Page 584 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 844845345745825835845855865946346841084 ... LastLast
Results 17,491 to 17,520 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by The10Eels View Post
    I confess a friend of mine that goes to Indiana State University went off on Meghan McCain during the question/answer time of her speech on Wednesday...

This article doesn't give as many details as my friend gave on her FB, but the "audience member" was her...

http://www.indianastatesman.com/cont...tour-1.2017749
    How incredibly rude of Meghan. Even if it were a heckler, that would have been an appropriate response?

I confess I've involved myself in a debate on a predominantly conservative parenting board regarding the funding cuts proposed for Planned Parenthood. I'm mentally preparing myself to get ticked off already.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I confess I've involved myself in a debate on a predominantly conservative parenting board regarding the funding cuts proposed for Planned Parenthood. I'm mentally preparing myself to get ticked off already.
    I'm sorry you're getting steamed, chrissy. I think you're actually really good at excusing yourself from debates when they start to get heated or ugly.

Funny thing about your phrase "predominantly conservative parenting board" is - and I consider myself a moderate - that I actually think of APA as a "predominantly conservative parenting board".

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    I'm sorry you're getting steamed, chrissy. I think you're actually really good at excusing yourself from debates when they start to get heated or ugly.

Funny thing about your phrase "predominantly conservative parenting board" is - and I consider myself a moderate - that I actually think of APA as a "predominantly conservative parenting board".
    It definitely can be, but I almost think this other one takes the cake. I posted one time asking if there were any liberals on there at all. I definitely felt like a blue dot in a red sea!

I think there are 4-5 others. Out of...hundreds? Only a dozen or so like to debate politics though and I'm the only liberal one that can't keep out of those threads.

I wish I could remove myself before getting worked up. This topic is such a hot-button issue for me, I feel myself getting anxious just imagining what their posts are going to be. Bad sign...I need to unsubscribe from that thread and simply not read it.

Oh wait, Erin, I just realized you said you just took the test and scored ISFP. So I was, um, quite a bit off!

I never know what to make of those test. They usually sound right about me, but I think most of the categories are me to an extent.

From your explanation of an "F" and "T" though Myles, I do think I am an "F" I am VERY compassionate, sometimes to a fault and I am a softie, I do admit it, but usually only for certain people. Since I don't associate with many people outside of my group, this does fit my personality. I am much more like a "T" to people I don't know. Though I am compassionate and a softie to strangers I run across, I don't trust them so am wary. But I am very compassionate towards everyone and always try to imagine myself in their shoes, to an extent (cause some people are crazies and I can't go there). DH and I get in all sorts of arguments because even when I agree with his point of view, I attempt to understand the other point of view. It drives him crazy and makes him believe that I am purposefully trying to undermine his opinion, but really I am just trying to understand someone else's opinion.

Erin

It definitely can be, but I almost think this other one takes the cake. I posted one time asking if there were any liberals on there at all. I definitely felt like a blue dot in a red sea!

I think there are 4-5 others. Out of...hundreds? Only a dozen or so like to debate politics though and I'm the only liberal one that can't keep out of those threads.

I wish I could remove myself before getting worked up. This topic is such a hot-button issue for me, I feel myself getting anxious just imagining what their posts are going to be. Bad sign...I need to unsubscribe from that thread and simply not read it.
    It might be best for you to just walk away. When I find myself in a debate and no one else seems to see things the way I do I find it gets to me even more. It's not worth it in the long run.

Myles, I suspect most people who spend large amounts of time on forums trend Introverted rather than Extroverted, but it's certainly not the case 100% of the time. I wonder how secular would affect it? That may be another group more likely to bias toward I. I think people who are very religious on the other hand, are either a more extreme I or a more extreme E, depending on their type of religious expression. But I do think most introverts have a tendency to spend a lot of time in self-examination, which would lead to strong beliefs either in a secular direction or to a strong religious conviction.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    It might be best for you to just walk away. When I find myself in a debate and no one else seems to see things the way I do I find it gets to me even more. It's not worth it in the long run.

Myles, I suspect most people who spend large amounts of time on forums trend Introverted rather than Extroverted, but it's certainly not the case 100% of the time. I wonder how secular would affect it? That may be another group more likely to bias toward I. I think people who are very religious on the other hand, are either a more extreme I or a more extreme E, depending on their type of religious expression. But I do think most introverts have a tendency to spend a lot of time in self-examination, which would lead to strong beliefs either in a secular direction or to a strong religious conviction.
    You're right and I unsubscribed before I could get emailed anyone's response. I don't have it in me today.

It is interesting to think about...what percentage of secular people are introverts?

I had such a hard time with that questionnaire though because I am so vastly different depending on the situation. When it comes to my family and social life, I prefer things quiet. If it's just me and it's work related, I'm very outgoing and social. I approach people and I don't feel any shyness or trepidation about that.

Socially, when I'm by myself I'm really torn. I think it depends on my mood...if I feel like it, being quiet and "wall-flower-ish" is my preference, but I've certain done the exact opposite and had a great time....and that feels as natural to me as being quiet and reflective does. It just depends.

We're all really a mix of styles, I think, it's just that we tend to use one style more than the other.

I'm an introvert, no question, but I am quite social at work and find myself having long conversations with people I don't know well, and sometimes I share things that are fairly personal. But take me to a party where I know only 1 or 2 people and I have a fight or flight reaction. I actually had a horrible reaction at my graduation party for my undergrad degree. Everyone there was a friend of mine, but there were so many of them and I was so uncomfortable being the center of attention that I absolutely hated it. Oddly enough, I didn't feel that way at my wedding - maybe because weddings are just so overwhelming and surreal anyway it was more like playing a part in a play or something. Or maybe because it wasn't just about me but about DH and I together. I do find prolonged social interaction stressful and need a break to recharge my batteries. But when I'm comfortable or know someone well I'll talk your ear off.

I just had an odd experience meeting a new person at work, ironically enough. It put me off and I found I didn't really know what the appropriate reaction was.

But in my defense, someone introduced herself to me in the ladies bathroom and she clearly, without a doubt knew who I was. It was very strange because there are plenty of people on the 3rd floor as well as classrooms. I see more people every day that I've never seen before than I see of the regulars that 'live' here. How the hell was she so certain I am who I am? And why did she feel compelled to introduce herself to me in the bathroom? I hate talking in the bathroom! lol

Her exact words were, "You're Christina S______. Hi, I'm Sarah S_________." and she stuck her hand out. Did she see my picture? How does she know? She was just so certain, she didn't even add the perfunctory "right?" after her statement of who I was. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    It said the audience member was the one who informed McCain that the person "heckling" her was disabled.

I'm assuming that is her friend. Is that right?

Erin
    Oh, I must have missed that part. I never was great at reading comprehension

Her exact words were, "You're Christina S______. Hi, I'm Sarah S_________." and she stuck her hand out. Did she see my picture? How does she know? She was just so certain, she didn't even add the perfunctory "right?" after her statement of who I was. Weird.
    That's bizarre and would really freak me out. Weird.

Too weird about the introduction in the bathroom!

When I was at that convention with DH a couple weeks ago a man in the elevator asked me "Are you Steve's wife?" Out of the hundreds of people there I don't know how he assumed I was his wife. He must have seen me with DH at some point. But it was still really weird.

So....who wants to venture into the Christian room and ask how many extroverts there are?
    I got a much needed haircut today! I don't like the way she styled it, but I think I will like it when I do my usual wash and wear routine

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    So....who wants to venture into the Christian room and ask how many extroverts there are?
    I got a much needed haircut today! I don't like the way she styled it, but I think I will like it when I do my usual wash and wear routine

If you're asking me, the answer is no!

I really need a hair cut.

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    It said the audience member was the one who informed McCain that the person "heckling" her was disabled.

I'm assuming that is her friend. Is that right?

Erin
    Yes, my friend is the one who informed McCain that the person laughing was disabled.

It really irked my friend because she has devoted her life recently to working with people with disabilities and I think it is really what she is meant to do. Her heart is really in it.

Ash, that's a good limelight moment fo. your friend. What did she say in her FB status?
    I will add some of her comments under all of this..

