Page 533 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 334334835235315325335345355435836331033 ... LastLast
Results 15,961 to 15,990 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by The10Eels View Post
    I confess I bought a pair of Sketchers Shape Ups. I wore them to work my past two shifts (8 hours each) and just read this tidbit in the little booklet that came with the shoes.....

oops.
    How are they? Do you think they do any good? Did your legs/butt hurt?

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

2. Default

my calves ached the first day, and I am a little sore today but mainly just my feet.

I can tell that I have better posture in them, which is worth the cost for me.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Just pure evil.

Chrissy, have you heard from her yet? I'd be pacing like mo-fo.

Quote Originally Posted by katycat24 View Post
    Just when I thought those people couldn't stoop lower. It's literally sickening to me that anyone could be so awful, much less a group of anyones.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Just pure evil.

Chrissy, have you heard from her yet? I'd be pacing like mo-fo.
    No, nothing yet. I'm so anxious and I don't really know what to do. Right now I guess the only thing I can do is wait and see if she gets off the bus tonight, and if not...call the police?

Sigh, I can't keep up in here because I'm never here anymore .

Oscar has recently decided that he's created everything. The universe, animals, people, it's all him with his superpowers. He seems to know he's just being a goofball and pretending, but it does beg the question of why is he pretending this? Because he doesn't know where everything came from and is creating answers.

Bah.

I was hoping you would have heard from her now, Chrissy. I'm sure she's just playing hooky, like you said, but coming from a parent's perspective I don't know how kids can do that and not know or care that they're worrying their parents sick!
    I had some of those shape ups, but that was before I realized I somehow went from a size 5 to size 6, and I thought the shoes were just that uncomfortable. LOL
    They were weird to walk in, too.

I looked at her texting history and she's recently started texting someone from WA. I'm feeling really sick now. God I hope she comes home on the bus tonight.

Her phone is off now. Calls go directly to voicemail.

Oscar is so creative, Stacy. Have you guys read any evolution books together? I should ask first if you believe in evolution.

I get annoyed every time I try to talk to dbf about how we will teach our children about different religions. He's just totally apathetic about it all. He's not very self reflective so I know he has no idea what he believes. But he gets annoyed with me when I tell Savana that heaven is not real because he says I'm not letting her decided for herself. Well, sorry, I'm going to tell her what I think. I also tell her what other people think. Of course now she's 5 so she's likely going to believe what I believe but eventually I'm quite sure she'll decide for herself. In the meantime what does he expect me to do? Tell her everything is real?

Oh, by the way Stacy, miss you around here. How's everything going?

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Her phone is off now. Calls go directly to voicemail.
    Jesus, Chirssy. I can't imagine how you must feel right now. What the hell? I'm thinking about you non stop hon and I hope she gets off that bus too.

12. Default

Do you as a family know anyone from WA? Does it show you numbers? I would be calling the person she was texting around the time you first tried calling and see if they know where she is...

Chrissy, any chance she has a smartphone? GPS? I can find my DH via latitude anytime because of those settings. How scary.

Bridget, we believe in evolution and have talked to him about it. We've also talked about how quite simply, no one really knows.

And Bridget, everything is going really well. I'm just so busy I can't see straight trying to balance work and kids.

Chrissy - I hope she comes home on the bus. I'm anxious for you - I can't imagine how anxious you must be.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

What time does the bus come in?

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Chrissy -

Regarding how we teach our kids about religion, I'm gonna have a hard time keeping DH sharing some of his bitterness about religion with them. He is still very upset about being forced to be an altar boy and go to church "as long as you're in our house". And he never had the comparative view of religions that I got. So I'm at the point where I think religions are kinda neato from a historical perspective, whereas he only sees them as oppressive. I guess we're both right.

Yeah and see, I don't tell Oscar what other people believe. Because quite honestly, I think if it's religion - it's a total crock of **** and not based in reality. And I don't want him hearing it until he's old enough to process information with a good basis of truth and logic. When I explain myths, gods, etc. I explain them in context of superheros and cartoon shows. It's all equivalent to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Oscar is so creative, Stacy. Have you guys read any evolution books together? I should ask first if you believe in evolution.

I get annoyed every time I try to talk to dbf about how we will teach our children about different religions. He's just totally apathetic about it all. He's not very self reflective so I know he has no idea what he believes. But he gets annoyed with me when I tell Savana that heaven is not real because he says I'm not letting her decided for herself. Well, sorry, I'm going to tell her what I think. I also tell her what other people think. Of course now she's 5 so she's likely going to believe what I believe but eventually I'm quite sure she'll decide for herself. In the meantime what does he expect me to do? Tell her everything is real?

Oh, by the way Stacy, miss you around here. How's everything going?
    It's true that many kids will go on their own quest at some point in their life, regardless of what their parents teach/tell them. I think it's totally fine to tell them what you believe and know. Maybe she'll always believe like you do, but maybe she won't.

Bobbie and Jessica went to Church regularly as little girls. Jessica has been an Atheist forever. Bobbie has believed in everything from Wicca to Buddhism. She really wants to believe that there's 'something' out there, and that's ok. We have many interesting talks about it. It amazes me what she's picked up about other religions. Whether she believes in them herself or not, she has an excellent understanding of the various cultures associated with those religions and I believe it makes her more accepting and tolerant. Nothing wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by The10Eels View Post
    Do you as a family know anyone from WA? Does it show you numbers? I would be calling the person she was texting around the time you first tried calling and see if they know where she is...
    Absolutely no one in or near WA. I can't think of anyone we know west of PA except ShannonG. The two numbers she was communicating with earlier won't respond. The school has been trying all day as well because they have 3 'missing'. They don't know if they're related or not...one likely isn't, and the other is only suspected to be related to Jessica's absence because she told her mom she stayed with us.

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    Chrissy, any chance she has a smartphone? GPS? I can find my DH via latitude anytime because of those settings. How scary.
    No, I don't have smartphones with those capabilities on their phones. The only thing they have is the 911 locater that I made them all have turned on in case they were abducted. Jesi is smart enough though that she'd know how to turn that off if she were trying to hide from me. That might be why her phone is turned off now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    What time does the bus come in?
    5:15. It's going to be a long hour and a half. I'm really starting to feel like I'm losing my composure.

Intellectually, I know kids do this crap all the time. But as a mother, I cannot shake the rock in my stomach and it's growing bigger by the minute.

I have a plan with an administrator from the school that if she does not get off the bus, then I will email him and he will call the police. I will meet him there. I can't believe I just typed that out.

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Regarding how we teach our kids about religion, I'm gonna have a hard time keeping DH sharing some of his bitterness about religion with them. He is still very upset about being forced to be an altar boy and go to church "as long as you're in our house". And he never had the comparative view of religions that I got. So I'm at the point where I think religions are kinda neato from a historical perspective, whereas he only sees them as oppressive. I guess we're both right.
    That's rough. I can't really blame him for having that attitude. I probably would too.

I confess to only one complaint so far about the new office environment, and it’s so minor and yet kinda still bugging me. I took the train in this morning with a roll-aboard suitcase filled with meals and snacks and produce for the week, after paying $10 freakin dollars for basically a pound of organic lettuce with a boiled egg and a few tomatoes and cheese on it last week. I was really excited to have all this yummy stuff with me at work, and made my own poppyseed mustard dressing last night. Anyway, the admin on our floor gave me a hard time about taking up too much room in the fridge/freezer, saying that 200 people have to share it, and imagine if everyone brought in a week’s worth of food. (Nevermind the fact that she was annoyed that she needed the space to store a big shipment of communal stuff from Costco). She’s right, of course, but maybe – if there are 200 people on the floor - there should be extra fridges and freezers for people like me who don’t want to eat out every day in downtown $$$an Francisco, and want to keep a stash of groceries on hand. I used to have no problem with keeping this much food at work on other jobs. I guess I’ll just have to start packing a lunch every day. Bummer. I did meet a woman in the kitchen who said there are 2 farmer’s markets a week, which is cool, but I’ll bet they’re overpriced too.

I'm lucky I guess in that DH and I have pretty similiar views....we are both agnostic and the principles of the UU church are pretty easy to believe in and strive for..... In fact I first started going to church when we first were about to try to get pregnant over four years ago because I wanted to have that sense of community and the ability for our child to explore various religions.
    • The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
    • Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
    • Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
    • A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
    • The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
    • The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
    • Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

We have a dorm fridge in our office (the taller one) and it's just for two people. But it sounds like they're energy conscious enough that that idea would go over like a lead balloon where you work.

I think that probably most of us have pulled some kind of crap on our parents while in high school....except we didn't carry phones so our parents wouldn't have that option to try to get ahold of us.

Do you think she might have told Bobbi anything? Or maybe another friend?

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I bring a lunch every day and just use an ice pack in my lunch box. I have to admit though that if I couldn't get DH to pack it up in the morning for me, I would not be so good about bringing it.
    Helps to have it too when trying to lose weight since my home lunches are awfully healthy compared to what I would pick up in the cafeteria at work.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    • The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
    • Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
    • Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
    • A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
    • The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
    • The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
    • Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
    I can get behind all that. This type of information on the UU sparks my interest in it time and time again. I would like to check out a ... what's it called? a service? a mass? one day. I still have a mental block with the term "church", I have to admit. I associate that word with boredom, mindless regurgitation and heavy obligation. That was my experience anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    I can get behind all that. This type of information on the UU sparks my interest in it time and time again. I would like to check out a ... what's it called? a service? a mass? one day. I still have a mental block with the term "church", I have to admit. I associate that word with boredom, mindless regurgitation and heavy obligation. That was my experience anyway.
    I wasn't raised with religion so I call it church and don't have the negative associations with it. And I think I usually hear it referred to as a service. I think that I really like going once I can haul myself out of bed and dressed early enough on Sundays. We were just starting to get involved five years ago when we moved. There was one in our new city and I have been going off and on for the past four years. The minister they had was retiring and there was an interim one for two years and this fall we finally got a full-time one and I think that I like her. Still not ready to join though am trying to go more days than not. DH doens't like the singing so he doesn't come with me that much...I like the singing and told him he doesn't have to sing. Tends to be songs about love and peace and nature.
    Pretty much everyone there has a different background and different beliefs...but yet I get a sense of community that is really nice and respect for each other. I really like the learning aspect and I like the being able to question aspect. I might just end up joining one of these days if I can make it to service more often than not!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Chrissy, I wish I could be there with you to wait with you. It must be agonizing.
    Re: the UU talk, I went again last week to a service (they're called services, demigraf) for the first time in a month. I have a hard time dragging myself out on Sunday, even though the service isn't until 10:30. But I felt like I should keep Josh going, so he can stay connected to the class and the kids in it, and I should go for myself too. I was glad I did, but I was a little ambushed at the end by the minister trying to introduce me to some new members who are from the town I live in. I do not do well talking to new people on the spot.
    I know church is an icky word for some people, but I grew up in a UU church, so I don't mind using it.

It's going to be hard to get to church this sunday....last forecast I saw had us at a high of 1 and that will probably come later in the afternoon. So I'm thinking probably at least -10 in the morning.....

Chrissy thinking of you....keep checking the clock and looking for the announcent that she was on the bus and is very grounded or whatever you do.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36