Page 638 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 1385385886286366376386396406486887381138 ... LastLast
Results 19,111 to 19,140 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

Someone just dropped a house on my sister!

Katy, you're so cute!!

I'm sorry Mandy. It seems insensitive of her to do that.

Yeesh, I thought you were going to say you weren't going and she was upset. But you are going and she's upset. Can you win?

By the way Mandy, if you have to apologize for ranting, then so do I...and I don't want to do all that apologizing...so don't apologize.

3andMe is online now Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Mandy, did you see how I said I celebrated religious holidays in the other thread? Like everyone else, with family tension and drinking? You've already got one half of the equation.

Just sayin'

And yes, how insensitive!

Katy, you are so adorable! And I hate to tell you this, but I'm going to expect you to be funnier now. I hope all of this publicity does great things for your bottom line.

Haha, my family doesn't drink a lot (except one aunt who has a couple glasses of wine and gets a little emotional) but we do have some tension. DH is envious though because none of us outright hate each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    Katy, you are so adorable! And I hate to tell you this, but I'm going to expect you to be funnier now. I hope all of this publicity does great things for your bottom line.
    Thanks, Lydia! I hope so, too. The MSN thing brought in a $300 commission yesterday, so whatever happens is fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    Katy, you're so cute!!
    Aw shucks, Cass! thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I didn't know you were a stand up comedienne!
    I just can't even wrap my head around how you do those eggs...how you keep track of what's going to come out what color and all that. If you mess something up, is it easy to make it look like it's not a mistake, or do you have to start over?
    It's really practice. Mistakes happen and every once in a while I have to just toss the egg. Most of the time, though, I can incorporate a mistake into the design. And sometimes I just let a mistake stand - the eggs are so detailed that a lot of times I am the only one who notices!

I did stand up in the late '90's to early 00's. I did pretty well and got noticed by industry, moved to LA and hated it so much I just quit and moved home. I'm still quietly funny (usually sitting down these days) at home.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

That is so cool. Any youtube videos of your stand up out there? LOL

Im sorry your mom is being a pill, Mandy.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

That is so cool. Any youtube videos of your stand up out there? LOL
    No, and if there were I would not tell you! It was before YouTube and the Internet were so ubiquitous.

3andMe is online now Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by katycat24 View Post
    I'm still quietly funny (usually sitting down these days) at home.

Okay, you upped your funny ante.

You people move too fast for me. 3 pages?! I can't keep up.

I saw the video Katy, you and your eggs looked/sounded awesome.

Sorry about DH being lame, Myles. And sorry if my empathy comes too late... as you saw from my text the ILs are in town, which takes up all my time.

Mandy, are you going to her house for Easter then? I'd be worried she already invited other people or something from that strange response she gave you.

Happy Bunny Day friends! We'll be dying eggs tomorrow and I'm excited. Anything interesting I can try? Marbling? Vegetable dyes?

ETA: I remembered l have a have a question for everyone in here. What do you think about intuition? Believe in it? think it's superstitious? Let me know.
    Last edited by AbbeysMom; 04-22-2011 at 09:02 PM.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

Mandy, did you see how I said I celebrated religious holidays in the other thread? Like everyone else, with family tension and drinking? You've already got one half of the equation.

Just sayin'
    LOL! I suppose one of these days I'm going to have to learn to drink!

You guys are right, I can't win.

Katy, I loved your interview, and your eggs. Yay for the $300 commision! And you know, there's plenty of pre-you-tube era video on you-tube. There might be some of you out there!

Bridget, here's another article for your reading list. Actually, two articles:
    http://www.specialed.us/autism/verbal/verbal11.html
    http://www.specialed.us/autism/nonverbal/non11.htm

Look at them both - I think this child is verbal, but the paper on nonverbal kids has great information, too, and some of the nonverbal communication aspects are also relevant for verbal kids. Those papers, plus the article I linked first, I think should be required reading for anyone who interacts with children with autism.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by AbbeysMom View Post
    ETA: I remembered l have a have a question for everyone in here. What do you think about intuition? Believe in it? think it's superstitious? Let me know.
    Personally, I believe that intuition comes from the ability to recognize patterns in events (made possible by enough knowledge to have internalized the pattern). I definitely believe intuition is real and valid, and I don't think a supernatural belief is necessary to explain it.

I told DH now that I don't want to go but so far I'm uncomfortable cancelling. I'll keep you posted ... I'm not sure what I'll do at this point but I don't want to spend an uncomfortable afternoon right now.

My marbled eggs turned out really nice. I would recommend to try several different cups with different colors instead of several colors mixed in one cup, though.

I think a lot of what people call intuition is based on emotion, especially fear. I think some intuition can be based on actual subconscious signals that might add up to create a very plausible feeling on which to base action. It's hard to tell which is which.

For example, they've done studies that show that expert nurses are far more reliable at determining which babies in the NICU are going to develop a GI complication and deteriorate than any lab test or any other measurement. The nurses can't tell you why they think the babies are going to go downhill--they just say "they don't look right," but with any description other than this vague term, not color, not activity level, not anything else, there is no commonality. The nurses are the best predictors. The same has been demonstrated with experts in other fields, like firefighters, or pilots. They can't articulate what it is, the tens or thousands of little cues that give them a danger signal or tell them to evacuate or take whatever evasive maneuver or call for help right then, they just know that something's wrong. Some people might call that intuition, but it's a mixture of skill and experience but at a level that is not conscious.

On the other hand, I have patients come in for procedures all the time that are terribly nervous and just know that something is wrong or that something bad is going to happen, and everything ends up fine and they walk out completely happy and healthy. It's just nerves, and because they're having a test and undergoing something unknown, they start thinking about the worst-case scenario.

That's just two examples. So I sort of believe in it, but I don't think it's intuition.

Bridget, I don't know if you'll know anything about this but it kind of sounds like the kind of thing Savana would say--not sure if you'd know anything about this either, Mandy--
    Josh tells me he has voices in his head that tell him to do something (usually something naughty, or something I've already said he can't do, like if he's not allowed to play on the computer that day). He says he tells the voices in his head to stop, but they won't. Sometimes I'll see him knocking on his head with his fist and he'll say he's trying to get the voices to stop.
    Do you think it's just him dealing with wanting to rebel or should I be worried? Because I am...
    I think it's hard not to worry, but even with 'crazy' being in my genes I wouldn't necessarily worry overmuch about it at this age. It's likely he's just struggling between 'that little voice' in his head that we all have and obeying the rules. Even as adults, sometimes we have internal arguments with ourselves.

That said, it's not outside the realm of possibility that he's really hearing something, so it's good you're taking notice of it. Being observant and looking for other cues are all you need to do at this point. At least, that's how I'd handle it and I have a family history of mental illness.

Quote Originally Posted by katycat24 View Post
    Okay, guys! Here's the interview. It was nerve-wracking, but I think it turned out okay. I don't think I look like to much of an idiot.
    That was so cool! Rich watched with me. We're both very impressed with your eggs!

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Why is it she thinks she can wait until the last minute for everything and then get an immediate response, especially knowing that I'm dealing with Kevin just coming home from combat and not wanting to be in unusual/uncomfortable situations? Is that really that much to ask? If she wanted to invite my aunt, why didn't she just invite my aunt? I am so pissed off by that.
    I honestly don't think people fully understand how difficult it is to return from combat. They say they do, and they probably want to, but they don't. She had no right to get bent at you.

By the way Mandy, if you have to apologize for ranting, then so do I...and I don't want to do all that apologizing...so don't apologize.
    Puh-leeze. I'm the biggest whiner in this room!!

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Some people might call that intuition, but it's a mixture of skill and experience but at a level that is not conscious.
    My professor said almost exactly that once when someone asked about the role of intuition in clinical work. He said that intuition is deep knowledge and experience.

Quote Originally Posted by AbbeysMom View Post
    I remembered l have a have a question for everyone in here. What do you think about intuition? Believe in it? think it's superstitious? Let me know.
    I believe in it...it's one of those totally unexplainable things that makes no sense to me. I wish I could remember specific examples from my own experience, but I'm so tired right now that I'm drawing a blank.

But I do know I've experienced a 'feeling' about something that later panned out in a way that made me think I had an intuition something was going to go wrong. It had nothing to do with experience or daily routine stuff. Usually, it was doing something non-typical for me...so one could say it was a case of nerves, but I've done lots of things that were non-familiar and didn't have an intuitive premonition like sensation...so who the heck knows?

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I think it's hard not to worry, but even with 'crazy' being in my genes I wouldn't necessarily worry overmuch about it at this age. It's likely he's just struggling between 'that little voice' in his head that we all have and obeying the rules. Even as adults, sometimes we have internal arguments with ourselves.

That said, it's not outside the realm of possibility that he's really hearing something, so it's good you're taking notice of it. Being observant and looking for other cues are all you need to do at this point. At least, that's how I'd handle it and I have a family history of mental illness.

Puh-leeze. I'm the biggest whiner in this room!!
    Thanks. Do I have to go through his pedi? I'm afraid they'll think it's just normal.
    Oh right, I think I whine a lot. Not just here but all over the board. Don't tell me you don't want me to STFU about the cruise and all the shopping I have to do. I remind myself of first world problems (ie the people who whine about things that aren't really problems like having too much to eat or having to decide between things to buy)

I believe a lot about intuition but I'm too tired to really coherently go into it now..maybe I will revisit it tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    My professor said almost exactly that once when someone asked about the role of intuition in clinical work. He said that intuition is deep knowledge and experience.
    I believe the same about intuition and don't think that it is anything supernatural.

Katy, you were great on the video and the eggs are just amazing!

And Gwenn, like Bridget, I thought you were going to say she was upset because you weren't going either. How can she be upset when you are coming? Self-centered much??? I would say.

I am happy I have never really experienced any holiday drama with my family. They save all the drama for the rest of the year and are usually their nicest during holidays, which is usually the only time I see them, so it works for me.

Erin

Thanks. Do I have to go through his pedi? I'm afraid they'll think it's just normal.
    Oh right, I think I whine a lot. Not just here but all over the board. Don't tell me you don't want me to STFU about the cruise and all the shopping I have to do. I remind myself of first world problems (ie the people who whine about things that aren't really problems like having too much to eat or having to decide between things to buy)
    I don't think you talking about your cruise, shopping, make-up, etc is whining and I haven't yet wanted you to stfu!! I hope you have a great time, and that you share stories with us. I can live vicariously through you. Seriously, you deserve to have a good time.

I don't think we have any particular family tension during the holidays. Ours is pretty much spread out through the whole year evenly.

Actually, aside from a certain group that I avoid, most of us get along amazingly well.

I love reading First World Problems. I read a forum sometimes. Here are some of the latest posts.

"​I want to rearrange my room in a minimalist style, but I have too much stuff."
    "I made a typo on a comment and somebody made fun of me."
    "My microwave beeps one too many times when it's finished cooking and it's really annoying"
    "My smart phone is wider than my old phone and brushes against my earring while I talk, making an annoying jingling noise."
    "I went to a professional sporting event, but the view wasn't as good as it is from my HDTV."
    "My mom got a Droid X and keeps asking me how to use it"
    "My power went out tonight due to bad weather; I'm having to post my facebook statuses on my 3g phone via candlelight."
    "I asked for a pound of pepper bacon at Whole Foods, but when I got home I realized they gave me hickory smoked."
    Last edited by 3andMe; 04-22-2011 at 09:43 PM.

I love reading First World Problems. I read a forum sometimes. Here are some of the latest posts.

"​I want to rearrange my room in a minimalist style, but I have too much stuff."
    "I made a typo on a comment and somebody made fun of me."
    "My microwave beeps one too many times when it's finished cooking and it's really annoying"
    "My smart phone is wider than my old phone and brushes against my earring while I talk, making an annoying jingling noise."
    "I went to a professional sporting event, but the view wasn't as good as it is from my HDTV."
    "My mom got a Droid X and keeps asking me how to use it"
    "My power went out tonight due to bad weather; I'm having to post my facebook statuses on my 3g phone via candlelight."
    "I asked for a pound of pepper bacon at Whole Foods, but when I got home I realized they gave me hickory smoked."
    love this. I want to know where this forum is, since I have lots of problems that sound exactly like these.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

Oh man, Lydia. Those posts make me want to cry and laugh at the same time. How totally absurd.

I was just watching the movie For Colored Girls and had to turn it off after a very disturbing scene involving children and now I don't think I will sleep.

Kate, you aren't whining at all about your cruise and the shopping. I'm also enjoying the vicarious thrill of your trip so post away.

Lydia, the first world problems are hilarious. I have to admit sometimes I feel like I sound like that myself ... I hope not.

My dad sent an email about Easter and DH thinks my dad must be trying to make up for my mom on the phone.

For Sunday, I have so far a large chicken breast for Mandy from 17th
    St. and wild Alaska salmon. Kevin, do you like salmon? if not let me
    know what you would like. I propose baking them with a light
    apricot-ginger glaze we have recently discovered. Goes wonderfully on
    chicken too if you like that Mandy. Also homemade Ciabatta bread, two
    vegies, a salad, and whole orange-apple couscous. Morello cherries
    jubilee for dessert! If that doesn't strike your fancy, I can find a
    slice or two of homemade Boston Creme Pie in the freezer.
    LOL ... I think DH is right. It sounds amazing, except my dad's cooking usually doesn't taste quite the way it sounds. Makes me sound like a first-world problem complainer.

Your dad seems like a sweetheart. My mom could be unreasonable at times as well and my dad was ever the peacekeeper.

Funny thing is, when I was a kid it was usually my mom who was the peacekeeper. But they can both be amazing.

Bridget, I promise I'll stop after this but here is another link. I've never read it before but I just had to read the whole thing even though it's long. It was written by a man with autism and it is his attempt to explain to people without autism what autism is like. He did a really, really good job - and this is apparently a man who uses a computer to communicate because he can't communicate well through speech. Lots of this I know because I've learned it academically, but seeing it through his eyes really blew me away.

When I learned to do sign language and use the computer in 1992, I was surprised that other people wanted to know how I think. I always wanted to learn how everybody else thinks because there are so many of you and I wanted to make myself like you so I could fit in your world.

But I learned that people wanted to know about me too, and when they learned how I thought and why I did things, they did things that weren’t as confusing to me and I could understand them better. I learned that I could stay like me and still fit in your world, a little. So I decided it is better to stay like me and fit in a little, than become not like me and fit in a lot.
    So amazing...
    Last edited by Gwenn; 04-23-2011 at 12:37 AM.