Page 635 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 1355355856256336346356366376456857351135 ... LastLast
Results 19,021 to 19,050 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

I'm sorry. I'm so anxious and I'm getting crabby. I got to get my head out of my ass about the whole old house thing because I cannot stand myself like this. I'm certainly not going to be this miserable till February!

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I know we all come here to get stuff off our chest, so let it out.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Okay, so DH took the truck to the dealership and asked them to inspect it before he bought it. There were some things wrong that he had fixed and we brought it home today. He just went outside and realized the tail light isn't working - after he paid for an inspection and repairs at the dealership. Seriously, that pisses me off. He could get pulled over for that.

wtf? I think he should call them and tell them about it. Technically, if he had gotten pulled over for that immediately after getting an inspection they could jeopardize their inspector's license. At least, that's how it is in NY. That helps limit the amount of garage's that are willing to do a 'lick-and-stick'

I don't know if there is an inspector's license here - there might be, but I don't know all that much about it.

6. Default

wow... busy ladies in here lately!!!

Kate -- I think we did make the connection last year that we shared a birthday, but I had forgotten. Thank you for reminding me!!

AND OMG! I found my theme song for tomorrow (would have been B and my anniversary) The Band Perry -- Miss You Being Gone.

The last line of the song says "Thank God You're Gone" and I started cracking up at work! Another part says "I miss you like drama queens..............something................. Braces on prom night" HILARIOUS!

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Okay, so DH took the truck to the dealership and asked them to inspect it before he bought it. There were some things wrong that he had fixed and we brought it home today. He just went outside and realized the tail light isn't working - after he paid for an inspection and repairs at the dealership. Seriously, that pisses me off. He could get pulled over for that.
    Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by The10Eels View Post
    wow... busy ladies in here lately!!!

Kate -- I think we did make the connection last year that we shared a birthday, but I had forgotten. Thank you for reminding me!!

AND OMG! I found my theme song for tomorrow (would have been B and my anniversary) The Band Perry -- Miss You Being Gone.

The last line of the song says "Thank God You're Gone" and I started cracking up at work! Another part says "I miss you like drama queens..............something................. Braces on prom night" HILARIOUS!
    Sounds cute, LOL

I really need a massage. I'm so tense I feel like my shoulders are up by my ears. Rich found a good knot on my back last night but when he started to work on it I felt nauseous.

Ouch, Chrissy, that sounds painful.

Just saw your post in TTC, Mandy! Wishing you the best!

My SIL wants me and my MIL to go with her to get a fish pedicure. They're all the rage here. Is that popular in the USA? MIL is scared to go since she thinks the fish will try to eat her toes. Lol. I'm curious to see what it's like.

Double post
    Last edited by AmeriBrit; 04-22-2011 at 06:42 AM.

I've heard about the fish pedicure. Tell MIL not to worry. It tickles!

I watched something on TV about it once. I can't remember if they were showing a place in the US that offered that or not. I often watch things that let me know what's going on in other countries, so it's possible I saw it on something like that.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I think they do them in Japan or somewhere. I saw it on a show once, too. I've had fish nibble my toes and I agree, it's kind of tickly and pleasant.

Interview in 10 minutes! Hope my house looks clean, my studio is unsalvageable, but I will chalk that up to "artistic temperament"! I wonder if there will be a way for me to post it after it airs?

Wish me luck, friends!

And thanks, Myles - it isn't patience with the eggs - I think it is my meditation. Without them I might be nuts.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Sorry, I'll have to go back and respond to other posts later. I saw this one from Mandy and had to put in my 2 cents.

Years ago I had too much time on my hands mid-day and watched too much Court TV. One of the cases I watched beginning to end was of an early 20's man that walked into the restroom of a park and came up behind a young boy (8-10?) and slit his throat while he was standing at the urinal. His mom was standing directly outside the door.

I was horrified, of course, and ever grateful that I had girls. Now, I have a boy and I can promise you that Conner will not be going in any public restroom alone. Well...at some point I'll have to let him but most definitely NOT at 8. I'll try to find a family bathroom, or a bathroom that just has 1 toilet in it, but if I can't then people are just going to have to deal.
    Had to mention that I agree with this. Ky is 9 and I rarely let him go into public restrooms by himself, he can go with a friend/relative around his age or a little younger, but not by himself. He still goes into the ladies room with me, and I wait for him. I admit it does embarrass him.

There was a story here in the news a couple years ago where an 8 year old boy was raped by a 15 year old boy in a public bathroom at a grocery store. Ky was around 6 or 7 at the time and I was considering letting him go to the bathroom by himself then but now I am thinking 10 will be the magic age. I sometimes let him go when I know there is no one else in the men's room but he also knows that I am not big on "gender bathrooms" anyway and I will go into a men's room. Sometimes when he doesn't want to go to the ladies room (there are too many ladies) I will go in the men's room with him and wait. I mean they don't have anything I haven't ever seen before anyway, so what's the big deal.

Erin

Good luck! I hope you can post it, I want to see!!

Forgot to add, Gwenn, I think those cabinets are through and I would just go ahead and get new ones. That way you won't have to think about them anymore and it would be one less thing to do in the future. I know cabinets are expensive but I would look around and go to different warehouses or outlets centers and see if the price could be lower. Most people I know go to Ikea for a cheap kitchen or to Lowes or Home Depot but I would try to go to an outlet type of place. Luckily we have a lot of places around here that will beat any competitor's price for the same products so I would try to check around and get the best deal possible.

I would like to replace our counter tops, though I don't like our cabinets, they are decent, but we have really cheap countertops and even though I am pretty cheap in other areas, I don't like cheap quality items for my home.

Home repairs/purchases are so daunting. We were considering buying a new house next year because DH wants more room for his crap, and it would be nice to have a bigger yard, but the housing market is so bad right now and we know we won't be able to sell our house and I don't want to risk renting it out and having someone destroy it. So I am thinking of turning our crawlspace into a finished basement, that would probably be 30K or more because I would want the best company possible to ensure a warranty (especially for moisture leaks as the crawlspace is already leaky and we would have to get it waterproofed).

Erin

Quote Originally Posted by katycat24 View Post
    Interview in 10 minutes! Hope my house looks clean, my studio is unsalvageable, but I will chalk that up to "artistic temperament"! I wonder if there will be a way for me to post it after it airs?

Wish me luck, friends!

And thanks, Myles - it isn't patience with the eggs - I think it is my meditation. Without them I might be nuts.
    Good luck Katy!!

Erin

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    ...I am thinking of turning our crawlspace into a finished basement, that would probably be 30K or more because I would want the best company possible to ensure a warranty (especially for moisture leaks as the crawlspace is already leaky and we would have to get it waterproofed).

Erin
    Our basement at our old house leaks like a sieve. Jessica asked if we could put a bedroom down there for her but I told her that's just not feasible in the immediate future. The costs of digging out and resealing a basement are astronomical, even if you do the work yourself.

She said she'd buy a ShamWow. She's such a character!

On a hopeful note (I hope!), Rich was approached by one of the owners of his company about taking over as group leader in his department. He already fills in when the current one isn't there. They like his work, told him he has integrety, and have met with him twice this week about it. They gave him some company booklet about being a group leader.

The downside is that as far as Rich knows, they don't intend on firing the current group leader, just demote him. And leave him in the same department. He's verbally abusive and has temper tantrums on a nearly weekly basis. Rich is a little concerned about how that's going to play out.

My hackjob I keep finding more pieces to cut. It was to my shoulders before i started. Step away from the scissors!
    Whenever I see pictures of myself I can't believe how...tired I look. Makes me want to go lay down.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Our basement at our old house leaks like a sieve. Jessica asked if we could put a bedroom down there for her but I told her that's just not feasible in the immediate future. The costs of digging out and resealing a basement are astronomical, even if you do the work yourself.

She said she'd buy a ShamWow. She's such a character!
    That is really funny! A ShamWow LOL !

Our crawlspace is pretty much already dug out and it doesn't get a whole lot of water so I don't think it would be too horrible to renovate it, but I am always hesitant in spending that kind of money, we would have to take out an equity line to do the reno and I hate adding more bills to our finances.
    Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    My hackjob I keep finding more pieces to cut. It was to my shoulders before i started. Step away from the scissors!
    Whenever I see pictures of myself I can't believe how...tired I look. Makes me want to go lay down.
    I think it is a cute cut, and I also don't think you look all that tired, a little, but not much.

Erin

bridget - I'm not just saying this to flatter you, you look really great. I love angular cuts, probably because my face is so round and my cowlicks so crazy that I've never had hair that could behave that way and look good with my face. The cut accentuates the pretty shape of your eyes. And I think you did a good job with the cut. You are probably more critical of your work than anyone would notice.

chrissy - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and Rich too. BTW, do ShamWows really work like the infomercials say they do?

You guys know that the word "basement" is practically a foreign language here in California, right? I think it's 99% slab or crawlspace over here, at least along the coast (right Lydia?). I am always amazed when I hear that people have all that extra square footage that they could use to practically double the space in their house.

I've never thought that a crawlspace could be dug out, Erin. I wonder if that would be an option for us if we ever moved back to our house in So Cal.

DH & I had a really good talk last night. I'd called him from work and apologized about the awful thing I'd said. Then after we put Bodhi to bed, we sat and talked for 2 hours (thank goodness the couches finally arrived after 1 month on order; it woulda sucked if we had to have that talk from the floor, but I digress). He's a reasonable guy, and I love him. We still have issues with the way we work together, but I came away from our talk feeling like we both really want to work on us in earnest. Plus, he conceded to all my points on BF-ing. He won't try to impose a schedule anymore and won't pressure me to wean until we both think B is ready to "walk away" from it, so how can I be upset?

Another thing that's sort of funny and I'm so glad we talked about: we both had thought the other was trying to shield Bodhi from watching the boy-boy kiss on Glee. We were watching our DVR, and I had asked DH seconds before the kiss (I'd read about) if he was comfortable with Bodhi seeing it. He had took my question to mean I doubted it was right for Bodhi to watch it. So he thought he was taking my cue when he turned Bodhi's head away from the TV for the kiss. We'd both been walking around disappointed in each other, thinking the other had handled it wrongly. We both actually agree that we want Bodhi to be exposed to all types of couples early on in life (not that Bodhi understood a thing he was seeing while he was in the room, because the TV is so high up and he was on the floor playing with his trains).

On a related note, I'm really annoyed at the right-wing, conservative response to that J Crew ad. http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/we...y-went-to-hell My friend started a Facebook event to paint your toes pink this Sunday. I will be doing my toes for the first time in like, 2 years.

Mandy, I think that the cabinets have to go. But I wouldn't put in really nice ones either if going to be renting.

The idea of a crawlspace is interesting to me. I don't think that I have ever seen one in person before. I have always had a basement except the townhouse I rented right before we moved to the house. I hated not having a place to go in a tornado warning! I like having a basement.

So last night I told DH that I was thinking about an elliptical for at home again. I have talked about this for years but we didn't have space for one. Now we do...our basement is pratically empty and since there are two big windows down there, it does have some natural light. And he didn't totally freak out and say can't afford it and no right away. He wasn't thrilled. And he did say that if I had one, he would nag me hardcore about actually using it. But I think that I would. It's the one thing besides swimming that I actually didn't hate doing. I don't really like walking all that much (like a stroll in the mall or down the block is fine but yeah otherwise I find it boring unless the weather is about darn near perfect).....not into biking. Swimming isn't much of an option. It will probably take him a few more months to get used to the idea.....and if we saved up and used amazon.com points, it would take a while to get a decent chunk of that. But than he would have to put it together and he hates doing that. So I will see if I can trick him tonight go look at a few in person at a place where delivery and assembly is an option.....we will be on that side of town anyway looking at JoAnn's scrapbooking section.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Speaking of basements I really hate mine! Our w/d is down there and I hate doing it. I can't stay down there longer than a minute without feeling like something's watching me. It seriously gives me the creeps. It's unfinished and you're right it costs an arm and a leg to even just to seal it and put real walls up and make it look less like a dungeon.
    I love your picture Bridget! You look great. I think you have a really nice face structure.
    I found the prettiest dress (I think) for pink night on the cruise. I really like the style. But now I have to drive an hour to return the other one I got that I didn't like so much
    Does anyone know where I can get a short (not mini but a few inches above the knees) denim skirt?

I have to admit I have never heard of a fish pedicure! Although I've had small fish nibble at my feet when wading and it is sort of tickly so I can see it might be a pleasant thing. Didn't know it was something you could pay for, though!

And Ashley, thanks for posting in my TTC thread!

Erin and Chrissy, those are good points about the restroom. I guess I had never realized it was that bad. So sick that we have to worry about these things and I understand why you feel that way.

Bridget, the cut is cute! And you look great. A little tired, but honestly, you should look tired with all you do.

Myles, I'm glad you and DH are seeing eye to eye about things. It's good to talk.

I'm glad everyone thinks the cabinets need to go. I really think they're beyond saving, even the bases. Especially if we try to rent this place - nasty cabinets would take away significantly from what we could charge per month I would imagine.

I have heard of people digging out crawlspaces that were only 3 feet high initially. It is amazing what can be done. We have a newer house though (built in 2005) so our crawlspace is rather high, it is about 9 feet tall so we can stand up in it, but it has a dirt floor and is basically just a cave under our house. We store things down there and use it basically as a shed.

I had never heard of a crawlspace until moving to the south. Where I am from everyone has basements, I never knew you could have a house without one, I just thought all foundations were basements.

The native southerners we know consider our crawlspace a basement because it is so big and you can stand in it. But there is no actual door to get into it from the house, you have to go outside and the door to get into the crawlspace is only like 3 feet tall, so you have to stoop down to enter. I don't know if I would want to seal up that door and just have an entrance from the kitchen to the crawlspace in a renovation or reno the yard as well and make an actual door outside and an entrance from the kitchen. We have a storage room off the kitchen that we could use to make a staircase down into the crawlspace.

If needed, we will get some people to dig out the door ourselves to save money. From what I have researched, the digging and waterproofing is the most expensive part and we could take a couple months and dig up part of the yard under the patio for a door here is a pic of the door (sorry so huge), you can barely see it but it is on the right with a padlock on it. DH was building a fence at the time, he did a great job but our backyard needs a lot of work:

Oh, yeah, we don't have basements here in AZ either. I remember when my uncle moved west from NY he wanted to put in a basement and the builders thought he was insane - that was in New Mexico where I think their style is pretty similar to here. I agree, how nice to be able to double your square footage. We can't really build up, either, because hot air rises and it costs so much to cool an upper floor. Most houses here are single story but you do see some 2 stories, mostly in wealthy areas. Very different architecture here.

I was shopping recently and I think I saw a denim skirt at White House Black Market, but it might have been shorter than you were thinking, Kate. If you really like the dress, go for it!

We do have a crawlspace but it is literally that - you have to crawl in. Because our house is so old DH says it is gross. He's been down there and says there's spiders and all kinds of nasty stuff. There is no way I'm going down there. We had some wiring done and the electrician had to go in to do some of the wiring and he was really uncomfortable. He had to get some sort of protective thing that covered all his clothes to wear when he went in. I felt bad for him because I could tell he didn't want to do it.

Oh I already got the dress for pink night, but I was thinking a denim skirt for 80's night. I went to a cute accessories store the other day and got an idea for 80's night. DH thinks it's too random, but what does he know? LOL
    Yes, I do think those cabinets need to go!
    I go with Josh to the bathroom all the time except he had this phase where he didn't want anyone to come in with him so I made sure there was nobody else in there and I let him go.

I came across a weird thing the other day-I was in Old Navy and outside the dressing rooms there was a little area set up with some toys. I thought that was sort of bizarre. If nobody was keeping an eye on who was coming and going, it seemed like someone could walk off with your child. Josh wanted to play there so I let him for a couple minutes while I tried on a dress, but I felt really nervous about it and ended up asking him to come in the room with me.

I wouldn't have batted an eye to see a boy Josh or Conner's age in the restroom, though. I expect that. And that's creepy about the play area.