Page 588 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 884885385785865875885895905986386881088 ... LastLast
Results 17,611 to 17,640 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Ah, Lydia. Your post is making me cry! Thank you for saying all of that. It really makes me feel better, even though I just said I'm crying.
    And your new siggy is beautiful.

I love your new sig too Lydia! And I agree with Lydia, you're doing fine. I'm a total spaz with just one kid and I think anyone who has more than one is a superhero.

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Has anyone had luck breaking their doggy of carpet-peeing in the past and possibly have any other suggestions? She hasn't peed in the house in 5 years prior to this.
    My Missy (maltese poodle mix) suddenly started having accidents in the house and we had to start shutting her in our bedroom during the day and whenever we leave. As soon as we get up or home, she goes directly outside. That's all that we needed to do for her, but I was totally prepared to utilize the dog crate if that didn't work. imo, you can't go wrong with crate training and I don't think any dog is too old, however some may have other issues like anxiety...in that case, I honestly don't know what I'd do because the crate is everything I know about potty training a dog!

Bridget, I agree with everything Lydia said. You're a wonderful mom and person, and your children will emulate that. Savannah is still learning and developing, so she's going to have meltdowns and bad days. Heck, we all do. I'm sure this is a phase and I'm confident you'll work through it together. I would say that taking toys away is a good consequence, and earning them back is the right thing to do. We have to use what tools we can in order to teach consequences for their actions and behaviors.

I had a message on my home machine when I got home. My former employer, United Health Services, would like me to come in for an interview. Not sure how I feel about that, but I'm going to do the interview.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I told Claire I wanted to take some pictures of her with fruit so I could write about her meltdown last night. So she posed with some fruit (more pictures on my blog, and with her first ponytails ever) and then she ate it. I guess it was a short-lived issue. Either that or I explained it to her satisfaction.

So many things I want to respond to and I'm certain I'll forget most of them.

Bridget, I agree with Lydia. I think your method of handling it is perfect and already you can see the progress. And I suspect that her initial response was her acting like a child - DBF reacts that way because he also has a tendency to act like a child. Savana IS a child so it's nothing to worry about. The way you are handling it, she won't make that a lifelong pattern.

Myles, we don't have carpet in my current house and had very little in the last one so I mostly shut the door in that room. We did go through a very similar issue with my childhood puppy - his breeder had no carpet at all because they bought the house knowing they would be raising puppies there. He came to us already housebroken at 12 weeks or so, but when he saw the carpet at our house he thought it was grass so it was back to the drawing board. He didn't take long to train but he was a puppy at the time. I suspect just starting over with the crate training will take care of the issue - once furbaby learns that isn't the place to go it will be fine.

Lydia, I'm actually more impressed by "perhaps" than I am by "mass spectrometer" I can't help it, it's the SLP in me. Nouns don't impress me much. (cue Shania Twain - I have no idea why that song just came into my head but it did).

Erin, that is SO cute about Elle!

Kate, I think Josh is still trying to process about your kitty and it's just working its way through his brain right now. It's totally normal.

I confess I feel like I'm corrupting this poor girl at work. She's a young mom and moved here from Mexico. She learned English in college and has never been in an English speaking environment before three months ago when she got a job as a teacher's aide. Now she wants to be an SLP and I'm trying to encourage her to do it - being fluent in Spanish there's a huge need for her. Anyway, a few of us at work watch American Idol regularly and talk about it in the mornings, but she can't watch it because she doesn't have cable and her antenna won't pick up FOX. So we told her she should get a converter box so she could get more than one channel, and she did some research but there's one already built into her TV so she's stuck. She told me this morning that last weekend there was a biography on Simon Cowell on her one channel and she could only see parts of it because her kids were loud and she was trying to cook but she was really frustrated because she really wanted to know more about American Idol! She is the sweetest thing and I feel like I'm trying to convince the new girl to jump off a bridge or something!
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Bobbie was sensitive to the idea of eating animals nearly all her life and she was never a fan of her dad's hunting. To my knowledge, she's never gone hunting with him like her siblings have. She became a full fledged vegetarian about 2 years ago. I wasn't totally surprised.

Kate-did you like any of the girls tonight? Some were good, but none really stood out to me like the guys did last night.

Talking about AI, by the way. Just wanna clarify for those that might not know we're watching it.

Actually I DVR AI and watch it while Josh is at school. I'll let you know! I might watch it tomorrow. I just watched the guys today. I like it better than last year, I'll tell you that.

I'm watching it right now, not over yet. But I agree - the guys were way better last night than the girls have been so far.

Actually I'm pretty impressed by Thia. Didn't love her song choice, but she blew me away, especially at the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I like it better than last year, I'll tell you that.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    For one thing, I'm glad I got a hold of former APA-er AllyPC just after she stopped posting here on APA. She's very interesting and we've had some of the funniest exchanges since then.
    I was sorry that she decided to leave - she was very level-headed and intelligent.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Quote Originally Posted by katycat24 View Post
    I was sorry that she decided to leave - she was very level-headed and intelligent.
    Maybe that's why she left... It's just us fools now. ;) lol

Of course you are right!

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Maybe that's why she left... It's just us fools now. ;) lol
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Actually I'm pretty impressed by Thia. Didn't love her song choice, but she blew me away, especially at the beginning.
    I liked Pia, too. Thia and Pia. Yikes. But neither of them were as good as the best guys.

16. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    Does this mean you're coming up? I hate to be happy when you used a sad face, but.... WEEEEE!!!!
    Oh no! Is there anything you can do?
    Well they went to calendar call today and the trial was postponed again... so as of now, I may be coming up in July.....

I am planning a trip, paid by me as you can see in my siggy, in August so that I have a for sure date.

I have never watched a complete episode of AI. I just see it as a huge popularity contest and I was never big into being or applauding the most popular in a crowd. I will admit though that I have liked quite a few of the winners of AI after they were off of the show and I saw Fantasia in the Color Purple musical and she can really sing!

Bridgett, I also wanted to agree to everything Lydia and other ladies said. I think you are doing great with all your kids right now and it is going to take some time to get into a new rhythm. When Elle was born, it was very rough on him, as well as me as DH and I were having a lot of issues and I felt like Ky's life was thrown way upside down and I had to depend on him to do a lot of the things that DH should have been doing to help me around the house and I felt horribly guilty about it. Ky also told me after she was born and during her first 3 months that I was nursing her constantly that he "knew" that I loved her more than him, which made me burst into tears. It was very heartbreaking and I did my best to try to assure him that was not the case. He wasn't even frustrated or angry or anything when he said it. He was just sitting in my room with me and we were having a conversations and he told me that he just knew I loved the baby more than him. When I asked why he thought this, he said it was because I spent more time with her and hugged her more and held her more. It was very devastating to hear that I can't remember exactly what I said to him but around that time I started spending a lot more one on one time with him, taking him to the park or over my aunt's house and leaving Elle with DH while we were gone a few hours.

It is so tough with a newborn for us adults to adjust, I can only imagine how hard it is for a young child who doesn't know anything different and then all the sudden....wham...everything is different now. I'm sure once you all fall into a good routine she will be fine, but I so understand how difficult it is.

Erin

Aw Erin. My heart broke for both of you reading that.

Aw Erin. My heart broke for both of you reading that.
    Mine, too. You're an awesome mom, Erin.

Wow, a lot to catch up on!

Most of the people I have on FB are not the traditional "friends" in that a lot are my internet friends and a lot of people from work who I don't really even associate with much. I never feel like I can say no to people from work when they send a friend request...office politics and all that.

Travis has a pretty good vocabulary for an almost 3 year old, too. He keeps up conversations with his cousin who is 8 months older than he is. People laugh at some of the stuff he says. At the minute, he's fascinated with the street lights on our street; we watch them come every night, so we know the order they come on. He watches them and tells me all about how "gorgeous" they are.

Bridget, I agree with everyone else. I can't add anything more to what's been said, but just know that you are a good momma and that kids just have these times.

Oh, and is it bad that I'm teaching Travis the proper way to fall? He's so very clumsy (as am I!) so he's always falling on his face and bruising/scratching his face up, so I'm trying to teach him the snowboard fall of falling on your forearms if he has to fall at all. I've started taking him to a gymnastics class to try to help him with his coordination and even in that class, he falls over a lot.

Awww...that's cute. Does he like gymnastics? I went from 8-14 and I loved it. I wish I didn't quit. I still like to do handstands and cartwheels.

I think if you're going to fall, it's best to fall right! LOL
    On warmer days Josh rides his bike up and down the street and I let him fall (unless it looks like it's going to be bad, which it never does). I would rather him get used to it now than never fall and all of a sudden be traumatized by a bad spill on a two wheeler.
    He's already better on his trike than he was in the summer. We live on a slight hill and he couldn't pedal up it last year and now he can.

He loves it. He's so bendy. He amazes people with his moves. I keep saying that he'll either be a gymnast or a stunt man.

I like the idea of teaching the proper way to fall!
    Savana is easily the klutziest (sp?) child I have ever known. She falls at least 6 times a day. She runs everywhere she goes and will trip over anything, run into doors and walls, or just wipe out, even fall off the couch and chairs. She has poor depth perception. I always think if I ever took her to the dr they would probably think I abuse her because she is covered in bruises. Funny thing is, she always jumps up and shakes it off even though I know some of those have to hurt. I ask her all the time to please walk and it's gotten to the point where she's laid out on the floor after a wipe out saying, "Sorry, Mom! I'll walk."

Josh falls down a lot too, come to think of it. He likes to spin in a circle if he's talking or thinking, and suddenly WHOMP, his feet go out from under him.

That is funny...my MIL and I were both thinking that the girls were better than the guys. I could easily have picked half to go home this week but the girls there were only 2-3 that I thought should go home. I wish that they weren't cutting them down to the final 10 so quickly....I would have liked to have seen a few more songs out of some of them.

Big time klutz here. Come to find out when I went in for a heel spur and had foot xrays done, the bones in my feet are crooked! Soon as she saw that, she was like, so I bet you trip pretty easily. And I have flat feet which I never knew. Nothing like being 32 years and finding out that there is a good reason I'm klutzy and trip easily.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Here we go! I'm watching the girls on AI now. I might not have time for the whole thing before I get Josh (at least I can FF through the commercials)
    Some of the girls look awkward just during the introductions...

I catch a glimpse of AI every now and then; I'll have to see if I can catch up on it.

I wonder if being clumsy is genetic because I'm always walking in to doors and knocking my hands against chairs and stuff when I walk by them and even at the office, if I walk by someone's desk sometimes, I brush past it.

I'm very clumsy but I always attribute it to having spina bifida-- having a curved spine and slightly weak legs.