Page 548 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 484484985385465475485495505585986481048 ... LastLast
Results 16,411 to 16,440 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

  1. #16411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    If I have a boy, our plan has always been to call him Theodore...probably been like 6 years we have had that name. Means gift from god...and if I did turn up pg, I really might have to rethink this whole god thing because it would feel like a miracle to us.
    Biology is pretty miraculous to me.

    We watched the Curious George movie with Abbey (the one with the Jack Johnson soundtrack, I think) and I noticed at one point the Man With the Yellow Hat exclaimed "Sweet Mother of Science!" when he was surprised. I thought that was pretty awesome.



    lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

  2. #16412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AbbeysMom View Post
    Biology is pretty miraculous to me.

    We watched the Curious George movie with Abbey (the one with the Jack Johnson soundtrack, I think) and I noticed at one point the Man With the Yellow Hat exclaimed "Sweet Mother of Science!" when he was surprised. I thought that was pretty awesome.
    That is great! I didn't catch that.

  3. #16413

    Default

    Ugh. Savana has really been difficult the past 2 days. It's been quite some time since I've had any behavior issues with her. Last night Mark wanted to watch Titanic and Savana overheard him ask me if I wanted to watch it after the kids went to bed and she asked if she could watch it. She's familiar with the story of the Titanic so we decided why not. I asked the kids to clean up the living room first and Kai started right away. Savana started whining and kind of kicking her toys around. I told her she could change her behavior now or we wouldn't put the movie on. She continued to kick her toys and said, "I don't want to watch that stupid movie anyway." So..yeah, no movie. She flipped. I put her bed because it was close to bedtime and told her I'd come back to snuggle her after she stopped screaming. She screamed for 20 minutes that she wanted to watch a movie and that it wasn't fair. Holy crap that sucked. Finally she stopped and was almost asleep and started crying she was hungry. I knew she was because I had been making pumpkin oatmeal for them to eat during the movie. So I lit a candle in the room and let her eat some oatmeal by candlelight in the bed which calmed her immensely and she fell asleep right after.
    Then today she pulled almost the exact same thing at the library after computer time was over I said they could each choose 4 books and she whined and huffed and puffed that she didn't want any books. I said I was leaving when Kai and I finished getting our books and if she didn't have any she wouldn't get any. Then we get to the checkout counter and she started saying she wanted books. Well, too late. We're leaving. She cried all the way home that she wanted books.
    I have to wonder if it's nerves from the idea of the baby coming? I just don't know but I wish she wouldn't do this now!!!! I am really hoping for a mellow transition. She is really wearing me out,

  4. #16414
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    In a van, DOWN BY THE RIVER!
    Posts
    8,435

    Default

    Ah, kids gotta love 'em. I hope she mellows out for you, Bridget. I think kids just have those moments sometimes.

    I had a lovely moment with DH today. I had just blow dried my hair and we were getting ready to go out and he said to me, "Look how beautiful you are." And I could tell he really meant it. We haven't seen each other much the past few days because he's had work commitments, so it was just like aaaw, he loves me.

  5. #16415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silverstar View Post
    Ah, kids gotta love 'em. I hope she mellows out for you, Bridget. I think kids just have those moments sometimes.

    I had a lovely moment with DH today. I had just blow dried my hair and we were getting ready to go out and he said to me, "Look how beautiful you are." And I could tell he really meant it. We haven't seen each other much the past few days because he's had work commitments, so it was just like aaaw, he loves me.
    I agree, Josh does that a lot, he doesn't want something in that moment but 5 minutes later he does and it's too late.
    That's very sweet what your DH said, silverstar.

  6. #16416
    3andMe's Avatar
    3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    21,520

    Default

    I'm feeling so awful! I just found out that the house I bought six years ago, that I thought was 1725 square feet, is only 1400 square feet. I was totally had. I was already going to be listing and selling (hopefully) at a loss, but now I don't know what to do. This is going to change the price enormously. I'm normally pretty calm and organized, but it feels like gerbils are building nests in my brain right now. I just don't even know what to do, and we've already moved half our stuff into a storage unit already and paid a contractor to paint our deck. We're somewhat committed. Ugh ugh ugh.

    On the bright side, I guess this is why it seemed like we didn't have enough space. I wasn't just being greedy.
    Last edited by 3andMe; 01-22-2011 at 03:29 PM.


  7. #16417
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    In a van, DOWN BY THE RIVER!
    Posts
    8,435

    Default

    Oh, no, Lydia! I can't believe they lied to you about the size! We just moved in to a bigger house and bought it for the same price as our old one (which was a newer house but a new-build) and we had to put nearly all our savings in to the new mortgage. It sucks, but I'm happier to have more space!

  8. #16418
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Hopefully it's just a brief phase Bridget. We all have bad days, and sometimes a couple of them right in a row. I hope it's nothing more than that.

    Must be husband-compliment-wife day and even Rich got the memo. I was out of the shower and dressed and he came in and said, "oh, beautiful wife is dressed already" and he just stood close behind me and hugged me while I brushed my teeth. I really needed that this morning.

    Lydia, that stinks big time. I can't believe the people you bought it from were even allowed such a discrepancy.

    I'm usually anti-drug, but I think I might need to go get some chill-out pills. I've been feeling overwhelmingly stressed and I've started being so vocal about it I cannot even stand to be near myself. A break or vacation isn't even possible because I need to save my time for when we move.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  9. #16419

    Default

    That's funny, DH paid me a compliment too. Perhaps they planned this?
    I was in my gym clothes and he told me I looked good. Funny, when I actually try I usually don't get any kind of reaction! LOL

  10. #16420

    Default

    Sorry you've been so stressed Chrissy! I think you're allowed it though, given the stories you've shared about Bobbie's boyfriend and Jessica's stunt...I hope you find something that helps you feel better though...I know what you mean about not being able to stand yourself. Sometimes I hear myself talk and I'm like "OMG shut up already!"

  11. #16421
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Sometimes I hear myself talk and I'm like "OMG shut up already!"
    That's me too any more. I hate it and I wonder how Rich puts up with it.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  12. #16422
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,703

    Default

    I wonder how they figured square feet? Did they add the basement or now forget the bathrooms/laundry room?

    I was actually just thinking about calling the city on ours because on all our plans, the house was listed at 1451 sq ft. On the city tax assessment site they have my upstairs listed at 1504 and the basement as 1492....which they are the exact same size. I don't want to pay taxes on a house that is bigger than what it is but we haven't gotten our tax letter let. I know I have 2x6 in the walls instead of 2x4 so maybe that is enough to make a difference if things are done outside or inside? I don't know. I guess I probably will end up waiting to see what the tax bill looks like...I think that we should get that in the spring.


    And ugggg, I had all sorts of plans this weekend to go to the pet store and go to Michaels and target for a new pillow.....and woke up sick with a sore throat and aches and that icky head/neck feeling. So instead i never got dressed, slept, watched a lot of TV and had some soup. And I'm thinking of going and laying down again soon. I hope that I can fight it off before it gets full blown......

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  13. #16423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I wonder how they figured square feet? Did they add the basement or now forget the bathrooms/laundry room?

    I was actually just thinking about calling the city on ours because on all our plans, the house was listed at 1451 sq ft. On the city tax assessment site they have my upstairs listed at 1504 and the basement as 1492....which they are the exact same size. I don't want to pay taxes on a house that is bigger than what it is but we haven't gotten our tax letter let. I know I have 2x6 in the walls instead of 2x4 so maybe that is enough to make a difference if things are done outside or inside? I don't know. I guess I probably will end up waiting to see what the tax bill looks like...I think that we should get that in the spring.


    And ugggg, I had all sorts of plans this weekend to go to the pet store and go to Michaels and target for a new pillow.....and woke up sick with a sore throat and aches and that icky head/neck feeling. So instead i never got dressed, slept, watched a lot of TV and had some soup. And I'm thinking of going and laying down again soon. I hope that I can fight it off before it gets full blown......
    Eat raw garlic!!

  14. #16424
    3andMe's Avatar
    3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    21,520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I wonder how they figured square feet? Did they add the basement or now forget the bathrooms/laundry room?
    They told me when I bought it that there had been an addition put on the rear of the house in the 70s to make an extra room and the master bedroom much bigger. The county records showed it as 3 BR 2 BA 1400 square feet. But it was listed as a 4 BR 2 BA 1725 square feet, and they had all four bedrooms to prove it (even though two of the bedrooms aren't really suitable for bedrooms). They said that nobody had ever updated the records at the county, and since it was a quick flip and since the previous owners were elderly and disabled, we could see why it hadn't been done. The appraisal at the time and the appraisal I had last year with my refi did not find any disagreement with this measurement of 1725 sf.

    I only decided to have it updated at the county because I wanted it to be there when people looked it up besides on MLS. And I guess I am really relieved I did, because I hate to think how awful it would have been for me if I'd sold this house claiming it to be 300 square feet bigger than it actually was.

    I'm just paralyzed here. I don't know what to do.


  15. #16425

    Default

    I keep coming in here to post, but I always feel like I should go back and read a few pages. I finally had to just give up on catching up or I'd never post in here again.

    I gave up on my apa break when Dh got a job three hours away. He leaves Friday night and goes to some natural oil wells and hauls off all the extra water from the wells to treatment centers. He does two 14 hour shifts and then drives back late Sunday night. Once Annica is born and out of the hospital he will work 3 days instead.
    I love having him home all day every week day (especially since he makes the same amount of money as he would in a "regular" 5 days a week 9-5 job), but I go crazy over the weekends with nobody to talk to at all. So I had to come back and get some sort of interaction.

    "We cannot withhold facts for fear of offending because the importance of the information outweighs people's right to not be challenged in their beliefs." -Maddy Reid
    In memory of all APA babies gone too soon; always loved and never forgotten

  16. Default

    I am glad you are back Shannah.

    I confess I had to close last night, and have to open this morning. It has been like this every weekend for almost two months and I am over it. Yes. I have 9.5 hours between shifts, but by the time I get home, and asleep, then have to wake up to get the girls ready I get MAYBE 6 hours of sleep. I need more than that! I can't function like this.....(ok.. so once in a while I can, but regularly I can't)

  17. #16427
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,703

    Default

    I don't have any raw garlic in the house. I either use powder or once a while I go into the little jar in the fridge. But it's moved down into the lungs anyway. I sound just awful but don't feel quite as bad. I think that I'm going to have to start up the inhaler though. My asthma has been pretty much gone as an adult...except when I get a cold. The good news is that the past two nights I had over 10 hours sleep each night. I'm usually lucky to get 7 hours....thank you Nyquil!!!!

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  18. #16428
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Lydia, is it possible your town made a mistake? I mean, you've had it looked at 2 other times and nothing came up then.

    Shannah, I'm so glad to see you back here! I've missed you! And I just that pic of Robbie pointing to your baby bump. He's the sweetest little boy and that pic is just precious!

    Ashley, that really bites. I'm so sorry. Can you talk to them about that? You'd think they'd try not to schedule anyone like that, especially on a regular basis.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  19. #16429

    Default

    Sigh. I just need to come in here and take a deep breath.
    I'm getting grouchy and on top of that dbf really, really pissed me off this morning.
    I got out of the shower to hear Kai crying. Turns out Savana ripped the Franklin book he's been attached to for days. He put it on the couch, she kicked it around with her feet because she didn't want it there and in the process, ripped the cover. I told Savana to sit in her room for five minutes. She flipped. I mean, she was screaming like a crazy person. So I told her I was shutting her door until she calmed down. I closed the door (which she started kicking) and was standing right outside it when dbf says to me, "This is crazy. She should not be allowed to kick her door. Our kids do not get enough discipline."
    A) EFF OFF. I do 98% of the parenting so anything you say like that is a direct insult to me
    B)I am in the middle of dealing with one of our children's misbehaviors that you were going to do NOTHING about and you want to tell me they don't get enough discipline??
    C)EFF OFF (Did I say that already?) How dare you come up to me when I am clearly stressed out and instead of offering support just complain?
    And now I've just been stewing. I just can't believe how ungrateful he is that my entire being is dedicated to the care of our children. He hardly spends an hour a day, if that, engaged with them. From wake up to bedtime they are 100% mine.

    I'm offended and annoyed and did I mention REALLY pregnant.
    Thanks for letting me get that out.

  20. #16430
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,955

    Default

    I'm trying to make a decision here and need some input.

    I am thinking of going to see a concert this spring. It would be kind of a big deal for me to go, because on top of the cost of tickets, I have to drive to another city (about 100 mile drive) and most likely I would get a hotel room and stay overnight (because it's a Friday night and I don't want to work a full day, drive 100 miles, go to a concert that will get out late at night, and drive 100 miles home). Which means I also have to hire a dog sitter. So tickets + gas + hotel room + dog sitter fees and we're looking at a pretty big investment.

    I'd like to go, but my big hesitation is that the concert is scheduled JUST before DH is likely coming home. He doesn't like to be in crowds in the first place, but he's said more than once that after he came home he'd be more agoraphobic than usual and sensitive to loud noises, etc. This is something he knows from experience and I can believe it because he is that way anyway. So I asked him to confirm that he wouldn't be home yet and he said it was right on the edge - there is about a 50/50 chance of him being home. Then he said if he was home he would want to come with me because he wouldn't want me going without him.

    I wouldn't go without him if he was here - DH is more important than any concert - but it puts me in a bind. I don't want to ask any of my friends to invest the money in the concert (it's my idea to go so they would be buying the ticket because I asked them) and then not go myself. One option would be to have a friend buy a ticket and then buy it off them if DH is back but that seems dirty and I don't like to do that to a friend.

    Any ideas? Should I go? Or should I skip it? I don't want to say exactly what concert it is because that would give the date away, and I'm not allowed to discuss specific travel dates for DH, but it's someone whose been around a long time and I'm a big fan. And I've never seen in concert. DH isn't so much a fan.

    And can I just say how excited I am to be making plans for DH potentially being home?
    Last edited by Gwenn; 01-23-2011 at 01:09 PM.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  21. #16431
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,955

    Default

    Yuck, Bridget. I'd be pissed off, too.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  22. #16432

    Default

    I'm sorry Bridget! Is there another time out spot you could use, where she can't kick things?
    Gwenn, I don't know what I'd do. How soon in advance would you know if DH will be home or not?

  23. #16433
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,955

    Default

    He's planning to drive home from FL. So even if I have an exact date for him to leave FL his drive time might vary so I really can't know for sure if it is that close.

    And tickets go on sale in about a week so I'd like to buy them when they go on sale. I certainly won't know before that.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  24. #16434

    Default

    Hmm. They're not playing anywhere near you some other time?

  25. #16435
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,955

    Default

    No. There are only about a dozen concerts in the whole tour and one of them happens to be near me.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  26. #16436

    Default

    I wouldn't take the risk, I guess. Do you think they'll go on tour again, maybe next year?

  27. #16437
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,955

    Default

    I don't know. It's possible, but hard to say. I know they came through here a few years ago.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  28. #16438
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Oh Bridget I get so angry at him on your behalf. Did you ask him just what he thought you should be doing? God I don't know how you don't go off on him.

    Gwenn, would your dh go and chill in the hotel room while you attended the concert? I know what you're saying about him being 'agoraphobic' and antisocial at least for a while after he returns. It's been over 30 years and to this day socializing can be stressful for my dad. It's gotten easier, but things like fireworks shows are still out for him. People really don't have a clue what our military men and women, and their families, sacrifice for us.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  29. #16439
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,955

    Default

    That's a thought. Although I think if he came with me he would want to go to the concert with me, too. Last time we went to a concert together the people in the car behind us when we tried to leave were drunk and driving really erratically. The kept trying to cut around the line and they almost ran into us more than once - he made a point of reminding me of that so I think he'd be afraid to let me go without him!

    That said, that did scare me too, and that's one of the reasons I thought of getting a hotel room. I could get one close to the venue and then just walk over and back.

    And I understand about your dad. DH has trouble in busy restaurants and grocery stores, already from when he was in the Army years ago. Sometimes he will get overwhelmed and leave. I can understand it as an adult, but it must have been confusing for you to deal with as a child.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  30. #16440

    Default

    Gosh Gwenn that is a really tough call. I think I might go ahead and get the tickets and if he's home, make a decision at that point.
    Kate, her kicking the door wasn't the issue. I feel that what I did was right for what was going on. She needed to be angry and her room is the place to do it. If she kicks and screams so be it. When she finishes, then her 5 minutes of quiet starts, then she comes out and talks to Kai about ripping his book. Dbf was taking issue with her anger but he doesn't do squat about anything. Just runs his mouth. And it's very infuriating.

    Chrissy, I don't know sometimes why I don't go off but it's almost just a waste of energy. He doesn't listen.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •