Page 512 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 124124625025105115125135145225626121012 ... LastLast
Results 15,331 to 15,360 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

  1. #15331
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    In a van, DOWN BY THE RIVER!
    Posts
    8,435

    Default

    Kate, I'd take her up on the date; it might lead to a good friendship.

    If I weren't living so far away from my family, I definitely wouldn't have facebook. I do like to post pics of the kids for family and nose through theirs but a lot of people do just post some random stuff on there. And I hate the political stuff. It always turns me off people when they post something political, especially if I disagree....lol

  2. #15332

    Default

    I am not ashamed to admit, I love FB. I have maybe one or two friends on there that I don't know in real life, and have unfriended all the annoying people, too. I hid all the games, and I LOVE all the lovely updates I get from family, current, and old friends.

    What actually really annoys me isn't FB, it's the whole debate about FB. It's a social tool, that's it. And I'm happy to use it.



  3. #15333

    Default

    Oh, I will take her up on the playdate, or whatever. I just don't want to get dropped again. It sucks.
    I like fb for the social aspect but I just wish everyone didn't feel like they have to broadcast their political views all over it too.

  4. #15334
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,694

    Default

    I LOVE FB too. I have a mix of people on there from old classmates to family to current friends and some from online. I like the updates and seeing what others are up to and being able to add my own if anything interesting is going on. I especially LOVE the pictures part. We don't live near family and when building the house my dad and sister wanted almost daily picture updates to see the progress. It was so much easier to stick them on FB than email them.
    I do have my boss as a friend though so I'm pretty careful about not doing or saying anything I wouldn't want him to see!

    I just found DH's half sister on FB this week and was able to reconnect with her. He's like 11-12 years older than she is and we were just starting to get to know each other when we moved (she was just starting college.....before it was weird when we are in the 20's and they are in junior high...not much in common). I had lost her email so it had been like 3 years since we last communicated. And we don't hear from their dad all that often. So hopefully now we can chat sometimes and maybe when the weather is nice she and her fiance can come up and visit.
    My Dh was basically raised an only child and I would love for him to have some connection with his two half siblings.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  5. #15335
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    I'd just meet with her for something to do. Life gets hectic and for me, I find it extremely difficult to nurture any friendships irl. They take time, and I don't have it. It doesn't mean I don't like people though and every once in a while it would be nice to get with someone and their kids and catch up.

    I love Facebook too Stacy. I hide the Christian and Republican things people say that tempt me to tweak and I ignore the rest. I'm really getting disturbed about all the discussions about what is or is not appropriate for Facebook. imo, it's personal. THAT PERSON can choose what to post or not post. Period. That's not really directed any anyone in this thread, but it's all over lately. I say, mind your own Facebook!! lol
    Last edited by missychrissy; 12-10-2010 at 10:49 AM.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  6. #15336

    Default

    I like FB okay. I have had to defriend a lot of my old high school classmates though because they were spouting too much religion for my taste and really it has to be a HUGE amount to get on my nerves. It was way past huge for about 10 people so I defriended them.

    I don't check FB or post much but I like to have it available to check and see what people are up to. Also one of my closes IRL friends is on quite often and even though she lives 2 miles away, I send her FB messages to see what she is doing on weekends and such and if she wants to get our boys together for playdates. Her son and Ky are both really fun and rough boys and they play really well together.

    I admit though that I want to post a question on FB: "Why do people all of the sudden seem to love Ronald Reagan so much?" I mean REALLY! I think most of the people who put his pic up and talk about how they wish he were still president don't really remember anything from the 80s when he was president. But I am not into starting political wars on FB. Maybe one day soon though as I do like an interesting conversation/conflict at times, but I don't want to alienate a lot of the people I do like on FB because I don't love Ronald Reagan and actually remember how horrible crime and gangs and drug use were when he was in office because of his cuts of social programs amongst other reasons.

    Erin

  7. #15337
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    I agree Erin. I don't think he was a great president, but I do think he was a great man. If that makes sense. I'm interested in him and his relationship with his wife. It appears they had a real love for each other and I believe there's a book of his letters to her somewhere. I'd love to read it.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  8. #15338
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,694

    Default

    All I remember is Just Say No!

    I don't like any president though that caters to the rich and help the rich get richer and the poor stay poor or get even more poor. Don't think that everyone needs to make the same or be the same class level.....but something is very wrong when a country has over 400 BILLIONAIRES and yet so many who work still can't feed the family.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  9. #15339

    Default

    I also like facebook. I block anyone that bugs me. My cousin's wife is on her last leg if she posts one more thing about how happy she is we don't have "socialized medicine" so she could get into her dr right away because her back is killing her. I just want to slap her upside the head because she's a freelance photographer so I know her insurance is because of my cousin's job and if affords her the luxury of being able to follow her dreams and still have health insurance. It just irks me and I want to comment so bad but I don't want to start crap in my family. Not worth it.
    But I love staying in touch with my old friends that I normally would only have contact with a few times a year.

    I confess that I'm pretty clueless as to what the facebook "debate" is that you are all talking about. Though my mom hated facebook. She thought it was just too much public information to put out there. My brother posts words and pictures that she didn't think he should and drove her nuts because he was just graduating college and she was sure it would hinder his job prospects. Then Obama was giving a speech one day where he told a student who asked a question about how to become president where Obama answered with a laugh to be careful what you put on facebook. My mom called me right away and said, "Did you hear??? Obama says STAY OFF FACEBOOK!" lol
    She was always dramatic like that and taking things out of context. Cracked me up.
    Last edited by Bridget; 12-10-2010 at 12:23 PM.

  10. #15340
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Maybe it's not a debate actually, but many people have been complaining about what other people put on their own facebook and that bugs me. It is their own facebook--let them post whatever.

    I know I post some raunchy stuff sometimes and I assume that my lighter-of-heart friends have me hidden so they don't have to deal with it. I also block my kids from seeing the good stuff. Or my boss & dad if it's really bad. But it's MY facebook...if I want to post pics of Palin looking like a pig with lipstick on, I will. If anyone posts crap like that about Obama, it's my right to hide their feed (or unfriend them) but I certainly don't have the right to say it's not the place for it.

    That's just my opinion. The only people I worry about what they're posting is my kids...and I'm more worried about who they're friends with than the actual content of what they post.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  11. #15341
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,694

    Default

    I don't really care that much about what others post either....I can ignore, hide, unfriend, delete if it's on my wall. I might think whatever updates they are doing are lame or roll my eyes....but doesn't usually bother me much.

    Except my sister. I harassed her a bit because she needs to be a little more careful and not say anything about work or work people and now she doesn't.

    I do know of people who have been fired because of FB...either revealing a little too much about a patient (not even names but just a little info can idenity people in a smaller community especially if a story was on the news)....or people who have said something negative about the organization. It's been pretty well communicated that if we say who employs us and than say anything negative and it gets back....grounds for dismissal. Luckily for me, I'm pretty proud to work where I do and would have to think really hard of something negative about it.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  12. #15342
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,694

    Default

    So how cold is it supposed to get by you?

    Monday morning is supposed to be -15 with wind chills of -25 to -30. I don't mind the cold so much because it usually doesn't snow. But yeah that is a bit much for me! Especially since it's not Jan yet and that is usually when we see weather like that.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  13. #15343
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    I think my dh was telling me they're predicting 3, but he didn't say what that would be with wind chill. The other day it was 25, but it had a 'feels like' of 8 because of the wind.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  14. #15344
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    In a van, DOWN BY THE RIVER!
    Posts
    8,435

    Default

    Jennifer, it's been that cold here the past few weeks and has only just now started to get back in to the 20's/30's here. Winters are hard to get through! I'm ready for summer already.

    My in-laws took Travis out to play today and while they were out, I took a nap...it was bliss! I didn't get home from the Christmas party til midnight and then Cash was up to eat at 5:30 and then up for the day at 7, so it was nice to catch up on some sleep!

  15. #15345
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,694

    Default

    You know it's bad when they start called 22 warm.....which I guess compared to negative 15 it sort of is. LOL

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  16. #15346

    Default

    IDK, I don't look at the weather forecast anymore. I know it's going to be cold and that's all I need to know. LOL

    It's fine if people want to stink up their fb with their opinions but unfortunately they also stink up my page with the things they post...there was an anti abortion article going around when I first joined fb, and it had a picture of a dead baby attached to it. I thought it was really gross that I had to log into my facebook and see that until it was old enough to scroll off the page. And it was someone I like, so I didn't want to block them, either. That was before I learned how to block individual posts.

  17. #15347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    You know it's bad when they start called 22 warm.....which I guess compared to negative 15 it sort of is. LOL
    I know! Today was in the 30's and I was so excited about how "warm" it was. We finally got to enjoy the snow! We were outside this morning and this afternoon.

  18. #15348

    Default

    They trip out here when it gets to the 20s and 30s. It is pretty funny, even after me being here for over 10 years, I still laugh about the "winter blast" of temperatures in the 20s. They go on and on about the "Lows" of the day. I'm always like, man, in OH we were happy if the high was 25 or 30 because then we could go outside without our snot freezing in our noses (I know TMI, but that is what I think LOL!).

    And Chrissy, I do like Reagan as a man. I like most all presidents for the men they are/were though. I appreciate and understand the fact that they are all just men and make mistakes and love and hate and make good decisions sometimes. I get all consumed sometimes with history about the families of presidents and presidents themselves. So I understand how people can love Reagan, the man. But most of the things I see are about how we need to go back to the politics of the 80s and even though I had a lot of fun in the 80s I am just not one to go backwards on anything.

    Erin

  19. #15349
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,941

    Default

    High today was 74, low was 47. It's supposed to be 83 on Monday! I have to say, it's unseasonably warm for December even by our standards. Usually it's in the 50's/60's in December, although our coldest temps are usually January, then it starts to warm up again in Feb and by March we are back in t-shirts and sandals. The problem is the 30 degree difference from low to high. I had to dress for the cold because it's cold when I leave for work and my office stays cold most of the day. Our room opens out onto a courtyard and there's so much brick it never heats up so I'm cold all day and I usually wear a shirt and cardigan but if I leave the building I realize it isn't cold at all and feel silly in my cardigan.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  20. #15350
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    And Chrissy, I do like Reagan as a man. I like most all presidents for the men they are/were though. I appreciate and understand the fact that they are all just men and make mistakes and love and hate and make good decisions sometimes. I get all consumed sometimes with history about the families of presidents and presidents themselves. So I understand how people can love Reagan, the man. But most of the things I see are about how we need to go back to the politics of the 80s and even though I had a lot of fun in the 80s I am just not one to go backwards on anything.

    Erin
    Very well said!
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  21. #15351
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    And Chrissy, I do like Reagan as a man. I like most all presidents for the men they are/were though. I appreciate and understand the fact that they are all just men and make mistakes and love and hate and make good decisions sometimes. I get all consumed sometimes with history about the families of presidents and presidents themselves. So I understand how people can love Reagan, the man. But most of the things I see are about how we need to go back to the politics of the 80s and even though I had a lot of fun in the 80s I am just not one to go backwards on anything.

    Erin
    ita with you, and that's all I see too when I see people post about how great he was, his politics. imo, his politics stunk!! That being said, I wouldn't have told him that to his face. I've tried to think of how to explain it so it would make sense, but I can't. I think for me, Reagan's heart was there. Whether I agreed with his ideas or not, in his heart I do think he believed he was doing right. Bush, on the other hand, I'd leap at the chance to tell him how much he stinks. I don't think for one moment he has any redeeming quality about him.

    On another note, I was listening to an Elvis gospel song on the bus today and it made me long for one of his Christmas records. How ironic is that? Of course it's not because I believe in what he's singing about, but I love Elvis and my father had his Christmas album. I think it reminded me of my own childhood Christmases.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  22. #15352
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,694

    Default

    So Gwenn, on Monday there is going to be almost 100 degree difference in temps between us!!! crazy!

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  23. #15353
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,941

    Default

    Wow, that is crazy! Have to say, I'm glad I'm here and not there! But I do miss snow around Christmas time. That's the only time I miss it! I enjoy wearing jackets and sleeping under layers of blankets but I hate, hate, hate being cold!
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  24. #15354
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    I hate being cold too. Very, very much.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  25. #15355

    Default

    People think I'm crazy because I never really disliked President Bush. I though he was the funniest presidet EVER!!! Those skits that Dave Letterman used to do "Great Moments in Presidential History" when he would show a clip of FDR or JFK saying a great historical speech, then the Bush clip of him looking strange or saying some weird sound or chest bumping a Marine used to crack me the heck up!!! I just thought and still think he is hilarious.

    Plus I guess it helps that one of his programs allowed us to get 30K downpayment assistance for our house when we purchased it. I didn't like the majority of his politics though (especially the invasion of Iraq), but like I said above, I usually like something about all presidents. Usually it is some redeeming quality they have. I do think that Reagan was an honorable man. George W was just hilarious though. Clinton is just the epitome of like a party animal to me. I always see him as an extremely intelligent frat boy. I have weird views of some presidents LOL. I used to love FDR when I was a girl until I found out he was a cheater, but he is still my favorite president.

    Oh, and Elvis did have some good Christmas songs. I like his Christmas songs and his gospel songs (of all music for a heathen woman like me to enjoy) the best.

    All his other songs just remind me of thievery (sp?) because I know most of his hits were stolen from old blues musicians who didn't get money for their work.

    Erin

  26. #15356
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    People think I'm crazy because I never really disliked President Bush. I though he was the funniest presidet EVER!!! Those skits that Dave Letterman used to do "Great Moments in Presidential History" when he would show a clip of FDR or JFK saying a great historical speech, then the Bush clip of him looking strange or saying some weird sound or chest bumping a Marine used to crack me the heck up!!! I just thought and still think he is hilarious.
    omg-I forgot about those!! Ok, he did have one redeeming quality!!

    Elvis touched on using others work...from 2nd hand accounts it appears that in his early years he was strongly influenced by those singers and at least vocally he gave them credit. Things were different then, music was more shared so the art could grow.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  27. #15357

    Default

    Yeah, I really don't blame Elvis for using some good music. Mostly the record companies for not paying the people who's work they used and provided no compensation to the artist who created it. I love all those old songs though, but it blew my mind how many of his songs were old Blues songs when I was in highschool. I used to play the trumpet and took extensive lessons in blues and jazz from old school guys. It was a lot of fun, and they introduced me to a lot of really old music that was basically a lot of early rock songs before they were rock songs. It just blew my mind.

    But it seems that always happens. Music repeats itself a lot.

    Erin

  28. #15358
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    Yeah, I really don't blame Elvis for using some good music. Mostly the record companies for not paying the people who's work they used and provided no compensation to the artist who created it. I love all those old songs though, but it blew my mind how many of his songs were old Blues songs when I was in highschool. I used to play the trumpet and took extensive lessons in blues and jazz from old school guys. It was a lot of fun, and they introduced me to a lot of really old music that was basically a lot of early rock songs before they were rock songs. It just blew my mind.

    But it seems that always happens. Music repeats itself a lot.

    Erin
    I know just what you mean, Erin, but I never let that stop me from enjoying the old rock music with blues roots. I agree that it was a different time and people just didn't worry so much about it then. Nowadays if someone stole a song I don't think I'd listen to it even if it was good but it was sort of a different age. I do feel really bad for the old blues musicians, though, and it's really a shame they aren't more recognized for what they did. It really is amazing how much they contributed to modern music.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  29. #15359

    Default

    There is a story on the local news here about a fight over where to have a high school graduation already. http://www.ajc.com/news/cherokee/che...on-764528.html
    They usually have it in a church but there was a challenge to have it moved elsewhere because some students don't feel comfortable having to graduate in a church.

    An athiest group confronted the supporters of the church graduation on the local news station by stating that if they found a large mosque to hold the graduation in, that there would be a whole lot of controversy and outrage over that. I confess I laughed out loud at the woman who said that even though she was a staunch evangelical Christian, she wouldn't mind her child graduating in mosque. I actually guffawed!! Cause, um....a graduation in a mosque would NEVER happen!

    Erin

  30. #15360

    Default

    Not saying that I welcome evangelists into my home, but what is the big deal of being an atheist graduating in a church?
    I know a lot of Christians who attend grad ceremonies in non-religious building...

    Some things just seem so silly to me.
    Me: Julie-46 DH: Kelly-52 DD: Rhianna-17 DS: Gage-He's 3!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •