Page 616 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 1165165666066146156166176186266667161116 ... LastLast
Results 18,451 to 18,480 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

867-5309 Jenny!

I don't know the Lydia song but have definitely heard Mandy before. I was almost named Amanda.

Hugs Ashley....I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt.

Bridget....the money thing would freak us out but we are paranoid about money. But I agree that visiting family is vital. I'm sorry to hear about your FIL. How old is he? Prostate cancer is super common and usually pretty slow growing. There are a LOT of treatment options available for it and it will just depend on his age and what stage.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

My mom used to sing Dolly's "Christina" to me when I was little. I never heard Dolly's version (that I remember) till a few months ago. I actually think my mom sings it better, but I'm sure I'm terribly biased

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I'm so sorry to hear about your FIL, Bridget and your Aunt, Ashley.

I went back and forth about deciding if we should go to see my parents this year since money is the tightest it's ever been but with my 2 grandmas in not great shape and my cousin going missing, I decided we just had to go and we'll just be more conservative with our money to afford it.

Y'all, this is a true confession: I accidentally conned a shop assistant today; I picked up a skirt that was on a rail that said "everything is 5." When I got to the counter to pay, it said it was 10, so I said, "but it was on the 5 rail." So the guy was like, "OK" without even checking. When I walked out, I realized that it was on the other side of the rail that said "everything is 10." Oooops!

And it was a nice Billabong skirt that should have been 35.

I'm sorry, Ashley and Bridget, about your news.

I only had one person ever bug me with a song - it was a friend's mom when I was 6 and every.single.time. she saw me, she would sing "K-K-K-Katyyy!!!!" I don't think I have ever heard the song, but I know the first line

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    Y'all, this is a true confession: I accidentally conned a shop assistant today; I picked up a skirt that was on a rail that said "everything is 5." When I got to the counter to pay, it said it was 10, so I said, "but it was on the 5 rail." So the guy was like, "OK" without even checking. When I walked out, I realized that it was on the other side of the rail that said "everything is 10." Oooops!
    oops.

I did something similar at Walmart on Saturday. I noticed the clerk rang up Bobbie's sheet protectors twice and by the time I said something, she'd also swiped the coffee. She took 'something' off and I didn't realize till later it was the coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    I went back and forth about deciding if we should go to see my parents this year since money is the tightest it's ever been but with my 2 grandmas in not great shape and my cousin going missing, I decided we just had to go and we'll just be more conservative with our money to afford it.
    I think you made the right choice. When it comes to family, you can't put a $ on it.

Quote Originally Posted by katycat24 View Post
    I'm sorry, Ashley and Bridget, about your news.

I only had one person ever bug me with a song - it was a friend's mom when I was 6 and every.single.time. she saw me, she would sing "K-K-K-Katyyy!!!!" I don't think I have ever heard the song, but I know the first line
    Yup, exactly this. I only know the first line. LOL

I'm so sorry to hear about your family members, Bridget & Ash! I hope the folks that are ill are comfortable and feel like they did much of what they wanted to do in their lifetimes.

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by The10Eels View Post
    I confess that my mom flew to tucson today to be with my dying aunt. She (my aunt) is in the icu with delayed hemolytic reaction, has had a possible heart attack, her kidneys are operating at thirty percent and doesnt really recognize anyone. my cousin asked her if she recognized her or if she could say her name. My aunt just stared at her and said "name"
    I confess that seemed like a much longer confession when I was typing it on my phone!

and thank you all for your thoughts. Its hard since my aunt and her family are the only ones on my moms side that we ever really had any relationship with.

They are doing a bone marrow test today, all other tests have come back negative, but she keeps going downhill.
    Last edited by The10Eels; 04-05-2011 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The10Eels View Post
    I confess that my mom flew to tucson today to be with my dying aunt. She (my aunt) is in the icu with delayed hemolytic reaction, has had a possible heart attack, her kidneys are operating at thirty percent and doesnt really recognize anyone. my cousin asked her if she recognized her or if she could say her name. My aunt just stared at her and said "name"
    Ashley. That's really hard. Do you know what hospital she is in?

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I'm positive I never heard the Lydia song, but it's cute. I don't believe I ever heard the Mandy one. It didn't sound familiar at all. But no one I know is really a Barry Manilow fan.
    I don't know any Barry Manilow fans, either, but people sang that song at me my entire.life up until college age. Then when I went to college it was drunk guys at parties, which was more amusing but also annoying in its own way. That's what I got for being a music major the first time around - the only guys I knew were ones who had no problem bursting into song for no reason, but had no interest in anything ELSE!

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Dbf's dad called to let us know he has prostate cancer.
    Have I mentioned how much cancer absolutely terrifies me? It's everywhere.
    Bridget. I've been through prostate cancer with my grandfather and my uncle and from what I understand it is slow-growing and very treatable. My grandfather was told by his doctor that at his age, it wouldn't be the cancer that would kill him. They were right, he died of heart failure at 93. My uncle has had multiple radiation treatments and gone into remission a couple of times. He's cancer free.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    What's that Mandy....you want to move to Wisconsin? Actually is pretty warm out today...supposed to be low 50's and most of the snow is gone.
    I'd freeze to death!

I think that there might be a Jennifer song but never gotten that sung to me.

Now my sister is a Roxanne. Many many many times people hear that and start going Roxanne...you don't have to put out the red light.
    I don't know a Jennifer song ... but yeah, Roxanne is just asking for it. Pretty name but I would NEVER name a baby Roxanne because of that song.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    867-5309 Jenny!
    Oh, that one! Now that's going to be stuck in my head all night!

I don't know the Lydia song but have definitely heard Mandy before. I was almost named Amanda.

Hugs Ashley....I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt.

Bridget....the money thing would freak us out but we are paranoid about money. But I agree that visiting family is vital. I'm sorry to hear about your FIL. How old is he? Prostate cancer is super common and usually pretty slow growing. There are a LOT of treatment options available for it and it will just depend on his age and what stage.
    ITA about the prostate cancer.

Oddly enough, no one has ever sung Amanda to me. Then again, the only people who really call me Amanda are DH and my mother. And DH has never sung ANYTHING in his life! Except once he tried to sing Ring of Fire at karaoke and failed miserably. I've accepted that I apparently could have either a man who can sing or a man who is interested in other things.

Quote Originally Posted by katycat24 View Post
    I don't know the Katy song!
    Last edited by Gwenn; 04-05-2011 at 05:45 PM.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post

Bridget. I've been through prostate cancer with my grandfather and my uncle and from what I understand it is slow-growing and very treatable. My grandfather was told by his doctor that at his age, it wouldn't be the cancer that would kill him. They were right, he died of heart failure at 93. My uncle has had multiple radiation treatments and gone into remission a couple of times. He's cancer free.

I'd freeze to death!

I don't know a Jennifer song ... but yeah, Roxanne is just asking for it. Pretty name but I would NEVER name a baby Roxanne because of that song.

Oh, that one! Now that's going to be stuck in my head all night!

Oddly enough, no one has ever sung Amanda to me. Then again, the only people who really call me Amanda are DH and my mother. And DH has never sung ANYTHING in his life! Except once he tried to sing Ring of Fire at karaoke and failed miserably. I've accepted that I apparently could have either a man who can sing or a man who is interested in other things.

Yes, I have been told that most men if they live long enough will have prostate cancer. My MIL's Dh had it at like 40 or 41 which is really quite young and he did have a more aggressive form so what they did was biopsy it and they decided due to his age to remove it. And even with it being aggressive, they still didn't need to do any kinds of chemo or radiation and he's ok a couple of years later (well now he's an ahole but is fine physically).

Yeah it was nice today! I didn't even wear my jacket after work when I was doing errands and voting. I'm guessing maybe 50 or 51 degrees.
    What is the coldest you have ever been in Mandy? I start complaining about the heat after about 74.

I was going to say that maybe my parents named her first but she was born in 1983 and I checked and the song came out in 1978. Oh well she has never minded a hooker song being sung at her and Dad always liked Police. Just as long as we call her Roxanne or Rocky she is cool....she HATES Roxy or Roxie with a passion...don't know why as I think that those are cute. I think that the parents realized that doing a Jennifer with a super common last name wasn't the brightest so they went less common with the sister.

My Dh isn't a singer at all but sings all the time. Either to songs or his favorite is taking other songs tunes and turning them into Cosmo songs. Usually has lyrics along the lines of being fuzzy and cute and furry to boot and a sneaky bed hog. We are kind of obsessed with our Cosmo.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Jennifer, I've lived in cold weather. I lived in New York until I was 14 and we had real winters with snow, but we were nearer the coast so it didn't get super cold the way it does in western NY. And in college I lived in Flagstaff which is a mountain town. Cool in the summer and colder winters but really it never got far below 0. It would freeze and thaw a lot so there was a ton of ice on the road which was worse than snow for driving. One of the reasons I've stayed in the heat - driving up and down mountains on sheets of ice! Not a lot of fun and I was always terrified. You may have snow, but I don't think you have mountains with 100+ foot sheer drops 2' away from your car.

Oh, it was 89 here today! But supposed to be 60 this weekend (37 overnight) when DH comes home so I might be pretty chilly when I go to pick him up - his flight lands in the morning.

And DH is constantly speaking in the "voice" of our dogs. He'll have entire conversations with me from the dogs' point of view. I love all the emotions and motivations he projects into them...

I wish DH loved animals like that. I wanted to get a dog eventually but if he's going to see a dog as a nuisance, like he sees the cats, I don't want another pet at all.

Hard to tell ... dogs have more personality than cats (I say this as both a dog and cat person and I adore my cat - I mew to her to start a conversation to be honest) so dogs can be more approachable sometimes. Then again, dogs are a lot more demanding so if he doesn't like the dog, he'll not like it a lot more strongly than he doesn't like the cats. If that makes any sense.

My poor nephew. My sister just told me she had to have him cut out of the seat belt in the back of her car. She was driving him home from school (he goes to private school and it's a 45 minute drive) and he fell asleep on the way home. He got twisted up while he slept and when he woke and it had pulled tight and locked, he panicked and fought it more so it got tighter and tighter. Poor thing was hysterical. He's not little, either, he's almost 12. I feel so bad for him...

Oh wow! How did he get tangled up?
    Yeah, I know what you mean about the dog. Especially since I'm infatuated with German Sheperds and they seem to be pretty high maintenance as far as having to entertain them and give them lots of exercise.

I had my interview. I'm not sure how well I did as I'm sick and just wasn't feeling it. I don't think it was bad, but I surely wasn't at the top of my game.

No word yet from Wells Fargo. I'm not sure if they're going to call, write, or send an email.

Gosh, Mandy, your poor nephew! And your poor sister too. I know how awful it can get when your little one is panicking and SOMETHING must be done. I hope the seatbelt is an easy one to replace too.

Appropo of nothing, I confess I am addicted to House Hunters International on HGTV.

Today I finish off the last of a series of presentations I've been doing on a new feature of the software I'd been designing. I will be so glad it's over. Generally, this signals the end of the busy phase for me in a project, and then I just go into support mode, answering people's questions and training trainers while they try to build the thing I designed. The first phase should be released by the end of this year. I don't want to do a victory lap yet. When I first started this gig, I bragged how easy it was, and it's been very challenging. I still am not sure if the work is actually harder or if I just have higher standards for myself.

I confess the hardest part about my work these recent weeks has been having my attention taken away from Bodhi. I am disappointed in myself, as if there might have been some way I could have controlled the amount of work my job was gonna demand of me. I have tried to double up on sleeping with him at night (Dh and I take turns) just so he gets more of me, but I think he misses me so much that it makes him act up and tantrum a lot more in my presence. I try to stay to let B know I won't go away even when he's being difficult; I try not to let Steve tell me to just leave and let Steve calm Bodhi down. But then it gets to the point where no one is going to go to sleep with Bodhi demanding things from me all night long (he's really into rubbing my tummy and poking my belly button - weird I know, but it does make him calm). So it's happened twice that I've left in the middle of the night with Steve taking over the Bodhi care because I just couldn't help B sleep. It felt like failure and I left sort of crying both times. I really hope this is just a phase - one part adjustment to mommy working out of home and one part him just being a very expressive toddler. I also hope my work doesn't involve long hours like that again for awhile.

I have gone back to dreaming of opening up a mom-centered brick and mortar business, where I can have the kids around while I work, like a play cafe with an arts and crafts area for moms, and maybe even a yoga space. I'd love to be able to somehow incorporate my own hobbies (my mosaics, upcycled furniture and recycled clothing for sale) and let other crafty moms in the area sell their stuff too on consignment through the shop. Then I start running the numbers and thinking how much revenue the place would have to generate in order to keep it afloat, and then it starts to not sound like a good idea.

Over a year and a half ago, I started building two websites with teams of developers in India. One site is related to vacation rentals in off-the-beaten path spots, the other is an Etsy-type of marketplace. The idea there too was to have a web-based business out of the home to stay closer to Bodhi while I worked. The sites are still only 90% complete, and I have just been really bad at managing the teams to the point of getting the sites done. There's always a technical or communication snag or I get too preoccupied and ignore the projects for long periods of time. So anyway, as I was running the numbers in my head again for my "creative space/play cafe", I got really stern with myself over not finishing my other sites and started the ball rolling on them again. It's been a humbling learning experience already, just trying to get these sites off the ground, and not being even able to do that. So yeah, back to it - when I'm not busy with my "real job" or spending time wih Bodhi or still getting the new home in order or just generally keeping the activities that make me happy in my life (cycling, hiking, surfing, gardening) on a daily basis. Easily done, right? ;)

Point is... this whole doing-what-you-love thing... it's no simple feat. I'm so proud of and inspired by our mamas here who are pursuing their own dreams of working for themselves. Bridget, your daycare center sounds fantastic. I would absolutely be your first client if I were anywhere near you (and if I weren't trying so hard to not put Bodhi in daycare. LOL.).
    Last edited by demigraf; 04-06-2011 at 10:46 AM.

chrissy - I'm sorry you don't feel your interview went well. It probably was way better than you thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    My poor nephew. My sister just told me she had to have him cut out of the seat belt in the back of her car. She was driving him home from school (he goes to private school and it's a 45 minute drive) and he fell asleep on the way home. He got twisted up while he slept and when he woke and it had pulled tight and locked, he panicked and fought it more so it got tighter and tighter. Poor thing was hysterical. He's not little, either, he's almost 12. I feel so bad for him...
    OMG! That's totally happened to me! In my ILs car their back seatbelts can turn into boa constrictors, just getting tighter and tighter the more you try to get out. I've panicked too, and I'm an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I had my interview. I'm not sure how well I did as I'm sick and just wasn't feeling it. I don't think it was bad, but I surely wasn't at the top of my game.

No word yet from Wells Fargo. I'm not sure if they're going to call, write, or send an email.
    for you!
    ---

and for you Myles! I know all too well that being overworked and missing your babe sure makes you dream of new ideas for income.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Point is... this whole doing-what-you-love thing... it's no simple feat. I'm so proud of and inspired by our mamas here who are pursuing their own dreams of working for themselves. Bridget, your daycare center sounds fantastic. I would absolutely be your first client if I were anywhere near you (and if I weren't trying so hard to not put Bodhi in daycare. LOL.).
    No kidding. I often think I should look into furthering my technical skills in one area or another, but then I fear working salary and being subject to late nights and on call. I just can't bear the thought. I don't know how you do it...plus have time to speculate about other business ventures.

I love House Hunters International too.

I think the whole thing with interviews is that we agonize over every little thing and the interviewee probably doesn't remember or didn't notice everything we pick ourselves apart over. Good luck!
    I've felt like pretty much every interview I've done was crappy and I still managed to get hired at a few jobs. LOL
    Speaking of jobs, I never heard back from that volunteer DJ position I applied for. I followed up twice (a week after I applied, and then two weeks) and then gave up. They kept saying they were going to get back to everyone who applied. Whatever!

I hate that. I think they should always get back with every person, just so you know one way or another. My current boss waited so long to get back with me I was certain that I didn't get the job. Little did I know, he's the king of procrastination. Then he sent me the job offer via email. I still laugh about that.

My broker at WF submitted our application to the wrong mailbox and didn't get notification that it was the wrong mailbox, so she had to re-submit it but did so with a 'rush' request. Now we have to wait till Friday to hear back.

I don't know what she said to our realtor, but our realtor seems to think we have a good chance of being approved. I most definitely remember Sara indicating otherwise to me when I dropped the paperwork off. In fact, she said something to the effect that she had to submit it by law, but in other words she thought it would be a waste of time. She even said we could try again in 3 months when my embarrassing screw up wouldn't appear on our credit pull.

It's really hard to not get my hopes back up now, after reading the email from my realtor. She's ready to start the verbal offer because she feels we're going to get qualified. The next step would be getting our first choice house approved.

Look at my Bubs, you guys.

Beautiful boy!!!! I suck. So busy I haven't been in here at all... miss you!!!

P.s. owning your own business is no picnic. I wouldn't take a "regular" job ever again unless I absolutely had to, but it's incredibly hard work to build a successful business and manage to fulfill family needs, your own wants... not for the faint of heart for sure.

Oh Bridget, he really is adorable! I just love him!!!

Stacy, you don't suck. We're just looking forward to the day when you can visit more often. You're definitely missed.