Page 653 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 1535536036436516526536546556637037531153 ... LastLast
Results 19,561 to 19,590 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I was a voracious reader, too. Couldn't go for a 10-minute car ride without packing along books. What about Madeleine L'Engle? Those were good young adult books back in our day. I liked her better than Judy Blume.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    http://www.lauraingallspepin.com/index.htm Birthplace and it looks like there is something in Walnut Grove Minnesota (by the Twin Cities). So not sure if she was born in Pepin and than moved to Walnut Grove before they headed out to the prairies?

We definitely plan on going but I was waiting for my mom and last year we were always so busy when they came up with moving or doing stuff at the house.
    Now I really want to go there. And re-read her books again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    I was a voracious reader, too. Couldn't go for a 10-minute car ride without packing along books. What about Madeleine L'Engle? Those were good young adult books back in our day. I liked her better than Judy Blume.
    I'm not familiar with her.

I also liked Charlotte Bronte and all her books as well.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Ah, the Brontes are what made me fall in love with England originally.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    Ah, the Brontes are what made me fall in love with England originally.
    No kidding. I always imagined living there myself.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Now I really want to go there. And re-read her books again.
    Well if you ever head over to WI, you could go visit with me and Bridget, and see the Laura Ingalls Wilder places. Now I would say you could also go to the Mall of America but I know how much you love shopping. If you like cheesecake, my favorite place in the Twin Cities has the very best cheesecake ever (well everything there is fantastic....thank god we don't live close to go all that often!)
    Not too far from the Laura Ingalls place there is a cave that is pretty cool...we have done that tour twice.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

What about Madeleine L'Engle? Those were good young adult books back in our day. I liked her better than Judy Blume.
    Madeleine L'Engle was marvelous.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I didn't care much for sci-fi back in the younger years so I skipped over that. I know in class they made us read The Chocolate War, which was sort of supposed to the start of YA as a genre. But really I thought it was just kind of lame. I much preferred Annie on My Mind as a great YA book. I think that Chocolate War was 1970's, Annie was 1980's.

I more consider Judy Blume to be a childrens author, vs ya.

I was another who couldn't go anywhere in the car without a book. Which is why when I started driving, it took me over an hour to find the grocery store with my dad and why I didn't know how to get to my high school.....when I had lived in that town and that house, my entire 15-16 years. The high school was literally down the road with only two turns. I have a terrible sense of direction to this day.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Oh, it was sci-fi? That explains why the name wasn't familiar. I've never been a fan. And yes, Judy Blume is a children's author. I think I went straight from children's books to adult. In 5th grade, my final book report was Elvis, What Happened?

Well if you ever head over to WI, you could go visit with me and Bridget, and see the Laura Ingalls Wilder places. Now I would say you could also go to the Mall of America but I know how much you love shopping. If you like cheesecake, my favorite place in the Twin Cities has the very best cheesecake ever (well everything there is fantastic....thank god we don't live close to go all that often!)
    Not too far from the Laura Ingalls place there is a cave that is pretty cool...we have done that tour twice.
    It's definitely on my 'to-do' list and I'll be sure to hook up with you and Bridget when that time comes. At least going back to our old house will enable us to afford to travel more extensively now...providing we're able to do all the renovations ourselves. We'll see.
    Last edited by missychrissy; 05-10-2011 at 06:59 PM.

I didn't like the Madeleine L'Engle books either. Not my thing.

I have also never heard of Madeline L'Engle. I wonder if I have just forgotten. I was an avid reader because I felt that the universe had played a trick on me as a child and placed me with crazy people so I needed an escape and TV wasn't enough of an escape.

I remember reading "Gone With the Wind." I thought all my thoughts in a southern accent for a whole month after reading it. I still do that when I read Irish or African or really any kind of literature, I read it in their voices and the accents get stuck in my thoughts. I am weird like that.

I confess that DH bought me "The Secret Lives of Bees" from the library as he didn't know that I had already read it. It is a good book, much better than the movie, I'm glad that I saw the movie before reading the book or I would have been really upset about how they ruined the book. But anyway, Ky picked it up because he liked the cover and now is reading it. DH says it's "chick literature" and maybe we shouldn't let him read it but really it is not all that graphic of a book or anything and I read much worse books at his age and I am somewhat normal.

Erin

I love that book! I read it fairly recently too....and doh at your dh! Cripes-any reading is good reading. My parents never censored my reading, and I don't plan on it with my kids either.

I get overwhelmed with love whenever Conner brings me a book to read to him. I really hope he becomes a reader. Bobbie is, Jessica is not, and Sydney is only into it mildly. Rich has never read a full book cover to cover in his life! Although when I was pregnant with Bobbie and it was just the two of us, we'd often sit in bed and he'd listen while I read books out loud to him. He liked Dan Koontz

Oh I liked that movie and had that book in my hand the other day and put it back. I wonder if it's still on our free book cart? (we have a free book exchange....bring them, take them as needed....works since we carry absolutely NO fiction in our library....actually kind of funny being a librarian in a non-fiction library when basically all I like reading is fiction!).

My parents didn't censor my reading either....though it did make my mom go when I was reading in 2nd grade and wanted to know what a corpse was. I was reading a nancy drew and there was a murder so there was a corpse.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Oh I liked that movie and had that book in my hand the other day and put it back. I wonder if it's still on our free book cart? (we have a free book exchange....bring them, take them as needed....works since we carry absolutely NO fiction in our library....actually kind of funny being a librarian in a non-fiction library when basically all I like reading is fiction!).

My parents didn't censor my reading either....though it did make my mom go when I was reading in 2nd grade and wanted to know what a corpse was. I was reading a nancy drew and there was a murder so there was a corpse.
    LOL!!

I usually don't censor Ky's books, he loves to read now after not really liking it at all the past couple years. I read all of Stephen King's books and other adult literature as well when I was younger than him.

DH was worried it might have sex in it. He doesn't want Ky to be oversexualized. I agree, but there isn't any sex in it. He also thinks Ky is "soft" and that he should read more about "manly" things. But I LOL at that being that the majority of what Ky reads is graphic super hero novels, even adult comic graphic novels that he probably shouldn't be reading.

Plus, DH read the first page of "The Color Purple" which basically starts (if you haven't read it) "when he put his d*ck in my p**sy...." and so on and now DH equates that book with all contemporarly "women's" literature when that is not the case. DH mostly reads non-fiction and doesn't particularly like any fiction books at all.

Erin

imo, there's no such thing as being 'too soft' for a boy. It sounds like something Rich would say. He doesn't vocalize it, but I can tell he gets worried when Conner asks for his toenails painted or god forbid plays Daddy with his doll.

I think quite a few men have issues thinking boys are "too soft." DH amazes me about the things he says regarding Ky. DH was abused by his stepfather as a child physically, not to the extreme of hospitalization, but basically the guy used to punch him with full strength in the body when DH was only 7 years old. Even though he would never do that to Ky, he thinks that enduring that made him "tough" and since Ky has such a great childhood he may be a "soft" "weak" man when he grows up so he doesn't want extra "soft" influences on his son. But really Ky is really what you would call a "boy's boy." He is a daredevil and rough and tumble. He actually is alot like DH except nicer and I imagine that DH was pretty much the same way when he was a little boy and I am always saddened when I think of someone punching him when he was a boy just for saying silly things that Ky says.

I think way too many men have this irrational fear about their boys. My own grandfather had a ludicrous fear that my dad would be gay because he grew up with 4 sisters. To reduce the risk of homosexuality he took my dad to strip clubs when he was 12 years old and to bars and they would pick up women. My grandfather was a huge womanizer and adulterer. My dad is the same as a result of this influence on him.

Erin

I hate to think of the stuff my dh endured too...especially when I see Conner playing. I also imagine Rich was like that and was hit often. And hard.

Josh is a little of both too. He loves to play power rangers and superheroes and wrestle with DH and he also gravitates toward pink things and likes to draw flowers. DH reads too much into the more feminine things Josh likes. I keep trying to tell him Josh doesn't know it's a girl thing to like those things. He just likes them.

Conner's favorite colors (right now) are pink and blue. To give the guys their credit, neither my husband or brother have commented on it. Uncle Tim just nodded his head when Conner told him his favorite color was pink.

