Page 589 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 894895395795875885895905915996396891089 ... LastLast
Results 17,641 to 17,670 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

  1. #17641
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    I'd say Jesi is my klutz. She's the only one (thus far) that has fractured anything. When she was about 8 we rushed down to her room because she was screaming. She was dangling by her leg from the ladder to her bunk bed. I'm sorry, even now I feel compelled to laugh even though her thigh had a mega bruise on it. It was just hysterical to see. Poor kid.

    Another time she tipped our dishwasher over on top of herself. That one seriously could have killed her and I haven't the foggiest idea how she accomplished that. I heard a tremendous crash and went running to the kitchen and saw the dishwasher on it's face with her legs coming out the top of the door. Now looking back, that one is funny too...but only because she wasn't seriously hurt.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  2. #17642

    Default

    Yeah...it's sad but it's kind of funny when they are klutzy. I've laughed before when he's fallen and other people are like "OMG is he okay?" because I know he's okay. But I'm sure I look callous when I'm just chuckling at him LOL

    This girl Karen on AI...I just had a moment because she was going on about being a Latina artist and then she picked Hero? And I was like "She should mix some Spanish into this" and then she did! Good girl!

  3. #17643
    3andMe's Avatar
    3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    21,430

    Default

    Claire tends to get a lot of bruises, but I think she's pretty graceful. She just tends to be super-fast and very reckless, so she falls occasionally while jumping and spinning off the couch or running around with her eyes closed (she ran into a street pole the other day that way). Ronin is not as graceful, and is more careful, and falls about the same amount.


  4. #17644

    Default

    It's hard for me not to laugh when Savana falls because she's all legs and arms everywhere and she's very Chris Farley-ish when she jumps up saying, "I'm okay!"

  5. #17645

    Default

    Okay, if these contestants have watched any AI at all they know they're looking for originality. "Make it your own" is like the show's slogan. Why are people still singing these flat imitations of the originals?

  6. #17646
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,475

    Default

    OMG I'm so irritated with our governor weasal. Part of his bill/budget now is also to stop requiring insurance companies to pay for birth control pills. Never mind that many women use them for medical conditions.
    So let's see, take away 900 million for education, take away money from medicaid....and now let's stop requiring insurance companies to cover birth control so women end up with more children than they can afford or want.

    I don't think that I have ever hated a politician so much. Sucks that we have to have him in office a year before we can recall him. Already have my name on the list to be contacted for recall though....and pretty much everyone I know would sign it too.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  7. #17647
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    But Jennifer, it's simple. Don't have sex!

    Seriously, I wonder what planet these people live on. I'm bent at him too. How the heck did he ever get elected?

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  8. #17648

    Default

    Okay so, I watched AI and basically I feel like a lot of the girls were good, but most were too theatrical or jazzy to be an AI winner. Karen, the girl who did Hero, was very good. She took the song and 'made it her own' by mixing in some Spanish.
    The other half of the girls who were not too theatrical were boring! You can't just take a good song and sing it just like the original on AI. And I like country music, but I don't feel like it belongs on AI. Scotty "Baby lock them doors" McCreery is good but I think he would do fine making it in the country business without going on AI first.

  9. #17649
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    I think we're on the same page with the girls Kate. Most might have awesome voices, but their song choices resulted in me having my mind wander.

    I'll be shocked if Scotty McDreamy doesn't end up with a country record label. I'm sure he has to follow through at this point with AI because of contractual obligations, but I can't see how Nashville will fail to notice him.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  10. #17650

    Default

    LOL
    Did he dye his hair or something? I thought his hair was more red in the auditions. Something about country guys turns me on and turns me off at the same time. I don't like to be stereotypical but I can't help but feel like under the sexiness they're ultra conservative

  11. #17651
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    But Jennifer, it's simple. Don't have sex!

    Seriously, I wonder what planet these people live on. I'm bent at him too. How the heck did he ever get elected?
    He couldn't even freaking graduate college and dropped out. Sorry but I'm not a genius or even close....and college is NOT that hard. And he basically sucked at being county exec in Milwaukee. I have no idea how he got elected. I could see say Mr Menard voting for him...billionaire and big business owner. But there aren't that many billionaires in WI. he doesn't have the average working poor or working middle class interests in mind at all....and yet a bunch of them still voted for him anyway. Uggg.

    I hate when men try to make decisions about women's health. Birth control pills are used for more than just preventing pregnancy.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  12. #17652
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,475

    Default

    My MIL and I differ on AI. She will say someone is so talented and good, they should go ahead. I look and think....is this someone I would actually buy music from. Like the guy that did the song, house is not a home without a chair or whatever it is....he's got a good voice but I wouldn't buy his songs. I could see buying the guy that did rod stewart (love the scratchy voice), maybe the rocker guy and maybe the guy at the end with the beard (who by the way looks a lot like a young version of my dad except my dad was taller and a bit bigger and had more reddish hair).
    For the girls, I'm not totally sure that I would buy any of their albums at this point.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  13. #17653
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    LOL
    Did he dye his hair or something? I thought his hair was more red in the auditions. Something about country guys turns me on and turns me off at the same time. I don't like to be stereotypical but I can't help but feel like under the sexiness they're ultra conservative
    I get what you're saying. Toby Keith is such a loudmouth that even though I have a tendency to like his songs, I cannot stand him because of his conservative ways. For the most part though, in my dreamy imagination none of the 'good ol boys' of country are conservative. Just sexy! lol

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I hate when men try to make decisions about women's health. Birth control pills are used for more than just preventing pregnancy.
    Yeah, I think birth control should be covered even FOR preventing pregnancy. The idea that only people that can afford their own contraception is just...ignorant.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I could see buying the guy that did rod stewart (love the scratchy voice)...
    I thought he was weird! I didn't like him at all, but I can't say if it was his voice, looks, or how he moved around the stage. I love Rod Stewart, and I could hear that kinda thing in him, but it wasn't enough to overcome everything else that turned me off about him.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  14. #17654
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,475

    Default

    I still wish that we had more than really one chance on the big stage with an audience before half of them get chopped. I didn't pay that much attention to the early rounds so not do not know many of them.

    If I find out someone is conservative....loses all sex appeal to me. Except Alex P. Keaton on family ties. LOL Though I think that he was more just a fiscal conservative...I could take that better than a social one I think.
    Country boys...doesn't do it for me. I like a nerd. I like a man who is smart. Dh doesn't really believe me but the fact that he was in the chess club in school and liked to actually program his graphing calculator for fun.....OMG what a turn on. LOL I need a man that likes to read, is logical (at least my kind of logical LOL), and can carry on a deep philosophical conversation.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  15. #17655
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    I would argue that my own personal 'country boy' can do all those things (except play chess) and is a guy-guy. That's my affectionate phrase for him, "guy-guy" I like a strong man that's physically capable of building a house by himself, with just a hammer and nails if need be. I dunno why...probably because my father and both grandfathers were like that. But just because they wear jeans and flannel shirts, it certainly doesn't mean they're not philosophical or intelligent. Or even conservative for that matter. I know my father isn't.

    Maybe it's the country chic in me, but I love going for hair raising rides on snowmobiles and 4-wheelers. I love horses and barns and cows. All those things represent 'sexy' to me on a very basic, instinctive level.
    Last edited by missychrissy; 03-03-2011 at 11:46 AM.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  16. #17656

    Default

    Grrrr. I just lost a few paragraphs when I hit the extra "Back" button on my keyboard.

    I was just trying to thank chrissy, Jennifer & gwenn for their comments on crate-training. I think Lulu (the schnoodle) will be in her crate awhile. I think the schnauzer (terrier) in her gives her a stubborn streak. DH & I always wonder whether her stubborness is a sign of above-average intelligence or the exact opposite. When we first rescued her, she was a pneumonia baby, and was completely housebroken when she arrived at the house. She even asked to be let outside to cough up some stuff from her lungs on her first day. We were convinced she was a genius. She started showing off her mischievous, disobedient streak after we adopted the bigger dog. I'm afraid she's maybe one of those dogs that would be happier in a 1-dog household. She's definitely the alpha, though. She goes through doors before the other dog, has to be ahead of him on leash walks, and whenever there's food, she gets first pick. DH tried to discipline the dominance out of her, but I had to explain to him that it's better to let them set the pack order. He's a full-on Dog Whisperer convert at this point. I think he knows more about Cesar Milan's way than I do.

    Bridget, mostly I just sit back and learn from obviously thoughtful and skilled moms like you, so I don't have much to add to Lydia's spot-on advice. But I will say that the fact that you're questioning yourself shows that you're already more conscientious than 75% of the moms out there. Even before I read that you were having Savana "earn" her toys back, I was telling myself that's what I would do. I also agree that her tantrum was probably more typical child behavior than something she learned from watching you. I think it's important that children not just see conflict, but also watch and learn constructive ways to resolve it. So you're right on the mark there.

    Today I am very frustrated at the office. And I shouldn't be. By this time, I should be used to frequent miscommunications and just how hard it is to talk in English about stuff that's way more easily stated in code. I think I've made the - perhaps dangerous - decision to stop asking some of my teammates for their opinions on things. Some of their feedback is helpful, but it also often produces more suggestions from them that cloud the discussions. I really shouldn't be phased by this sort of thing anymore, but the truth is, maybe I'm upset because I'm letting them make me question my own abilities. I don't know, sometimes I feel like everyone is comfortable enough with the facts that they can talk about things imprecisely and everyone in the room still "gets it". It's just quite annoying when people know that it's an important distinction to specifically say "XYZ is coming from System 3" and they use language like "they are sending the info to us". It just opens the door to more questios than there were before. Either everyone is nodding their heads when they don't get it, but don't bother to demand more clarity, or I'm the only one in the room that doesn't get it.

    Um, I think that was just a rant. Sorry about that... and the fact that my post was really long again. I feel better anyway.

  17. #17657

    Default

    I think my DH is country too, even though he is from Chicago. He loves all things outdoors and building things when he is in the mood for it and lots of typical male things. I call him my "manly man" which he doesn't like LOL. Oddly enough, I don't like too many outdoorsy things and have thought that camping is akin to voluntary homelessness. We are planning a trip to Tallulah Falls this summer and only because they have 2 bedroom cabins equipped with TV, air conditioning, and a full kitchen for $125 a night, otherwise, I'd let DH, Ky and my nephew (who's visiting us this summer) go by themselves. DH is the manly man, and Ky is a boy's boy and Elle is my girly girl (and doesn't like outside much either, though she is not afraid of bugs or anything like that she just doesn't like them, like me, and will tell you she doesn't like it is the most important thing that you need to know at the moment, the other day she told me while watching a nature show about spiders "mommy, you know, I don't like spiders" and she was VERY serious). So I admire the manliness of DH and the boyish nature of Ky but I am not into a lot of what they are into and really I don't consider myself all that girlish in a traditional sense.

    Erin

  18. #17658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Today I am very frustrated at the office. And I shouldn't be. By this time, I should be used to frequent miscommunications and just how hard it is to talk in English about stuff that's way more easily stated in code. I think I've made the - perhaps dangerous - decision to stop asking some of my teammates for their opinions on things. Some of their feedback is helpful, but it also often produces more suggestions from them that cloud the discussions. I really shouldn't be phased by this sort of thing anymore, but the truth is, maybe I'm upset because I'm letting them make me question my own abilities. I don't know, sometimes I feel like everyone is comfortable enough with the facts that they can talk about things imprecisely and everyone in the room still "gets it". It's just quite annoying when people know that it's an important distinction to specifically say "XYZ is coming from System 3" and they use language like "they are sending the info to us". It just opens the door to more questios than there were before. Either everyone is nodding their heads when they don't get it, but don't bother to demand more clarity, or I'm the only one in the room that doesn't get it.

    Um, I think that was just a rant. Sorry about that... and the fact that my post was really long again. I feel better anyway.
    I understand. Somtimes a lot of suggestions seem to take us away from directly accomplishing what needs to be done, if that's what you're saying. I have been getting more involved in PTSA since Ky's school if focused on having us become more like family than just a professional parent/educator distant sort of relationship, which is good, but honestly the people in PTSA are always suggesting multiple thing to do about everything we are suppose to be discussing and I just want to scream at them. It is very frustrating. I can't imaging having to deal with this sort of thing at work.

    I love my job, we only have 7 people in our office and usually only 3 of us are here at all plus we all have different things to work on so no one in this office (we do have to get feedback from the property managers who work for us though) has the opportunity to interject their suggestions. I'm the only one who works in all areas since I am the support person for everyone, but they all just ask me and I tell them what I think and they either take my suggestion or not.

    Erin

  19. #17659
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I would argue that my own personal 'country boy' can do all those things (except play chess) and is a guy-guy. That's my affectionate phrase for him, "guy-guy" I like a strong man that's physically capable of building a house by himself, with just a hammer and nails if need be. I dunno why...probably because my father and both grandfathers were like that. But just because they wear jeans and flannel shirts, it certainly doesn't mean they're not philosophical or intelligent. Or even conservative for that matter. I know my father isn't.

    Maybe it's the country chic in me, but I love going for hair raising rides on snowmobiles and 4-wheelers. I love horses and barns and cows. All those things represent 'sexy' to me on a very basic, instinctive level.
    I think that a lot of times, girls tend to be attracted to men that in ways remind them of dad (or another important man to them growing up). I don't mind jeans and flannels...mostly what mine lives in and what I grew up in my dad. I do find a man in a suit pretty hot. I just didn't grow up in the country and when I picture that, what comes into my head is conservative bible belt. And I don't like country music. I grew up with rock and some pop. I was kind of looking for someone a lot like my daddy except much more of a bookworm/intellectual. My dad didn't fish or hunt or even watch sports....he liked music (now Dad thinks he's a little monster) and liked tech toys. I'm 32 and have a VCR my whole life, CD's and DVD's when they were really new, dad had an atari when I was very little and a video camera (my life is on film), and a computer since I was in grade school (OMG was that computer expensive and so primitive to what we have now). Dad got an iPod and cell phone before most people had them....I'm just shocked he hasn't talked mom into an iPad yet.
    I have never been an ATV or snowmobile. Dh has but that was before we met. We would be much more likely to go to a museum or see a musical. I have been on a horse before but have never been up close to a cow....and I live in the dairy state!
    As far as fixing stuff....one reason we built a house was to avoid having to fix stuff up right away. OMG it was such a procedure with the two of us just to change the oil in our new snow blower....took over an hour and that was with instruction books. Getting the pilot light going in the fireplace was like a 30 minute ordeal.
    I would never call him a guy guy. He likes football and baseball....but yeah when we moved here and all his coworkers were talking about hunting and where he hunted....his response was the grocery store.

    I was really snobby when I was looking for dates 13 years ago. I wouldn't have gone out with a guy who wasn't in college or hadn't graduated from college...not a tech school either but had to be a traditional bachelors. I would not go with a republican at all and I wouldn't have dated a religious guy. Oh and I couldn't have dated someone military or a hunter since I cannot stand guns. My other biggie was he couldn't be homophobic. It's amazing I ever got married!
    I really had pictured myself back than eventually married to a professor. And he did consider that but didn't really enjoy being a teaching assistant much. And I'm good with him working in manufacturing now...he doesn't use his degrees but I still like knowing he has them. And that I could say (and have), let's both read Plato's Republic or some Neitzsche and talk about it....and we both find it fun.

    It would be handy though to have someone who knew how to fix things or didn't complain the whole time when we have yet another piece of furniture to put together!

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  20. #17660
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    Oddly enough, I don't like too many outdoorsy things and have thought that camping is akin to voluntary homelessness.
    That is a great comment! I have never been camping other than sleeping out in my backyard in the tent but my parents left the back door unlocked so we could use the bathroom and my dad even brought a small TV out to us.

    I don't like bugs either and I do not like being dirty. Going to try a veggie garden this summer but I think that I will probably wear gloves so I don't get dirt all over my hands.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  21. #17661
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,646

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Country boys...doesn't do it for me. I like a nerd. I like a man who is smart. Dh doesn't really believe me but the fact that he was in the chess club in school and liked to actually program his graphing calculator for fun.....OMG what a turn on. LOL I need a man that likes to read, is logical (at least my kind of logical LOL), and can carry on a deep philosophical conversation.
    My DH is all of those things plus a conservative boy from Texas who joined the military straight out of high school! And he's deeply, deeply offended by the popular perception of country boys or southerners as stupid. DH's brother is a member of Mensa.

    Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I would argue that my own personal 'country boy' can do all those things (except play chess) and is a guy-guy. That's my affectionate phrase for him, "guy-guy" I like a strong man that's physically capable of building a house by himself, with just a hammer and nails if need be. I dunno why...probably because my father and both grandfathers were like that. But just because they wear jeans and flannel shirts, it certainly doesn't mean they're not philosophical or intelligent. Or even conservative for that matter. I know my father isn't.

    Maybe it's the country chic in me, but I love going for hair raising rides on snowmobiles and 4-wheelers. I love horses and barns and cows. All those things represent 'sexy' to me on a very basic, instinctive level.
    Totally know what you mean. But I'm also attracted to the opposite - writers/musicians who wouldn't know what to do with themselves outdoors. Not sure what the common ground is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    I think my DH is country too, even though he is from Chicago. He loves all things outdoors and building things when he is in the mood for it and lots of typical male things. I call him my "manly man" which he doesn't like LOL. Oddly enough, I don't like too many outdoorsy things and have thought that camping is akin to voluntary homelessness. We are planning a trip to Tallulah Falls this summer and only because they have 2 bedroom cabins equipped with TV, air conditioning, and a full kitchen for $125 a night, otherwise, I'd let DH, Ky and my nephew (who's visiting us this summer) go by themselves. DH is the manly man, and Ky is a boy's boy and Elle is my girly girl (and doesn't like outside much either, though she is not afraid of bugs or anything like that she just doesn't like them, like me, and will tell you she doesn't like it is the most important thing that you need to know at the moment, the other day she told me while watching a nature show about spiders "mommy, you know, I don't like spiders" and she was VERY serious). So I admire the manliness of DH and the boyish nature of Ky but I am not into a lot of what they are into and really I don't consider myself all that girlish in a traditional sense.

    Erin
    I know what you mean. I enjoyed camping growing up, but I'm not crazy about spending time outdoors (I think moving to AZ killed my love of the great outdoors, actually) and I'm not overly girly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I think that a lot of times, girls tend to be attracted to men that in ways remind them of dad (or another important man to them growing up). I don't mind jeans and flannels...mostly what mine lives in and what I grew up in my dad. I do find a man in a suit pretty hot. I just didn't grow up in the country and when I picture that, what comes into my head is conservative bible belt. And I don't like country music. I grew up with rock and some pop. I was kind of looking for someone a lot like my daddy except much more of a bookworm/intellectual. My dad didn't fish or hunt or even watch sports....he liked music (now Dad thinks he's a little monster) and liked tech toys. I'm 32 and have a VCR my whole life, CD's and DVD's when they were really new, dad had an atari when I was very little and a video camera (my life is on film), and a computer since I was in grade school (OMG was that computer expensive and so primitive to what we have now). Dad got an iPod and cell phone before most people had them....I'm just shocked he hasn't talked mom into an iPad yet.
    I've heard that you look for someone either exactly like your dad or the totally opposite. I've always gone for the opposite. My dad is a physicist with few social skills. One of the smartest people I've ever met and very fun/funny when he wants to be but I grew up around too many physicists/engineers to find the type attractive. They're all completely single minded. My dad is very driven and has a hard time enjoying himself (example: he didn't buy a record player until after he finished graduate school, despite the fact that he likes music, married a musician, and worked as a DJ at the campus classical radio station). I couldn't be with someone like that.

    We had a computer in 1983!

    I didn't grow up listening to country music (actually didn't "get" it at all) but DH has taught me to love some of it.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 03-03-2011 at 05:29 PM.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  22. #17662

    Default

    DH is nothing like my dad. In fact I often wish he were more like my dad (minus the cheating, of course)
    I guess what they do have in common is that they're uncomfortable in social situations, but can talk pretty well with 1 to 5 other people.

  23. #17663
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Today I am very frustrated at the office. And I shouldn't be. By this time, I should be used to frequent miscommunications and just how hard it is to talk in English about stuff that's way more easily stated in code. I think I've made the - perhaps dangerous - decision to stop asking some of my teammates for their opinions on things. Some of their feedback is helpful, but it also often produces more suggestions from them that cloud the discussions. I really shouldn't be phased by this sort of thing anymore, but the truth is, maybe I'm upset because I'm letting them make me question my own abilities. I don't know, sometimes I feel like everyone is comfortable enough with the facts that they can talk about things imprecisely and everyone in the room still "gets it". It's just quite annoying when people know that it's an important distinction to specifically say "XYZ is coming from System 3" and they use language like "they are sending the info to us". It just opens the door to more questios than there were before. Either everyone is nodding their heads when they don't get it, but don't bother to demand more clarity, or I'm the only one in the room that doesn't get it.

    Um, I think that was just a rant. Sorry about that... and the fact that my post was really long again. I feel better anyway.
    I know exactly what you mean and can I just say thank you for posting that. I always chalked my own 'ignorance' up to the fact that most the IT guys here that blather on and on at the meetings have been here since the 80's (when I was a small child) and I only have a 2 year degree. They leave me far behind sometimes...but I've been able to fake it and flub along well enough that I don't think anyone really suspects how clueless I am sometimes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    Oddly enough, I don't like too many outdoorsy things and have thought that camping is akin to voluntary homelessness.

    Erin
    omg! I love camping.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I think that a lot of times, girls tend to be attracted to men that in ways remind them of dad (or another important man to them growing up). I don't mind jeans and flannels...mostly what mine lives in and what I grew up in my dad. I do find a man in a suit pretty hot. I just didn't grow up in the country and when I picture that, what comes into my head is conservative bible belt. And I don't like country music. I grew up with rock and some pop. I was kind of looking for someone a lot like my daddy except much more of a bookworm/intellectual. My dad didn't fish or hunt or even watch sports....he liked music (now Dad thinks he's a little monster) and liked tech toys. I'm 32 and have a VCR my whole life, CD's and DVD's when they were really new, dad had an atari when I was very little and a video camera (my life is on film), and a computer since I was in grade school (OMG was that computer expensive and so primitive to what we have now). Dad got an iPod and cell phone before most people had them....I'm just shocked he hasn't talked mom into an iPad yet.
    I have never been an ATV or snowmobile. Dh has but that was before we met. We would be much more likely to go to a museum or see a musical. I have been on a horse before but have never been up close to a cow....and I live in the dairy state!
    As far as fixing stuff....one reason we built a house was to avoid having to fix stuff up right away. OMG it was such a procedure with the two of us just to change the oil in our new snow blower....took over an hour and that was with instruction books. Getting the pilot light going in the fireplace was like a 30 minute ordeal.
    I would never call him a guy guy. He likes football and baseball....but yeah when we moved here and all his coworkers were talking about hunting and where he hunted....his response was the grocery store.

    I was really snobby when I was looking for dates 13 years ago. I wouldn't have gone out with a guy who wasn't in college or hadn't graduated from college...not a tech school either but had to be a traditional bachelors. I would not go with a republican at all and I wouldn't have dated a religious guy. Oh and I couldn't have dated someone military or a hunter since I cannot stand guns. My other biggie was he couldn't be homophobic. It's amazing I ever got married!
    I really had pictured myself back than eventually married to a professor. And he did consider that but didn't really enjoy being a teaching assistant much. And I'm good with him working in manufacturing now...he doesn't use his degrees but I still like knowing he has them. And that I could say (and have), let's both read Plato's Republic or some Neitzsche and talk about it....and we both find it fun.

    It would be handy though to have someone who knew how to fix things or didn't complain the whole time when we have yet another piece of furniture to put together!
    My father is into music. He plays bass exceptionally well...everything from Lynyrd Skynyrd, to Charlie Daniels to Metallica. He's also pretty good at basic guitar and drums. He's very musical. He actually was paid pretty good to play in a band all throughout my childhood and had a 'gig' every Friday and Saturday night, as well as a benefit or jamboree to play each Sunday.

    Not only that, but he taught himself programming and wrote the programs where he worked on the CNC machine. I absolutely get my geekiness from him. He brought me home an old computer that saved its code on a cassette tape. It was a Tartan or something like that. I think I was 8 when he first taught me if/then/goto commands.

    I don't think my father has ever paid anyone to do anything for him-seriously. Carpentry, plumbing, electrical...he does it all. And he does it right too, none of that cob-job crap you see 'rednecks' homebuild. lol

    And like I said, he's not conservative at all. I'm not sure why, but Dad was always open minded about accepting people for who they are. That's probably the biggest lesson I've ever learned from him.

    He put me on a snowmobile when I was about 2 It was love from then on.
    Last edited by missychrissy; 03-03-2011 at 05:39 PM.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  24. #17664
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    It was a Tandy computer. I remember figuring out how to save and retrieve the programs from the cassette tape all by myself. It was geeky-love from then on.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  25. #17665

    Default

    I have no idea what you're talking about...LOL
    The first thing I remember with a computer is some weird thing where you type in commands and the little triangle goes around and makes a shape...but I don't remember what the commands were or anything.

  26. #17666
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    DH is nothing like my dad. In fact I often wish he were more like my dad (minus the cheating, of course)
    I guess what they do have in common is that they're uncomfortable in social situations, but can talk pretty well with 1 to 5 other people.
    My dh is a capable guy, like my dad, and not very social. That's about the end of their similarities though. Rich isn't geeky and although he likes music, he cannot play an instrument or dance to save his life. My dad can't dance well, but he will dance for fun when other bands are playing or someone else 'sets in' and plays his bass for a song or two.

    Rich is more conservative than my father, but I wouldn't call him conservative seriously. He's probably more an independent if we really broke it down. So compared to me he's conservative! lol

    I think my dad has more empathy for other people and their plight than Rich does, although Rich will help people out...even random strangers. I don't know how many times we've been driving around in bad weather and Rich will always stop and help if someone is stuck. My father helped many people financially through the years, where I don't think Rich would.

    I'm watching AI...I won't give it away though. I'll hold my thoughts till I know y'all have had an opportunity to watch it.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  27. #17667

    Default

    I was watching it, but I stopped around 9:20 because DH was done on the computer and we watched Kitchen Nightmares instead. I'll watch the rest while Josh is at school tomorrow.

    Oh, one thing I do like about DH is that he's also handy. He fixes things around the house, made a door for Josh's closet, knows how all the utilities work (it really helps that he's a cable/phone/internet guy!) And he'll paint a room, not without complaining though

  28. #17668
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    I can't paint anything without b!tchin about it either

    I just watched Jennifer Lopez's new music video. I'm in love! I guess that's my guilty pleasure, I love those nonsense, bass booming dance beats.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  29. #17669

    Default

    Where did you see the video? I can only find the teaser. I like songs like this too, for the gym.

  30. #17670
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,646

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I think my dad has more empathy for other people and their plight than Rich does, although Rich will help people out...even random strangers. I don't know how many times we've been driving around in bad weather and Rich will always stop and help if someone is stuck. My father helped many people financially through the years, where I don't think Rich would.
    One of the things I love most about DH is the way he is always ready to stop and help - anything from stray dogs to car accidents. I absolutely adore that about him. He'll give people money he really can't afford, also. Oh - and he is a real conservative!

    Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I'm watching AI...I won't give it away though. I'll hold my thoughts till I know y'all have had an opportunity to watch it.
    Appreciate it ... I'm still watching here. I'll hold my comments as well in case any West Coast lurkers are watching.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 03-03-2011 at 08:10 PM.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •