Page 513 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 134134635035115125135145155235636131013 ... LastLast
Results 15,361 to 15,390 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I made that spiced wine last night, and it was so good! I had to improvise a little, but it came out really well.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by rhiannasmoms43 View Post
    Not saying that I welcome evangelists into my home, but what is the big deal of being an atheist graduating in a church?
    I know a lot of Christians who attend grad ceremonies in non-religious building...

Some things just seem so silly to me.
    I agree with this... As long as the graduation ceremony didn't have any religious connotations, its just a building. IMO

3. Default

Oh.. and update on me and the apartment and such

I went and looked at it the other day, and all I can say is hell effing no. I mean... I want out of here SO badly, and want my own space, but this place looked like something out of a horror movie. The building was falling apart, and there were stairs missing leading up to the door. Plus the neighborhood was really bad. More than 2 known meth labs in the area. Not taking my girls into that environment....

But on the plus side -- I am on the wait list for the income based apartments, and from what I hear they are fairly quick to get into. and I will get a two bedroom for cheaper than this one bedroom

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I made that spiced wine last night, and it was so good! I had to improvise a little, but it came out really well.
    ;) I had a glass tonight...and it made me merry...lol...I spilled a little on my white t-shirt, too...bah!

Oh, yuck Ash, it doesn't sound like a good place. I hope you get into the other place fast!
    I may have had a little too much of that wine...and I liked it sweet so I put quite a bit of sugar in it and it didn't end up sitting well with me...I told DH I felt squishy and he was like uh, what does that mean? And I said I dunno, I just feel squishy. LOL
    I just came back from a Chuck E Cheese party...apparently Josh has made quite an impression on the birthday boy because they're not even in the same class but he talks about Josh all the time. He's in the other morning preschool class. Josh was the only one not from the birthday boy's class!

I confess I always do a double take when everyone calls Ashley by her name as that's my name, too...lol

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by silverstar View Post
    I confess I always do a double take when everyone calls Ashley by her name as that's my name, too...lol
    This made me giggle..

Are you a '86 baby too?

No, '81 here but there were always at least 2 other girls called Ashley in my class at school, so I was always Ashley A....lol...and it confuses some people here in the UK since it's mainly a boy's name here!

9. Default

lol.. yeah. It was pretty popular all through the 80's...

There were almost always multiples in my classes too. I hated having to use my last initial

One year it was really bad because we had 3, and we were Ashley R, Ashley S, and Ashlee T.

Quote Originally Posted by The10Eels View Post
    lol.. yeah. It was pretty popular all through the 80's...

There were almost always multiples in my classes too. I hated having to use my last initial

One year it was really bad because we had 3, and we were Ashley R, Ashley S, and Ashlee T.
    LOL, yes! In 6th grade, we were Ashley A, C, and K!

My mom says she named me after a soap opera character...real classy, eh? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    I know just what you mean, Erin, but I never let that stop me from enjoying the old rock music with blues roots. I agree that it was a different time and people just didn't worry so much about it then. Nowadays if someone stole a song I don't think I'd listen to it even if it was good but it was sort of a different age. I do feel really bad for the old blues musicians, though, and it's really a shame they aren't more recognized for what they did. It really is amazing how much they contributed to modern music.
    My boss is a really into blues and old blues music. Apparently, they still have quite a following. They're just not mainstream.

Me personally, I can listen to it in limited doses and enjoy it a great deal, but I prefer a thumping bass....something that makes me wanna dance.

Quote Originally Posted by rhiannasmoms43 View Post
    Not saying that I welcome evangelists into my home, but what is the big deal of being an atheist graduating in a church?
    I know a lot of Christians who attend grad ceremonies in non-religious building...

Some things just seem so silly to me.
    I wouldn't like it at all. No logical reason-just purely emotional but I'd almost rather have my kids miss the ceremony than attend one in a church. And I have zero doubt if the school planned on holding the graduation in a mosque there would be outrage and it would be all over the national news.

mmm...maybe I should get myself the ingredients and try it out tonight. I know I'm not supposed to be drinking at home (my own self-imposed rule) but one time can't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by The10Eels View Post
    Oh.. and update on me and the apartment and such

I went and looked at it the other day, and all I can say is hell effing no. I mean... I want out of here SO badly, and want my own space, but this place looked like something out of a horror movie. The building was falling apart, and there were stairs missing leading up to the door. Plus the neighborhood was really bad. More than 2 known meth labs in the area. Not taking my girls into that environment....

But on the plus side -- I am on the wait list for the income based apartments, and from what I hear they are fairly quick to get into. and I will get a two bedroom for cheaper than this one bedroom
    Good decision, and I hope the wait isn't too long.

Oh, yuck Ash, it doesn't sound like a good place. I hope you get into the other place fast!
    I may have had a little too much of that wine...and I liked it sweet so I put quite a bit of sugar in it and it didn't end up sitting well with me...I told DH I felt squishy and he was like uh, what does that mean? And I said I dunno, I just feel squishy. LOL
    I just came back from a Chuck E Cheese party...apparently Josh has made quite an impression on the birthday boy because they're not even in the same class but he talks about Josh all the time. He's in the other morning preschool class. Josh was the only one not from the birthday boy's class!
    at feeling squishy!!

And Josh. He sounds like such a darling little boy.

It's warmed up today-I think it's in the 30's. I'm still wearing 2 pairs of pants and I was actually feeling too warm! lol

I came home from my weekly shopping trip to see the house was a wreck and the kids were all lounging around watching tv. I confess I jumped on them a bit about it and said no one was eating dinner till the house was clean. If it had been done already, we could have gotten our tree today.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

12. Default

hahaha! My friend Emma's mom did the same to her!! and I think my mom said thats where she decided she liked the name too!.. How funny if we were named after the same character...

I always get people that ask if my middle name is after the band Captain and Tennille.

Did your mothers watch The Young and the Restless?

My mother choose my name from a Dolly Pardon and Poirter Wagoner song, Christina. I've only heard my mom sing it.

Oh yes, Josh is adorable...with other people...
    I'm just kidding. He has his wonderful moments. And sometimes I think he's getting better in general. I got some really nice pics of him decorating the tree last night. I might have to change my sig again. The lights from the tree made really nice lighting for the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post

My mother choose my name from a Dolly Pardon and Poirter Wagoner song, Christina. I've only heard my mom sing it.
    Yes, I think she did! OMG, is that Dolly Parton song the one where she dies and is afraid of the dark? That song makes me weep so bad!

Oh yes, Josh is adorable...with other people...
    I'm just kidding. He has his wonderful moments. And sometimes I think he's getting better in general. I got some really nice pics of him decorating the tree last night. I might have to change my sig again. The lights from the tree made really nice lighting for the pictures.
    He is a cutie!

Quote Originally Posted by silverstar View Post
    OMG, is that Dolly Parton song the one where she dies and is afraid of the dark? That song makes me weep so bad!
    God no! I don't know what song that would be. Christina is a song for her first born. It's a lovely song but I like the way my mom sings it. I just found it on youtube and listened to the record version for the 1st time.

I have a cousin Ashley, born in '81 who was named after Ashley Abbott on Y&R.

Also I don't have a problem with graduation being held in a church either. It was just funny to me that some people were commenting that they wouldn't care if the ceremony was held in a mosque. That would never happen in that area. There was suppose to be a mosque built there on some dilapidated property a couple years ago and the people got together and stopped the construction because they "didn't want that type of element" in their community. So I have a feeling that there would be a ton of outrage about having a highschool graduation at a mosque where most of the student body are Christian.

The original person who filed the complaint was Jewish and not atheist. The local news reported that she felt that she shouldn't have to get her diploma with a huge cross behind her and that she didn't want to look back at pics and videos of the occasion and see something that went against her belief system on prominent display. I can kind of get the reasoning, but I'm sure they can just cover the cross like they do on some Christian holidays and hopefully resolve it that way.

18. Default

ok, so I just double checked with my mom.. She had WANTED to name me Brooke. And that was a soap opera character.

She doesn't remember where she got Ashley from..

God no! I don't know what song that would be. Christina is a song for her first born. It's a lovely song but I like the way my mom sings it. I just found it on youtube and listened to the record version for the 1st time.
    LOL, now that I think of it, it might "Genie is afraid of the dark" or Janie...lol...I did think that would be really sad to be named after that song... A lot of Dolly Parton's songs make me cry; "Coat of many colors" reminds me of me growing up poor and being made fun of for it.

Wow, I just looked up the lyrics..It's "Jeannie's afraid of the dark" if anyone's interested...just really sad and scary though.

What? I love Dolly. I have never heard of that song and don't think I want to. It sounds like something that would make me have dark thoughts while laying in bed. And I try to avoid those.

I just burnt the hell out of this pizza pasta I just made and I am SO annoyed. I never burn our food. I meant to put it on broil just for a minute of two in the oven to brown the cheese on top and flipping forgot about it because I got involved in a conversation with Savana and Kai at the same time. One was about whether or not popcorn was safe for birds to eat and the other was about why Kai thinks it's more comfortable to wear his underwear backwards.
    Anyway, I was able to peel the solid chuck of burnt cheese off but I'm out of cheddar so had to use a combo of swiss, parm, and goat cheese which should be an interesting combo to say the least.

Yep, a lot of her songs are sad in a very warped way!

Ugh. My parents just sent me an email inviting me to dinner tomorrow. They are having my cousin over to dinner along with her mother (my uncle's ex-wife who divorced my uncle when I was an infant and the only time I've ever met her was at her son's wedding) and also my cousin's mother in law who I've never met. They are visiting town. My father is on a diet and the last time I ate dinner there he served me 3 oz of chicken breast, unseasoned, and plain boiled white rice. It was so bad I told my mother I was leaving to go eat some more dinner and she wasn't even offended. Dad says he is making grilled chicken for dinner. Added to which I HATE going anywhere on Sunday nights and I have a ton of work waiting for me next week so just want to relax at home. How can I get out of this?
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Oh no Gwenn! Can you eat something before you go?

Sorry you burnt the pasta Bridget, that does sound very interesting though. And Josh likes to wear his underwear backwards too.

FYI, the spiced wine is very good cold...maybe I will feel less squishy tonight LOL
    I decided to cut myself some slack with the alcohol, no plans of going cold turkey just yet. I decided I've done well cutting back on soda and eating better, no need to limit myself even more right now.

Oh no Gwenn! Can you eat something before you go?
    I will have to - but I really want somebody to tell me I'm not being a jerk if I don't go. Dad had to lay a guilt trip on my by saying my former aunt would really love to see me. And I have to say it really sucks being the only child who stayed on this side of the country. My brother and sister don't have to deal with this kind of unexpected last-minute invitation to see "family" members who are absolutely no relation.

Can't you get a migraine? Or diarrhea?

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    I don't get migraines, but diarrhea - that's a thought!

I would just say I was busy and not go. I wouldn't feel the least guilty about it either.