Page 654 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 1545546046446526536546556566647047541154 ... LastLast
Results 19,591 to 19,620 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

OMG, Ky is 9???? How did that happen? Kids are not supposed to get so big so quickly.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Oh, and the Narnia Chronicles. Those were a huge hit for me. It's a wonder I'm not Christian after reading them.

Chrissy - you might actually really enjoy L'Engle even now. Her books are quite serious and complex even though they are for kids. In depth, they remind me a lot of Narnia, but more science based than Christian based.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Quote Originally Posted by The10Eels View Post
    I confess Audri just walked up to me holding a pad, and says "Look momma! A present for you! Happy mothers day!"

Quote Originally Posted by katycat24 View Post
    Oh, and the Narnia Chronicles. Those were a huge hit for me. It's a wonder I'm not Christian after reading them.

Chrissy - you might actually really enjoy L'Engle even now. Her books are quite serious and complex even though they are for kids. In depth, they remind me a lot of Narnia, but more science based than Christian based.
    I'm not sure what Narnia is? It's vaguely familiar and I'm sure when I google it I'll feel like a fool.

I hadn't heard about adult Sweet Valley book I might have to check it out!!

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

4. Default

I confess I just got a letter from the nursing dept at my college. Because I am taking the CNA class this summer, and it is so short they want us to have a few things done before the first day (CPR, and Proof of immunizations, etc) It also included rules about our uniform...

ALL WHITE. White scrub pants, top, and white nursing shoes. White tennis shoes with colored athletic symbols (aka nike or adidas) are not allowed.

I read it to my mom and she said "I thought the all white nurses uniform went out like 50 years ago!?" lol.

I am now shopping for the most boring outfit of my life!

Oh no Ash! All white! I'm sorry.
    I wasn't into the Narnia books either, but the movies are okay.
    One thing I never got into was Harry Potter. I read one book and it was okay but I just don't like the movies. There are so many of them and they come out so spaced apart that I have no grasp on the plot anymore.

Oh Ash that sucks!

I'm not a fan of Harry Potter either. I cannot get into that stuff. If it cannot possibly happen to me irl, I lose interest really fast. I started to read one book recently that started out really interesting...a young girl was escaping some sort of detention or prison and when she got to the fence she sprouted wings and flew over it. I stopped right there.

What book was that?
    It seems like if I could fly I wouldn't have been caught in the first place. But I don't know the story.

I don't know what book it was or even where it came from. Sometimes Bobbie comes home with books and it might have been one of hers. She's into fantasy. I think that the girl in the story didn't realize she could fly, or wasn't strong enough to fly, until that moment when the guards were chasing her.

It's just not my cup of tea at all. Once she sprouted wings and flew, I closed the book and returned it either to my bookcase or Bobbie. I don't know if I could find it now.

Madeleine L'Engle was my all-time favorite as a child. I haven't re-read her stuff in years, but I still love it. In fact, I'd love to name a girl Madeleine and it would be 100% in honor of her. Some of her writing is sciency-fi (not traditional sci-fi) and some is just teenage coming-of-age stuff but I remember someone reviewed her writing by saying "she writes about people who think." That's what I love about it more than anything. The people are so fascinating and it's all a little weird. Chrissy, you should read it. I really love how she had characters that would crop up, and some of the main characters in her sci-fi world interacted with minor characters who also knew the main characters in her non-sci-fi world. You felt that they were real people because there were connections between them.

The Little House books were also high on my re-read list. Actually about 10-ish years ago my uncle had surgery and my aunt started reading to him every night (they still do this, so sweet). She read him all the Little House books and he loved them! He was really interested in the pioneer aspect of it. Then they decided to go on a trip and visit many of the Little House sites. They invited my mom and I to go along, and we did. We drove all over South Dakota and Minnesota, but we didn't make it to Wisconsin. It was really fun!

I also read the Oz books, the Anne of Green Gables books (L.M. Montgomery is also one of my favorite writers), the Pern books (those weren't really for kids but I read them young), and the Narnia books although they weren't my most favorite. I loved anything about King Arthur. Oh, and the Susan Cooper "Dark is Rising" books were great, although I think I was a teenager when I started reading them. I read some Judy Blume and some of the Sweet Valley High books, too, but they were a little to mainstream for me. I liked being an oddball.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Oh gosh I forgot about the Oz books. I read all the spinoffs. LOL

The Boxcar Kids and Betsy, Tacy and Tib books!

I really need to start a list so I can get some of these to read JoJo

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Conner saw a man wearing a turbin and pointed to him and said, "Look Daddy! A genie!!"

:hehe: Oh boy.

Haha. Did the man hear him?

He didn't act like he did, but I don't know how he couldn't have. It could have been a lot worse. At least we're not racist & filled his head with crap.

I just thought-how do I explain religion to him when we're not religious? He doesn't know who Jesus is, and "Oh god!" is just an expression we use when things aren't going right or if we're in disbelief. Allah would be too difficult to explain I think, so I just said that he was from some place far away and those 'hats' are common where he's from. And I told him it's never polite to point at anyone. I probably could have said more, but like I said...I don't know how to explain religion to him.

I don't remember this with the girls, but when they were this little (especially Bobbie and Jessica) I was still on the fence and wanted to believe.

I think you explained it just fine. Anything else would have been too much information I think.
    From what I read about Islam last week, the turbans are not even a requirement for the religion, but are more of a regional thing...don't quote me on that though.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Conner saw a man wearing a turbin and pointed to him and said, "Look Daddy! A genie!!"

:hehe: Oh boy.

That is soooo cute!!! I love it when kids say things like that even though they can be embarrasing. Ky has asked people if they were pirates before. He saw a man with a bandana digging a hole to make new steps for a porch and was like "WOW!!! Are you digging for treasure?? Your're a pirate right!" The man looked all confused, then burst out laughing.

I just love to see the way their minds work when they aren't polluted by prejudices from parents. I can totally see a genie when it comes to a turbin headed person, but that is just me. I think you handled it great though.

About religion, since our families are uber religious, I went into the whole religion thing pretty early with Ky. He knew that people believed different things about God. Some people believed God was named Jesus or Jehovah or Allah. Some people don't believe in God at all. That was basically the whole conversation for a while. Fortunately we don't live around our uber religious family or I'm sure there would be more questions.

Oh, and I can't believe Ky is 9 either. We wear the same shoe size now. He is just huge. Time goes by way to fast. I got teared up looking at how tall he is the other day while holding my friend's new baby boy. The baby was the same weight and height Ky was when he was born and I was just thinking how it felt like only a week ago I was holding him as a newborn and now he is this huge dude. I think I will be a mess when he is a teenager.

Erin

17. Default

I confess I just found out I will not be able to graduate when I had been anticipating...

I needed to take an online biology class this summer in order to take human a&p in the fall and a&p 2 next spring to graduate next may.

It has ONE in person lab, they just determined the date... It is the next to last day of my CNA class... EFF me.

It is going to take me an additional year to get my degree all because of this ONE lab..

I'm sorry Ash. What a pain!

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    Oh, and I can't believe Ky is 9 either. We wear the same shoe size now. He is just huge. Time goes by way to fast. I got teared up looking at how tall he is the other day while holding my friend's new baby boy. The baby was the same weight and height Ky was when he was born and I was just thinking how it felt like only a week ago I was holding him as a newborn and now he is this huge dude. I think I will be a mess when he is a teenager.

Erin
    I can't believe he's 9 either. I don't think it gets any easier to watch them grow, but there are definitely positives to it. They're still amazing and have the ability to make me laugh...but man, I do miss when they were little.

Quote Originally Posted by The10Eels View Post
    I confess I just found out I will not be able to graduate when I had been anticipating...

I needed to take an online biology class this summer in order to take human a&p in the fall and a&p 2 next spring to graduate next may.

It has ONE in person lab, they just determined the date... It is the next to last day of my CNA class... EFF me.

It is going to take me an additional year to get my degree all because of this ONE lab..
    Oh no! Is there any way to take the lab at another college and transfer it?

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Oh no! Is there any way to take the lab at another college and transfer it?
    This, or maybe you could work something out with the instructor of your CNA class?

Speaking of dumb arguements, Josh asked DH to do a puzzle with him this morning. I was in the other room and all of a sudden I heard Josh crying. I went in and Josh was in a ball on the couch and DH was doing the puzzle. DH said "I wasn't doing it the way he wanted to" and I found out through a series of questions that Josh said to do the edges first (I taught him a long time ago that's the easiest way to do a puzzle) and DH told him "That's not how I do puzzles" and proceeded to do the middle pieces.
    Really?
    I said to DH "Just think about what you're arguing with him about and if it really matters" and DH said he'd try.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I can't remember where you're living now Ashley, Wyoming or Alaska - but I had to go take a couple of classes in Colorado one summer when I was in nursing school in Wyoming. I would consider doing that sooner than putting off graduating a year, or talking to the school. Do you have an advisor? You can't be the only person who can't make it. What if someone is sick that day, too?

I forgot to tell you guys that I finally told the twins about Esme. We were looking at pictures of Costa Rica, and Esme's pictures were nearby. So I showed her to them, and told them about their sister who was born a year before they were born, but she died when she was very little. I was a little worried about how they would take it, more because Claire gets really upset when she sees pictures of us with people she doesn't know - she is unhappy that things happened before she was born, kind of like not being invited to a party.

Anyway, it went well. Ronin asked if she died because of a brain problem. I said yes. They talked about her a lot that day and evening and asked dh about her too, and said it made them sad that they had a sister they didn't know, but now they just occasionally ask, "Hey mommy, what is my other sister's name again?" I think it was a good time to tell them.

Aw What sweet kids.

Lydia. It sounds like it was the perfect time to tell them.

I'm so sorry for all of it.

ugh Kate-what is with men? Sometimes I think their inner child comes out too often!

Lydia, it sounds like it was a good time. It must have been a really tough decision to make.

I know! I told him, I feel like I have two 4 year olds right now. LOL

That's exactly what it feels like here sometimes. I've told Rich that I feel like I have 5 kids.

Last edited by missychrissy; 05-08-2011 at 08:59 AM.

Happy mother's day to you too Chrissy.
    My mom and her boyfriend came up and we did a sort of dual mother's day/my birthday thing. I felt bad because her boyfriend's birthday is the day after mine and I didn't think to get his gift early. I'm gonna have to order him something online before I leave for the cruise.
    I was also sort of discombobulated because I wasn't sure how long the food was going to take, and I was nervous about that. It didn't take much longer than I expected.
    Today we had a good number of kids show up for my church class, and then the older kids came in and invited them to help clean up a small beach nearby, so we didn't have class. I wasn't dressed well for the beach so I went to the service. Now DH and Josh are over at the inlaws.

We didn't do anything really special. Rich isn't feel good. He's been sick since Wednesday. He made me breakfast though and Tim fixed my car for me. I needed the two front drive axles replaced, the passenger bearing, and passenger side headlight. Is it sad that I'm very excited about that?