Page 600 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 1005005505905985996006016026106507001100 ... LastLast
Results 17,971 to 18,000 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    That's sad.
    I'm watching Idol...they're singing songs from their birth years. I'm prepared to feel very old.
    Ugh, I hate hearing them sing songs I listened to in High School (or College) as their birth year songs. Definitely makes me feel old.

It's not on here yet for another 1.5 hours.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Ugh, I hate hearing them sing songs I listened to in High School (or College) as their birth year songs. Definitely makes me feel old.

It's not on here yet for another 1.5 hours.
    Don't worry, I won't say anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    I am really annoyed with my work's technology department (again). They installed new web filters and it blocked this site: http://speech-language-therapy.com/

I asked them to un-block it and I apparently have to submit a justification form including my name, grade level taught (the drop-down menu gives Kindergarten-12th grad) and click all the boxes below that say: 1. I am a teacher, 2. This content is appropriate for my student's instructional level and is written into my lesson plans, etc.

1. Iam not a teacher, and 2. I don't write lesson plans or provide instruction to students, and 3. I work with the district's special ed preschool evaluation program. Which apparently the technology department is unaware even exists. And apparently since we don't exist we have no need for quality information to help us do our job. Unbelievable. And shouldn't teachers have access to information for their own professional knowledge and not just sites for the children to look at? That sort of thinking is why education in this country is in such a pathetic state.
    Just to play devil's advocate and stick up for my geekers, I have to say from an IT perspective, their employer is all about the network and security first. I work at Cornell, but the education and departments and the rolls each 'user' plays in the system are not foremost in our minds. It's much easier to block the entire WWW and then let in a web site on a case by case basis. There has to be a tracking system in place in case someone opens up a site that ends up taking down the network. IT needs to be able to track why that site was allowed...there won't be any room for finger pointing or 'he said/she said' There will be a documented trail.

As for knowing all the rolls...Just today I learned a title of a position that I've supported for nearly 3 years now. I've always just referred to her as one of the admin assistants, but she's actually a project manager. What her exact duties are is beyond me. No one fills IT in on that kind of thing, so creating a form for all our people to fill out that would apply in every case would be nearly impossible. I can guarantee that no matter how much thought and questioning surveys I sent out to the managers, someone somewhere will read my thing and say, "I don't apply to any of these!"

IT isn't evil...they're just typically cut off from what the rest of their agency does. It's not always through any fault of their own either. Managers are generally reticent in relying vital information or assuming they already know it.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Oh, and just because a website is named something that appears legit, it doesn't mean it is. It isn't as easy as allowing all speech-language related domain names because anyone can create a web site using those words or combination of words. It doesn't mean they're not hosting malware and viruses, just waiting for some sucker to come and visit.

As far as AI...not my favorite night. There were a few good performances, but I thought a lot of them sucked. A couple of them outright sucked but got raving reviews from the judges. That's all I'll say until tomorrow.

chrissy, I am sad to read all you've got to deal with. I wrote a few paragraphs, but lost my connection and lost it all. Boo!

It's been mad busy over here. Bodhi's program at the local school was canceled last Friday due to the tsunami warning, and it seems we've been catching up on all the things we had to put off ever since.

Be well, mamas!

Chrissy, I'm not knocking IT people in general, really I'm not. I understand about the security risks and for a school district in particular, it's as much about blocking profanity, etc. as it is viruses and I get that even though I'm not a fan of censorship. I had no problem when they asked me to submit the form. It was just the way the form was worded. Seriously, teachers are the only people in the entire district allowed to access the internet and only for the purpose of direct instruction? Even not knowing what all the departments are or what they do, you have to imagine there is support staff (i.e. the principals, office managers, or even the IT department) that have legitimate, work-related, non-lesson-plan based reasons to access the internet. The statement that only websites used by teachers for direct instruction would be approved was what made me angry. It wasn't that they blocked the site in the first place.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 03-16-2011 at 10:29 PM.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Knowing the real geeks like I do, I still think they're just clueless and probably didn't even think about what anyone else in the building does. Some I work with are only faintly aware we have professors...

I mean, we have grad students that teach as TA's. Nothing new, universities do it all the time. But when we moved to the Exchange email system, no one in the IT department thought about what to do for the TA's as far as email at Cornell. It was a huge problem because the students have email through Cmail (contracted through Gmail of course), but for those students that also teach? What of them? And the emails were assigned based on NetID, so they couldn't have both. They planned the exchange rollout for years, literally, and no one at any of their meetings said hey, what are we going to do about TA's?

That's the level of cluelessness that geeks are capable of. It's universal I think.

And I didn't think you were knocking them. I really don't think people realize how much the IT depts work in a scientific way and spend very thought into what their employer actually does for a living. I imagine some head honcho said once in a meeting, "I don't want anyone but teachers to access the internet" and bam, it was done. It seems the higher ups are often the most clueless. Geeks just don't have a chance.

Sorry Mandy, I fear I'm coming off as defensive and really I'm not. Sometimes I'm told from the Powers That Be that something is going to be done this way and I instinctively know it's not going to go over well...but what can you do? I'm sure we've all been there.
    Last edited by missychrissy; 03-17-2011 at 06:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    That's the level of cluelessness that geeks are capable of. It's universal I think.
    True. I have worked with developers who have no problems mathematically inverting a sphere, and yet they put their pants on backward every morning.

As far as AI...not my favorite night. There were a few good performances, but I thought a lot of them sucked. A couple of them outright sucked but got raving reviews from the judges. That's all I'll say until tomorrow.
    I agree! I think the judges are way too nice, but I still don't miss Simon.

I like Simon Cowell; I'm glad he's sticking with the UK X Factor.

I'll have to show you guys Cash's room; I did a Dr. Seuss room and instead of just ordering it all done for me, I've done a lot of creative things with it....I'll post some pics when I'm finished with it!

I can't wait to see it!

I keep coming across this story, and I can't help but think I'm supposed to learn from it or something I thought I'd pass it along, maybe it will help someone else, too.

An old Cherokee chief was teaching his grandson about life...

"A fight is going on inside me," he said to the boy.
    "It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves.

"One is evil - he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, self-doubt, and ego.

"The other is good - he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith.

"This same fight is going on inside you - and inside every other person, too."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather,
    "Which wolf will win?"

The old chief simply replied,
    "The one you feed."

Author Unknown

I'm in pretty much total agreement with you. I didn't see everyone since I was putting together my new vacuum and testing it out during commercials but I saw most of them.

Btw....the new vacuum REALLY sucks.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    I like Simon Cowell; I'm glad he's sticking with the UK X Factor.

I'll have to show you guys Cash's room; I did a Dr. Seuss room and instead of just ordering it all done for me, I've done a lot of creative things with it....I'll post some pics when I'm finished with it!
    Can't wait to see it! I will be doing a snoopy room myself and my stuff should be arriving today...except I'm not creative and talented like that so I basically ordered the room. I think that I'm getting like 17 pieces or something like that. Course it might be a while before we put the room together!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Kate, I love it.
    I'm getting ready to start Buddism for Mothers. You ready??

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Kate, I love it.
    I'm getting ready to start Buddism for Mothers. You ready??
    My library hasn't contacted me to say it's in yet! If Josh wants to go today I will stop by and ask if it's in.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I'm in pretty much total agreement with you. I didn't see everyone since I was putting together my new vacuum and testing it out during commercials but I saw most of them.

Btw....the new vacuum REALLY sucks.
    Ha! In a good way, I'm assuming!

I know at large libraries, they try to find IT people who also have an MLIS degree. Otherwise they just don't get what we need. I'm pretty lucky in that our library is small....but our main library is a pretty major one and they take care of out web and database needs.
    And I'm VERY thankful that our filters are very limited. I have hardly ever come across a site that was denied. I couldn't imagine not being able to research erectile dysfunction, anal cancer, breast cancer, testicular issues, STD's (and OMG, there is this book that we have called STD color atlas....all teens should have to look at that because their are full on color pictures of very nasty STD cases) sex change operations....once of the journals I stock is called sexual dysfunction and compulsivity.

Now if only I could get publishers to chat with librarians more. They are the most irritating thing about my job. Name changes, supplements, weird numbering systems....i have one BMJ that is so awful, I removed it from our interlibrary loan channels. I literally cannot find articles....their print is just a bit more than abstracts but none of us can figure out their numbering to find the articles online. I'm just not going to spend 20 minutes finding an article for someone that isn't on our staff.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

That quote is neat Kate! I like it.

I can't wait to see both Cash's room pics and Simon on his X-factor show.

I'm tired. Still.

Are you still working out, Chrissy? Sometimes if I'm tired and I reeeeeeally don't want to, I go for a walk or go to the gym and I feel better. Is it nice out there? It's sunny and near 60 here.

22. Default

I confess it is going to take me forever to catch up in here...

We had wonderful flights, and the girls did great! I was able to kick back and read on my kindle!

We saw B..... He and his dad wanted to take the girls swimming, so I had to buy the girls swimsuits. I figured I would sit on the side and read while they swam, and then thought well... I better buy one for myself cause if I don't, the girls won't get in the pool with B and his dad.......

Good thing I did, cause neither one of those BRIGHT ones brought swim trunks....

Good to see you again! Glad you had fun with the girls! Boo on B and his dad. I don't think Rich would have thought about swim trunks either.

I don't have time Kate, and frankly I'm so beat by the time I get home I've been near tears. Hopefully it's just seasonal and will pass when spring finally gets here.

I'm sorry Chrissy I hope it's just seasonal too.
    I just got the e mail that Buddhism for Mothers is ready-I'll get it tomorrow--
    I just had a sex talk with Joshua we went to the library and Josh said "I want to learn about something" so we went to the librarian and she showed him around. Turned out he wanted books about the body so he picked one about breathing and one general one. They're both pretty advanced but they have good pictures of plastic models of all the systems and stuff. We got to the part about reproduction and he started asking lots of questions so I explained everything. He says he wants to help make a baby someday
    Last edited by daylilies; 03-17-2011 at 12:06 PM.

That's cute!!

Today is warmer out. I do feel better when I'm outside. It's probably just a combination of too long of a winter, stress with my older kids, and the time change.

I was so proud. We were just looking at the story books and he said "I don't want this kind of book, I want to learn about something" I just felt so proud. I hope he always wants to learn about something. And then how seriously he took the whole talk about making babies, he kept listening and nodding and asking follow up questions. It was a great moment. The last few days, I have just been noticing how much he is growing up.
    It's gorgeous out here today.
    Last edited by daylilies; 03-17-2011 at 01:21 PM.

That's really sweet. He melts my heart

Glad to see you on here, Ash; and glad that flight was well and you had a decent trip.

That's very impressive about Josh, Kate. He sounds very inquisitive, which I think is a great thing at that age.

I'll post pics of Cash's room next week; we still need to put one last coat of paint on 2 of the walls before all the decorations can go up, so we'll do that next week when my Rich is off work and then the room will finally be complete!

I have got to get myself to the gym and doing my workout dvd's ASAP; we're off to see my parents in the summer and I'll be mortified if I don't tone up a bit before then...my sister is naturally very slim, so I don't want to look like a dumpling next to her!

Chrissy, I hope you can get some rest and renew your energy.
    Ash, how were the girls when they saw their dad? How was that for you?

So, I've been given some great advice about my concerns regarding Savana's behaviors. (Thank you, AbbeysMom) My whole approach has changed just over the past 2 days and I am already seeing small changes. It's not so much in the behaviors themselves, although some good things happening there. More so in her general demeanor. It's as though I opened her up again. She's not walking around with a scowl. I really think she was desperate for me to help her. One of the things suggested was to ask her to wait five minutes before washing her hands. She still does it, but she does wait. Then tonight at bedtime she said, "You know what I don't like about myself? That I always wash my hands. I don't actually even like washing my hands but I still always do it." Then after a moment she said, "Right now I want to go wash my hands because I touched my eye and i had an eye booger."
    I said, "nah, just stay here so I can tickle your back." She can't resist that.
    I heard her whisper a few times that she really wanted to wash her hands. But she didn't go. And now she's sleeping. Small victory.

All this time I just let her do whatever because i thought drawing attention to it wouuld make it worse. Now I feel like she so badly wants someone to help her stop.
    Last edited by Bridget; 03-17-2011 at 08:00 PM.

I'm glad you have a new perspective on it. Small changes always seem to make a big difference!