Page 607 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 1075075575976056066076086096176577071107 ... LastLast
Results 18,181 to 18,210 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

  1. #18181
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    That does suck. I'm probably in the minority, but imo I don't think 17-23 is that big of a deal. Would I be happy about Bobbie dating a 23 year old? No, not really...but I wouldn't consider him a sexual predator or anything. I'd talk to her about expectations, saying no, and if she decided to go 'all the way' then she'd have to live with that.

    I wonder what that woman thought she had to gain by bringing that up so long after the fact? Did she feel better after destroying his career?

    The 70's were a different time. My father is 9 years older than my mom, and I have no doubt he genuinely loved her. He still does. She was 15 when they started dating.
    Last edited by missychrissy; 03-25-2011 at 07:17 AM.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  2. #18182

    Default

    I dated a 22 year old when I was 18, but he turned out to be a d-bag.

    I don't remember the girl who sang Rhianna...is she on the show now? Oh right...you don't watch it ;)
    I love sleuthing things out online. We call it Google-fu around here. As in, "Go work your google-fu and find out what this random obscure movie/person/quote is" I mentioned a little while ago that a friend was looking for a book she didn't know the title or author of and I found it with just a few key words. Think I have too much free time?
    I'm watching last night's Idol, but I already read a spoiler. I'm surprised.
    I usually watch it along with an old friend on my yahoo messenger and I converted him to team Pia this week He liked Karen. I was surprised she left so early.

  3. #18183
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    and that's incredibly sweet and also creepy to think of little kids knowing it wasn't safe to be alone with a teacher. As an educator that makes me really sad.
    I agree! How horrible that would be to not be able to trust your teacher. I had some fantastic ones and some that were just ok.....but I can't think of any in my many years of school that I would have felt unsafe being alone with.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  4. #18184
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,694

    Default

    I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with google. I love it for myself for things like buying stuff, finding stuff, planning vacations....and for work I love for when staff give me incomplete or just totally wrong citations. Not easy to find articles if I've been given the wrong citation (usually the title is right....and google saves me there!).
    On the other hand, doing a google search is not research. Not everything is on google. Not everything on google is true. OMG so often I have people who are like, just type it in google...or my friend saw this on google.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  5. #18185
    3andMe's Avatar
    3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    21,513

    Default

    I don't mind the AI chatter. I just have nothing to contribute, and like I said, I feel out of the loop. It reminds me of back when I was growing up, and I was the only kids without a tv. Although this time it's by choice. The only time I've really liked the show is in the beginning, with the tryouts, and dh doesn't like it, so we don't watch it.


    I was irrationally annoyed at NetFlix for recommending a movie to me that was boring. It was foreign and had semi-clothed teenagers in it, and I was even more annoyed that it thought I was so liberal that I'd like the film just based on that but ignore the fact that it had no plot. Did it think I was a guy? On the really really cool side, I had trouble with streaming NetFlix, and I went to the website help function for a minute before realizing they couldn't help me, and the next day they sent me an email saying that I must have had problems viewing movies one day, and if that was the case I should click on this link to get a refund for one day's worth of fees. They are mostly awesome.


  6. #18186

    Default

    LOL Lydia, what movie was it? Netflix recommends weird stuff to me too because DH and I have the same account and we put movies for Josh on there too, so we have like, The Hangover, Disney movies, and DH's anime on the same list. LOL
    Once in a while I get a movie just for me-it's usually horror or maybe an Oscar winner I wanted to see but wasn't worth going to the theater for.

  7. #18187
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    I can't pay attention to Netflix's recommendations because my girls watch some crazy stuff that I'm just not into at all.

    But they'd done the same thing to us when streaming didn't work right. They offer a refund/discount. You don't even have to complain, click a link, or report trouble. I think it's awesome!

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  8. #18188
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,694

    Default

    I don't have netflix. Most often we just wait for movies to become free on demand since we have HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, TMC, and Starz. Once in a while we will just get something off the on demand you have to pay for.
    I'm suck a series person anyway that I tend to be much more into TV shows than movies.

    I'm reading this book right now http://www.amazon.com/Matched-Ally-C...1064413&sr=8-1 and really am liking it. It's kind of like a mix of The Giver, Brave New World and 1984...all books that I loved. Bad part is that there looks like there will be a sequel and it's not coming out until Nov.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  9. #18189

    Default

    That book sounds neat. I don't read many dystopian books but I always end up enjoying them when I do. It really interests me to read about situations that are not realistic, but could be!
    It says I can read the first chapter free on the Kindle, so I think I'm going to figure that out...my internet seems to be wonky right now though.

  10. #18190

    Default

    I really love tv series now more than movies. They are able to go so much deeper into characters and storylines. I start to actually care about the characters in a series and think about them for a longer period of time than I do about movie characters. I loved Black Swan, but I don't think about Nina the same way I do about Joan on MadMen or Debra on Dexter.

    "Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov


  11. #18191
    3andMe's Avatar
    3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    21,513

    Default

    I'm much more of a series person, too. I always thought it was because I never have the time commitment to sit down for two hours at a stretch, but your point, Katy, makes a lot of sense.

    However, I don't like Debra on Dexter at all. Her character annoys me.


  12. #18192

    Default

    I feel the same about Debra too. I never liked her! Especially at the beginning when I thought she was really immature and so insecure I wondered how she ever got through the day. Now that she's had a couple horrible things happen to her and her loved ones I guess she is a stronger character but I still don't really like her.
    I have a little crush on Angel Quinn is hot, but a bit of a d-bag (d-bag is my favorite insult, if you hadn't noticed) I'm never really sure if he's sincere to Deb or if he's always going to have alterior motives.

  13. #18193

    Default

    Angel? Really? He reminds me so much of a bartender I used to work with in Hawaii. Deb doesn't bug me like she used to. I like the mouth on her. Dbf and I think it's hilarious.
    When is it back on?

  14. #18194
    3andMe's Avatar
    3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    21,513

    Default

    I should add that I haven't seen the latest season of Dexter yet.

    I do appreciate the complexity of characters, and I can admire Debra's character traits like her steadfastness and honor while being annoyed at her general naivete.


  15. #18195

    Default

    Yeah, Angel. Weird choice I know, but there's just something about him. He seems sensitive and vulnerable and I just want to give him a hug. LOL
    Don't worry, I won't spoil anything Lydia!

  16. #18196
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,694

    Default

    I don't mind Deb either. I like her potty mouth and wish that I was that good at swearing. LOL I'm guessing that it will probably come back on this fall, maybe like Sept?

    Does anyone else watch United States of Tara? DH and I like that and it is starting back up this weekend I think.
    My Dad and uncle really like Shameless but I haven't tried that one yet.

    And True Blood will be back I think in June! If they follow along the books, season four should be good. I loved book four.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  17. #18197
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    My kids watch Dexter, but I've only read the first book. I was surprised I actually liked it.

    Bobbie has gone and done something I'd never have the balls to do. She asked a boy out to the dance with her tonight. She's so meek and quiet, so it's quite a big deal (imo) that she got up the nerve to do that! I'm very happy and excited for her. She says he's hot in a dorky, Harry Potter kinda way. And she texted him during school, but he's a 'good boy' and didn't respond till after school was out.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  18. #18198
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,694

    Default

    Go Bobbie!

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  19. #18199

    Default



    All you Netflix users that get bizarre recommendations because you share your account with the rest of your family - there is a solution. You can actually set up multiple profiles for your account. You can even set up a profile for your kids with parental controls on the ratings. Each profile gets separate recommendations, so you might actually get suggestions for a movie *you* want to watch!

    ETA: I always want to join this thread, but I can't keep up!
    Last edited by dana_renay; 03-25-2011 at 11:31 AM.
    D-Mama (37) D-Dada (43) and D-Baby (11/02/2011)


  20. #18200

    Default

    I like Shameless. Episodes is very funny too. Dbf likes thr US of Tara one.
    I also watch Parenthood on NBC and that's about the line up around here. I watch Bill Maher in the middle of the night when I'm nursing Sawyer because dbf doesn't enjoy it but I love the show.

  21. #18201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dana_renay View Post


    All you Netflix users that get bizarre recommendations because you share your account with the rest of your family - there is a solution. You can actually set up multiple profiles for your account. You can even set up a profile for your kids with parental controls on the ratings. Each profile gets separate recommendations, so you might actually get suggestions for a movie *you* want to watch!

    ETA: I always want to join this thread, but I can't keep up!
    Thanks for that! Yeah, we do move pretty fast sometimes! It's okay to jump in whenever you want.

    Go Bobbie!
    I watch Dexter and Idol, and together we watch some other things but none of the above mentioned. We're going to watch Camelot which starts on the 1st and some other show I can't think of the name of right now that starts this year.

  22. #18202
    3andMe's Avatar
    3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    21,513

    Default

    Thx! That is a good idea, since I keep getting recommendations based on feel-good talking animal shows.


  23. #18203
    3andMe's Avatar
    3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    21,513

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    I watch Bill Maher in the middle of the night when I'm nursing Sawyer because dbf doesn't enjoy it but I love the show.
    Don't you feel a little dirty when you do that because of his breastfeeding diatribe?


  24. #18204
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dana_renay View Post


    All you Netflix users that get bizarre recommendations because you share your account with the rest of your family - there is a solution. You can actually set up multiple profiles for your account. You can even set up a profile for your kids with parental controls on the ratings. Each profile gets separate recommendations, so you might actually get suggestions for a movie *you* want to watch!

    ETA: I always want to join this thread, but I can't keep up!
    Welcome!

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  25. #18205

    Default

    I checked out the netflix thing and I can only have two names on it with the type of account we have, and I can't figure out if I can move movies from one person's list to another or if I have to add them fresh, but that is pretty neat. I'll probably put Josh's movies on my list, since I don't have many movies for just me.
    I feel like a bum today. I don't have any money to spend right now and there's nothing free that I feel like doing in 40 degree weather LOL

  26. #18206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    Don't you feel a little dirty when you do that because of his breastfeeding diatribe?
    Touche!
    I should but I don't! I certainly don't agree with everything he says but I do enjoy his rhetoric, even when he's comparing breastfeeding to masturbation.

  27. #18207

    Default

    I don't really like Debra either, but I care what happens to her. I think they wrote her to be the quintessential annoying little sister. She is so awkward and strident and loud. I find her potty mouth annoying, which is ridiculous because I have quite a mouth on me at times. But overall, I do like her because she is muddling along doing her utmost to live up to her ideals.

    We just finished Spartacus - unbelievably good show. It is super bloody and gory, though. Kind of shocking at first, but it's like a comic book almost - so over the top it is funny at times. Also - lots and lots and lots of pretty explicit sex and some full frontal nudity from boys and girls. But the story is really well done and it is so much fun to watch these characters!

    "Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov


  28. #18208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by katycat24 View Post
    I don't really like Debra either, but I care what happens to her. I think they wrote her to be the quintessential annoying little sister. She is so awkward and strident and loud. I find her potty mouth annoying, which is ridiculous because I have quite a mouth on me at times. But overall, I do like her because she is muddling along doing her utmost to live up to her ideals.

    We just finished Spartacus - unbelievably good show. It is super bloody and gory, though. Kind of shocking at first, but it's like a comic book almost - so over the top it is funny at times. Also - lots and lots and lots of pretty explicit sex and some full frontal nudity from boys and girls. But the story is really well done and it is so much fun to watch these characters!

    Did you finish the first or second season?
    On a side note, the woman who played Lila on Dexter a few seasons ago was on Spartacus!

  29. #18209
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    In a van, DOWN BY THE RIVER!
    Posts
    8,435

    Default

    I'm back from our stay-cation and we had a great time! Both the boys loved the pool and seeing the animals at the zoo.

    We're going to the US at the end of May for 2 weeks. We're hiring a cabin that's just outside of the town where my parents live that has a swimmig pool and is in a nice scenic place. I'm really looking forward to it...seeing family and eating GOOD food! LOL

    I've not kept up with AI or any US shows lately. The only thing we currently watch is The Event; oh, and I've been watching season 1 of Battle Star Galactica, which I've been meaning to talk about on here since it was this thread that inspired me to watch it...it's an interesting show! I was surprised by how religious it seems to be.

    On the deoderant thing, as long as I shave my pits regularly, I don't have to wear deoderant, so I've not worn it in years.

    Hey Dana! Glad you've joined the thread.

    Chrissy, I'm glad Bobbie has found a good'n!

    I hope I didn't miss anyone out in this response; I'm tired now, though, from unpacking, so gonna hit the hay now...lol

  30. #18210
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Your cabin sounds wonderful! I hope you have a great time!!

    I used to be the same way about simply shaving & not needing deodorant. I don't know if age or weight gain changed it. I haven't tried to go without it since I lost that weight though. Maybe I should.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •