Page 518 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 184184685085165175185195205285686181018 ... LastLast
Results 15,511 to 15,540 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Yes, I don't understand why there has to be meaning after life when we really should be thinking about the meaning *in* our lives. It seems counterproductive to live a good life because you're concerned about what comes after it. What about 'be good for goodness' sake"?

Ugh, Shannah, I'm glad you responded to her. I hate when people are like that.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by silverstar View Post
    LOL, she got her priorities straight, Ashley!
    Heck yes! We went and spent $300 on wine and champagne. lol

I'm curious if anyone has good ideas about teaching the concept of time. Josh asks me many times during the day if he can have his vitamins or open another door on the advent calendar. How can I help him understand what a day is, or what "today" means? He thinks "today" means right now. Like "I want to go to the library today" and I say "We can do that after school" and he says "But I want to do it today!" I've tried explaining the concepts but he doesn't understand. He misunderstands a lot of things, like he will say "last week we played bingo at school" when he means yesterday. Any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I'm curious if anyone has good ideas about teaching the concept of time. Josh asks me many times during the day if he can have his vitamins or open another door on the advent calendar. How can I help him understand what a day is, or what "today" means? He thinks "today" means right now. Like "I want to go to the library today" and I say "We can do that after school" and he says "But I want to do it today!" I've tried explaining the concepts but he doesn't understand. He misunderstands a lot of things, like he will say "last week we played bingo at school" when he means yesterday. Any tips?
    Kate, did you say in another post that you were using a schedule with Josh? Put the day of the week on the top of the schedule, and then every day you can go over "today is ___ (Saturday or whatever)", "yesterday was" and "tomorrow will be". And then if you go over the schedule with him, you can talk about what you are doing today and also ask him what he did yesterday. That way he can see the things he is doing today are, well, today! Hope that helps.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Good idea! I only made one schedule. I could make labels for each day of the week and tape them up every day over the schedule.
    Last edited by daylilies; 12-18-2010 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Good idea! I only made one schedule. I could make labels for each day of the week and tape them up every day over the schedule.
    That's perfect.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I also used to tell the kids that we could say go swimming in an hour. Well how long is an hour they would ask. My reply was it's the same as two blues clues. And than I would also show on a clock what time it was now and where the hands would be when we could go outside.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I also used to tell the kids that we could say go swimming in an hour. Well how long is an hour they would ask. My reply was it's the same as two blues clues. And than I would also show on a clock what time it was now and where the hands would be when we could go outside.
    That is exactly what my mom said to my blue's clues loving sister.

"We cannot withhold facts for fear of offending because the importance of the information outweighs people's right to not be challenged in their beliefs." -Maddy Reid
    In memory of all APA babies gone too soon; always loved and never forgotten

Well the shows on Nick Jr. are something like 24 minutes long and they fill the extra time with Puzzle Time, etc. But yeah I guess it's close enough if you include the filler.
    I don't think Josh gets any concept of time from TV though...he basically zones out and could sit there all day if I let him.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I think time is a really difficult concept to teach, and two Blues Clues episodes is as close to an hour as I would be able to estimate on my own without any other external ways to measure. We just got a toy clock so we can move the hands around and practice making different times, but I think this is early. I remember trying to learn how to tell time in first grade when I was in school. My twins still say "yesterday" for any time in the recent past and "when I was a baby" for any time in the less recent past.

There was also a post in NM about when kids know the days of the week, and a few people posted about how their kids know what day it is. Mine can recite the days of the week in order, but have no idea what day of the week it is. I wouldn't even know what day it is if I didn't have to go to work or have a schedule to maintain or a calendar in front of me.

So I think if you really want to get serious about teaching time, you can get a daily schedule going, with written activities and times for each ones, and a clock with hands that move, and that will keep him aware at all times about what time it is now, what you're going to do next and what time the next thing starts. That seems like a lot of work, though, and if you're not that serious, I'd just start incorporating time into your normal conversation. "It's five o'clock. I bet Daddy will be home in half an hour. Let's look at the clock together and see how I could tell that." Or "The library opens at ten o'clock, so we can leave in fifteen minutes. Let's set this timer to get ready, and I'll show you what ten o'clock looks like on the clock." Just incorporating more time into the daily routine will help make it fun, and not seem so daunting.

I agree with Lydia. Time is such a difficult concept. I personally never really tried to teach it, just figured the kids would grasp it eventually anyway. And they did. At least, the girls know

One thing that bothers me and I admit to being extremely lazy about...none of the girls are very good at being able to tell time by looking at a 'real' clock. I mean, Bobbie and Jessica can do it but they have to think about it rather than just glance at a clock and just know. I was stunned to learn that at both their schools they had digital clocks in the classroom. I don't think that helps kids learn how to tell time at all and I remember the clock with hands at school as being really helpful in learning to tell time.

It's not that we have digital clocks at home (except me & Rich's alarm clocks in our bedroom) but they've always had cell phones or mp3 players or any other trinket that told them digital time. Looking back, I probably should have been aware that that would create an issue. Poor Sydney really struggles with it

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I also don't teach time and figure like Chrissy they will get it eventually.

I had trouble and still have trouble telling time on some "traditional" clocks as well, only those without numbers though, like watches with just the dial so I just don't buy watches or clocks like that. I was sick with some random week long illness in 1st grade when they did the lesson on telling time from a clock and never caught up with it.

Luckily all of Ky's schools have reglar clocks in them so he can tell time fine and he knows what day it is and such. He's 8 and I have never taught him any of this information so unless you are homeschooling I wouldn't even think about teaching it. Ky learned the days of the week, like what yesterday and tomorrow was and which day those were when he was about 3. They went over them everyday in his preschool and they had a song about what day it was and such. It was pretty cute and sounded like the Adams Family song, but I can't remember it now.

Erin

Weird how kids these days can't tell time; my mom was telling me the other day that my 14 year old niece can only tell time on digital clocks. I think that's kinda sad but just shows you how digified our society is nowadays.

Funny how missing a few days at school sets you back...I can remember missing a week of school when I had chicken pox or something and when I came back everyone knew how to do decimals and I had no idea...took me a while to learn that concept!

Josh does a day of the week song at school to the tune of "Darling Clementine" that goes
    There are seven days, there are seven days, there are seven days in a week
    Sunday Monday, Tuesday Wednesday, Thursday Friday, Saturday

I don't mind waiting until he just understands it on his own, but I think it's frustrating for both of us when he doesn't understand what "you can have your vitamins once a day" or "You don't have school again until Tuesday" means.

Oh yeah, and I have a problem with real clock faces too. I have a lot of visualizing problems though.

Conner knows we go shopping on Saturday. When he asks for something, he'll often ask if he can get it on Saturday. It cracks me up...He doesn't know how long from Monday to Saturday is, but he knows if he gets up and goes 'to work' with Dad, then it's not Saturday.

My kids are all about friday because it's movie night. Kai wakes up almost every morning and says, "What day is it? Did I get my vitamin?"
    Most of our times are meal based. After breakfast, before circle time, after lunch, after nap, before dinner. We're on a pretty consistent schedule with the daycare. We also have a clock with moving hands that we play with and talk about and have done a few random workbook pages with clocks but they still don't quite grasp it.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Oh, that's another thing. My kids have no idea that breakfast is a morning meal, dinner is a night meal, lunch is a mid-day meal, etc. They frequently say upon waking, "I'm hungry, is it dinnertime yet?"

ETA: Even more confusing is the concept that certain foods are breakfast foods and you can have breakfast foods at dinnertime sometimes, like an omelet for dinner or cereal for dessert. It's so hard, the things they don't know.
    Last edited by 3andMe; 12-19-2010 at 08:25 PM.

Mine are very much aware of which meals are at one time of day. Over aware if you ask me. They have both always been on top of that! But that doesn't stop Kai from asking for oatmeal for dinner. They also often ask me how many minutes/miles are left if we are driving somewhere. If it's 5 or less they insist that I hold up one hand and do a countdown, and that I even go by halves which is not easy holding up half a finger.

Because I feel like Savana is having anxiety issues or something is going on with her, tonight I asked her and Kai if there is anything that worries them about the new baby. Savana said no, she's not worried about anything. Kai said he's worried he won't be able to "go to school downstairs anymore" (because they know I'm hiring someone to do the daycare for me). He is also worried that I won't be able to read him enough books and that the baby will drool on him.
    I was impressed with how valid his worries are!
    Last edited by Bridget; 12-19-2010 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    ETA: Even more confusing is the concept that certain foods are breakfast foods and you can have breakfast foods at dinnertime sometimes, like an omelet for dinner or cereal for dessert. It's so hard, the things they don't know.
    We had a problem with this too, so we used the shelves in our cupboard to organize our food by what type of meal it is. Sure a lot of things overlap and I also don't mind giving him cereal for dinner if he'll eat it, but it helped him realize, for instance, that M&M's are not breakfast. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Kai said he's worried he won't be able to "go to school downstairs anymore" (because they know I'm hiring someone to do the daycare for me). He is also worried that I won't be able to read him enough books and that the baby will drool on him.
    I was impressed with how valid his worries are!
    That is so cute!!

I did some Christmas shopping yesterday and my last stop was the mall. I only had to get gift cards for the girls, so I was in there 10-15 minutes tops. I came out and found two men in their early 20's circling my car. Initially, I thought the one was Bobbie's boyfriend and thought they were circling it wondering if it was Bobbie's mom's car. But as I got closer I realized I didn't know either of them. The one was staring intently at what I thought was my license plate, but then he reached out as if he was going to push my trunk button.

Holy hell did I get pissed. I got the nastiest look on my face and started marching to them as hard as I could. I was just on the brink of yelling, Hey! when they noticed me and started walking to the mall. I glowered at them as they past me.

I got in the car, locked the door and watched them in the mirror to be sure they were gone. I was shaking by then and when I tried putting the girls cards in the envelops, I dropped some under the passenger seat. I wasted 2-3 minutes messing with them and when I started the car and looked in my mirror before backing up, I saw them coming back to me! omg-I freaked!! My heart leaped, but I just rammed it in reverse and stomped on it.

I think I'm going to buy mace. That really shook me up.

Scary Chrissy! I thought maybe they were going to try to open your trunk to look for gifts, but why would they come back after you were in the car? I'm glad you're okay.

I had the feeling they were going to try to rob me. That's the only thing I can think of why they'd come back. They probably stood over by the mall entrance and watched me sitting there and discussing whether or not they could take me. Asses.

My car is a convertible. I had it alarmed and I'm sure they saw the red light flickering by the driver's side door lock, but they were probably trying to determine if they cut the top if the alarm would go off. Maybe...I dunno. It's a VW Cabrio...it's not the sort of car that young men drool over because it's powerless and totally a chick car.

I'm pretty sure if I spent any time in the mall shopping, I would have came out to an empty trunk.

Yeah, I was wondering what kind of car you had too. Good thing it's a chick car ;)
    I'm so glad you came out when you did! Makes me think twice about going places when I already have stuff in the car (which I do pretty often)

Yikes Chrissy that is scary. I would have been freaked out too.

My car is technically a hatchback I think so you can totally see into the trunk. I do go to multiple stores sometimes and maybe if we lived in a big city again or even some other city (I seriously know people who don't even lock their houses up here), I might try to get a cover for it or use a blanket or something.

I do not like driving in the dark at all so this time of year I don't really do much shopping because it gets dark so early unless DH is with me.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Hehe, I haven't been out at night in forever. I went for my inspection the other day and I had a front lamp out, and I didn't even know. The only time I go out at night is when I go to the gym in the afternoon! When I get done at 5, it's dark

It was broad daylight when that happened, and I don't live near any big city although that mall is in Johnson City...it's certainly not large by any stretch of the imagination. Unfortunately, it's an economically depressed area and poverty breeds crime.

Last year I bought our flat screen at Target and even though the mall was maybe 5 miles away, I drove over 20 miles back to my mom's house to leave the tv there before going to the mall. I had the caravan then and was afraid someone would see it through the tinted windows.

Can I whine and complain for a second? We have another freaking winter storm warning for today/tonight/tomorrow morning. The streets were just starting to get ok after the 22 inches we got a week ago. And I don't know where we are going to put more snow. I mean I know I live in Wisconsin and we get snow up here. But we don't normally get snow like this much this quickly.

And while i do have a snowblower, it's in a box in the garage since we are waiting to put it together this weekend when my dad comes up. Hopefully weather is good on Friday and my family makes it up by me!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

We haven't had any snow to speak of here, which is very unusual for upstate NY. We're near a finger lake and usually get lake effect snow at least. Last year our yard was covered (and deep!) from Oct-May.