Page 642 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 1425425926326406416426436446526927421142 ... LastLast
Results 19,231 to 19,260 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

  1. #19231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Did you later tell him why the egg was so special to her? I think he should feel like a heel.
    I didn't get a chance to since he went to bed so early. But I will.

  2. #19232
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    In the past Rich has said things that I told him made it all worse and that if he couldn't be helpful he needed to keep his mouth shut.

    When the girls were really little, he used to pull that "I'll give you something to cry about" crap. omg would that ever light me on fire! DUH! They do have something to cry about, that's why they're crying!! He hasn't said that in years and years, but I still get mad just thinking about it.

    I never handled it tactfully...it would turn into an argument because I'd freak out on him.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  3. #19233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    In the past Rich has said things that I told him made it all worse and that if he couldn't be helpful he needed to keep his mouth shut.

    When the girls were really little, he used to pull that "I'll give you something to cry about" crap. omg would that ever light me on fire! DUH! They do have something to cry about, that's why they're crying!! He hasn't said that in years and years, but I still get mad just thinking about it.

    I never handled it tactfully...it would turn into an argument because I'd freak out on him.
    Oh hells no!!! I have been tring so hard not to freak out on him. It is not easy.

  4. #19234
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    I'm sure it's not, but you're doing things the right way. He'll feel bad when you talk to him...hopefully it will start sinking in. Change is slow but it does sound like he's made efforts.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  5. #19235

    Default

    DH says that too, "I'll give you something to cry about" and not only is it an empty threat because he never hits Josh, but it's just so hurtful. It's not just with Josh that he does that though. He thinks anyone being openly emotional is faking it or too sensitive and he just brushes it off. I'm sure it comes from how he was raised.

  6. #19236

    Default

    I am sorry. Poor Savana - to feel so sad to lose something and then to be judged as bad for feeling sad. Ugh. That breaks my heart. I hope she never feels like her feelings are not valid.

    "Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov


  7. #19237
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    DH says that too, "I'll give you something to cry about" and not only is it an empty threat because he never hits Josh, but it's just so hurtful. It's not just with Josh that he does that though. He thinks anyone being openly emotional is faking it or too sensitive and he just brushes it off. I'm sure it comes from how he was raised.
    I'm sure that's where Rich got it from too...how he was raised.

    I don't know how in this day and age people fail to realize how detrimental repressed emotions are. If I give my kids nothing else, I hope they are always free to feel what they feel.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  8. #19238
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,470

    Default

    TBH, I guess that I am in the rude category. I just don't think that it would occur to me to help a person with kids at the airport. In my experience, the few times I tried to offer help, it was not well received. So now I mostly just only offer to help if I am at work as that is part of my job and people don't look at you strange if you are asking them if they need any help and you have an employee name tag on. Otherwise I just mind my own business when not at work.
    Plus for a couple of years I have basically tried to mostly avoid babies and little kids as best as I could....and when I couldn't avoid, I would try to ignore. Only been the past two months or so when I can look at babies and smile at them or their parents (except at work where I would fake it because well it was work).

    I'm sorry for those of you having sister issues. I'm so lucky there in that mine is my best friend other than DH. Thank god they get along really well because she has even come on vacation with us a couple of times. When we do have our baby, she is going to be the godmother as well being named legal guardian for our baby, our dog or dogs at the time and any money will go to her for the baby....we will definitely do a will for that. She is so excited for us to have a baby....and even said she would have one for us if we wanted. Even growing up we didn't fight all that much...just minor stuff like when I was 16 and really cool and she was 11 and really not cool (or so I thought LOL). I would do anything for her.
    In a way I'm a bit sad because DH doesn't have that and I am pretty sure that our child will be an only child. I do not see us going through adopting twice due to the money.....and of course nothing says siblings will get along or even like each other. Only way we will have two kids will be if we somehow got pg after the adoption but I'm not going to hold my breath on that one.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  9. #19239
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    In a van, DOWN BY THE RIVER!
    Posts
    8,420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    TBH, I guess that I am in the rude category. I just don't think that it would occur to me to help a person with kids at the airport.
    I think it's understandable knowing your background, but if you saw a person obviously struggling, you wouldn't feel an urge to help them?

    There are too many people who pretend to just not notice other people when they're in need and that just makes me sad. When I first started working at my current workplace, one of the things you have to do when working at the office is to spend a day in a store with the colleagues and help bag groceries, shadow a shelf stocker, that sort of thing. There was a woman that bought a cart full of groceries and then was struggling to carry 2 big boxes of diapers out to her car, so I asked her if she wanted me to help her carry them out. She was so appreciative. Everyone else just stood there. I hate that.

  10. #19240
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    I think it's understandable knowing your background, but if you saw a person obviously struggling, you wouldn't feel an urge to help them? There are too many people who pretend to just not notice other people when they're in need and that just makes me sad. When I first started working at my current workplace, one of the things you have to do when working at the office is to spend a day in a store with the colleagues and help bag groceries, shadow a shelf stocker, that sort of thing. There was a woman that bought a cart full of groceries and then was struggling to carry 2 big boxes of diapers out to her car, so I asked her if she wanted me to help her carry them out. She was so appreciative. Everyone else just stood there. I hate that.
    Honestly it just depends. I have flown once in the past 13 years and I was busy talking with DH and reading and didn't really see anyone with kids or struggling.
    If it was something like maybe opening a door, yeah that I tend to do. Something more involved, probably not. I wouldn't want some stranger helping me with a child involved and so there is a good chance that I wouldn't even think to offer. And people tend to get very snippity when you insinuate that they are not handling their kid or dealing with it well. So that I probably would just ignore under most circumstances unless the parent seemed super friendly. And to top things off, I am on the more shy side in person so I don't generally go up and strike conversations with strangers. And for a number of years, I will cop to being jealous and bitter....I figured your kid, your problem....and wished that I was in their shoes instead.

    At work though, totally different story. I'm all about customer service. I force myself to smile, say hi, say can I help you find anything if they look lost (we just opened a new building so things are VERY different).

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  11. #19241
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,470

    Default

    Oh and Kate, DH and I are watching Game of Thrones and liking it quite a bit. Though I think that he wishes that I would have waited a few more weeks to start it because now he has to wait a week for the next one like everyone else.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  12. #19242
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    If it was something like maybe opening a door, yeah that I tend to do. Something more involved, probably not. I wouldn't want some stranger helping me with a child involved and so there is a good chance that I wouldn't even think to offer. And people tend to get very snippity when you insinuate that they are not handling their kid or dealing with it well. So that I probably would just ignore under most circumstances unless the parent seemed super friendly. And to top things off, I am on the more shy side in person so I don't generally go up and strike conversations with strangers. And for a number of years, I will cop to being jealous and bitter....I figured your kid, your problem....and wished that I was in their shoes instead.
    Awww One day, it will you be with your kid. I hope very, very soon.

    As for some parents getting snippy-that's true. Some do. Even being a mom, I had a woman lash out at me because I left the line I was in to open and hold the door she was struggling to get a stroller through. I just said, "Sorry" and got back in line. I figured she had more issues than just fitting a wide stroller through a manual door.

    When Conner was freaking out on the plane, one older lady came up to us and offered to hold him. She stood rocking him back and forth for the longest time. I had tried, but he just kicked and shoved at me and carried on even louder. Anyway, when she had him all soothed and returned to me, she said she had a little boy once but lost him to cancer. She said, "Enjoy him as much as you can, even in the difficult moments." I sat there fighting back tears after...not because of the stress or my failure to comfort my own son, but because I at least had my son to give me fits. I try to remember that when he's really testing my limits.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  13. #19243

    Default

    God, Chrissy. That is a beautiful story. I'm wiping a tear.
    I would not expect someone to help me with the kids so much as the rest of my load. It was never that my kids weren't behaving. One time I asked the flight attendant on duty how I could get to the shuttle with Kai in the ergo, Savana asleep in the stroller, a diaper bag, my nursing pillow, and Savana's little carry on and she pointed to the steps. I asked if there was an elevator and she said they close it down after a certain time of night. There were several people standing around some that actually worked there and they were just looking at me! I started to turn Savana's stroller to pull it backward down the steps, then stopped and decided to run everything else down first while leaving her up. When I sprinted down and dropped everything and sprinted back up, one of the luggage loader guys saw me from outside and came rushing in to help me get Savana and the stroller down the steps. The rest of those people could seriously kiss my arse. What if I had been in a wheelchair? Would there still have been no elevator?
    Thank goodness that life balances out generally because there have been countless times that strangers have helped me at different times in my life.

  14. #19244
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    That would have aggravated me. I'm sure it's against the law for them to not have handicap accessibility. It's just a matter of time before someone with a wheelchair will come at the 'wrong' time.

    I'm always offering to help people-like getting things from high shelves in the store, or the really heavy, 50 lb bags of dog food. If they look like they're having a hard time, I'll say, "Can I help you with that?" I just think it's common courtesy, and it has never made me late for anything, ever!

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  15. #19245
    3andMe's Avatar
    3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    21,426

    Default

    And this is why I never traveled alone with the twins. Dh kept asking me to meet him places when he traveled for work, and when I talked to airlines and they told me they couldn't do a thing to help me and that if I needed to change one baby and the other one was sleeping, I'd have to take both to the tiny airplane bathroom with me (no changing in the seats), I said forget it. And I soon found out when traveling with dh that a lot of planes don't even have changing tables. Can you imagine trying to balance yourself and two babies in a tiny bathroom, while changing a poopy diaper? Very difficult.
    Last edited by 3andMe; 04-26-2011 at 11:34 AM.


  16. #19246

    Default

    I changed mine right in the seat.
    For SHAME!!
    But me trying to use the bathroom was a trip, let me tell you.

  17. #19247

    Default

    Oh, what a touching story, chrissy. *teary-eyed*

    bridget, my DH totally misinterprets the terms and phrases I use and tries to throw them back at me too. It is so **** frustrating, I know! Your poor little Savana. She has such a delicate heart. It's so sad that Mark considered her crying a "poor choice". You don't choose your emotions, you choose how to react to them. And she reacted so beautifully. I think Mark is like a lot of guys out there, actually, who are very uncomfortable with showing emotion because they think it makes them weak.

    My ex is a sort of dating "expert". It's how he makes his living anyway (and that includes using episodes from our relationship as chapters in his books where I'm the cautionary tale). As much as I disagree with his interpretation of our relationship, he still makes some great points (and I am grateful at least he doesn't mention me by name). One of his essays has to do with the tradeoff between masculine traits and feminine sensitivity in a guy - how it's very rare to find them both in a man. From what I've observed that's unfortunately pretty true. The more "strong and take-charge" a guy is - two arguably desirable traits, the less nuanced he is when it comes to emotions. Anyway, I guess the takeaway is that it's apparently unrealistic to expect both in your male mate. Is your man a bit of an "alpha" type, bridget?

    I can only imagine men make a tradeoff along similar lines with women. I know I lean towards more logical thinking, and DH doesn't get a lot of feminine vulnerability from me as a consequence. Sometimes I think he wishes I were more of a sensitive, nostalgic chick.
    Last edited by demigraf; 04-26-2011 at 11:55 AM.

  18. #19248
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    God, Chrissy. That is a beautiful story. I'm wiping a tear.
    I would not expect someone to help me with the kids so much as the rest of my load. It was never that my kids weren't behaving. One time I asked the flight attendant on duty how I could get to the shuttle with Kai in the ergo, Savana asleep in the stroller, a diaper bag, my nursing pillow, and Savana's little carry on and she pointed to the steps. I asked if there was an elevator and she said they close it down after a certain time of night. There were several people standing around some that actually worked there and they were just looking at me! I started to turn Savana's stroller to pull it backward down the steps, then stopped and decided to run everything else down first while leaving her up. When I sprinted down and dropped everything and sprinted back up, one of the luggage loader guys saw me from outside and came rushing in to help me get Savana and the stroller down the steps. The rest of those people could seriously kiss my arse. What if I had been in a wheelchair? Would there still have been no elevator?
    Thank goodness that life balances out generally because there have been countless times that strangers have helped me at different times in my life.
    Now THAT I would have helped with. that is asinine to have no elevator.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  19. Default

    I confess we got a diagnosis as to my aunts myserious illness today. ( a week after she passed).

    It was Guillain-Barre Syndrom, and the kicker -- totally treatable if caught in time.

    It has the same symptoms as her MS, so they had no clue.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillai...C3%A9_syndrome

  20. #19250

    Default

    Ash, I'm so sorry! Did they find this out during an autopsy?

  21. Default

    they did a postmortem spinal fluid analysis

  22. #19252
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    In a van, DOWN BY THE RIVER!
    Posts
    8,420

    Default

    Oh, gosh, Ashley, I'm so sorry to hear that. That's just seems so cruel. How are you and the rest of your family doing?

  23. #19253

    Default

    Oh Ash! How devastating! I'm so sorry.

    Myles, what you say makes a lot of sense. Dbf couldn't be more alpha. And it is his manly manliness that attracted me to him in the first place. Added to the fact that he overcompensates for being very insecure. I think he wishes I was a starry eyed sensitive chick as well.

    I cannot believe your ex references you in the book! That would make me crazy!

  24. #19254
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    My ex is a sort of dating "expert". It's how he makes his living anyway (and that includes using episodes from our relationship as chapters in his books where I'm the cautionary tale). As much as I disagree with his interpretation of our relationship, he still makes some great points (and I am grateful at least he doesn't mention me by name). One of his essays has to do with the tradeoff between masculine traits and feminine sensitivity in a guy - how it's very rare to find them both in a man. From what I've observed that's unfortunately pretty true. The more "strong and take-charge" a guy is - two arguably desirable traits, the less nuanced he is when it comes to emotions. Anyway, I guess the takeaway is that it's apparently unrealistic to expect both in your male mate. Is your man a bit of an "alpha" type, bridget?
    .
    I would agree with that (though how interesting that an ex uses you as examples ). But yeah I would generally put my DH into the more sensitive group, which is really great. We talk about feelings a lot and he will let me know if his are hurt and says I love you all the time and will even cry when there is a good enough reason (doesn't cry as easily as say me). he is so sweet and cute....he was emotionally spent after watching a girly movie like Time Traveler's Wife (though he likes more guy movies too!) but is he NOT what I would call strong or take charge at all. I called him first, I asked to be bf/gf first, I started the first kiss, I push for things that involve change or spending money. I would say that I am probably the boss of the relationship and the stronger of the two (not physically of course). he is the boss of the money...but really because I let him.
    I wouldn't mind some more take charge in him....BUT I love the sensitive side and wouldn't want to give that up.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  25. #19255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The10Eels View Post
    they did a postmortem spinal fluid analysis
    Just wow. What is wrong with our health care system today that they didn't do this before she passed away?

  26. #19256

    Default

    And now for the clumsy transition to a completely separate (and entirely goofy) topic, I've been meaning to share this with all the BSG fans we have in the room for awhile now:



    We have house Cylon!! He lives on top of our chimney and swivels around in the wind, making this totally cool sci-fi sound effect.

    In fact, practically every house in my town has a Cylon on the roof. I finally got around to snapping a photo and posting it online. I'm gonna love him, and pet him and call him Eli.



    And while we're on the subject, I might as well share that DH and I have a little song we've sung ever since Season 1 of BSG. It goes like this:

    (*** sung in a robot voice and with clapping ***)

    I am a Cylon
    I like to party
    Oooh-oooh

    I am a Cylon
    I rock my body
    Ooooh-oooh


    I made it up, but DH gets all funky to it when he dances along.

    On the spectrum of "Sensitive & emotionally intelligent" ----> to ----> "strong and take charge", I wonder where "dances enthusiastically to wife's songs about humanoids" falls? LOL.

  27. #19257

    Default


    Ash,
    How is your mom?

  28. #19258
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    In a van, DOWN BY THE RIVER!
    Posts
    8,420

    Default

    Myles, you crack me up, woman! I kind of cheated on the BSG thing and read all the episode synopsi on the SyFy website because I was impatient to know what happened....but I'm still watching the real show, of course.

  29. #19259
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,470

    Default

    Oh Ash, how awful. I'm so sorry that they didn't realize it was guillian-barre in time. I know that it's very rare with only 1-2 in 100,000 so many docs might not ever see it in practice....but I am kind of surprised that they never did a spinal tap.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  30. #19260
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    My ex is a sort of dating "expert". It's how he makes his living anyway (and that includes using episodes from our relationship as chapters in his books where I'm the cautionary tale).
    I don't know whether to laugh at this or be annoyed at him. I suppose I'm a little of both, and now very curious about his take of you.

    Quote Originally Posted by The10Eels View Post
    I confess we got a diagnosis as to my aunts myserious illness today. ( a week after she passed).

    It was Guillain-Barre Syndrom, and the kicker -- totally treatable if caught in time.

    It has the same symptoms as her MS, so they had no clue.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillai...C3%A9_syndrome
    Oh Ash, no!

    Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Just wow. What is wrong with our health care system today that they didn't do this before she passed away?
    And this. It makes me so angry.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •