Page 610 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 110 510 560 600608609610611612 620 660 710 1110 ... LastLast
Results 18,271 to 18,300 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

That is odd, Bridget, but I guess I'd be flattered that she asked, and hope that she wasn't just trying to take advantage of you!

The day care decorations sound great! Lately we have been trying to decorate with seasonal things and one thing we do is hang things from the ceiling like snowflakes, hearts etc. and I've been trying to get him interested in hanging egg-shaped paper that he could decorate, but so far it's a no go.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I'm so tired. I just spent the better part of this afternoon getting all our paperwork organized and in a nice packet for our Wells Fargo lady. Whew...what a mess!
    This is me...except insert wells fargo lady with adoption social worker....and we aren't even close to being done yet.

Building the house was so much easier...and that was with three closings.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    That is odd, Bridget, but I guess I'd be flattered that she asked, and hope that she wasn't just trying to take advantage of you!
    I was thinking the same thing. But if you already told your families that your weekends are for your own family, then I do think it was rude. My daycare provider does offer babysitting during the weekends and on weekday evenings, like Friday night if we need it, but she is an older lady without young kids. (She insists that the kids call her Grandma, which I don't like, especially since her name is Barbara and my DH's grandma is named Barbara and the kids call her Grandma Barbara. I just think it can be confusing for Elle when she visits her real Grandma Barbara, but it is only one issue that I have with her and I feel lucky for that). We are happy to know we can call her if we need a sitter, but really I probably wouldn't.

Erin

For those of you who enjoy Weeds, guess whose show I saw on Saturday night?

He has a four year old child, which I thought was sweet - you never think about him having kids.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

That is GREAT! I love weeds....though I don't think that I have ever seen any in person before (pot) and I don't understand how that thing they smoke it in that looks like steam coming out the top works. LOL

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

6. Default

Its rare that a card on post secret strikes me to tears.. but this one did

Bridget, that was definitely out of line for her to ask that!!!

Katycat, wow, I used to love Kevin Nielen on SNL when he did Weekend Update. He looks like he is a genuinely nice guy!

Chrissy, I hear ya on the home buying thing; I hope things go smoothly for you. You'll feel so much better when it's all sorted.

Ash, big hugs. I had awful self esteem in high school but when I graduated and moved over here, it sky rocketed...I wish everyone loved themselves.

It's 8:15am here and Travis is still in bed (we only just changed the clocks this weekend.) I'm debating whether to wake him up or not.

I've never seen Weeds but I saw Kevin Nealon on SNL too.
    That postsecret struck me too, Ash. I think most guys don't look at me because I have a kid in tow, though. LOL

OMG I'm irritated this morning. So the deal is my patient visitor library is in the lobby. It's a physically walled off space with a door. Door has a lock hole drilled but no lock yet. We have posted hours outside the door. Last week Thursday and Friday and one day early in the week, there was a woman with several kids, at least one in a stroller and another that was about 2 looking. She basically is sitting on the computer checking facebook while the 2ish girl keeps running out the door (and the library has a curved wall and people tend to come past quickly in wheelchairs and scooters). She also wants to mess with my scanner and other items on my desk. Mom just keeps yelling at her to get over here.

So this morning I walk past and they are in the library again. It's not yet open. She came in and turned on the lights and closed the door to keep the kid inside. Kid is at my desk messing with my keyboard and other items and chewing on my pen. I do like I normally do, open the door (and usually turn on the lights but didn't have to this morning)....and go upstairs to drop my coat off in my office and grab my cart of work. I was gone all of two minutes and she closed the door AGAIN. Um, I don't think so. I opened the door and she continued to mess around on facebook for a while before finally leaving.
    Seriously irritates me. First off, watch your darn kid instead of playing on FB. Second off, don't be letting the kid mess with someone's desk. And third, stop closing my library door as a way to corral your kid and ignore her.

And first thing I did was wipe down my desk, keyboard, mouse, phone, and chair handles with disinfecting wipes. And threw away the chewed on gel pen.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

That's annoying! Are you going to speak to her about the library's hours?

Well she left not too long after I came in and officially opened it up. I keep hoping that she won't come back because I do NOT like to confront people. And really we try to go out of our way for our patients and their families. I just don't know if she is here for that reason....once in a while people will come back after they find out that basically we have free internet...no logging in and no filters. And we allow people to print for free.
    I just cannot wait for facilities to finally get around to installing my lock (which was a big fight to get because certain people thought we should be totally open 24 hours.....Staff can use the main library 24 hrs a day so they always have access to library resources). It really is a shame though that people cannot be trusted to not steal or that they cannot clean up after themselves....I have a trash bin, put your trash in it for crying out loud.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I hate confrontation too. I hope she doesn't come back or I'd do something passive aggressive like highlight and put arrows pointing to the hours and put trash cans every two feet.

I had to speak to our mail person today (we seem to always have a different one) about picking up our mail. We have a box on the house and the way it is placed we can't put a flag on it. I don't understand why they can't just look to see if there's any outgoing mail, but they consistently don't take our mail. She said "Oh we just always think it's mail you haven't picked up yet." Yes but it doesn't have our address on it, it has someone else's. So she said to put it in there with the stamp facing up. Okay then.

Hey, ladies. I have mostly been lurking on here during tea breaks, but have been resisting the urge to jump in. I'm giving a presentation in 45 min of an 80 page document I've been writing the last month or so. If all goes well, that means I can maybe spend a little more time chattering in here again. If you don't hear much from me soon, it means it sucked and I'm back to the drawing board. LOL.

Mwah to you! xoxo. Wish me luck.
    Last edited by demigraf; 03-28-2011 at 05:25 PM.

Sending good paper presentation vibes!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

That postcard reminds me of how I felt as a teenager. I never wanted any guys to look at me or touch me. I remember once, one of my good friends who was a guy hugged me and I pulled away from him. Guys touching me was an issue I had from my abuse. My friend was bothered by that and asked what was wrong and I remember thinking about that for a while and my abuse and decided to embrace my body and love it and not be afraid to be touched or looked at. So I am happy I don't have any issues anymore with my body (even though I'm fat) or with guys talking to me. Oddly enough, a lot of men always try to get my number, I used to always think it was because I have a great personality (back when I didn't think I was cute) but now I feel like I am the total package and DH is lucky.

Demi - good luck on your presentation!

And Jennifer - I'm upset that the lady didn't watch her kid. That would have really bothered me. Luckily I don't mind confrontation and I actually frequently will tell parents about monitoring their children better in public places like the park or library or just in general, especially if the child looks like they may be in a dangerous situation. Once I was in Walmart and this lady wasn't watching her son and he placed one of those plastic vegetable bags over his head while laughing and started running around, with the bag on his head, so I took the bagged headed child back to his mom and asked why she wanted her son to suffocate. She was very embarrassed and looked kind of pissed but didn't say anything except to say something stern to the kid.

Erin

Hi everyone! I was off work today because it was Conner's Kindergarten orientation day. I was so worried because he's said repeatedly that he doesn't want to go, that school is stupid, and he's going to skip it. When we got there, he was very shy and wouldn't cooperate about having his picture taken in front of their Kindergarten Orientation 2011 poster. He did eventually warm up, especially when I pointed out another little boy with the name Connor.

Conner's group was 4 girls and himself. Since he's used to being surrounded by girls, this didn't bother him at all. When it came time to go with the teacher-lady, he went right along and I heard him ask a cute little girl what her name was and he introduced himself as Nonner. Later, he told me she was a sweetie. lol

He got a goodie bag with letters, shapes, colors, scissors, writing paper, glue stick and a book. He also got to ride the big yellow school bus. He's so ready to start school now.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Aww, cool!

Ashley - I totally get what you mean with the postcard. I have had those feelings and urges to self-sabotage myself. I think it's totally normal to be afraid that you'll never find your mate for whatever reason. I think it's perfectly natural. I think if you just remember what a gorgeous face you have and friendly personality, you can counteract the times you feel that way.

So.. my presentation went fine. Either that or I was so non-sensical, I just stunned everyone into silence. In any case, I got through about 1/3 of the document, which isn't a surprise. I actually thought I might only get past the intro. I was expecting more debate, so if it continues on at the pace it went today with little controversy, then I should be done by a week from today (meeting every other day). Oh, how I am tired of meetings.

I had to read back 2 pages worth of confessions that I missed and had to jot little notes down to myself on things I had to comment on. My notes read: "kitchen, wax, deodorant, Zen, katy, and Jen (annoying FB lady)." Also, to be honest, I haven't yet looked for what happened to Tif, but I I am already very sad for her. She always seemed extremely sweet to me, and I'm now sort of nervous to find out what happened. I sense a lot of heartache from the comments I've read.

Jennifer, I just wanted to comment that you can totally do your kitchen backsplash yourself if you want, and would probably do a better job than a contractor. My dh & remodeled our kitchen (down in So. CA) ourselves when I was 7 months pregnant. I did a backsplash all the way up to almost the ceiling in some parts. I got this cool textured white for $.05 apiece from the Habitat for Humanity Home "Re-store" which sells off leftover building materials, and I was so happy with the results. DH bought the cabinets from this company that ships directly from China, so we got a deal on them too. I wish I could show you the "before" pictures, but here are the "afters" taken from the website we use when we want to rent out the house (I kinda miss it right now, looking at the pics):

If you want any info on doing your backsplash, feel free to ask me to share what I know about tiling an area where there will be a lot of water and spills and such. My suggestion is to do your remodel now, because you will NOT have time when you have your little one.

OK, gotta run for now, but I'll add more later when I'm on the train.

So, bridget, I am so happy you are enjoying Buddhism for Mothers. I got so much out of it, esp since I felt so traumatized from the post-partum hormones. I loved her definition of karma - how it's not some magical way the universe deals out justice, but actually just very subtle causality. Everything has a consequence, even a thought. That's what I've been meaning t. tell my sis is I ever write to her.

I found out yesterday my dad had a couple of mini-strokes over the last 6 months or so, which explained a lot. Not that I'm burying the hatchet with my sister, but I did text herthat it wouldbenice if he could see us together again and I was thinking we could both go see my folks over Easter. My DH still hates her. I know I'm her sister, so can't be objective or stay mad at her forever. I just always need to be cautious about her. I have a feeling DH is gonna need a lot more time before even being in the same room as her.

Speaking of Buddhism books, I have been trying to read "Zen Wrapped in Karma Dipped in Chocolate", and I'm just not feeling it.

On deodorants and waxing, I tried the whole no deodorant thing, and I think I was absolutely colonized by these stinky critters that would not go away. I tried scrubbing over and over again in the shower to no avail. I finally ended up dousing the whole area with 91% rubbing alcohol and I got it under control. Now I'm back to the Tom's of Maine deodorant with baking soda in it, and I'm sure my family is thankful. I always wondered if it bothered Bodhi while he nursed. He was too polite to say anything if it did, the poor little bugger. I do need a good wax m'self. In the past, when I was still dating, I had about a bazillion Brazilians. I've always said it's like seeing your dentist and gyney at the same time.

Jennifer, that FB lady was just plain rude. I would have given her the dirtiest look. At least. DH knows I don't back away from confrontations with total strangers and, in fact has noted (correctly) that I relish the chance to take a lot of my aggressions out on them. TBH, it's kinda fun.
    Last edited by demigraf; 03-30-2011 at 11:21 AM.

Gorgeous kitchen! I can see why you miss it!

Something else came up on our credit, and it's so stupid I'm almost ashamed to admit it. It doesn't look like we'll get financed now, but our broker at Wells Fargo thought we could try again in 3 months if they say no this time. I don't know what we'll do if we totally fail to get financed even then because I simply don't have a plan B. Our lease is up in August of this year and with the size of our family and all our pets, I doubt we'll find another place to rent. Pluck me.

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    I found out yesterday my dad had a couple of mini-strokes over the last 6 months or so, which explained a lot. Not that I'm burying the hatchet with my sister, but I did text herthat it wouldbenice if he could see us together again andI was thinking we could both go see my folks over Easter. My DH still hates her. I know I'm her sister, so can't be objective or stay mad at her forever. I just always need to be cautious about her. I have a feeling DH is gonna need a lot more time before even being in the same room as her.
    Oh no. I can understand what you mean about her being your sister. I think when it's family, we make allowances we'd never do for other people. It sounds like you're really good at keeping it all in perspective though, so it's not really toxic for you. Just a pita.

Bridget, Yay for the new daycare decoration! That sounds wonderful! And I would be annoyed at the babysitting comment, too. Unfortunately I deal with the public enough to suspect she was trying to take advantage of you.

Ashley, You're a beautiful girl. I was actually thinking when you posted your glasses picture that you'd lost some weight, too. You look great.

Jennifer, yuck. I would have been annoyed, too.

Chrissy, yay for Conner! And I hope your financing goes through.

Myles, your kitchen looks gorgeous! And I'm glad your presentation went well.

Somebody back there used the word "texted" - which made me laugh because a coworker today asked how to write "texted." She said she only hears people say "text" out loud even when they are talking about the past. I told her she had to put an -ed in if she wrote it.

I've had two sets of parents today ask me what "cognitive" means. As in, your child is doing really well in every area except cognitive. I know it's a horrible thing to hear about your child - but it's like they have this breakdown and refuse to believe it means what they think it means. Which is very sad - but hearing different people repeatedly say "what does cognitive mean?" kind of makes me laugh. Sorry if that comes across the wrong way - I have to have a dark sense of humor in my job or I'd go crazy.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I'm sorry about your dad Myles
    So one of you recommended the book Matched and I downloaded the sample for my Kindle. I really liked it, and it ended at a point where I really wanted to know what happened next. So I wanted to see how much the whole book was so I hit Buy, thinking it would show me the price and ask me to confirm, and it just automatically bought it. Oh well!
    It's a lot like the Hunger Games trilogy so far, and I like it.

Sorry, Myles... I read about your dad but missed responding in my mass response post. I am sorry about your dad, too.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 03-28-2011 at 07:28 PM.

Oh! The Kindle book cost came out of my Amazon gift card. Sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Oh! The Kindle book cost came out of my Amazon gift card. Sweet!
    Yay for gift cards!

Thanks for the words of support about my dad, ladies. It's been difficult to switch gears because I've been so irritated with him since November over the fact that he cared more about my saving my sister's marriage and keeping her from psychologically crumbling than he did about having her do the right thing and learn a thing or two about integrity in the meantime. I get him wishing her husband didn't find out. But I feel he should've drawn the line before he asked me to conceal everything from my sis' DH. Not that I ever even really wanted to tell my BIL anything.

katy, I just wanted to say how cute you are in the Kevin Nealon photo. Adorbs!

Myles, did your DH tell your BIL in the end? I'm sorry to hear about your dad; I hope that you and your sis can go see him. (HUGS)

I've stepped out of my comfort zone to make some new friends. Some new Americans have moved to the area and were asking on an expats forum about a local book club, so I met up with them a few weeks ago for coffee and we all decided we'd go to the book club. Now, I'm thinking 'what was I thinking?!' I know I'll enjoy it but it's been a long time since I've tried to make new friends!

My resolution this year has been to be less sarcastic because I think it takes people off guard sometimes, so I'm proud of myself for holding back on 2 facebook occasions-1. I posted a picture of Travis eating the leftover batter from a brownie mix and one of my aunts (whom I don't particularly like) posted "you are going to make him fat." She has 2 overweight grownup sons, so I was going to post "oh, you would know, right?" but instead I just let is slide. Then 2. My sister just announced to the immediate family that she is pregnant and my mom has the biggest mouth ever so hasn't been able to keep quiet, but it's Chinese whispers now, so one of my cousins (whom-again!-I don't particularly like) sent me a message saying "Grandma told my mom that either you or Meranda (my sister) is pregnant...so, who is it?" I really wanted to reply, "I'll let you guess on that one" but again, I've kept quiet....I did text my sister and tell her I think the cat will be out of the bag soon in facebook world so she might want to take control of that. She is 3 months along any how.

Ah, so that's how my day has started.

I think you'll have fun making friends. At least, I hope you do.

As for the aunt that posted that nasty comment about making Travis 'fat' I would have had a hard time not saying something about that one. What is with people, anyway? It seems there are those that can't see a child enjoy anything without having a snarky remark to say about it.

Your sister better just post that she's pregnant herself. It sounds like she has relatives that might do it for her!

I don't know how people wait 3 months to make the announcement...but then again, I wasn't one to worry about who told whom about me being pregnant. I didn't feel like I had to be the first one to share the news. Maybe I'm just odd. I have no doubt that my mom was dialing her phone before I was off her porch, but it never occurred to me to care. Sure, I was pregnant but she was expecting to be a grandma (and later, again and again and again) so it was her news too. At least, that's how I looked at it.

We have hundreds of computers to scan for sensitive data and there's no way we're going to make our deadline. I came in to a laptop that has a virus and in most cases that equates to me spending the day wiping the drive and reinstalling all the software and data. At this rate, we'll never get through our sensitive data scan by the end of the year, much less by May 30th!