Page 583 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 834835335735815825835845855936336831083 ... LastLast
Results 17,461 to 17,490 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

  1. #17461

    Default

    The interview was great. She was really easy to talk to. She wants me to send her a family picture of us and then pictures of kids in action at the daycare (with parents permission of course). So...it seems like she'll actually do an article on us.
    AND turns out she's homeschooling parent and when I told her we were as well she invited me to join the group she belongs to where they meet once a week so the kids can hang out in the gym or at the park. It's just what I've been looking for around here and was quite sure it didn't exist. Yay.

    I'm going to take that test when I have time. All through my 20's I bet everyone who knew my including myself would call me an extrovert but that's because I was partying and when I drink I am really, really social. Otherwise, not so much unless I'm with people I know really well. I'm actually really shy and people have told me before they thought I was a total snob when they first met me because I didn't say much. Of course their opinion of me changed once they got to know me...or once they had drinks with me.

  2. #17462
    3andMe's Avatar
    3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    21,513

    Default

    Yay Chrissy! That is really wonderful news, and it's about time you got some.

    Myles, I would feel all ranty about that, too. Yuck.

    I took that test and it told me I was a curmudgeon. Only it tried to made it sound better than that. Like "You are a stick-in-the-mud, but don't worry, people like you keep the cogs turning and there are other miserable sods like you." I don't think it phrased it exactly like that either, but you know what I mean. I had a hard time answering it, too, because I can be very flexible and spontaneous but I also have an abiding fondness for order. I have been known to drive to Mexico on the spur of the moment when I didn't feel like cooking Mexican food (granted, I lived in Phoenix at the time), but particularly at work I am a rule-follower and a rule-enforcer (darn middle-management).

    My mom tells me that I was very outgoing as a baby and younger child and liked to perform, but I became terribly shy by 5th grade and at some point I realized I was introverted. I've overcome a great deal of my shyness, but I'm still really introverted. I feel more refreshed by myself and find it exhausting to be around other people, whereas my sister is the opposite. She has no understanding why I will go to parties from a sense of obligation rather than because it's the most fun thing I can imagine doing.


  3. #17463

    Default

    I read something about introverts, that they can be good at speaking or performing in front of a group but when it comes to one on one small talk, they freeze up. That describes me to a T. I was in all the drama performances, chorus, spoke in front of my church many times as a teen, but give me one person and ask me to talk off the cuff, and I'm like uhhh...what do I say?
    Bridget, that sounds great!
    Lydia, I almost spit out my drink at your description of the test result.

  4. #17464
    3andMe's Avatar
    3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    21,513

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Lydia, I almost spit out my drink at your description of the test result.
    Kate, are you drinking already? Maybe that is why it sounded so funny to you.


  5. #17465

    Default

    Ha, NO, not that kind of drink!...I'm decent enough to wait until after Josh goes to bed to get my drink on

  6. #17466
    3andMe's Avatar
    3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    21,513

    Default

    I was just teasing you.


  7. #17467

    Default

    I know

  8. #17468
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,941

    Default

    Congrats, Chrissy! That's so great about Bobbie getting accepted. Is she going there for sure, or is she still waiting to hear about other schools?

    Myles, I took the Myers-Briggs years ago and I came out INFP. Oddly enough, so is my brother and we're very different. I consider him to be the most social member of my family. At heart I do think he's an introvert, though. He's a photographer by profession and definitely the "starving artist" personality.

    I honestly wonder if I took it again if I would score differently. I was kind of borderline between INFP and INTP and I wonder if, post graduate-school, I might come out INTP. Way back when I took that I hung out with musicians and writers and lived almost entirely in fantasy land, and now my friends are mostly psychologists and SLPs including a few PhD researchers. I've changed the way I think a lot. So I'd be interested to take it again. I'm definitely not the artist-in-a-garret personality I see in my brother (well, artist-in-garret-with-iPhone, at least ). I think I have tendencies in that direction, though. It depends who I spend the most time around. But, being an introvert, I prefer not to spend time around anyone!

    Speaking of my brother, he has been in town visiting this week along with his son and his girlfriend. My brother and I weren't close as children and I really love how well we get along as we get older. And I really love his girlfriend! Which is just so awesome. I have to get going, as it's their last night here and I promised my nephew I'd come over tonight. I spent the day with them and just came home to let the dogs out and fill everyone's food dish.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  9. #17469

    Default

    I found one of the free tests online. I like this one because it only has 4 questions and the questions aren't so confusing to me.

    I'm not surprised that I'm still an INTP. I made a huge shift from INTJ to INTP around 9 years ago. I used to be so proud of being an INTJ ("Ayn Rand was an INTJ too!", I'd say ).

    Then a few things happened:
    --- I decided I was climbing a corporate ladder towards nothing of value to me
    --- I tore my rotator cuff doing yoga
    --- I rejected the all reason/no-compassion philosophy of Ayn Rand

    And from then on, I just realized that a lot of the assumptions I'd made about myself were false. I realized that pushing myself too hard was counterproductive (as in the shoulder injury) and the pushing myself came from a competitive side in me that was missing the whole point of doing the yoga. And I realized that I didn't HAVE to want to be a "general" or a "leader" at work, and had just been programmed to think I had to want to follow an advancement pathway at my job, so I swore off anything but consulting work. And all the logic and methodology that I relied upon in life wasn't making me any happier or adding value to my relationships.

    Until then, I'd used to tell myself that I had all that I had because "I'm smart and I plan well around my goals". After the big change, I acknowledged that I have what I have mainly because "I'm lucky and can roll well with the punches". Everything is 50% chance at best. So you might as well stop stressing and just enjoy the ride. That was a huge realization for me.

    I think that right there explains my switch from "J" to "P". Haven't really looked back since.

    Here's what my score said about me (this is just slightly more fun than comparing horoscopes, isn't it?)

    INTP

    You're on a quest for logical purity...you're motivated to examine universal truths and principles...always asking "Why?" and "Why not?"...can focus with great intensity on your interests...you appreciate elegance and efficiency in thought processes and demand it in your communication...

    You might appear low key in appearance and approach, you're hard as nails when challenging a truth...you don't like to deal with the obvious...at your best when developing unusual or complex ideas...you can be an under- achieving but very capable student...if you don't like a rule, you're quick to challenge it and find flaws in it -- this could make you somewhat of a rebel...if you like the rule, though, you have a respect for it and go along with it...

    A relentless learner in areas that hold your interest...you might seem "lost in thought" to others...you tend to connect unrelated thoughts...you would rather be the architect of a plan than the implementer of it...you need a private, quiet workplace that allows for flexible independence... would rather organize ideas than people....

    You tend to stay away from traditional leadership roles, and would rather lead with your ideas...you don't get emotionally involved, but rather tend to follow logical reasoning.....leisure has two dimensions to you: first, you like to concentrate and reflect on conceptual matters -- second, you like to take risks in the external world (like skydiving?)...

    You like to read, think, watch TV, play with computers.. sometimes you'd rather do these types of things than hang around other people...you don't necessarily like "best sellers" or "must see" movies because you don't trust people's opinion on what's "popular" and would rather make a value judgment for yourself....

    Love, for you, has three distinct phases: falling in, staying in, and getting out. falling in love is a loss of rationality for you, and you fall HARD...an all or nothing phenomenon....

    The "staying in love" phase is where you start to evaluate the relation- ship's structure and form. You may withdraw at this point because you're moving toward your most customary inward style and nature. A lot of the open affection stops....the giddy state changes... The "falling out of love" part (which doesn't always happen) results from an analysis of the real expectations of the realationship and needs of the relationship. Often an undefined line is crossed that neither of you knew about in advance. However, if you end it, you'll keep the relationship going as a friend in some capacity if you have a reason....

    Pitfalls: don't focus too much on the inconsistencies of others...try being friendly and showing appreciation of others...being competent is very important to you, and you could be too hard on yourself....don't let your emotions take control -- you could have outbursts or appear hypersensitive...

    INTP: "It's Not Theoretically Possible"
    Last edited by demigraf; 02-24-2011 at 08:47 PM.

  10. #17470
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    The interview was great. She was really easy to talk to. She wants me to send her a family picture of us and then pictures of kids in action at the daycare (with parents permission of course). So...it seems like she'll actually do an article on us.
    AND turns out she's homeschooling parent and when I told her we were as well she invited me to join the group she belongs to where they meet once a week so the kids can hang out in the gym or at the park. It's just what I've been looking for around here and was quite sure it didn't exist. Yay.

    I'm going to take that test when I have time. All through my 20's I bet everyone who knew my including myself would call me an extrovert but that's because I was partying and when I drink I am really, really social. Otherwise, not so much unless I'm with people I know really well. I'm actually really shy and people have told me before they thought I was a total snob when they first met me because I didn't say much. Of course their opinion of me changed once they got to know me...or once they had drinks with me.

    Talk about a great and productive day!

    And yeah that description fits me pretty well too. I have been told before that they thought I was a b*tch or stuck up until they got to know me. I'm shy in person until I know someone and than I'm talkative. Unless I'm drinking. Than I like to dance and I really cannot dance. Oh or I have had a few people think that I was mormon (didn't know that I like the alkie sometimes).

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  11. #17471
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Ha, NO, not that kind of drink!...I'm decent enough to wait until after Josh goes to bed to get my drink on
    Boo I'm out of drink here....BUT my MIL is coming tomorrow and she is bring us a big bottle of brandy. I have some Mikes for DH since he's not a drinker. And the brandy's are for MIL and me....we will get our drink on this weekend and than bust out the games. Got a new one to try called Smart A$$.

    I'm off work tomorrow so I can clean up the house with DH before his mom arrives....and than PARTY at my house.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  12. #17472
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,694

    Default

    Ok so I did those tests years ago but have no clue what I was except that I was like, yup that is me. And the career ones always had librarian as an option....yup that is me.

    got this

    You're an ISTJ

    ISTJ

    You're systematic, thorough, painstaking, and hardworking...You get the job done and complete it on time...you are serious and sincere in whatever you do..you work well within a structure...follow the hierarchy...and are particularly strong and careful in keeping track of facts and details...

    Cautious...generally seeking to maintain the status quo...you are at your best getting things to the right place at the right time....

    Serious, responsible and sensible stalwarts of society...trustworthy and honor your commitments...your word is your solemn vow. Practical and realisitic, you have great powers of concentration....hard to distract once you have embarked what you believe is the best course of action.... ..

    You like to apply past experience to present decisions...you can cite accurate evidence to support your views...you're down to earth and seek to do the right thing at the appropriate time...you find it hard to understand people who start an education but don't finish it...

    You are diligent and persevering in your efforts...whether it be school, or work, or love...A half-finished job is not a job well done...you probably believe in "Say what you mean and mean what you say." Private by nature, you appear calm in moments of crisis...

    You believe in work before pleasure...(gee, like posting before playing the online games on Storm Palace?)..while you don't SEEK leadership positions, you might find yourself in one...you build a reputation for reliable, stable and consistent performance...

    You like to schedule....even your LEISURE time! It helps to you if it has a purpose, even if that purpose is sociability...to you, love means bigtime commitment, steadiness and consistency...you behave appropriately for what the situation demands (for example, romantic in the beginning, and so on)..

    When you give your word and are ready to settle down, you follow-through... you expect your partners to act in a similar manner...you may stay in a poor relationship because of a sense of duty...you might have strong but unspoken reactions under that cool facade...

    Logical and analytical...quick to point out flaws in other people...when you feel scorned in a relationship, you may not let your partner know it..when it's obvious that the relationship is really over, ending it is just the practical thing to do...

    Things to look out for: you could immerse yourself in details...you could become rigid in your ways and be thought of as inflexible... don't forget to compliment people and be so concerned with getting the job done....you might overlook the long-range implications of your actions today...don't get stuck in a rut...recognize your emotions, and the values they represent... others might see you as insensitive...

    Also, you're skeptical of new ideas you don't see immediate and practical applications for...you may impose judgments on others...expect others to be the way YOU'd be...become more tolerant of difference between people.

    ISTJ: "I Save Things Judiciouslyl"

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  13. #17473
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,694

    Default

    Yup that description fits me pretty well...fits my DH even more. I'm a bit better with people skills than that lets on.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  14. #17474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post

    Here's what my score said about me (this is just slightly more fun than comparing horoscopes, isn't it?)
    I got ENTJ, which I'm pretty sure means I'm an a$$hole.

    ----

    You're an ENTJ

    ENTJ

    Ok. Now for the payoff: You take charge quickly and deal directly with problems...especially in situations that involve confusion or inefficiency...you develop broad, action-oriented plans an supply the necessary enthusiasm and momentum to see that the plans are completed....you "take charge" and organize your (and others') external world...you don't take "no" for an answer -- stubborn jerk! -- and use your resources to find a way to meet the challenge...

    Yer at yer best when using your analytical and strategic thinking... ok, ok... you're a leader, and quite happy being one, dammit...you see education as a major way of getting ahead...you don't mind learning about the past if it can help you in the future...

    You like to debate issues and view problems from all sides...you often become your job...your sense of identity is closely tied to how well you carry out yer responsibilities...like posting on the Storm Palace BBS... you are fiercely competitive, strategic and task-focussed...

    You cannot NOT lead...you decide quickly and effectively...you don't like taking leisure just for leisure's sake (there HAS to be a purpose to it)... You *hate* having nothing to do...you like regularly scheduled constructive activities....you're disciplined that way....you lead with a hearty and frank style...

    Love has to be practical, doesn't it? Has to fit into the bigger picture before you "allow" it to happen...you get particularly hung-up on attactive people... you often wonder if you can win the heart of the good-lookin' stud or chick, like a challenge....you'll be hard-working partner...you'll probably believe that the hard work you do to provide is your expression of "love."... you expect to have your needs met in a relationship, but still like to keep your independence... when that can no longer happen, it's not "logical" to stay with him or her and you bail...

    Watch out for deciding to chase a goal too quickly... keep your overall goal in mind and understand that there is more than one way to get there...factor in the needs of others...don't suppress your emotions for too long, or they'll take control of your personality. What do I mean? Like, you'll overreact or respond inappropriately to a situation because you haven't been paying attention to your inner feelings on the way....take the time to make sense of your feelings and analyze them.... don't overlook others' needs when you get really task-focussed...

    ENTJ: "Executives Need Tough Jobs"



    lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

  15. #17475
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    yeah Jennifer the tuition is really high. It's as much as some degree programs offered at Cornell. Elmira is supposed to be a good school...and I think all NY schools are expensive. Even the SUNY ones. She's waiting to hear about her grants...hopefully they'll come through and that'll be a great help.

    Myles, I like your personal rule about waiting two days to complain about work. I'm going to use that one on myself. I also struggle with differentiating between whether something is a real issue, or if I'm just being emotional or moody. I think in your case, it sounds like that guy is a total ass and I'd be irritated with him too. Actually, some of what you said about him reminds me of my boss.

    Bridget, congratulations on your interview and finding a group to hang with. I think that we have a lot in common...maybe it's the Scorpio in us? I've heard people thought I was stuck up when they first met me too. I was very surprised the first few times I heard it...the truth is I was very shy. Now I don't feel shy out of intimidation or fear (which was the case when I was younger) but more that I want to assess the people I'm with so I prefer to sit back and just watch.

    I want to look at the personality testing thing...hopefully I'll have time tomorrow. Jess had her first appointment tonight. Of course she made a good impression on her counselor, Jake. He's a great guy and in recovery himself. He said he could tell she was being honest and is reaching out for help before it becomes a problem. He doesn't feel she warrants an addict dx (which I didn't think either) and that's a good thing. Those things tend to follow people for life. The down side...our insurance will cover all the alcohol and drug treatment we want, as long as it's medically necessary. So depending on what dx he writes, our insurance could decide it's not medically necessary for her to go and refuse to pay. The counselor is recommending she joins a group 2X a week and I'm following his advice. I hope the insurance cooperates and we don't have to fight them.

    Another piece of it is his group is all adolescent boys. He assured me he runs a tight ship and he won't tolerate any abuse or inappropriate comments from anyone. He has another girl that's been waiting to join group because he won't allow just one girl in with a bunch of boys. So if Jesi's insurance falls through, potentially another young girl could be impacted.

    I don't think Jake would let it come to that though. Group starts at 4:00 and is 1 hour away from work for me (and Jesi's school). He's going to make calls Monday and see about getting her transportation and how much that would cost. Thursday I'll leave work early to take her, and hopefully the following week we'll have something else lined up. He's also asked if the copay ($19/per visit at 2x a week) will be an issue and is going to talk to the accounting office about working out a reduced payment schedule for us. A lot to think and worry about, but I'm committed to getting her there and I know Jake will do whatever he can too. Jeannie (the clerical worker I used to work with) was telling me Jake came to the office as an intern and made such a tremendous impression on everyone that they offered him a job. He's very popular...I could tell that in my visit with him that he's one of the good ones. Whew--it's really a relief. Jesi needs good people.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  16. #17476

    Default

    INFP here!

    Yay for Bobbie!

    "Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov


  17. #17477
    3andMe's Avatar
    3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    21,513

    Default

    I don't think I actually took the same test you were all taking. Hmmm.

    Well, I know my meyers-briggs pretty well. It's been the same every time I've taken it. INTJ in the house, baby. Apparently we're the least likely to become nurses.

    Congrats on the interview and finding a new friend, Bridget. I knew you'd do great.


  18. #17478

    Default

    Omg Lydia, Soren looks so much like dh! When did that happen?!



  19. #17479

    Default

    Heh I'm an ENTJ a$$hole, too.



  20. #17480
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    In a van, DOWN BY THE RIVER!
    Posts
    8,435

    Default

    I'm an ISFJ:

    If your personality type is ISFJ then you direct your energy primarily towards the inner world of thoughts and emotions. You try to clarify ideas and information, particularly when it relates to people and important relationships. You are a quiet, serious observer of people, and are probably both conscientious and loyal.

    The most important mental muscle (or 'dominant function') for an ISFJ is the perceptive one of Sensing. This means you take a realistic approach, like looking at information in terms of facts and details, focus more on the here and now rather than possibilities for the future, and feel comfortable in areas of proven experience.

    The perceptive Sensing function is introverted. That is, Sensing is used primarily to govern the inner world of thoughts and emotions. You seek to develop a realistic understanding of people as they are now and, being pragmatic in nature, adapt to the world as it is rather than trying to effect too much change. You observe in a subjective way, selecting and relating facts that others might not, whilst seeing those facts more in terms of their significance rather than pure 'data'.

    The Sensing function is primarily supported by extraverted Feeling judgement. That is, Feeling judgement is used primarily to manage the outer world of actions and spoken words. This will modify the way that the (inner world) Sensing is directed, by focusing it on ideas and information that relate to people. You feel appreciation for the contributions of others, and probably express it, particularly where they have done or said something that you see as significant.

  21. #17481
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,941

    Default


    I am so shocked. I went from INFP in my early 20's to ISTP post-grad school! That's two major changes! The only thing is, I think I'm about exactly split down the middle between F and T. I went with T, but I was not expecting the change from N to S! And it was a big one!

    Here's my description. Some of it sounds exactly like me, and some of it doesn't. I actually saw a fair amount of myself in the INTP description, too, though. I should answer in a way that will give me the INFP description and compare the three of them.

    ISTP

    You're a realist who applies expediency and reasoning as you manage and adapt to situations...you are aware of what is going on in the environment and are able to respond quickly to the actual facts, making sure the odds are in your favor...

    You're straight-forward, pragmatic, honest people who prefer action to conversation..you have a good understanding of the way things work, and are not pretentious...analytical...you tend to make logical and private decisions, stating things the way you see 'em...

    don't like to be tied down and don't like working in a structure or schedule...you need to anticipate immediate practical needs in situations and to present a logical straightforward plan for meeting those needs...

    Curious and observant... convinced only by hard, reliable facts...veritable storehouses of information...realist able to capitalize well on available resources... quiet and reserved...appear cool and aloof and are inclined toward shyness, except with good friends...

    You operate on impulse....you learn best when you can observe first-hand in a one-on-one situation...prefer to learn alone...you thrive on excitement and action...probably like outdoors and sports....good trouble shooter...you lead through action...by setting an example...you'd prefer to managed loosely at work so bossman isn't breathing down your neck.

    It's important to pursue your interests.. you will do what it takes to make time or money for your leisure-time pursuits (like pay for a Storm Palace subscription?) ....you like to have the latest and finest equipment for whatever your hobby is...you probably get turned on just reading the Trivial Pursuit cards just to learn the information....

    Love? Responsive yet realistic, huh? You seek partners who'll give you your freedom (especially for hobbies and interests) or will at least participate in 'em with you....you're attentive to the little things that your partner will like..you like to surprise them with gifts and stuff... you'd rather show your feelings through actions than express them with words....

    When scorned by a love, you don't share it with the world... you're usually not vindictive when the relationship is over...you don't give up easily on the relationship unless you're convinced by the evidence.

    Things to be careful about: difficult to share your reactions...look for the shortcut or the easy way...slack off occassionally....develop a step- by-step plan...don't keep important things to yourself...you might take in so much information that you feel overwhelmed by it...you may be hesitant to make decisions....this makes you appear undirected...don't move on to new tasks before your other ones bear fruit...

    ISTP: "I See The Problem"
    Last edited by Gwenn; 02-25-2011 at 03:27 AM.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  22. #17482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    So in case you missed my Facebook post...Bobbie has been accepted to Elmira College and they've awarded her a $40,000 scholarship!!!
    I missed this... huge congrats to Bobbie!!!



    lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

  23. #17483

    Default



    ISFP

    You're gentle and compassionate...open and flexible...considerate of others and do not for views and opinions on them. Often focus on meeting others needs...pleasant, quiet and kind....at their best ensuring others well-being. Caring and sensitive....modest and reserved..
    OK...you enjoy subjects that relate to helping and knowing about people... art ... computers and history classes if these classes are taught with an applied, sensible approach.. and if objectives relate directly to everyday lives....
    You're somewhat artistic, aren't you? You could probably post a great poem on the Storm Palace, huh? You dislike structure, because it takes away from your spontaneity and freedom. You like leisure, and seek it out. You savor it...probably say "stop and smell the roses"...You have a personal and humorous approach that is unique...
    Patient and flexible..easy to get along with and no need to dominate others. You don't need to lead, and are a loyal follower...good team members... You're trusting and understanding...
    Love to you is utter devotion and loyalty... when you first fall in love, you may feel consumed by it...."falling in love with love" ...focus on the romance of it all..you are constantly nourishing the relationship... When scorned, you probably retreat and repeatedly analyze the situation internally....When you let go finally, you can be more assertive again...
    You organize things according to their personal and humanistic values. You like a work setting that contains cooperative people... leadership style involves personal loyalty as a means of motivating others... prefer team approach...likes to enjoy life...
    Be careful of the following: you can lose out when you neglect your own needs. because you see others' needs so clearly, and because you're heavily motivated toward meeting others' needs, you may overlook your own requirements. You need to learn how to respect own needs more and to be assertive and direct with others in asking for their help and for time to take care of themselves.
    You also lose out when you are afraid of conflict and mismanage it as a result. You take personal responsibility for conflicts and issues that in actuality belong to others. You become hurt and withdraw. Finally, you can lose out when you become self-critical, and do not appreciate your own accomplishments.
    ISFP: "I Seek Fun & Pleasure"

  24. #17484
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Ok. You are sympathetic, loyal, considerate, and conscientious. You will go to any amount of trouble, when it makes sense to you, to help those in need. You are responsible and enjoy being needed. You are down-to-earth and realistic and like others who are quiet and unassuming. You absorb and enjoy using a large number of facts.

    You like situations where the rules are well defined and where traditions are to be upheld. You focus on providing practical help and services for others and for the organizations you serve. You have a strong work ethic.

    You can be painstakingly accurate and systematic in handling tasks...you're conservative with traditional values...quiet and modest...tactful and supportive of friends and family...

    You are often self-effacing in getting the job done, and are willing to make necessary sacrifices, especially for your family. You are at your best quietly providing assistance and making sure things are in order.

    You have a few close friends, don't like disharmony, and try to keep cooperation at all costs...you'll stay close friends with that tight circle for a LONG time...worry a lot...

    You need to have things organized in a way you think works.. you cannot work when things are out of order...when things are in disarray, you have to reorganize 'em immediately....you get involved with leisure ONLY after all the work is done...

    You have a tendency to put off relaxing because there's too much work to be done...you enjoy time with your family...you fall in love hard when you fall. You place a high value on marriage and family...you seek out a partner and feel unfulfilled without one. you most likely are a good student because you diligently follow through in your work to please your teachers.....you learn best by DOING...

    You tend not to be the center of attention...often appear serious...others like trying to get a laugh or a smile out of you...you get angry or bitter when scorned...but you keep it inside...

    Possible blindspots: because you are SOOOO in the present, you have a hard time seeing possibilities or consequences of your actions...can become mired in the daily grind...don't forget to express your bottled-up feelings...you can be taken advantage of....could be pessimistic about the future because it's unknown and you rely on past experiences.....you want to plan too much.

    ISFJ: "I Serve Family Joyfully"
    I know I did this test in college but I can't remember what my results were. I think they were different than this. I found it really difficult to chose because I'm vastly different at work than I am at home. I'm absolutely NOT conservative!! Although, others were very true. I do have a strong work ethic and sometimes I feel like the only way I can learn something (especially in relation to computers) is by actually doing it. I can't read a book and apply the concepts. My family is definitely the most important thing to me and I'd do anything for them.

    I don't get irritated if people try to get me to laugh or smile and I'm absolutely not pessimistic about the future. Boo.
    Last edited by missychrissy; 02-25-2011 at 07:56 AM.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  25. Default

    I confess a friend of mine that goes to Indiana State University went off on Meghan McCain during the question/answer time of her speech on Wednesday...

    This article doesn't give as many details as my friend gave on her FB, but the "audience member" was her...

    http://www.indianastatesman.com/cont...tour-1.2017749

  26. #17486

    Default

    I'm confused, was the girl in the wheelchair your friend? I don't see anything about another audience member.

  27. #17487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I'm confused, was the girl in the wheelchair your friend? I don't see anything about another audience member.

    It said the audience member was the one who informed McCain that the person "heckling" her was disabled.

    I'm assuming that is her friend. Is that right?

    Erin

  28. #17488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    ISFP

    You're gentle and compassionate...open and flexible...considerate of others and do not for views and opinions on them. Often focus on meeting others needs...pleasant, quiet and kind....at their best ensuring others well-being. Caring and sensitive....modest and reserved..
    OK...you enjoy subjects that relate to helping and knowing about people... art ... computers and history classes if these classes are taught with an applied, sensible approach.. and if objectives relate directly to everyday lives....
    You're somewhat artistic, aren't you? You could probably post a great poem on the Storm Palace, huh? You dislike structure, because it takes away from your spontaneity and freedom. You like leisure, and seek it out. You savor it...probably say "stop and smell the roses"...You have a personal and humorous approach that is unique...
    Patient and flexible..easy to get along with and no need to dominate others. You don't need to lead, and are a loyal follower...good team members... You're trusting and understanding...
    Love to you is utter devotion and loyalty... when you first fall in love, you may feel consumed by it...."falling in love with love" ...focus on the romance of it all..you are constantly nourishing the relationship... When scorned, you probably retreat and repeatedly analyze the situation internally....When you let go finally, you can be more assertive again...
    You organize things according to their personal and humanistic values. You like a work setting that contains cooperative people... leadership style involves personal loyalty as a means of motivating others... prefer team approach...likes to enjoy life...
    Be careful of the following: you can lose out when you neglect your own needs. because you see others' needs so clearly, and because you're heavily motivated toward meeting others' needs, you may overlook your own requirements. You need to learn how to respect own needs more and to be assertive and direct with others in asking for their help and for time to take care of themselves.
    You also lose out when you are afraid of conflict and mismanage it as a result. You take personal responsibility for conflicts and issues that in actuality belong to others. You become hurt and withdraw. Finally, you can lose out when you become self-critical, and do not appreciate your own accomplishments.
    ISFP: "I Seek Fun & Pleasure"

    I was this as well, though I also took this test before and was something else. I can't remember which though.

    Both DH and I took it together for some work thing we had to do. We met at 1800flowers and were customer service reps there (you wouldn't believe how many people will curse you out over their mom not receiving Mother's Day Flowers at a specific time on Mother's Day, it is crazy!) Part of our training included a personality test. DH and I were almost totally opposites.

    Erin

  29. #17489

    Default

    Mandy, kind of a fun shock, eh? The way I understand the difference between "intuiting" (N) vs. "sensing" (S) is the way you take in information and make decisions. N's rely on hunches and flashes of inspiration. S's are "sensing" because they rely on their 5 senses to trust and verify information. "S" could also stand for Sceptic. So it makes sense to me that you went more "S" after grad school. Also, like you, I feel I've become way more 50/50 Thinking/Feeling as I've gotten older. I stuck with T because I really do get focused on people's logic and pay perhaps too much attention to when they contradict themselves, but I've become way more of an accepting softie too - learned to let things slide - as I've aged.

    I once read a good explanation on each of the types. I'll try to dig it up if it's still online. I was confused at first when I found out I was an introvert, because I'm not really shy or feel awkward in social settings. But then I read that the Intro/Extrovert types have more to do with how you charge your batteries (being alone or drawing energy from people around you). I like my friends and have fun, but I find it pretty tiring and always need to recover afterwards. Another sign of it, apparently, is that I get so deep in thought or a book or typing to you guys, that I resent the intrusion, for example, when DH interrupts my train of thought. It's been a real sticking point with us - I get maybe a little too p.o.'d when my "thinking" time is disrupted and he feels perhaps a little too entitled to yammer away at me about whatever and whenever he feels like it.

    I wonder if the Introvert trend in this room has anything to do with Secular. Or maybe it's common among anyone who would spend as much time as we do in a web-based forum. Molly's the only Extrovert so far, and I can assure everyone she's not an a-hole, and IS combative, but in the most endearing, funnest possible way.

    Another thing I noticed is that I feel I could be borderline on almost every category, but when I read the descriptions of each grouping, I find that I LIKE my description the most and feel flattered by it. The secondmost appealing description to me was the one where I'd be an E instead of an I - so ENTP. I think this points to one issue with the way these tests are designed - they don't help a respondent distinguish between the way they really are and the way they feel they oughtta be. I think a lot of people (myself included) would have a hard time describing themselves as "compassionate and lenient" (F) - even if they have a history of being huge softies - if it's something they're actively trying to change. I think they'd be more inclined to describe themselves as "firm and logical" (T) if that's the way they want to see themselves.

    I personally wish my nature were more "F", but alas, all evidence in my past behavior points to me being a true "T".


    *************

    Erin, my guess - just for the fun of it - is that you're an ISTJ. Now I'm curious what you really are .

    Ash, that's a good limelight moment fo. your friend. What did she say in her FB status?
    Last edited by demigraf; 02-25-2011 at 12:13 PM.

  30. #17490

    Default

    Oh wait, Erin, I just realized you said you just took the test and scored ISFP. So I was, um, quite a bit off!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •