Page 558 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 584585085485565575585595605686086581058 ... LastLast
Results 16,711 to 16,740 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Awesome Gwenn! Yay for a good first day! Will the ability to finish your work during work hours last? Or will you have more responsibilities as time goes on?

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Awesome Gwenn! Yay for a good first day! Will the ability to finish your work during work hours last? Or will you have more responsibilities as time goes on?
    I'll definitely be busier - I haven't done any evals yet so the only paperwork I had so far was prepping for the evals that are coming up. The actual report writing of course has to wait for that to happen. But we are scheduled for a max of 6 evals per week and 6 meetings to discuss results per week. We will have all day Wednesday free for report writing and also any time we don't have evals/meetings scheduled. This week I have 4 evals and no meetings. I'll also have to pick up extra evals throughout the district to assist my boss who is run off her feet doing evals on school age kids, but she said that would be like 1-2 per month. So with a full day for writing every week I should be able to get most if not all of it done.

In the schools they assume if you're not directly seeing kids, you're not working ( ) so having a whole day for reports is just bliss.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

This video is amazing:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ke-humans.html

The chimpanzee mother refuses to abandon her baby - it's something else.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post

ashley - where would you recommend people visit in Alaska? DH is big on backpacking and flyfishing. There's gotta be a little of that there, right? I would be very into going anywhere I wouldn't have to take a light plane anywhere. I could tell horror stories about 6-seater flights I've had to take in the past. Never again.
    Well Denali National Park for sure... SO Beautiful.

For the fishing I would say Valdez or Seward. You can drive to both, and they are both beautiful little fishing towns too. Theres more the option of deep sea fishing, but I know many people that do fly fishing on the "beach" in each town.

Ashley (AmeriBrit), I have to ask... did you consider the name YankeeDoodleLimey as well?

Quote Originally Posted by The10Eels View Post
    Well Denali National Park for sure... SO Beautiful.

For the fishing I would say Valdez or Seward. You can drive to both, and they are both beautiful little fishing towns too. Theres more the option of deep sea fishing, but I know many people that do fly fishing on the "beach" in each town.
    I was going to ask if Bart the Bear (from that David Mamet/Anthony Hopkins movie set in Alaska, "The Edge") would be there, but then I remembered reading somewhere that the bear passed away.

I think that was the same bear they used in another Alaska movie, "Into the Wild". Did anyone see that movie, or read the book? I know a lot of people thought the guy was great for rejecting his family's money and setting off into the wilderness on his own - and those are all admirable things - but DH & I surprisingly both had the same reaction; we felt the guy was also incredibly self-absorbed and tragically arrogant. I won't give away the ending, but I wonder if anyone else saw it and felt the same way?

Gwenn - that's so cool that you had a good first day. Here's to many more.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    - what can I say, I work with special needs kids and come home to a special needs dog. It's my lot in life, I guess. <---
    Last edited by demigraf; 01-31-2011 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    I'm breastfeeding!
    I can't tell y'all how happy I am about this. I haven't pumped at all. My midwife came over yesterday and Sawyer is gaining weight again after the initial newborn loss. Before she weighed him she told me not to be surprised if he was less than the last time they weighed him that would still be within the range of normal. But nope. He's gaining. I'm thrilled.
    The nights are still really hard. He gets hungry but won't eat and he screams until he finally poops or burps so something is bothering his tummy.

My cousin and her husband came over yesterday and she told me that her husband thinks that I have scarred my kids for life because they watched Sawyer being born.

Of course what I actually said was, "Really? That's interesting," but what I meant was:
    Bite me
    Of course they are scarred, and now that they are seeing you breastfeed too?! They are going to grow up knowing what our bodies are supposed to do and that they are for more than just sex!
    I really think it is great your kids were able to see your birth and that you are breastfeeding. There is so much wrong with the way birth is thought of, talked about, and the way pregnancy/pregnant women are treated by doctors. I might be being a little drastic, but I think our great-granddaughters are going to end up at baby harvesting plants for c/s at 37 weeks unless we start making some major changes. And the best way to make those changes is by letting our future birthing women and supporting men see how natural, normal, and great birth can be!
    Sorry to write a novel, but after reading so much to prepare me for this birth I feel like I have finally found my great passion (natural childbirth) in life, something that I love and want to do all the time. I've never really had that before. I can't say enough about birth and most people don't want to hear it, so when I get the chance I tend to not stop talking about it. Eventually I want to become a doula and probably a hypnobirthing instructor.
    Ok, I'm going to back down now and be quiet.
    Last edited by intactivstmom; 01-31-2011 at 10:47 PM.

"We cannot withhold facts for fear of offending because the importance of the information outweighs people's right to not be challenged in their beliefs." -Maddy Reid
    In memory of all APA babies gone too soon; always loved and never forgotten

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I think that was the same bear they used in another Alaska movie, "Into the Wild". Did anyone see that movie, or read the book? I know a lot of people thought the guy was great for rejecting his family's money and setting off into the wilderness on his own - and those are all admirable things - but DH & I surprisingly both had the same reaction; we felt the guy was also incredibly self-absorbed and tragically arrogant. I won't give away the ending, but I wonder if anyone else saw it and felt the same way?
    I read the book and thought he was just crazy. And yes, what you said. I didn't find anything noble at all in what he did.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Lydia, is that Claire and Ronin yawning at the same time in your sig? LOL It's too funny.
    Yes, I was looking through some old pictures with the twins and we all thought this was cute so I decided to put it up again for a bit. Ronin has been looking at the pictures of himself as a baby and saying "Aww, I just love little me. I was so cute."
    Last edited by 3andMe; 01-31-2011 at 10:48 PM.

I saw the movie, and I thought the guy was an idiot and I didn't like him enough to enjoy the movie. I liked the soundtrack though. Dh actually only wanted to watch the movie because Eddie Vedder did the soundtrack and Dh is huge Pearl Jam fan.

Gwenn, I am so glad you had a good first day.

"We cannot withhold facts for fear of offending because the importance of the information outweighs people's right to not be challenged in their beliefs." -Maddy Reid

10. Default

I have not seen the movie, or read the book. I know the gist of the story, but don't know full details. From what I do know, I think the guy was an idiot....

and the only cool thing I know about the movie is that I got to see Sean Penn in my local grocery store while they were on a break from filming.

Ashley (AmeriBrit), I have to ask... did you consider the name YankeeDoodleLimey as well?
    Myles, you crack me up, woman. As a southerner, I will not put that label on myself! Someone once called me a yankee at work and when they saw my face, they quickly said, "I mean dixie chick, you're a dixie chick." LOL.

In the schools they assume if you're not directly seeing kids, you're not working ( ) so having a whole day for reports is just bliss.
    The county mental health office I worked at had the same attitude. The therapists that stayed were very harried all the time. Not many stayed.

This video is amazing:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ke-humans.html

The chimpanzee mother refuses to abandon her baby - it's something else.
    Is it going to make me sad? Like is the baby dead or something? I cannot cry at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanna(h) View Post
    Eventually I want to become a doula and probably a hypnobirthing instructor.
    I really think you'd be good at it.

Quote Originally Posted by The10Eels View Post
    I have not seen the movie, or read the book. I know the gist of the story, but don't know full details. From what I do know, I think the guy was an idiot....

and the only cool thing I know about the movie is that I got to see Sean Penn in my local grocery store while they were on a break from filming.
    I haven't seen the movie or read the book. I barely have a clue what you're all talking about, but now I want to see the movie! I'm so out of the loop.

Cool about seeing Sean Penn. I often wonder how I'd react if I saw someone famous out and about. I'd like to think I wouldn't make an ass of myself, but one never knows.

LOL at post it notes on the monitor. Don't they have the sticky notes program on their computer? (there's another idea...)
    Gwenn, his teacher really is great...A lot of Josh's friends have older siblings who had her and the parents just rave about her...she's been doing it for decades and she is just really sweet.
    demigraf...yes, I can be sweet when not provoked For some reason lazy is just a trigger word for me--it makes me see red whenever someone uses it at me or my family.
    Chrissy, I'm glad Bobbie's back on track. Sorry about the boy trouble though...

Lazy is a trigger word for me too. I really hate it.

Stinkin Thomas (Bobbie's bf) has disappointed her again. I hope this time she just walks away and doesn't look back. At least she's applying to some summer programs at Cornell (there's also the Falcon program where she can study Japanese intently that she's interested in). I'm confident that when she gets among other intellectuals like herself, she'll find someone that makes her say, "Thomas who?"

I hope so too! She deserves someone as intellectual as herself (which I guess can be hard to find especially at this age).

I posted a thread in here for hair advice; I could use your advice, ladies! Please!

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/for...post1058040509

Hey, guys! Jumping in really quickly to share this awkward moment I just had with a co-worker who apparently is a heee-yuge Motown fan. So here at the wacky company I work for, they name their conference rooms after recording artists. I sit outside Jimi Hendrix, have a weekly catch up in The Beatles, and was interviewed in The Kinks. Today we pulled the divider across the big Michael Jackson conference room and had a meeting in the smaller space on one side of the divider. We ran out of time, and I had to schedule another meeting in the same space, as we'd left some diagrams up on the whiteboard. So I scheduled it for tomorrow in “The Michael Jackson Annex”, not knowing what else to call it. Well, it turns out that little space on the one side of the divider has a name. It’s called the Marvin Gaye room, and one attendee just came up to me and gave me a stern lecture about how “Marvin Gaye was no Michael Jackson annex. He's pound-for-pound the greatest R&B artist who ever lived.” I just sat there like this , and let the guy vent, but I'm serious that he was actually somewhat offended I’d given the room that name. I croaked "I'm sorry" and the guy walked away shaking his head. Jeesh. I hope the guy will get over it in time to be willing to answer my questions tomorrow.

Is it going to make me sad? Like is the baby dead or something? I cannot cry at work.
    Yes, the baby is dead and the film makers caught the chimpanzee mother displaying very human-like grief. This has apparently never been documented before in primates and it used to be believed that only humans truly grieved. So it's very sad - but it's amazing at the same time.

Hey, guys! Jumping in really quickly to share this awkward moment I just had with a co-worker who apparently is a heee-yuge Motown fan. So here at the wacky company I work for, they name their conference rooms after recording artists. I sit outside Jimi Hendrix, have a weekly catch up in The Beatles, and was interviewed in The Kinks. Today we pulled the divider across the big Michael Jackson conference room and had a meeting in the smaller space on one side of the divider. We ran out of time, and I had to schedule another meeting in the same space, as we'd left some diagrams up on the whiteboard. So I scheduled it for tomorrow in “The Michael Jackson Annex”, not knowing what else to call it. Well, it turns out that little space on the one side of the divider has a name. It’s called the Marvin Gaye room, and one attendee just came up to me and gave me a stern lecture about how “Marvin Gaye was no Michael Jackson annex. He's pound-for-pound the greatest R&B artist who ever lived.” I just sat there like this , and let the guy vent, but I'm serious that he was actually somewhat offended I’d given the room that name. I croaked "I'm sorry" and the guy walked away shaking his head. Jeesh. I hope the guy will get over it in time to be willing to answer my questions tomorrow.
    That is hilarious!!!

I confess I had a really hard meeting to attend this afternoon. I went back to my newly-old school to attend an annual meeting for a child, and got to listen to a mother whose daughter had just been diagnosed with a degenerative disease explain the diagnosis and the course of the disease. She managed it all without breaking down, too.

Aren't I a ray of sunshine today? Sorry about that.

omg demigraf! Overact much? Cripes.

I don't know if I can watch that video. It's interesting and I believe animals feel grief...but I know I'll cry if I see it. I cried when my co-worker told me about the momma bear that appeared to be grieving for her cub that had just been hit in the road. I guess she tried to move it off the road and was making howling like sounds. I'm getting choked up just thinking about it.

Thomas is still giving Bobbie a hard time. I had to block his number from being able to contact her. He's calling her stupid and telling her she's fat and ugly. I seriously want to go to his house and tell him how he sucks at life. I hope this is it for her and that she's finally done with him.

What an ass hole, I would have a hard time not punching him. I hope Bobbie can be done with him.

Me too Shannah. I thought having a broken heart was the worst thing I could ever go through. I was wrong. Watching this boy demean, belittle, manipulate and attempt to destroy her is far worse. She's so kind and smart. She doesn't deserve this. She deserves much better. I keep telling her that, and I think she's finally realizing this one has a lot of issues and they're nothing to do with her.

Me too Shannah. I thought having a broken heart was the worst thing I could ever go through. I was wrong. Watching this boy demean, belittle, manipulate and attempt to destroy her is far worse. She's so kind and smart. She doesn't deserve this. She deserves much better. I keep telling her that, and I think she's finally realizing this one has a lot of issues and they're nothing to do with her.
    I hope she is done with him. What a jerk.

Thomas is still giving Bobbie a hard time. I had to block his number from being able to contact her. He's calling her stupid and telling her she's fat and ugly. I seriously want to go to his house and tell him how he sucks at life. I hope this is it for her and that she's finally done with him.
    Uggg, what an A$$. And seriously, she is not fat. She's cute. I would LOVE to be that size.

A REAL man, would not call a woman names like that and be mean and emotionally abusive. I mean I am a plus sized woman...yet Dh would never say anything about that in a mean hurtful way.

he must have a very small d*Ck and be very insecure about that and realize that he is stupid in comparison to a smart girl like Bobbie. The most abusive man I have known (DH's stepdad) was also the most insecure man I have ever met. And when they met someone find to be smarter than them...they have to tear them down.

Bobbie you can do so much better! Just wait until college when you can meet boys that like school and like to think. Go take some philosophy classes (which something like 90% of philosophy majors are boys...well at least that was the case 10 years ago).

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

The small hope I can give for the Thomas/Bobbie situation is that, when she finally kicks him to the curb (or kerb as they say in AmeriBrit-speak ;)), and there's no doubt that she will, she'll have that as an empowering memory to carry around her whole life. There will be a day when she can look back dismissively at Thomas as something foolish she once did - the way she let him get into her head, the crap she put up with - and she'll have a boundary set. It's a pretty big milestone in a girl's life when she learns how to recognize the jerks and tell herself "never again". Unfortunately, most of us weren't born with that ability and had to acquire it through dating the wrong guy(s).

I confess I only wish I'd learned how to recognize the jerks faster.

I confess I only wish I'd learned how to recognize the jerks faster.
    This
    I do hope she's done with him and that she has set that standard, like you said.

I confess that I'm happy that we mostly missed out on the mega storm! OMG to the pictures that my friends and family are posting of back home....the snow is literally flowing over 6 ft wood fences and my aunt can no longer see her above ground swimming pool and attached deck.
    The actually declared a civil danger warning....I had never even heard of that one before.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

We avoided a lot too...it's pouring rain today, so hopefully some meltage will happen.

Yesterday was worse for us than today, although our worse is nothing like what others have gotten. Cornell was closed till 10:30, but I opted to not go in. After my adventures yesterday, I'm good for a while

One of the options my broker was looking into is the USDA Rural Development program. I wasn't too keen on it as it's a no-money-down thing and I couldn't help but think about our monthly payments being higher. Anyway, they came back with a no on our first choice house. There are 2 other lending options, but Rich needs more on his credit. Apparently no credit is as bad as bad credit. Ugh. We may not be buying a house any time soon. I'm in a funk.

I'm sorry Chrissy. Did they give you an ideas on how long it would take to establish his credit to a good level? The one good thing about waiting a bit more is it gives you more time to window shop and decide exactly what you want and save up for an even better down payment. For us the extra year was the difference between a house we liked and one we loved....

Would it be any different at a bank versus a broker? I do not know much about brokers....we just walked into four banks (well I called and set up appts) within a week time frame and met with all of them. And every single one had a different process, different terms and was willing to give us different amounts of money.

Would buying some land be an option and pay that down while establishing credit for him and than using the land as a down payment and build a house on that?

Jennifer, 35, DH 36