How incredibly rude of Meghan. Even if it were a heckler, that would have been an appropriate response?
    Seriously!!! Way to be a role model, right?

Here are some of her comments -----

I stand up for people who don't have a voice. I will not be a follower and sit in the crowd. I will guide by example. Stand up for what you believe in. Be proud of who you are and never let anything hold you back, or let you be a quiet voice in the stands.

the issue wasn't what happen, the issue is how it was handled. She was handed a piece of paper right before her questions and chose not to address the situation until someone said something to her about it. I am completely and absolutely disgusted by ALL of the Indiana State University STAFF that were present and sat and watched this entire thing pan out. What an amazing learning opportunity it would of been for all who were there. Yet, no staff said anything to her until the end, and no one made a point of putting the person with disabilities first. Way to go. Way to empower people Indiana State Faculty.

To be very honest my entire body was shaking in not only disgust, but in utter awe of how disillusioned this young woman was. Her entire speech was talking about how others have treated her on the political campaign and how she has had to make her way as a republican and as a daughter of a US Senator as well as living the life under a father like hers. She said in her speech that she had no room to rebel against her parents because she always had service men with her as well as all these other cookie cutter ideals of people and how democrats and republicans should get along.

I think the part that most upset me about the entire situation is that when she was handed the note about what she had done Meghan did not own up to it. She did not apologize to the group of people there; she did not apologize until I said something to her. Not to mention her cutting me off. However, majority of the audience did not see the facial expressions and full eye contact I gave her to show my disgust of people like her. I am so sick of the public looking at people with disabilities as these inhuman creatures that should remain in the closets of this world

But the biggest issue isn’t a first amendment right of hers, or of his to act the way they wish and say as they wish to people on behalf of themselves. However, the issue is that Indiana State University faculty and staff sat in the audience and through her entire speech and allowed the young man to removed by his parents without a word. I was told by fellow students that a lot of people did go with the parents outside because the mother was outraged, as she should be. But I was not only upset that someone didn’t inform her right then, but that the university did not stand up for that individual. Is this not a university that has students with disabilities? I am completely and absolutely disgusted with the entire Indiana State faculty that did not stand up for this individual. Can you imagine the learning experience it would have been for the entire community of people that were there in the auditorium? What a cliché thing to do in not standing up for someone else and just letting it happen. Could I have stood up and done something right then? I could have, but would anyone have listened? I don’t think so. So instead I waited and listened to the entire speech. I sat fuming and telling myself not to curse her inside and out once I got up there to the microphone. But for a few moments when they handed her the paper explaining to her what she had done I thought okay, she will apologize, but she didn’t because who apologizes to someone with a disability?
    So in conclusion I would like to say that once I knew she was not going to say anything that I had the option to do so myself and I took the opportunity. I’ve learned that when working with people like I do, that there are people out there who just don’t understand and that the entire world needs a lesson on how to treat people with developmental, physical and psychological disabilities. People are not all as empathetic and trained as myself. I would like to not only point out and say, that she talked about how she felt when people talked about her weight, or her blonde hair or other traits she has, but she needs to step back and think that daily a person with disabilities is starred at, made fun of, and treated rudely more than she ever will in any media circus and she needs to put her big girl panties on and get a large reality check.
    Last edited by The10Eels; 02-25-2011 at 01:44 PM.

Your friend is an amazing person. The world could use more like her.

16. Default

I am beyond proud of her, and honored to call her my friend

I wonder if the Introvert trend in this room has anything to do with Secular. Or maybe it's common among anyone who would spend as much time as we do in a web-based forum. Molly's the only Extrovert so far, and I can assure everyone she's not an a-hole, and IS combative, but in the most endearing, funnest possible way.
    Stash is an a$$hole too. The exact same kind.

By the way, you said that guy from you work who was bugging you was in Texas, so if you need a flaming bag of poop on his door, I'm on it.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

OP removed due to my own paranoia.

I'm just about done with this. I'm sure on some level I'm oversensitive sometimes. But darnit, it's not all me.
    Last edited by missychrissy; 02-25-2011 at 06:35 PM. Reason: edited 'cause I'm paranoid

I am beyond proud of her, and honored to call her my friend
    I can see why. I would be too.

Quote Originally Posted by AbbeysMom View Post

By the way, you said that guy from you work who was bugging you was in Texas, so if you need a flaming bag of poop on his door, I'm on it.

Yes, my friend is the one who informed McCain that the person laughing was disabled.

It really irked my friend because she has devoted her life recently to working with people with disabilities and I think it is really what she is meant to do. Her heart is really in it.

I will add some of her comments under all of this..

Seriously!!! Way to be a role model, right?

Here are some of her comments -----

Wow, well said by your friend.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

I must be having a really off day because I can't figure out what being friends with that guy has to do with being afraid of driving in the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I must be having a really off day because I can't figure out what being friends with that guy has to do with being afraid of driving in the snow.

Nothing at all Kate. Looking back and knowing John like I do, I insulted his manhood by making that snarky comment so he had to reach really far for a way to insult me. Apparently, he decided to go to Facebook for ammunition to use against me. Sure, it's a reach, but my concern is...now he's dragging my family into it?

My kids were also friends with him. I shot out a message to them asking they remove him and I signed in to Rich's account and removed him instantly. Be crappy to me regarding work related stuff...eventually I'll get sick of it and leave. Drag my family into it? That's going too far.

Chrissy, it sounds like that guy just has a really bad sense of humor and doesn't know when to shut up....hugs to you for dealing with him for so long.

I just thought I'd share a picture of my little Cash that I took today; he's 6 months old next week!!!!!!

Yeah...that was quite a reach and really immature.
    The worst thing was that I didn't even see the sentence your boss wrote at first. I really had no idea what I was looking at.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Chrissy, I am a minute away from my break, but all I have to say is WAY over the line unprofessional. He should not have been on your facebook, your family's facebook, much less making innuendos about your dh's masculinity based on his friends! I'm glad you removed him - this is something you could take to HR - but you also should take care to not invite this kind of banter by bringing up talk about real men, too. It sounds like he takes whatever opening he can get and just ups the ante.

Gosh, Cash is so adorable!

Cash is adorable!

Lydia, I know you're right. We do often go too far. Most the time it's fun and in general I'm not easily offended. I guess I'm partially to blame. You're right though, he's always anteing up and he's going too far.

I just dread being in an environment where it's strictly professional and we never horse around at all. I have to decide if I can tolerate the personal attacks or just get out. I've applied for 3 jobs this week and I've looked every day. If something comes along...

Quote Originally Posted by AbbeysMom View Post

A "stash-hole", then.
    Stash, I hope it's ok that - for no particular reason - I like the sound of that. It's just my word-play disease talkin'.

Molly, he lives Flower Mound, TX. Flower Mound? Could there really be such a place? He had his daughter's 2nd birthday party at that Children's Tech Museum you took me to with the "No Weapons Beyond This Point" sign etched on the glass, and I think he hangs out at the same Gymboree that you go to. So he's definitely within throwing distance of any sort of flaming excrement. I may just call on you for that.

I'm just about done with this. I'm sure on some level I'm oversensitive sometimes. But darnit, it's not all me.
    Nah. You're not oversensitive. He's your boss. He made you uncomfortable. He should know better than to bring a)mild gay slurs, b) your husband, c) pictures of shirtless guys in general, d) Facebook into the picture and expect to have no culpability if you don't feel good about it. I agree with Lydia. You have a case with HR.

Quick computer-y question, though, chrissy: I have an old laptop with a power supply jack (so the female end) that gets so hot it melts the plastic on any power supply connector you try to plug in it. My current power supply connector is melted. That seems to be the only thing wrong with it. There's no juice left in the battery, and I don't want to get a new power supply cable (since I got a new laptop anyway), so basically, I can't power the thing up. I want to give the laptop to someone else either for parts or to repair it for their own usage, but I want to wipe the hard drive first. I don't want to pull the drive out either. So can I just get a giant magnet and wipe out the hard drive that way? And where would I get such a magnet?

AmeriAsh - I love, love, love the picture of Cash.

Ashley - Your friend was right on all counts. Good for her!

AmeriAsh - btw, share pics of your new hair, ok?