Page 608 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 1085085585986066076086096106186587081108 ... LastLast
Results 18,211 to 18,240 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Did you finish the first or second season?
    On a side note, the woman who played Lila on Dexter a few seasons ago was on Spartacus!
    It was driving me crazy!!!! I knew that I knew her!

We just finished the first season and are a few episodes in to Season 2.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

It seems like I only need to wear deodorant every couple days. Don't tell DH though! He'd probably be grossed out that I don't put it on every day.
    Yeah BSG does have heavy religious overtones, especially towards the end.

Quote Originally Posted by katycat24 View Post
    It was driving me crazy!!!! I knew that I knew her!

We just finished the first season and are a few episodes in to Season 2.

LOL, glad I could help!

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    On the deoderant thing, as long as I shave my pits regularly, I don't have to wear deoderant, so I've not worn it in years.
    Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I used to be the same way about simply shaving & not needing deodorant. I don't know if age or weight gain changed it. I haven't tried to go without it since I lost that weight though. Maybe I should.
    It seems like I only need to wear deodorant every couple days. Don't tell DH though! He'd probably be grossed out that I don't put it on every day.
    All the material in this thread and this is what I respond to.
    First - Secret had some vanilla and coconut scent a couple of years ago that I got on sale. It smelled so much that halfway through the day, I had to try to wash it off in the bathroom at work. One of those examples of how sometimes a bargain isn't.

I used to almost never wear deodorant. I just didn't smell. Then I got into my 30's and that changed. That's when I discovered that my skin had become way more sensitive and shaving + deodorant = disaster. So, I stopped shaving. Yes, I do look like a hippie. No, I do not care. It's way easier maintenance- wise. I'm not a very hairy person so it's not like a huge tangly black thicket. It's just a silky little patch. Honestly, I think it's kind of cute.
    D-Mama (37) D-Dada (43) and D-Baby (11/02/2011)

Quote Originally Posted by dana_renay View Post
    All the material in this thread and this is what I respond to.
    First - Secret had some vanilla and coconut scent a couple of years ago that I got on sale. It smelled so much that halfway through the day, I had to try to wash it off in the bathroom at work. One of those examples of how sometimes a bargain isn't.

I used to almost never wear deodorant. I just didn't smell. Then I got into my 30's and that changed. That's when I discovered that my skin had become way more sensitive and shaving + deodorant = disaster. So, I stopped shaving. Yes, I do look like a hippie. No, I do not care. It's way easier maintenance- wise. I'm not a very hairy person so it's not like a huge tangly black thicket. It's just a silky little patch. Honestly, I think it's kind of cute.
    LOL! I bet it is cute. Not sure what DH thinks of it when I let it get like that though.
    I'm going on a cruise in May and I want to get waxed...like, all over...has anyone ever done that?

I've gotten the betweeni, which is basically a Brazilian with some decorative shrubbery in the front yard.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I snorted at your description!!!

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Another of my huge catch-up posts!

I dated a 22 year old when I was 18, but he turned out to be a d-bag.
    Perhaps this is a good time to mention that when I was 22 I moved in with a 44 year old that I barely knew? That was the author - why is it I keep mentioning him lately? I really almost never think of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    On the other hand, doing a google search is not research. Not everything is on google. Not everything on google is true. OMG so often I have people who are like, just type it in google...or my friend saw this on google.
    This might be a good place for me to follow up on my work website blocking rant - turns out they blocked ANYTHING that falls under the category of health or nutrition. Including the Mayo Clinic's website! Oh, but they didn't block Wikipedia ... apparently our district is okay with teaching children to use Wikipedia as a reference as every other possible site has been blocked. Yikes! Okay, so maybe they don't want kindergartners to see naked bodies - but seriously, everything under the health/nutrition category is inappropriate for school up through 12th grade??? Seriously???

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    I was irrationally annoyed at NetFlix for recommending a movie to me that was boring. It was foreign and had semi-clothed teenagers in it, and I was even more annoyed that it thought I was so liberal that I'd like the film just based on that but ignore the fact that it had no plot. Did it think I was a guy? On the really really cool side, I had trouble with streaming NetFlix, and I went to the website help function for a minute before realizing they couldn't help me, and the next day they sent me an email saying that I must have had problems viewing movies one day, and if that was the case I should click on this link to get a refund for one day's worth of fees. They are mostly awesome.
    I love your posts, Lydia!

LOL Lydia, what movie was it? Netflix recommends weird stuff to me too because DH and I have the same account and we put movies for Josh on there too, so we have like, The Hangover, Disney movies, and DH's anime on the same list. LOL
    Once in a while I get a movie just for me-it's usually horror or maybe an Oscar winner I wanted to see but wasn't worth going to the theater for.
    DH and I have this problem, too. He watches primarily martial arts movies and documentaries about buddhism. I, well, don't.

I'm suck a series person anyway that I tend to be much more into TV shows than movies.

I'm reading this book right now http://www.amazon.com/Matched-Ally-C...1064413&sr=8-1 and really am liking it. It's kind of like a mix of The Giver, Brave New World and 1984...all books that I loved. Bad part is that there looks like there will be a sequel and it's not coming out until Nov.
    I have watched quite a few series off Netflix. Haven't got into many of the premium channel ones yet but that's because I haven't looked. They're all on there once they're out on DVD. I've mostly been watching British imports.

I really love tv series now more than movies. They are able to go so much deeper into characters and storylines. I start to actually care about the characters in a series and think about them for a longer period of time than I do about movie characters. I loved Black Swan, but I don't think about Nina the same way I do about Joan on MadMen or Debra on Dexter.
    Yes, I was becoming way into some of the characters from Monarch of the Glen for a while. Don't ask.

I watch Dexter and Idol, and together we watch some other things but none of the above mentioned. We're going to watch Camelot which starts on the 1st and some other show I can't think of the name of right now that starts this year.
    Oooh ... Camelot!

I'm going on a cruise in May and I want to get waxed...like, all over...has anyone ever done that?
    I'm trying to come up with a plan for de-yetifying myself in preparation for DH's return!
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

OMG they feel the need to block a reliable health info site but leave up wikipedia???? That site was just coming out when I was in library school....let's just say we're not fans. I mean I might use it to look up something that isn't important like a TV. So what if I get messed up info. But I would NEVER suggest that to a nursing student or a patient. I wonder if they would block www.medlineplus.gov I mean it is a gov site....one of my favorites and I use it daily when doing consumer searches. Or if staff wants me to do a search and I know NOTHING about it...got to have a basic knowledge to know what to look for in a search.

I'm killing time until Bill Maher comes on.

I haven't even shaved my legs since probably October. LOL I have enough hair on my head for 4 people....but everywhere else it's pretty fine. It's just too cold to shave in the winter.
    And don't use much deodorant...usually every couple of days and I pretty much only used unscented things. All my soaps are unscented and often dye free. I'm really picky about smells and do not wear perfumes. I do however like the green apple dawn for my dish soap. and sometimes berry or more watermelon or cucumber scented things are ok. But not vanilla or flower smells.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

OMG they feel the need to block a reliable health info site but leave up wikipedia???? That site was just coming out when I was in library school....let's just say we're not fans. I mean I might use it to look up something that isn't important like a TV. So what if I get messed up info. But I would NEVER suggest that to a nursing student or a patient. I wonder if they would block www.medlineplus.gov I mean it is a gov site....one of my favorites and I use it daily when doing consumer searches. Or if staff wants me to do a search and I know NOTHING about it...got to have a basic knowledge to know what to look for in a search.

I'm killing time until Bill Maher comes on.

I haven't even shaved my legs since probably October. LOL I have enough hair on my head for 4 people....but everywhere else it's pretty fine. It's just too cold to shave in the winter.
    And don't use much deodorant...usually every couple of days and I pretty much only used unscented things. All my soaps are unscented and often dye free. I'm really picky about smells and do not wear perfumes. I do however like the green apple dawn for my dish soap. and sometimes berry or more watermelon or cucumber scented things are ok. But not vanilla or flower smells.
    I think they left all .gov sites open. I got annoyed and checked a few sites like the CDC and NIH and they were available. But the .com sites are blocked even though some of them are highly respected info sources - like Mayo Clinic.

And yeah - I use Wikipedia to look up celebrity bios or movies or things like that. Not health information. Although sometimes I check what it says about disorders I work with just to see if it's giving out reliable info and most of the time it's pretty good with a few errors.

I've been using cucumber scent deodorant and hand soap lately. For some reason I like it a lot. But deodorant isn't an option for me, especially in these temperatures.

The soap thing reminds me I was going through some of my soaps looking for a new one to use and I came out with one that wasn't labeled, from a gift box my cousin sent me for Christmas. I tried to use it and it wouldn't lather up. Later on I found the paper saying what everything is and it's a massage bar. LOL

any big plans for the weekend? We have some wine to drink...reisling for Dh and pinot noir for me. and cleaning...we are normally pretty good about it but it's been a few weeks for most the house and it REALLY needs it. And adoption paperwork of course.

I finished that book and liked it. Now to wait for the sequel. I also requested and need to go pick up since it came in "I am number four".

And I'm plotting more ways to spend money....that is what I do, I come up with ways to spend the money and DH brings it back to reality. Right now we both want a back splash in the kitchen. I don't care at all for just having the drywall there and want to do tiles. He was thinking that it would be like 1700-2k to get this done. My sister and I think it will be less than that. I can't see using doing anything to fancy and I know glass is the most expensive but that wouldn't look right anyway. Floor is vinyl but looks like slate and the counter is laminate that looks like oiled soapstone.
    These are my kitchen....any ideas on what to do?????

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

LOL Yeah temperature isn't an issue for us most of the year. I still have my heat and fire place going on. course we still have about 6 inches of snow on the ground. Even in the summer we don't get that many days over 90...we are mostly 70's and 80's and summer isn't that long.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

LOL, I saw the first picture and I was going to say, where is all your stuff?
    I don't know anything about decorating But I like your kitchen. No real plans this weekend. DH works tomorrow so Josh and I have to find something to do. He wants to go to the "far away mall" about half an hour away (as opposed to the one across the street), so we'll probably go to the gym in the morning and then go to the mall. I have no money to spend but we'll kill some time there.

floor is mostly dark with browns, gold, greys...counters are darker grey, my appliances are stainless steel, and my gadgets like my mixer and such are kitchen aid red.

I have no clue what to do for tiles....just nothing too dark since the floors are darker.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

LOL it was right before we moved in.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I wish I had a great suggestion ... we were making plans to re-do our kitchen before DH lost his job and the backsplash was the one thing I was just having trouble with. I think tile would look nice in your kitchen. I've seen some that are sold in strips already spaced out so pretty easy for DIY. I tend to prefer a stone look rather than a glazed tile but that's personal preference.

Do your SOs actually notice these things? Cause mine sure doesn't. I literally did not shave my legs all winter last year and when I said something about it in spring, he was like "What? There's hair on your legs?!" Clueless.

And Gwenn, that is messed up. Wikipedia is not exactly short on nasty stuff anyway, kwim? But I actually know people that would be aghast at the suggestion that children should have accurate factual information about <gasp!> their bodies and how to care for them!

Jennifer, any of these ideas work for you?

http://www.hgtv.com/kitchens/beautif...res/index.html

Do your SOs actually notice these things? Cause mine sure doesn't. I literally did not shave my legs all winter last year and when I said something about it in spring, he was like "What? There's hair on your legs?!" Clueless.

And Gwenn, that is messed up. Wikipedia is not exactly short on nasty stuff anyway, kwim? But I actually know people that would be aghast at the suggestion that children should have accurate factual information about <gasp!> their bodies and how to care for them!
    Yea ... kind of sad we can't just explain about bodies without it being controversial. It would solve a lot of problems...

And my DH cares. He doesn't say anything if I let it go, but when I do keep up with it he lets me know he's happy.

I've gotten the betweeni, which is basically a Brazilian with some decorative shrubbery in the front yard.
    Mine does. I'd rather he didn't If I had nobody who cared, I'd probably hardly ever shave. Sometimes it does feel good but it's such a pain in the ass.

Mine does. I'd rather he didn't If I had nobody who cared, I'd probably hardly ever shave. Sometimes it does feel good but it's such a pain in the ass.
    Yes. I was actually thinking of a DH homecoming wax but was afraid it would be so painful I'd be out of action, so to speak.

LOL
    I don't think I'll be getting any action on the cruise with 2000 women and the new kids on the block (although I guess I could always dream )

I think the pain depends on the person. I don't think it hurts too terribly much. Except the front yard - that hurts a lot more than the side or back yard.

In your shoes Kate (well, I'm not a New Kids fan but insert other celebrities in the same spot) I'd get the wax and dream! But it would just be dreaming.

I think the pain depends on the person. I don't think it hurts too terribly much. Except the front yard - that hurts a lot more than the side or back yard.
    I really can't imagine that not being painful.

There's a side yard??? LOL
    Oh I will probably get the wax either way! Don't want to be like Miranda in the bathing suit in the first Sex and the City movie (she has hair showing out of the crotch of her bathing suit LOL)

Lol at all the waxing talk. I've only ever had my eyebrows done that way. Everything else gets done with the razor.

I am having a rare moment to myself and it feels very strange. I gave Sawyer to Mark so I could clean up the bathroom and Savana and Kai have now hopped into bed with him too. I only feel a little bad that he's hungover from drinking too much too much chocolate flavored red wine (gag). He brought it home saying it's for me but I know better than to drink sugary crap like that mixed with WINE of all things. Bad news. I told him every time I saw him pour himself a new glass that he was going to feel terrible today.

Myles, where are you?? I am in love with the Buddhism for Mothers book. I want to post quotes from it all over my house.
    This is the one I've been thinking of for a couple of days now,
    "Those with equanimity know that each moment is of equal importance. Changing a nappy, wiping a nose, reading a story or waiting in a queue--all are opportunities for mindfulness, for growing. Each moment is brilliantly new. It will not last, for it is in the process of chainging into something else-that makes it precious."
    How lovely is that?
    Last edited by Bridget; 03-26-2011 at 10:31 AM.

Chocovine? That stuff if delish! But yeah, a little goes a looooong way. Hope you enjoy these few precious moments to yourself.