Page 648 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 1485485986386466476486496506586987481148 ... LastLast
Results 19,411 to 19,440 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

  1. #19411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I totally agree with you, so much so that I typed out ita.

    To be fair, not all of them are holier than thou. I know our sweet Bridget isn't totally into the celebratory thing, but she's genuine about it and totally non-hypocritical. But I kwym because there are far too many that are being hypocrites.
    Yes, my irritation is squarely aimed at those sanctimonious status updates I keep seeing by people who have previously talked openly about supporting distinctly violent causes.
    Last edited by AbbeysMom; 05-02-2011 at 02:03 PM.



    lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

  2. #19412
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Maybe I'm barbaric, but if I lived near Washington DC or NYC, I would have been celebrating too.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  3. #19413
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    In a van, DOWN BY THE RIVER!
    Posts
    8,435

    Default

    I think with having lived over here for so long where people are so laid back about stuff, I was taken aback when seeing people celebrating but then when I thought about, it makes sense since he was the person that masterminded the 9/11 events.

  4. #19414
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,686

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Maybe I'm barbaric, but if I lived near Washington DC or NYC, I would have been celebrating too.
    I might have been too. I think that it's more than just celebrating a death (though certainly something that is done and is part of the culture, even going back to Wizard of Oz...Ding Dong the wicked witch is dead.....). I mean we went to war for 10 years and the basic idea was to get bin Laden. It's like there is a sense of relief that finally we know his fate and finally we got something from a 10 year war. Normally I'm all about sticking criminals in jail instead of killing them....BUT I think that in this case, a quick death is much easier on the american people and better for us than going through a very long, very expensive fiancially and emotionally, trial.

    I do get irritated when I see conservatives b8tching about this when we all know darn well that had this been five years ago and Bush was the CIC, they would have been out celebrating.

    Now if only we would get around to stop occupying other countries....I mean Hitler has been dead for more than 60 years and I can barely remember an East and West Germany.....do we REALLY still need to have a bunch of troops there?

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  5. #19415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I might have been too. I think that it's more than just celebrating a death (though certainly something that is done and is part of the culture, even going back to Wizard of Oz...Ding Dong the wicked witch is dead.....). I mean we went to war for 10 years and the basic idea was to get bin Laden. It's like there is a sense of relief that finally we know his fate and finally we got something from a 10 year war. Normally I'm all about sticking criminals in jail instead of killing them....BUT I think that in this case, a quick death is much easier on the american people and better for us than going through a very long, very expensive fiancially and emotionally, trial.

    I do get irritated when I see conservatives b8tching about this when we all know darn well that had this been five years ago and Bush was the CIC, they would have been out celebrating.

    Now if only we would get around to stop occupying other countries....I mean Hitler has been dead for more than 60 years and I can barely remember an East and West Germany.....do we REALLY still need to have a bunch of troops there?

    ITA. Though I am happy bin Laden is dead, I am not celebrating or anything of the sort, but I can so understand the cheering in NYC and DC. My cousin was in DC at the time in college and we were so scared as we had not heard from her for a couple days after 9/11. My roomates in college were from NYC. One lost a family member at the trade center and was devastated. New Yorkers (and DCers) went through so much because of this event, are still going through so much, and I do feel they have the right to celebrate and I am happy that they have been given the opportunity to do so.

    I won't lie though, I did have reservations about the cheering and such, as I personally don't see the need, but I guess knowing the stories of some of the people who were affected do make me realize that they feel they have something to celebrate and it is not politicized, it is just raw emotion and relief IMO.

    Erin

  6. #19416

    Default

    This quote pretty much summarizes how I feel about it:

    ‎"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." --Martin Luther King, Jr

    I understand the impulse to celebrate but at the risk of sounding like a crotchety old lady, I find it unseemly and inappropriate. Justice has been served and I am thankful for that, but I don't like the cheering and chanting and flag waving. It looks like the crowds we see in Iran, Iraq, Pakistan who cheer and celebrate when something horrible happens over here. I worry what we as a country are becoming.

    Just me 2 cents.

    "Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov


  7. #19417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by katycat24 View Post
    This quote pretty much summarizes how I feel about it:

    ‎"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." --Martin Luther King, Jr

    I understand the impulse to celebrate but at the risk of sounding like a crotchety old lady, I find it unseemly and inappropriate. Justice has been served and I am thankful for that, but I don't like the cheering and chanting and flag waving. It looks like the crowds we see in Iran, Iraq, Pakistan who cheer and celebrate when something horrible happens over here. I worry what we as a country are becoming.

    Just me 2 cents.
    I agree with this. It's always been one of my favorite quotes of his.
    Midge said in the other thread that people's reactions are not right are wrong, they just are. Raw, true reactions. And I guess I can't argue with that. I feel like I should just stay off facebook though because the smugness of it all bothers me a bit. I support our troops and I am thankful for everything they do (even if some think I should pack up and leave if I don't like it here) but my family that has served, including my dad who fought in Vietnam will be the first to tell me that war is horrible and ugly and to many soldier even, killing does not feel good. War is a soul sucking evil. Many innocent people are dead on all side of this and, for lack of eloquence, it just sucks. I love our country and I am thankful that I feel safe here. But I won't rejoice violence. I just won't.
    Last edited by Bridget; 05-02-2011 at 11:37 PM.

  8. #19418
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Do you ever find yourself exhibiting stalkerish behavior?? Or....is it just me?
    I do that, although I agree with the others that if people didn't want you to see it, they wouldn't post it. Sometimes I do feel like a stalker, though.

    Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Some are saying that none have the power, money, connections, or charisma that Osama had and don't pose the threat he did. I'm sure people aren't going to be happy, but it sounds like we'll have to keep our military over there to continue the crusade of disbanded and disrupting the terrorists for quite some time.
    The troops aren't going anywhere. There are local affiliates of al Quaeda, and beyond that part of what the troops are doing is building stability so people like bin Laden or the Taliban don't have room to come fill the vacuum that will be left when the military leaves. Otherwise we'll be back to square one with more lives lost. So leaving stability behind when we go is essential.

    I thought this article was pretty good.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    I was also happy about Osama bin Laden. It has been a long time coming and I guess because I know so many people who were affected by 9/11 it makes me feel good that those who lost people will finally have some closure.
    My brother was in downtown Manhattan on the morning of 9/11 and my brother in law was also in the city. I was chatting with my sister last night and she was talking about how panicked she was that day, not knowing where her husband was, and how so many of her friends were talking about going to Ground Zero. Then I got to work this morning and a co-worker was saying she couldn't understand why the people in NY wanted to go down to Ground Zero - I pointed out to her that out here we don't realize how close to home it came for the people in NY.

    Quote Originally Posted by AbbeysMom View Post
    So irritated with the conservative anti-Obama whackjobs suddenly acting like celebrating someone's death is totally barbaric. Are you even freakin' serious? Unbelievable hypocrisy.
    I totally, completely understand your irritation over hypocrisy - but none of the conservatives I know have made that statement. Although my brother's girlfriend who is extremely liberal has. We must have a very different facebook crowd.

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    I love our country and I am thankful that I feel safe here. But I won't rejoice violence. I just won't.
    I get that, and I love that about you. I am glad they caught bin Laden, but I'm not rejoicing at violence. I do rejoice at the thought of the thousands of innocent lives that potentially have been saved by this action, at the cost of a very small number of very, very violent and bloodthirsty lives.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  9. #19419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post

    I totally, completely understand your irritation over hypocrisy - but none of the conservatives I know have made that statement. Although my brother's girlfriend who is extremely liberal has. We must have a very different facebook crowd.


    Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post

    I get that, and I love that about you. I am glad they caught bin Laden, but I'm not rejoicing at violence. I do rejoice at the thought of the thousands of innocent lives that potentially have been saved by this action, at the cost of a very small number of very, very violent and bloodthirsty lives.
    No rejoicing over violence here either. I hope no one here thought that. I just was a little irritated with the biblical quotes, when the same people were posting biblical quotes supporting murder and violence in other instances. I've defriended a few people now, and permanently hidden others posts. So now I can live in blissful ignorance of other people's hypocrisy.

    I've seen the MLK quote about a million times on facebook too, so I must be friends with some good people too.

    I do have to say that I'm proud that our military made sure that he received a burial in accordance with his beliefs. I'm also proud that our government chose to target the person and not the entire building, which undoubtedly saved lives. I'll cheer that, because those small acts of respect and humanity show how far we as a nation have progressed.



    lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

  10. #19420
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    I borrowed someones facebook status for my own, "Dear Westboro Baptist Church, we have a funeral you can protest. It's in Pakistan, we'll help you pack. Sincerely, America."

    I thought that was pretty clever.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  11. #19421

    Default

    I've seen the MLK quote passed around too. I've wanted to "like" or say I agree with it, but I've decided not to comment on anyone's comments on this topic on fb or twitter. I don't like getting involved in political arguments.

  12. Default

    My favorite one that I have seen so far was "In a single last act of Terrorism, Osama Bin Laden bombed my news feed"

  13. #19423
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AbbeysMom View Post
    I do have to say that I'm proud that our military made sure that he received a burial in accordance with his beliefs. I'm also proud that our government chose to target the person and not the entire building, which undoubtedly saved lives. I'll cheer that, because those small acts of respect and humanity show how far we as a nation have progressed.
    I very much agree with you. And I did not think you were rejoicing over violence - I hope my post did not give you the impression that I did.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12


  14. #19425

    Default



    The quote that is so meaningful is not real

    http://m.theatlantic.com/national/ar...s-born/238220/

    "Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov


  15. #19426
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,927

    Default

    Ashley, yum!

    This is my new addiction: http://www.haagen-dazs.com/products/five.aspx
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  16. #19427

    Default

    I don't like ice cream.
    I'm not tempted by someone eating it right next to me. Once in a while I will try a sample of a flavor at a store but that's about it.
    I do like ice cream sodas though...my favorite thing when I was pregnant was chocolate soda with chocolate ice cream.

  17. #19428

    Default

    Too funny about the MLK quote. It was a good one, too. Oh well...I guess it doesn't matter who said it (or if anyone said it at all) if it rings true to people.

  18. #19429

    Default

    Only the first part of the quote is not real. It probably started out as a case of misplaced quotation marks.

  19. #19430

    Default

    Remember the mom who wanted me to give a time out for potty accidents? (Oh and Kate, it is against state licensing regulations for me to give timeouts for potty accidents. Not that I would anyway...) Well, the little girl had one yesterday and when mom picked up she was not happy. She spent 10 minutes forcing the girl to apologize to me for peeing in her pants at my house. It was very uncomfortable. Very.
    We leave for Canada tomorrow to visit dbf's family. I am actually really looking forward to it for the most part. I really love when my kids get to soak up the adoration of the family. I'm a little nervous because both his mom and his sister have really child unfriendly homes with lots of expensive things to break and spill on. I remember last time his mom was upset that soy sauce got spilled on her silk tablecloth. Jaysus, it's a tablecloth! Even I am nervous to eat at her table!

  20. #19431
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I don't like ice cream.
    I'm not a fan of it either! Once or twice during the summer I'll get a sundae, but mostly because everyone else in my family begs to go to the ice cream parlor. If it were just me, I'd probably never eat it.

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Remember the mom who wanted me to give a time out for potty accidents? (Oh and Kate, it is against state licensing regulations for me to give timeouts for potty accidents. Not that I would anyway...) Well, the little girl had one yesterday and when mom picked up she was not happy. She spent 10 minutes forcing the girl to apologize to me for peeing in her pants at my house. It was very uncomfortable. Very.
    We leave for Canada tomorrow to visit dbf's family. I am actually really looking forward to it for the most part. I really love when my kids get to soak up the adoration of the family. I'm a little nervous because both his mom and his sister have really child unfriendly homes with lots of expensive things to break and spill on. I remember last time his mom was upset that soy sauce got spilled on her silk tablecloth. Jaysus, it's a tablecloth! Even I am nervous to eat at her table!
    Ugh, I feel bad for that little girl. Doesn't the mom realize she's making it worse?

    And why can't dbf's family put their nice things up for a little while? It won't hurt them none, and will enable everyone to really have a nice time without worrying about a little soy sauce on a table cloth!

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  21. #19432

    Default

    Hopefully they will this time Chrissy. My mil is one who believes that children need to learn the word no. Which, duh, my kids know the word. And they are actually really good about listening at other people's homes and respecting rules and such but they are also kids, you know? So there is that lack of impulse control and just clumsiness in general.
    I remember when she was here she was helping us arrange our living room. (She is an interior designer.) The way she had it set up created this little cave of space between two items of furniture with a plant that was on a tall thin plant stand and the plant leaves cascaded down to the floor. Well, hello perfect fort!! The kids immediately went back there and she all, no no no! You can't play back there. She just couldn't believe that I wouldn't have a space like that in my home that was so appealing to them that they weren't allowed in. That they need to learn they can't do whatever they want. The way I see it, it's their home too and I really don't care to have a corner of the living room off limits to them.

  22. #19433
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    I agree with you Bridget. Life is too short and their childhood will go by in a blink of an eye. Who wants to spend the entire day saying "No!" to their kids? Somehow, they 'get it' about spaces they can't access as they grow up. Mine did anyway. Bobbie wouldn't go into her home and climb behind her plants. Conner would.
    Last edited by missychrissy; 05-03-2011 at 06:32 AM.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  23. #19434
    3andMe's Avatar
    3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    21,510

    Default

    I love all of your new siggy pictures, Bridget.


  24. #19435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Remember the mom who wanted me to give a time out for potty accidents? (Oh and Kate, it is against state licensing regulations for me to give timeouts for potty accidents. Not that I would anyway...) Well, the little girl had one yesterday and when mom picked up she was not happy. She spent 10 minutes forcing the girl to apologize to me for peeing in her pants at my house. It was very uncomfortable. Very.
    We leave for Canada tomorrow to visit dbf's family. I am actually really looking forward to it for the most part. I really love when my kids get to soak up the adoration of the family. I'm a little nervous because both his mom and his sister have really child unfriendly homes with lots of expensive things to break and spill on. I remember last time his mom was upset that soy sauce got spilled on her silk tablecloth. Jaysus, it's a tablecloth! Even I am nervous to eat at her table!
    That is so awkward that she would go to that length to have the child apologize. Very strange IMO, I mean kids do have accidents and since you have kids and run a daycare you would think that the mom would know it isn't that big of a deal for you. A couple months ago Elle had an accident at daycare and one of the little boy's told me "Ellasyn peed on herself, you need to give her a whipping." I was like huh! I told him I hope no one gives him a whipping if he pees on himself because little kids do that sometimes. Elle kept asking me afterwards was I going to whip her. My childcare provider looked really embarrassed. She has actually had to call DFCS on another child's parents because the parent, when they found out their kid had an accident, gave the child a spanking in her daycare, which is not allowed at all so she reported it. I just don't understand the need for punishment for potty accidents, they really aren't that big of a deal.

    I hope you have a good time in Canada and you won't feel too nervous. My MIL is kind of like that and I used to be nervous but now I just ask her to make sure to put up breakables. Luckily, she is a nice thoughtful woman and loves her grandkids and knows that children are clumsy and accidentally distructive sometimes so she prepares when we come for a visit.

    Erin

  25. #19436
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,686

    Default

    Wait, so you mean Bobbie wouldn't want to make a fort out of a cool fort space? LOL

    The MLK quote being fake is kind of funny. And normally I would agree with the idea behind it.....but I just don't in this case. While I think that two bullets to the head was way too nice and easy for him (too bad we couldn't have sent say Dexter after him....if you know Dexter was real!).....I just don't think it would have been good to have him captured alive and trying to deal with a trial and all that and this big drawn out thing to giving him the death penalty anyway. Seems like that would have just created more chaos.
    Plus I don't really think that a person like that deserves to be called a human being.

    As for ice cream, I like it and will eat it but I'm not that big on it. It can sit in my freezer for a long time without tempting me. I am much worse with things like leftover pastas (spaghetti, mac and cheese, lasagna...and yup, I like them cold and not reheated), cold pizza, alcohol.....
    I do though like frozen custard.....Milwaukee has some great small local places. Now where I live, we have to settle for Culvers....Dh likes a turtle custard sundae and I like the one with strawberries. He likes a two scoop one but for me, one scoop is more than enough. Once I got used to custard, ice cream seems really kind of boring and plain.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  26. #19437

    Default

    Oh, I didn't think you would punish for accidents anyway, but I was wondering if you said it was against the law so you'd have a way out, or if it was really true.

    Only a couple years ago I spilled a glass of red wine on my mom's tablecloth and she blew a gasket about it. I ended up being the one telling her it was okay, instead of the other way around.

  27. #19438
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    In a van, DOWN BY THE RIVER!
    Posts
    8,435

    Default

    All these negative comments on facebook about Obama claiming credit for the death of Bin Laden really tick me off; I feel like I need to put something positive out there for the Pres like "thanks, Barack Obama, for making my life as an expat a whole lot easier...I never get asked why my fellow citizens elected such a twat for a President now." I used to cringe when people asked me about GWB. Any how. That's my complaint of the day.

  28. #19439
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Wait, so you mean Bobbie wouldn't want to make a fort out of a cool fort space? LOL
    Well, Jesi would for sure! So maybe they don't all learn with age.

    Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Only a couple years ago I spilled a glass of red wine on my mom's tablecloth and she blew a gasket about it. I ended up being the one telling her it was okay, instead of the other way around.
    Ugh, I hate that! My mom has a tendency to be that way. Even as an adult, it's hard to not feel like the possession is 'worth more' than yourself as a person. The only thing being that anal about materialistic things does is alienate yourself a little from the people you get huffy at for breaking/ruining/staining your things. I know my girls prefer to not visit my mom just for this very reason. She's done that to herself.

    Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    I feel like I need to put something positive out there for the Pres like "thanks, Barack Obama, for making my life as an expat a whole lot easier...I never get asked why my fellow citizens elected such a twat for a President now." I used to cringe when people asked me about GWB.
    No kidding. I was seriously embarrassed when he was our president. Heck, I still get embarrassed that he was our president.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  29. #19440
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,686

    Default

    No kidding....we almost went to France a few years ago and I was picturing having to say Je n'aime pas president Bush all the time....Dh and I are pretty obvious Americans. My friend who is French said that she was always explaining that not all americans like Bush or are like that (she considers my family to be family to her....and nobody in my family likes Bush! I grew up with a family full of democrat liberals).

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •