Page 516 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 164164665065145155165175185265666161016 ... LastLast
Results 15,451 to 15,480 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

We don't do anything religious for Christmas either usually. DH sometimes does go to church or something but since he knows I won't help get the kids ready or anything and he'll have to do it himself, he'll usually go by himself. Unless it is to the cool church around the corner that lets kids draw and do crafts, then Ky will get himself together to go for that.

But DH's dad and a couple of his cousins are coming from Arkansas unfortunately IMO and his dad is kind of a drunken fellow, he only recently met his dad a few years ago. They get along good but I think he will encourage DH to go out and get drunk with him which I don't like, especially since DH's tongue swelling a few weeks ago. Our doctor thinks it was brought on by alcohol consumption. DH went to a friend of his wedding last weekend and had a few drinks then and told me his tongue swelled on one half of his mouth. So I'm hoping that his family will back out of their visit.

Other than them visiting we aren't doing anything but hanging out and opening gifts and baking sweets that I shouldn't eat so I will be giving them away to family and friends.

Erin

We don't do anything religious either; my MIL goes to a church service on Christmas eve and I've thought about going with her this year but probably won't.

Beyond my temptation to listen to Elvis's gospel songs, we don't do anything religious for the holidays here either. I don't even know if I'll do that.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I don't know that I have ever gone to church for xmas. Usually I'm out of town but we are staying home this year. I forgot that the service was that sunday but I remember thinking it sounded cool. Oh it's going to be about looking at the pagan roots of many holiday traditions focusing on the spiritual teachings of Earth-centered traditions. I hope to make it to this one.

This Sunday is a Christmas play called La Befana which says is based off an Italian folktale...sounds interesting enough too. Hopefully it won't snow like it did last weekend!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Eep! I just noticed one of my rings fell off! I think it must be in the house...I didn't leave except to take Josh to and from school and I think I still had it on after that.
    Guess it's a good sign though, means I've lost enough weight so that my rings need to be resized

Speaking of weight, I've lost 8 pounds since I started ww and hiking again 2.5 weeks ago. Which is super, except it also supersucks that I've lost 35 pounds and like, I'm still fat. Bah.

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    Speaking of weight, I've lost 8 pounds since I started ww and hiking again 2.5 weeks ago. Which is super, except it also supersucks that I've lost 35 pounds and like, I'm still fat. Bah.
    Ah, but it all comes off eventually. I have 9 pounds to lose to get to my goal weight and it's all in my tummy...I'm such a weird shape now...like I have one of those life saver things around my waist...icky!

I've lost 15 lbs. and my pants still fit. I don't understand it.

Kate, they fit the same? That's odd. Good job on 15 lbs though! And Stash it sounds like you're doing great too. It's such a slow process.

I will admit I am a little terrified about what my body is going to look like after this one. I've always kept myself in really good shape (outside of a few years right out of highschool where I ate a lot of cheeseburgers ) and I had to work really hard to lose my post Kai weight. I'm trying not to care..but I do.

Last night dbf got really dizzy and fell in the hallway when he got up to use the bathroom. It was really frightening and I couldn't go back to sleep after. So this morning I'm totally exhausted and really worried about him.

When Rich collapsed due to carbon monoxide poisoning, we didn't know what it was. One of the first things the dr told me is that it's common to happen to men, especially if they get up to go to the bathroom. I can't remember the details, but it has to do with an artery and going from laying down or sitting to standing up and going pee...obviously, it can be more serious because Rich's case was, but it also can be a common thing. If it doesn't happen again and he doesn't show any other symptoms I wouldn't worry about it much.

Will he talk to a dr? I had to fight with Rich to go to ER when he had that carbon monoxide poisoning. That was in 2003 and the last time he's been to the dr's.

How did Rich get carbon monoxide poisoning? This is interesting to me because remember how I mentioned that our furnace kept going out? Well, dbf discovered that ice and snow were blocking the outside vent/pipe whatever so he said the heater was shutting down because it has a sensor that will shut it off if carbon monoxide tries to make it's way back into the house. So he's been going out every morning and clearing it out...I wonder if he's getting a blast of carbon monoxide every time he does it?

Oh geeze Bridget. Try to get him to a dr asap because it's possible. If he's lethargic or has a headache at all, don't even give him a choice about it. It's been a long time, but if I remember correctly the first day after he passed out he wasn't too bad, but Rich definitely got to the point where he was sleeping 20 out of 24 hours.

Rich got his by driving his redneck, lifted Ford with fat mud tires on it up and down our neighbor's new driveway to pack the gravel down. He was leaning his head out the window to watch where the tires were hitting the ground. He only did it for about 20 minutes and all the windows were down in the truck, but that's all it took.

The only way to test for that is drawing arterial blood, and from what Rich says it's a bit painful.

BRIDGET GO BUY A COUPLE OF CARBON MONOXIDE SENSORS/ALARMS TODAY. And in the meantime, crack a couple of windows. Please please take me seriously. The issue with your furnace shouldn't be taken lightly. If the exhaust was blocked and it keeps going out, it's backdrafting toxins, including carbon monoxide, into your home. I don't want to scare you, but it can kill people, quickly. If Mark unblocked the vent and it's still going out, it could very well be an issue with negative pressure in the house, sucking air IN the vent instead of blowing it out, causing the pilot light to be blown out.

Dude, please get a qualified tech out there and tell him all of this...

AAnd I agree with Chrissy, get him to the doc.

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    BRIDGET GO BUY A COUPLE OF CARBON MONOXIDE SENSORS/ALARMS TODAY. And in the meantime, crack a couple of windows. Please please take me seriously. The issue with your furnace shouldn't be taken lightly. If the exhaust was blocked and it keeps going out, it's backdrafting toxins, including carbon monoxide, into your home. I don't want to scare you, but it can kill people, quickly. If Mark unblocked the vent and it's still going out, it could very well be an issue with negative pressure in the house, sucking air IN the vent instead of blowing it out, causing the pilot light to be blown out.

Dude, please get a qualified tech out there and tell him all of this...
    I have to second this!

We had to by law have a carbon monoxide sensor in the house before we moved in and could take possession of the house.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

The pants may be a little looser, but I was kind of hoping they'd be falling off by now...LOL
    I saw your post about dbf, Bridget. I hope you can figure out what it is and take care of it soon!

We have carbon monoxide alarms. Believe me, when he mentioned the problem with the furnace the first thing I did was check the batteries in them.
    I asked him again, because I've asked several times, if he was 100% sure that none was getting into our house and he took the panel off the furnace to show me how it works and where the valve is that shuts off any from coming back in the house. It's a brand new furnace, installed last winter, so I trust that our house is safe.

He says he's fine now and if anything feels off or weird at all today he'll go in to the dr tomorrow. I'm not satisfied with that. I wish he'd go today but I can only say what I think and let him decide.

Well we just had one of Josh's friends over and at least now I know Josh is not alone in his behavior LOL
    This kid picked up presents from under our tree, shook them and said "what's this?" wouldn't listen to me, said "No" to me, ran around our bedroom and messed up the bed, wouldn't eat the soup I made then said he liked cheese sticks, but didn't eat it when I gave him one....wow.

Oh man...I just got a sympathy card from the animal hospital

Where is everybody? Sorry I'm such a post ho today, but I found a cute comic. Didn't someone say something about "God gave us two ears and only one mouth because it's easier to talk than to listen"? I found this...I don't want to post it directly because it has inappropriate language, but I thought it was funny
    http://www.cslacker.com/images/funny...s/makes_sense/

So... what do you guys do on Christmas? We used to have a long standing tradition of going to the movies and eating Indian food (my favorite), but Abbey's too little for a movie and I think even the Indian restaurants around here are closed on Christmas. I think we'll go stir crazy just sitting at home but I don't know what else to do, since most places are closed.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

We don't have any real traditions yet. We do Josh's stocking, then I can't remember if we open the rest of the presents or have breakfast first. I guess we'll see what Josh wants to do. We used to go to my aunt and uncle's and sometimes my mom or my dad's but it gets too hectic so we're not doing that on Christmas day this year.
    By the way I have to make an appetizer for the day after Christmas when we go see my mom. My mom is making chili. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Well we just had one of Josh's friends over and at least now I know Josh is not alone in his behavior LOL
    This kid picked up presents from under our tree, shook them and said "what's this?" wouldn't listen to me, said "No" to me, ran around our bedroom and messed up the bed, wouldn't eat the soup I made then said he liked cheese sticks, but didn't eat it when I gave him one....wow.
    I'm telling ya, Josh is totally normal. lol. Weren't the parents there too? I'd be mortified if Conner acted that way in front of me. Unfortunately, I think he'd be more apt to act up if I were there. I can't imagine him doing that at a friends house without me, but one never knows for sure. He hasn't gone to a friend's house yet.

Oh man...I just got a sympathy card from the animal hospital
    That was very thoughtful of them.

Where is everybody? Sorry I'm such a post ho today, but I found a cute comic. Didn't someone say something about "God gave us two ears and only one mouth because it's easier to talk than to listen"? I found this...I don't want to post it directly because it has inappropriate language, but I thought it was funny
    http://www.cslacker.com/images/funny...s/makes_sense/
    I think I may post this on FB.

Quote Originally Posted by AbbeysMom View Post
    So... what do you guys do on Christmas? We used to have a long standing tradition of going to the movies and eating Indian food (my favorite), but Abbey's too little for a movie and I think even the Indian restaurants around here are closed on Christmas. I think we'll go stir crazy just sitting at home but I don't know what else to do, since most places are closed.
    I always make a big dinner. It starts by be woken up too early by the kids. I make everyone take turns opening their gifts (pure torture!) so we can all see what they got and I can watch each kid. With so many of them, if they all go at it at the same time I can't possible see their reactions. Then we're lazy for a while and Rich usually cooks breakfast. After that, I'll get dressed and start cleaning house and cooking for everyone else that's coming over.

A couple times Rich & I went to the movies, but that was when Bobbie and Jessica were really small. Someone would watch them and we'd go.

We don't have any real traditions yet. We do Josh's stocking, then I can't remember if we open the rest of the presents or have breakfast first. I guess we'll see what Josh wants to do. We used to go to my aunt and uncle's and sometimes my mom or my dad's but it gets too hectic so we're not doing that on Christmas day this year.
    By the way I have to make an appetizer for the day after Christmas when we go see my mom. My mom is making chili. Any ideas?
    Cornbread! Goes great with Chili.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    A couple times Rich & I went to the movies, but that was when Bobbie and Jessica were really small. Someone would watch them and we'd go.
    If my MIl and FIL end up coming out maybe we'll do that...

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Sorry about the long post!!!

Bridget, I hope dbf is okay! I have had a busy couple of days at work and at home, and I missed the passing out episode. I'm sure that was scary.

Kate, I agree, from what you've said it does sound like Josh is well within the range of normal and sometimes all it takes is to be around other kids for a while to realize that.

For our Christmas traditions, we're still establishing that. When we were childless, dh and I would enjoy a long hike outside somewhere that is normally fairly crowded, like Muir Woods. I have cooked dinner myself for a group of friends. Now, my sister usually hosts a potluck Christmas dinner for anyone who doesn't have nearby family - this year, like last year, the theme is going to be king crab legs. I have promised to be good and stop encouraging the twins to ask their aunt if she got crabs from her friends (honestly, they came up with that on their own and I just laughed so hard they kept saying it). During the day this year, I'm going to have a Christmas brunch and present opening at my house, so I'll probably make some baked goods of some sort. So no time for hiking. Most of the restaurants around here are closed, Chinese and Indian and Thai and Nepalese and Korean and what-have-you. I learned my lesson years ago that it's important to have food in the house on major holidays, as I dissolved into tears trying to drive through one fast-food place after another on a hungry Thanksgiving when I was all alone.

Kate, one of my favorite appetizers, which is easy to make and super-yummy and would go well with chili is miniature twice-baked potatoes. Just get mini red potatoes, as small and well-shaped as possible, boil gently until they soften, cut in half, and use a melon-baller to scoop out the insides. Mix that with milk or sour cream (or both), shredded cheese, salt and pepper, and diced ham if desired. Arrange empty potato skins on cookie sheets, put the mixture in mounds on top of the skins, top with a little paprika and chives, and take to your party and bake until heated through and cheese is melted. Super yummy and very popular.

I erroneously thought Claire was brilliant the other day. We were at a bookstore and she walked over to a book and read the words on the cover: "The Fire Cat" and I was thrilled and bought that book and a couple of other early reader books. I handed one to her in the car and she looked at it on the drive home. At one point she said "Uh-oh. Puddle's in the grass." Dh and I didn't know what she was talking about, but since it was a book about a dog getting a bath, I said maybe it was from the bathwater. So later that night I was reading the book to her, and halfway through the book another dog entered the story, and his name was Puddles. I asked Claire which word was Puddles. She pointed to the right word. I asked her if she'd seen this book before. She said "In the bookstore today, when you bought it." I was so excited! I took the book out after bedtime and had dh read it, and he and I both drew the same conclusion, that she'd read the word Puddles. She's been able to read and identify some words lately, but that seemed like a more advanced and complicated one. Every time I thought about it, tears came to my eyes. My little girl, reading! It's been one of my greatest joys throughout my life, and I'm so excited she's on the verge of sharing that pleasure with me.

So the next day, I showed the book to my mom, and told her about it. She looked through the book, and pointed to the page that had a picture of a puddle in the grass. Wah wah wah sound. Whoops. Well, that was a really nice 24 hours I had there. And I'm sure I'll have that thrill again.

Last night the preschool hosted a holiday sing-along. It was so sweet. I couldn't see a thing when they were up at the front, but then all the kids were able to leave and sit with their parents, so we sang songs like Jingle Bells and the 12 Days of Christmas and Dreidl Dreidl Dreidl right next to our kids. So it was another moment of sheer joy as a mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    ...Now, my sister usually hosts a potluck Christmas dinner for anyone who doesn't have nearby family - this year, like last year, the theme is going to be king crab legs. I have promised to be good and stop encouraging the twins to ask their aunt if she got crabs from her friends (honestly, they came up with that on their own and I just laughed so hard they kept saying it). ...
    I laughed so hard at this it got my boss's attention & I had to share. What a hoot!!!

We used to try to squeeze grandparents (the ones that couldn't attend our Christmas Day dinner) on Christmas Eve, but so far this year we don't have any plans for that. I wonder how they all intend on getting their gifts to the kids? Unless they don't plan on buying the grandkids anything...

I confess I haven't talked to my father in nearly 2 months because he's changed so much as a person since he's been with his wife that I can hardly stomach to have a conversation with him any more. My brother stopped in a couple weeks ago and it was all the same BS-those two (my father and his wife) sat there and attempted to gossip about everybody and everything for the entire visit. It's so sickening. My father was never like that-in fact, one of his mantra's was "Don't worry about me. Worry about you and I'll worry about me." That was what he'd say about other people if I tried to tell him stories (or gossip) as a teen. It was noyb what others did. I cannot comprehend how he could change so much. It makes me sad.
    Last edited by missychrissy; 12-17-2010 at 01:12 PM.

Okay Lydia, I am laughing at crabs too ROFL!!! That is hilarious, I would probably keep encouraging it, I'm so bad!

We only have a couple Christmas traditions, we go bowling on Christmas Eve as a family with my aunt and her kids. In OH our whole family goes on Christmas Eve and it is really fun, we have a lunch there in a rented room and everything and give each other gifts. Last year DH got on my nerves because he kept teasing Ky about not hitting any pins and was making Ky look like he was going to cry and I got really pissed off and had to keep myself from blowing up at him at the bowling alley. DH doesn't like to bowl and anytime he has to do something that he doesn't like to do, he will make it unenjoyable for everyone else. So I have already spoken to him about that and told him I will go with the kids myself if he plans on acting like an a$$hole again. He said he does want to go and he will behave, but I am already planning on getting 3 lanes, one for me and him, one for kids and one to escape him on the other side of the bowling alley.

Other than bowling, we also open a gift from the grandparents before bed on Christmas Eve. We bake Christmas cookies and take them around and give them to people starting on the 23rd all the way through the 26th. I also have a tradition of making New Year's nachos for New Year's Eve, which is always a big hit. I never make nachos any other time of the year as good as I make them on New Year's Eve.

Erin

I hope he behaves Erin, at least for your kids' sake.