Page 647 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 147 547 597 637645646647648649 657 697 747 1147 ... LastLast
Results 19,381 to 19,410 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Tough record that he'd hung onto
    They also bought me a Kindle cover with a light.
    What a thoughtful gift!!

Bummer about your church group. It sounds like they're leaving everything up to you. Are you thinking about what you're going to talk about next week?

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Oh and the inspection went very well. Our landlords were very nice. They're going to list the house for sale. They'll let us know when the realtor will be coming.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Oh and the inspection went very well. Our landlords were very nice. They're going to list the house for sale. They'll let us know when the realtor will be coming.
    Oh good!
    Next week I think we will review Judaism because they're supposedly going to the synagogue on the following Saturday (if anyone shows up)
    It sounds like a good time; the rabbi is setting aside time after to have lunch with them and answer any questions. I'll be on the cruise though.

Chrissy, I am glad things are working out with the house.
    Kate, did you know your dad had the album or was it a surprise? That's so cool of him.
    Lydia, did you get any video game practice in this weekend? Your dh reminds of of dbf in trying to teach me something he has no patience at all and it pisses me off when he starts acting like I'm stupid because I don't get it.

I've been having so much weirdness with a family in my daycare. I care for all three of her kids, although two of them are in school part time. The 2 year old has been potty trained for awhile but having accidents at my house. I think that she does not like my bathroom because it's a basement bathroom and it's fresh painted and clean but our house is old and all the pipes are right inside the walls of that bathroom and it's pretty loud when you flush or even run the water sometimes. So I've been hanging tapestries in there and trying to make it "warmer" so she won't be afraid. ANYWAY, her mom dropped her off last week and asked me to put her in a timeout every time she had an accident. I told her that I could not do that, it's against the law for me to punish for potty accidents (phew) but that I'd take her every 20 minutes and stay with her and I shared my theory on why she might be having them. THEN same family the kids are always telling other kids they are naughty and I don't make a big deal out of it but I just casually say that no one is naughty at Miss Bridget's house that everyone makes mistakes. So mom makes a sarcastic comment to me about how "real nice" her kids are always telling her now that no one is naughty. I didn't appreciate her acting like i'm some holier that thou person for saying that. My house, my rules and we don't call eachother naughty or anything else for that matter.
    And to top it off she is funded by the state and since i'm home daycare they give less money towards her tuition where when she was in a center they covered 100%. So every single time I give her a bill she acts shocked, and suspicious as to why it costs what it costs. Then when I try to explain and write it out for her she barely listens to me or looks at what I've written out for her.
    I'm probably to sensitive to all of this but it bugs me and I've been thinking about it all weekend.
    Last edited by Bridget; 05-01-2011 at 04:20 PM.

Aw Bridget. I agree with your stances...and is it really against the law for you to punish for accidents?
    2 is pretty young to be potty trained. Josh is still having accidents.
    Speaking of that, I think he sleepwalks. Last night I heard him thumping around upstairs and I went up and he was standing in our bedroom. He peed on the floor (with his pajama pants still up). I tried to talk to him to guide him into new clothes, etc. and he didn't respond very well to what I was saying and he didn't even look awake even though his eyes were open. It was kind of creepy.
    I was pretty sure my dad still had the album-he has an insane amount of albums. But I hadn't thought of it in a while and it was a nice surprise.

Too bad for her Bridget. Tell her to suck it Or not...but she just has to deal.

Kate, I remember sleepwalking when I was little. Well, not exactly remember actually doing it, but I remember my parents talking about it. My mom even took me to a dr that tried to put me on some medication, but whatever it was my mom didn't like. I think it was an anti-psychotic? Or so she said, but she was a little messed up herself at that time so I'm not sure if it was or not. Anyway, I eventually outgrew it.

DH used to sleepwalk too, and he also outgrew it.

It's probably genetic then. I don't remember anything traumatizing about it...so the good news is it'll probably freak you out more than it does Josh.

Haha, yeah. I asked him about it in the morning and he didn't remember, which led me to think it was sleepwalking.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I got no video game practice in this weekend. What has been happening is that I'll hang out on the computer doing work or browsing and he'll play the game and it's actually been okay. He's offered to let me play and/or watch him play, and I've said no thanks to playing and maybe to watching, but it hasn't worked out yet and there hasn't been any tension. He called me over to watch a particularly tricky bit he did and I admired it. No tension, thank goodness. That was really awful those first few nights.

We've played Civilization recently against each other and enjoyed it. Back in the day, we played Tomb Raider together. But that was like 12 years ago, and he's put in tens of thousands of hours of gaming since then and I have put in zero.

Anyway, I'm just glad things seem to be normal now. I'm always worried, maybe more than I ought to be, about scenarios where I seem to be a little slow on the uptake, just because of my history of meningitis. It's a distinct possibility that I could be having some level of brain damage with every episode, and about six years ago I had a full day of cognitive testing done, just for baseline readings. Since that time, I haven't had many episodes until two times in the past 3 months. You know how when you walk into a room to get something and you forget what you were going to get? It happens to everyone, right? Well, in my case, I always wonder if it's normal forgetfulness or if it's a sign of something more serious. The videogame thing happened the same day I accidentally hit the wrong button on the intercom at work and made an overhead announcement of something I didn't mean to, so there were two things that I was feeling stupid about.

Bridget, I would have a hard time with parents making sarcastic comments about the 'no one's naughty' rules. I wrote more, but I realized I probably wouldn't actually say that in real life, so I deleted it. Plus it wasn't very nice. I don't blame you for thinking about it, though.

Kate, that was really thoughtful of your dad. And it does sound like Josh was sleepwalking, from what I know about it.

So I just saw that Bin Laden is dead. I don't know. It seems so utterly meaningless. It doesn't really matter -things are fubar in the Middle East and it seems like his death will simply be another reason for people to crow about "America!" and pat each other on the back and then everything will be the same tomorrow as it was today, just fubar.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

And Lydia, I am sorry about the video game thing. I hate those kind of "test" situations. Especially when it is not just about your passing/failing with you dh, but also the scary meningitis damage. Ugh. I'm sorry.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Quote Originally Posted by katycat24 View Post
    So I just saw that Bin Laden is dead. I don't know. It seems so utterly meaningless. It doesn't really matter -things are fubar in the Middle East and it seems like his death will simply be another reason for people to crow about "America!" and pat each other on the back and then everything will be the same tomorrow as it was today, just fubar.
    Mmmhmm. I have to admit that the celebratory attitude makes me uneasy.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    It reminds me of how they celebrate over there in the Middle East burning flags and stuff when something bad happens to the US....gives me the creeps big time!

Yeah, I think bin Laden being dead isn't a big deal either.
    Lydia
    If it makes you feel any better, I don't know what's wrong with me but I cannot grasp certain concepts like war and politics and I hate movies about secret agents. It might as well be in another language. My husband likes these movies so I have tried to watch countless ones with him, and I just don't get it.

I regret saying "not a big deal"-what I really meant was I'll be interested to see if this changes anything.
    Last edited by daylilies; 05-02-2011 at 05:48 AM.

Lydia, I'm sorry you have to worry about that. Although, what you describe sounds like typcial busy mom behavior to me. I have been that way for years.
    I was just on facebook when I noticed a girl I went to highschool with posted some pics that looked theater-ish. We weren't friends but I remember her being extremely shy so it caught my interest that she might be a theater actress and I clicked on the pics. Before I knew it I'm, like, looking through all her albums and seeing her and her fiance on vacation, out to dinner....Gah! Facebook is so WEIRD!
    Do you ever find yourself exhibiting stalkerish behavior?? Or....is it just me?
    Last edited by Bridget; 05-02-2011 at 06:04 AM.

Lydia, I understand why those things would make you worry more. I think most of us have experienced periods of extreme forgetfulness and wondered to ourselves if we were crazy, and you have a real issue that could have serious side effects. I don't wonder that you worry about it so much. Can you have another cognitive testing sessions, to see if there's really been any damage done? Or would going through that make you worry more? I'm sure it's just being a busy mom, but maybe having testing done will put your mind at ease.

I'm happy about the Osama bit. It does make me proud to be an American--we haven't done anything like this since the WWII days (imo). It's my first time witnessing something great. Before now, military successes were all stories in history books to me. I don't worry at all about our future. Everything we do militarily comes with risk, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have gone after him. What he did, not only to us but other nations in the world, was atrocious. He got what he deserved.

I agree with you, Chrissy. I'm very proud of the military but I feel like there will be lots of angry extremists now and it makes me feel a little uneasy since Britain has seemed to produce a lot of home grown Muslim terrorists. When will this war on terror ever end?

I agree Bridget. Facebook is stalker-ish. I like to go through and find guys I had a crush on in middle school and high school and look at their pics (if it'll let me without adding them as a friend). Is that weird?
    I was reading a post from a church friend and I was looking at the people who replied to it. I recognized one of the names so I went to her page to see if she had any pics because I couldn't picture who she was. I found out she's a nkotb fan so I sent her a friend request She's one of Josh's church school teachers, so I didn't feel completely weird sending a friend request.

I agree with you, Chrissy. I'm very proud of the military but I feel like there will be lots of angry extremists now and it makes me feel a little uneasy since Britain has seemed to produce a lot of home grown Muslim terrorists. When will this war on terror ever end?
    Some are saying that none have the power, money, connections, or charisma that Osama had and don't pose the threat he did. I'm sure people aren't going to be happy, but it sounds like we'll have to keep our military over there to continue the crusade of disbanded and disrupting the terrorists for quite some time.

I don't think FB is stalker-ish unless you're hacking into a private account. If they don't want people seeing their pictures, they'll keep them private. To me, a stalker goes where he/she isn't welcome.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I wouldn't call it stalkerish as much as snoopy. I would fully admit that I am snoopy if given the opportunity, within moral constraints. Like, I don't open medicine cabinets but I don't avert my eyes from the label if I see a pill container out at someone's house. And I'm really good at reading upside-down, to the point where it's no effort. I can glance at a desk and words will leap out at me without me trying, even if the papers are turned the other direction.

I watch people type-especially those that refuse to give me their passwords at work. I have an over 75% success rate at figuring out their pw and I enter it in our database. I do so much at work where the user isn't needed and it's very inconvenient for me to have them there just to enter their password. Besides, I can track everything they do on our network-heck, I can even change their pw if I want to and set it so they cannot. It's a stupid little power struggle some of our faculty try to have, so I feel rather smug when I can 'read' their password as they type it in

I don't think that FB is stalkerish either. I do the same thing. Course I'm nosey like that. Now I have a couple on mine that was part of the adoption group...there are six couples that we went through the process with. The other couples are fine....but this one is uber religious and conservative. I was looking at their pages and the husband did a seven day fast for religious reasons, she writes about being an unclean sinner but it's ok because jesus washes away her sins. Blech.

I'm not really all that busy and I have those moments. Most often it's me telling DH the same thing multiple times. Well I sometimes think about telling him something or discussing something....and than I cannot recall if I just thought about telling him or if I really did. I tend to make a lot of lists or notes to remind me to do certain things (like at work) or things that I need to get done at home.

I'm another that is happy about bin Laden. I'm very anti-war and very anti-death penalty. But he is an exception.
    I do wish that I could have seen the last 15 minutes of Celebrity Apprentice though! LOL I cannot stand Trump but the show is funny. It would have been one thing if the President had come out and started speaking but he didn't for another 45 minutes.
    I am glad that it was good news though. At 9:27 when they first started saying that the President was going to be making a statement shortly, I got pretty nervous....I mean an unscheduled announcement at 9:30 Sunday night? I thought it was something like the VP had a heart attack, we were going to war with yet another country, or there was going to be an attack on the US.......or even that we found aliens or a metor was going to hit us (and not I was not drinking....but DH and I have been watching too many shows like The Event and Stargate LOL).

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I was also happy about Osama bin Laden. It has been a long time coming and I guess because I know so many people who were affected by 9/11 it makes me feel good that those who lost people will finally have some closure.

I would hope it would mean we could bring the majority of our troops out of the middle east, but I have a feeling that is not going to be the outcome. I also am not worried about more terrorist. I wasn't worried about terrorism though too much before or after 9/11 but I am just not a worrier about things so big and so generalized.

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    I wouldn't call it stalkerish as much as snoopy. I would fully admit that I am snoopy if given the opportunity, within moral constraints. Like, I don't open medicine cabinets but I don't avert my eyes from the label if I see a pill container out at someone's house. And I'm really good at reading upside-down, to the point where it's no effort. I can glance at a desk and words will leap out at me without me trying, even if the papers are turned the other direction.
    I do all of those things as well Lydia. I can also read back words, like if a page is turned over and it is kind of see through, I can read what is written. DH thinks it is because I want to have super duper nosey powers LOL. But really I was just fascinated with learning to read backwards and forwards and upside down and right side up as a kid because I thought it would be interesting to do. But all of those skills do come in handy and I do find myself reading papers, especially at work when people don't think I am reading them.

I also look at medicine that is on the table at people's houses and I do go through FB pictures sometimes. I actually will friend someone who request me and look through all their pics to see what they are about. If they have strange pics (like one of my old high school classmates had about 15 pics of his kids giving the camera the finger and himself smoking blunts of marijuana) then I will automatically defriend them.

Erin

I like looking through people's pictures on facebook; I figure they wouldn't put them online if they didn't want me to see them. I like sharing my photos and am happy when people comment on them. I am having a big facebook clean-up after our trip to the USA and a lot of the nosy/religious family members are going to be cut.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    I like looking through people's pictures on facebook; I figure they wouldn't put them online if they didn't want me to see them. I like sharing my photos and am happy when people comment on them.
    That's how I feel too.

Sorry to come from nowhere and b*tch but I have to say:

So irritated with the conservative anti-Obama whackjobs suddenly acting like celebrating someone's death is totally barbaric. Are you even freakin' serious? Unbelievable hypocrisy.

Oh, and I actually am a pacifist. I've been flamed on this very site for saying that children should not "beat up" bullies, I've been flamed on this very site for saying that people who protest using grotesque homophobic slurs should not be "beaten to a bloody pulp." I abhor violence. But I can't help but when I see all these holier-than-thou facebook status updates that condemn the people at ground zero celebrating the demise of the person/thing that masterminded the killing of all those innocent lives.
    Last edited by AbbeysMom; 05-02-2011 at 01:56 PM.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

Quote Originally Posted by AbbeysMom View Post
    Sorry to come from nowhere and b*tch but I have to say:

So irritated with the conservative anti-Obama whackjobs suddenly acting like celebrating someone's death is totally barbaric. Are you even freakin' serious? Unbelievable hypocrisy.

Oh, and I actually am a pacifist. I've been flamed on this very site for saying that children should not "beat up" bullies, I've been flamed on this very site for saying that people who protest using grotesque homophobic slurs should not be "beaten to a bloody pulp." I abhor violence. But I can't help but when I see all these holier-than-thou facebook status updates that condemn the people at ground zero celebrating the demise of the person/thing that masterminded the killing of all those innocent lives.
    I totally agree with you, so much so that I typed out ita.

To be fair, not all of them are holier than thou. I know our sweet Bridget isn't totally into the celebratory thing, but she's genuine about it and totally non-hypocritical. But I kwym because there are far too many that are being hypocrites.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    And I agree with both of you too.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010