LOL. Well it changes every day here, but I know if he's given a choice, he'll pick the pink thing.

imo, there's no such thing as being 'too soft' for a boy. It sounds like something Rich would say. He doesn't vocalize it, but I can tell he gets worried when Conner asks for his toenails painted or god forbid plays Daddy with his doll.
    I agree....and since I'm the one with the ultra sensitive DH, he would too. I know how he felt when his stepdad took away his stuffed animal he slept with because it wasn't manly enough. Or hearing how he wasn't man enough for high school, man enough to take a bus, man enough to go to college, man enough to have a girlfriend.....well considering that DH did all that including grad school and got married, he showed that a-hole (who is the other person I have intense hatred for and am thankful he's now dead...no wonder i have so much more self-esteem than DH does).
    DH has no problem with boys having stuffed animals or playing house....maybe painted nails but he doesn't like painted nails are girls either and I don't have any polish anymore. Dh already does most of the cleaning himself....think that I will probably end up going home to a clean house....and will help cook if I need it.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

My boss wears a pink shirt sometimes...he's just a bit older than me and married with two girls. Pink looks nice on him. Mine doesn't wear pink but I don't think that it would be his color.....his color is blue and after that purple....he has a lot of shirts in those colors.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I hate the idea of anyone taking his stuffed animal away from him. How awful!

24. Default

Im late in the reading convo, but of all the books you guys mentioned the only one I had ever read was Number The Stars... and I was a big reader too...

I remember participating in the Battle of the Books yearly, and going to the district level many times.

I confess Audri just walked up to me holding a pad, and says "Look momma! A present for you! Happy mothers day!"

I know. We still have his animals though. He was only nine. I mean I could maybe see saying, hey son, you might not want to take the animal to sleepover at your friends house because they might not understand. But at home, what harm did that cause?
    His mom's biggest regret in life is taking 15 years to leave him (he was much different before the marriage) and she did her best to try to shield him from from the stepdad.
    The stepdad HATED me. First off, I don't think that he thought I was hot enough....I mean if he's going to bring home a gf, should be a really hot 18 yr old right? And second, I was suddenly the most important person to him and always encouraging and supportive. And last, I didn't put up with his BS.....if in a general conversation I knew he was wrong, I would say something like oh I heard it was the other way. He was a bully and he was insecure and not the brightest. I wasn't afraid though because if he ever had so much as poked his finger at me, my daddy would have kicked his butt and my dad is a big guy.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I also loved Sweet Valley ...
    I'm sorry I have so much to say in response to the gender conditioning topic. (I wanna hug the young version of your DH, jennifer). But I only have a sec to ask Chrissy... are you going to read THIS?!?

http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Valley-C.../dp/0312667574

I mos def'ly am.

My hubby is a really sensitive guy, so we have a lot of laughs at all the boys in our family when they want to wear make up or paint their nails. It really bothers my brother in law though as he's a macho guy and his oldest son likes to ball room dance and wear lip gloss.

My hubby had a Leave it to Beaver childhood while I coped with parents who were always working and when they weren't working were drunk most of the time.

I plan on reading the adult sweet valley book!

That is sad about the stuffed animals. Ky is 9 and still has 2 stuffed animals that he won't part with and his soft baby blanket. He is very attached to all three and will give you evil looks if you even talk to him about giving them up.

They are doing a time capsule at his school and I suggested that he put Beary (his first teddy bear he got when he was a year old, all the names of his first stuffed animals were just offshoots of what the animal was, hence the name Bear-y) in the time capsule. The item will only be in it for a year so not forever and he looked at me like I was crazy and said "I'm not putting Beary into that!!" He was shocked I would ask him such a thing. It was pretty cute.

Erin

Me too. And he was soo cute and from what his mom says, a really good kid. I have spent a lot of time in the past 13 years hugging him....and why I am VERY careful about what I say when we fight.

Oh how about this, when he was about 12, he got some weird brain thing and had seizures and went into a coma (it was not menigitis)....they still don't know what it was. They told his mom they didn't think that he was going to make it and were getting about ready to cut his skull open when he woke up....and asked for his stepdad instead of his mom. One of those weird things that they are both like huh?

And DH does have some good memories of him so it wasn't all bad for 15 years....but it could have been really great if his stepdad would have been just a little different.

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    . (I wanna hug the young version of your DH, jennifer).

Jennifer, 35, DH 36