    Ok yeah we don't usually get over 100. Maybe close and maybe just over like 1-2 times a year. Really even mid 90's isn't that common (was more common when we were between Milwaukee and Chicago). A few years ago we went to Vegas in July... OMG, we are not used to 115. If it gets much above the low 70's I'm ready to put the central air on!
    DH and I have always lived in WI....we love it here. Considered moving to TX after graduation because he could have made really quite a bit of money working in the oil industry....but we just couldn't stand the idea of leaving the area. It's bad enough being a 4-6 hour drive from our families!
    Course all winter I was tired of snow and cold....but now dealing with ticks, kind of makes me look forward to winter again!

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  11. #20111
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    I just had some fruitloop ask me where my morals come from if I don't believe in God. How do you explain it?

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  12. #20112

    Default

    Ummm...for me they come from wanting to be a good person and help others. It feels good.

  13. #20113

    Default

    Ooh that actually really makes me angry.
    Are they saying that if it weren't for God, there would be no reason to be a good person? Wow.

  14. #20114
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,694

    Default

    Our schools used to go from last week of Aug to 2nd week of June. Now we start right after labor day and go to about the second week of June.
    I LOVE the fall and usually Sept is a great month. Oct can have great days....or it can snow. LOL I like not having to have the air on or the heat just yet and like the days getting shorter and needing the heavier blankets again. There is something about the leaves changing and the chrunch they make when you walk on them.....and the smell of them burning.
    Heck even Jan. can be just gorgeous...well until you go outside. LOL But inside on a Jan day looking out, the world can just sparkle from the snow and we get some of the most brillant blue skies on those days. Everything just seems so crisp. And than you go outside and it's -15 before the wind chill and you can hardly breathe
    May is usually pretty nice but this May has been a bit chilly. Normally should be in the 70's but we have been 60's and even upper 50's. Still wearing my fleece jacket to work in the morning...

    I don't think that I would hack it living in the south. I HATE driving in the snow but now that it's gone, the idea of it again in 5-6 months sounds nice. I think that my body adjusts better to cold than it does to heat!

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  15. #20115
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,694

    Default

    I actually got that a lot attending a religious college and major in philosophy...we talked a LOT about god and religion. Numerous times it came up that if you aren't a believer in god, than you must not have morals. Never made any kind of logical sense to me. I don't consider myself an atheist right now but in college I did.....and would point that out and it shocked people (not the profs they were great and really liked having me in class to stir things up). I think that IRL I must give off religous vibes....I have had a couple of times people ask DH and I if we were mormons. And when another woman in class found out my views her response was...but you act more like a christian than most christians I know.
    I really don't get it. I mean I am going to hell I guess because I'm not a jesus lover....even though I'm a great person....good, honest, helps others in my community, loyal and faithful to my family and friends, strong healthy relationship with DH. But I'm going to hell. Or I could just admit jesus into my heart or whatever it is, and than I can try to be a good person but if I slip up....oh well because I'm full of sin and all will be forgiven anyway.

    It takes so much more to be a good person just because it is the right thing to do.....than to be good just because you think that is what god wants and you are scared of going to hell and it wasn't for that, you wouldn't be a good person.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  16. #20116
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,942

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I am leaning toward Tombstone/Bisbee (sp?) area. We'll have to go another time to see the Grand Canyon.
    I've actually never been to Bisbee but everyone says it's a great place to go. An old mining town that is now an artist community. You should definitely go there. And it's really close to me!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Our schools used to go from last week of Aug to 2nd week of June. Now we start right after labor day and go to about the second week of June.
    I LOVE the fall and usually Sept is a great month. Oct can have great days....or it can snow. LOL I like not having to have the air on or the heat just yet and like the days getting shorter and needing the heavier blankets again. There is something about the leaves changing and the chrunch they make when you walk on them.....and the smell of them burning.
    Heck even Jan. can be just gorgeous...well until you go outside. LOL But inside on a Jan day looking out, the world can just sparkle from the snow and we get some of the most brillant blue skies on those days. Everything just seems so crisp. And than you go outside and it's -15 before the wind chill and you can hardly breathe
    May is usually pretty nice but this May has been a bit chilly. Normally should be in the 70's but we have been 60's and even upper 50's. Still wearing my fleece jacket to work in the morning...

    I don't think that I would hack it living in the south. I HATE driving in the snow but now that it's gone, the idea of it again in 5-6 months sounds nice. I think that my body adjusts better to cold than it does to heat!
    Yeah, we don't get falls like that! It really does feel more like spring than fall. Our May has actually been chilly for us, but we finally got up to the 90s consistently and today is supposed to be over 100 for the first time this year. I'm thankful I'm not at work because it got a little stuffy in there.

    About the morals thing - I just hate that. Can't people look around at other cultures that have moral traditions of their own? Why do people think there is only one type of morals? Really, the big stuff, like not murdering, reaches across cultures regardless of what people believe.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  17. #20117
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    I've actually never been to Bisbee but everyone says it's a great place to go. An old mining town that is now an artist community. You should definitely go there. And it's really close to me!
    We'll definitely have to see you!

    I went to Bisbee with the girls & Conner when we flew out to spend the week with Shannon. She literally took us everywhere in AZ-from Phoenix to Tombstone and up to the Grand Canyon, through Sedona and Jerome. I can't even remember all the places we saw that week. She really knows her state!

    But I said that the next time we went I wanted to spend more time in certain places. It was a toss up between spending 4 days or so in Tombstone or the Grand Canyon, but if we're going earlier in the year then I definitely want Tombstone. We can always go back again to spend time at the GC. When it's warmer.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  18. #20118
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,942

    Default

    DH was looking at our water bill for mid-April to mid-May (just after he came home) and we've used 4x as much water in April than we did in March. The big difference is DH home, so obviously twice as many showers, more laundry, etc. and we did start running the swamp coolers which use a lot of water but I still can't see how it quadrupled. We barely used the cooler until the last two weeks so I don't think that could have had much to do with it. If we were leaking that much water, we'd notice it somewhere?
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  19. #20119
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,942

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    We'll definitely have to see you!

    I went to Bisbee with the girls & Conner when we flew out to spend the week with Shannon. She literally took us everywhere in AZ-from Phoenix to Tombstone and up to the Grand Canyon, through Sedona and Jerome. I can't even remember all the places we saw that week. She really knows her state!

    But I said that the next time we went I wanted to spend more time in certain places. It was a toss up between spending 4 days or so in Tombstone or the Grand Canyon, but if we're going earlier in the year then I definitely want Tombstone. We can always go back again to spend time at the GC. When it's warmer.
    Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

    If we go to Georgia, though, we won't be here ... that would make me sad!
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  20. #20120
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    DH was looking at our water bill for mid-April to mid-May (just after he came home) and we've used 4x as much water in April than we did in March. The big difference is DH home, so obviously twice as many showers, more laundry, etc. and we did start running the swamp coolers which use a lot of water but I still can't see how it quadrupled. We barely used the cooler until the last two weeks so I don't think that could have had much to do with it. If we were leaking that much water, we'd notice it somewhere?
    Not if it's leaking underground somewhere. Can you have it tested? I think they can look and see how much you're consuming and compare it to how much is going out. If there's a significant difference, then there's a leak underground.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  21. #20121
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,942

    Default

    Oh, that's not what I want to have to deal with. Yuck.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  22. #20122
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Well I'd call the water company and see if they can determine that. Don't freak out yet!!

    If you're in GA when we go to AZ, I'll seriously be bummed.

    I found another job at Cornell to apply for. Again, it's essentially what I already do but with slightly less responsibility, and a full letter grade (more pay) than what I get now. Something has to work out for me, right?

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  23. #20123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I found another job at Cornell to apply for. Again, it's essentially what I already do but with slightly less responsibility, and a full letter grade (more pay) than what I get now. Something has to work out for me, right?

    "Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov


  24. #20124

    Default

    Good luck Chrissy!

  25. #20125
    3andMe's Avatar
    3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    21,515

    Default

    Good luck, Chrissy!

    Mandy, we had a huge water leak under a slab and we didn't see it but our water bills were drastically increased. Unfortunately, we don't get water bills except every 3 months, so we didn't realize it for a while.

    We spent last evening in the ER, after Claire fell off the monkey bars and put a hole in her forehead: http://lyds.org/. I was okay with it then, but today a co-worker pointed out how easily it could have been her eye, and my stomach did a little flip-flop. Dh gets really upset when the kids have injuries on their faces. He is concerned about scars.


  26. #20126
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    omg-that looks awful Lydia!

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  27. #20127

    Default

    Yick! Glad it wasn't more serious.

  28. #20128
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,694

    Default

    Oh wow...poor Claire. That hole did look huge.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  29. #20129
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,942

    Default

    Ouch, Claire! Hope she's okay.

    Chrissy, DH called the water company and they had a recorded message saying they were closed today due to a city furlough day. And Monday they are closed for Memorial Day so they won't be open until Tuesday.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  30. #20130
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Ugh-isn't that the way these things go.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •