Page 507 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 74074574975055065075085095175576071007 ... LastLast
Results 15,181 to 15,210 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

A simple recipe we use for mulled wine-heat some red wine up in a pan and add some cinnamon and orange slices

You drink it cold though, right? not hot?

It was awesome, Gwenn. I remember stuff like that working a while ago. Like when he was 2 and a half or so and would ask for cookies for breakfast I'd say something like "ooo, I wish we could have cookies for breakfast, but we can't. how about some cereal?" and he say "okay!" That trick doesn't work anymore in that case. But I was overjoyed the first time it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by silverstar View Post
    A simple recipe we use for mulled wine-heat some red wine up in a pan and add some cinnamon and orange slices
    OMG Why did I know about this. Yum! My mouth is watering. Over wine. And it's 5am. And I'm pregnant.

Kate, I am so excited that it worked out with Josh last night!
    And about the coffee. I just have one cup a day as well and sometimes dbf has one but not always. I always make 4 cups and if there's any left over the next morning I heat it in a sauce pan on the stove. I'm sure that's some kind of coffee drinker faux pas but I can't waste. I'm incapable.

ETA: Gwenn, I think you should go for the change. It sounds like it would be good for you. I know you don't want to let down your students and parents and but you have to fulfill yourself before you can be of any service to anyone. And evaluations are just as important.
    Last edited by Bridget; 12-02-2010 at 05:12 AM.

Oh, and I forgot, one of my full time daycare kids last day is today, unexpectedly. Mom lost her job. I knew he'd be done in Feb or so (or cutting hours) because she's having her 2nd baby and staying home for a bit but this puts a huge dent in the income that I was expecting up until then. It almost doesn't make it worth it for me to pay a sub but I have no choice.
    So goes my life!

Kate, mulled wine is drunk hot. That's why it's a Christmas drink here.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Tonight I tried helping--making it fun--I'm more of a "let's just get it done" type of person and I forget to make it a game. So tonight he said "I want you to take my bath toys out of the water"--he has a whole alphabet of foam letters--so I said "how about you take out the ones that are red" so he did that, and he continued doing it by color with my help with no complaint
    I'm so happy that worked!!! It might not always work, but if it does even 1/2 the time, then you'll be 1/2 stressed. Or so my reasoning says... ;)

mmm...that sounds yummy. I've never heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Oh, and I forgot, one of my full time daycare kids last day is today, unexpectedly. Mom lost her job. I knew he'd be done in Feb or so (or cutting hours) because she's having her 2nd baby and staying home for a bit but this puts a huge dent in the income that I was expecting up until then. It almost doesn't make it worth it for me to pay a sub but I have no choice.
    So goes my life!
    Sorry Bridget. That really stinks. What about the other child that had unreliable hours? Can you keep her now?

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I really like the idea of mulled wine, but I find the taste overwhelming. We used to get a group of friends and rent a cabin for New Year's weekend in Yosemite and play board games and go for walks and drink mulled wine and then dress up really fancy and hit the local club for dinner on NYE. I can still remember the smell of the mulled wine. I have a super-sensitive nose.

I prefer hot-buttered rum for a Christmastime drink. Or hot cocoa. It's been years since I've had hot-buttered rum.

Speaking of, after being sick for about 3 weeks I think Soren and I are starting to get better. I was complaining about not being able to smell anything on Thanksgiving and I actually used a nasal spray in hopes that I could taste my dinner, and dh looked at me and said he had very little sympathy. He said me complaining about not smelling anything is like Donald Trump complaining about his brief period of bankruptcy in the 80s. I cracked up, because as you can tell from that dh does not appreciate how keen my sense of smell can be.

Bridget, do you have any people on a waitlist? I thought you were going to get rid of the flaky mom so you could get someone more reliable in her place. Also, my preschool has a two-week notice (no quitting unexpectedly), that you might want to consider. Even if we leave that day, we still need to pay for the next two weeks. It makes sense for financial planning.

Gwenn, I say go for it. I know it would be really hard to leave, but you could do a world of good in the new position as well, and it sounds like something that would be better for you in your current situation.

Oh, I know what you mean about sense of smell! DH was sick on Thanksgiving and he was disappointed that he wouldn't be able to taste it as well.
    I hope your reasoning is right, Chrissy--I think I will also make an effort to take each day as a new experience, rather than saying "Oh not this AGAIN" when something happens all the time. I have to kind of tuck each day away as done and try not to carry the baggage from each day, I guess.
    I tried hot buttered rum last year I think, but it was very strong, not very buttery LOL

I have never heard of mulled wine before but sounds pretty yummy!

Kate, sounds like a good trick to help with Josh!
    When I had a child who was being very sassy and not listening, instead of yelling or getting all frustrated with her, I just calmly said until she was willing to listen and be nice, I wasn't going to play with her and when she was ready to behave, let me know. I proceeded to get out my book and read....looking like I was ignoring her but I wasn't. Took less than 10 minutes before she came over and said she was sorry and was going to be nice and could we please play now.

Gwen, better to go for a change than to stay put and feel burnout.

Bridget, hope that you find another full-time child soon!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Kids often behave differently for their parents, and even differently for each parent. Conner went through a phase that I thought would never end where he pitched a royal fit every evening for over an hour. Kicking, screaming, veins-popping. It was awful, but any kind of talking or trying to hold him exacerbated it. Just letting him have at it on the couch or floor was the only thing that worked. It broke my heart and sometimes annoyed the heck out of me and also made me want to cry, but seriously nothing would work except letting him have his fit.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Sorry Bridget. That really stinks. What about the other child that had unreliable hours? Can you keep her now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    Bridget, do you have any people on a waitlist? I thought you were going to get rid of the flaky mom so you could get someone more reliable in her place. Also, my preschool has a two-week notice (no quitting unexpectedly), that you might want to consider. Even if we leave that day, we still need to pay for the next two weeks. It makes sense for financial planning.
    I already got rid of the flaky mom and she said she'd be layed off most of december anyway so I don't think she'd come back even if I wanted.
    Lydia, I sort of kind of have a waitlist. I have one family whose 3 year old I used to care for until her mom had her baby in august and they are going to come back as soon after the baby as I come back to work. They bring the three year old on occassion but not regularly until they start back full time with both kids.
    Also, my doula is interested in part time care initially to trade for her services and hopefully to continue from there for one or two of her children. But that won't start until mid january
    So down the line I will be full if all goes as planned. I knew I'd have low enrollment for a bit but was just counting on 2-3 more months from this one.
    AND I do have a 2 week notice policy written in. But when this mom came early crying yesterday because she lost her job, I couldn't bring that up. I know they struggle as it is. I don't make a great business woman, no two ways around that. Someday when I have my own center I will surely hire someone else for that part.
    Last edited by Bridget; 12-02-2010 at 01:21 PM.

I got stuck in a daycare situation where I had to pay for the 3 girls all summer, all full time. In prior years we had been eligible for daycare assistance but not the final year. During summer vacation my daycare cost $50/week more than I brought home. I nearly quit but I reasoned that by the end of the year I was still making more than I would if I sat home so I stuck it out. Just to receive my lay-off notice in September when they went back to school.

I had made arrangements with the daycare facility to pay the huge balance I had accumulated during the summer (because there was no way I could really afford to go to work for free) before the end of that school year but it wasn't going to happen. I ended up including them in my bankruptcy filing. I still feel bad about it whenever I remember that. Maybe I should have quit my job, but then I wouldn't have gotten the unemployment benefits for 2 years while I went to school.

Well, I did it. I emailed my lead SLP and told her I was interested in moving to the other position. I worried about it all night and sent the email this morning, and afterward I got so nervous I was sweating. She emailed back within 1/2 an hour and thanked me for letting her know I was interested. She said she had that position and another one to fill and if she could find 2 SLPs to hire she would give me the eval job and have the new hire replace me. If she couldn't find 2 SLPs, she'd rather leave the eval job open than move me and have my job open because then my kids would go without services (and the district would owe compensatory services - if the eval job stays open it just means a longer waiting list for kids to be seen initially). But if she finds someone, the job is mine! I can't believe she made that decision that quickly!

ETA: Bridget, I understand about the payment thing. It's one of the reasons I'm afraid to work for myself - I just don't want to have to complicate my relationship with my clients by asking them for money!
    Last edited by Gwenn; 12-02-2010 at 05:36 PM.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Gwenn that's awesome!!! Congratulations!

That's great Gwenn!

Just wondering if you have measurements for this? Me & dh want to try it this year.

17. Default

I confess Audri gave Charlie her first concussion today...

Quote Originally Posted by The10Eels View Post
    I saw this in NMs & MIG. Poor baby. And how scary for you! How is she doing now?

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

Oh, I hope Charlie is OK now!

Chrissy, I'll find those measurements for you....we've gotten lazy lately and you can buy it already done in the bottle here; you just heat it up but before we had that convenience, we used to make it from scratch so I'll find it for you!

Gwenn, I'm glad you get to move jobs; I hope it all works out for you.

As for me, I've got cabin fever...we have been snowed in since Tuesday.

I hope she is doing much better now, Ash!
    Josh tried to get up at 4:30 this morning..groan...I think a big part of the problem is we get the day off to a bad start every single day. He's up between 5 and 6:30 every day. Up so early is never good for me. I managed to get him to stay in his room until 5ish and then I went in there and cuddled with him until 5:30, but essentially we've both been up since 4:30. I think it would make a load of difference if he would sleep until like, 7:30...but he hasn't done that since he was an infant.

Ash! What happened? How scary.
    Kate, don't fight the beast. Seriously, I gave up long ago and I'll go to bed at 8pm if I need to. My kids are up before the sun most days.
    But speaking of sleep, I have crazy insomnia in the middle of the night. I'm exhausted in the evening and fall asleep but then I'm up at 1-2am and cannot fall back asleep for at least and hour or two and then my alarm goes off at 5. What the hell? It's not that I can't sleep because I'm so pregnant and I don't think the baby is waking is me. I've just never had this problem before. I can usually sleep like a champ.

Quote Originally Posted by The10Eels View Post
    Oh no! Is she ok? What happeneed?

Chrissy, I'll find those measurements for you....we've gotten lazy lately and you can buy it already done in the bottle here; you just heat it up but before we had that convenience, we used to make it from scratch so I'll find it for you!
    Thank you!

I hope you get to go out soon. Being snowed in that long doesn't sound like fun.

Josh tried to get up at 4:30 this morning..groan...I think a big part of the problem is we get the day off to a bad start every single day. He's up between 5 and 6:30 every day. Up so early is never good for me. I managed to get him to stay in his room until 5ish and then I went in there and cuddled with him until 5:30, but essentially we've both been up since 4:30. I think it would make a load of difference if he would sleep until like, 7:30...but he hasn't done that since he was an infant.
    Would he go to your room and cuddle in bed? What about the living room? When Conner wakes before me on weekends & Rich isn't here, I turn on his shows and let him climb in bed with me. I doze on and off while he watches tv. I'm not a morning person either.

Speaking of...I almost didn't wake up in time this morning and nearly missed my bus. I keep feeling like I'm missing something.

Oh no poor Charlie and poor Momma!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I realized what I forgot....my lunch!!

Poor Jess...this is the 2nd time I've made her sprint for the bus. I don't think she quite knew what she was getting into when she decided she'd go to a charter school & ride the bus with Mom!! lol

Mulled Wine recipe:

Ingredients
    1 bottle red wine

60g/2oz demerara sugar

1 cinnamon stick

grated nutmeg

1 orange, halved

1 dried bay leaf

60ml/2fl oz sloe or damson gin (optional)

Preparation method
    1.Put the wine in a saucepan with the orange, sugar, bayleaf and the spices.

2.Heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. Taste to see if you want the wine sweeter, and add more sugar to taste.

3.Off the heat, stir in the sloe or damson gin if you are using it.

4.Strain into heatproof glasses and serve at once.

What is demerara sugar?
    He won't stay quietly in bed with us...It's only fair that one of us should get to sleep! LOL
    It doesn't matter what time I go to bed at night, I have a hard time getting up in the morning. Yes we can go downstairs and watch tv and I can doze, but it would be much better if we could just sleep through to a normal hour
    I've given up trying to get him to sleep in, but I can still hope, right?

What is demerara sugar?
    Just the posh word for brown sugar, I believe!

Mulled Wine recipe:

Ingredients
    1 bottle red wine

60g/2oz demerara sugar

1 cinnamon stick

grated nutmeg

1 orange, halved

1 dried bay leaf

60ml/2fl oz sloe or damson gin (optional)

Preparation method
    1.Put the wine in a saucepan with the orange, sugar, bayleaf and the spices.

2.Heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. Taste to see if you want the wine sweeter, and add more sugar to taste.

3.Off the heat, stir in the sloe or damson gin if you are using it.

4.Strain into heatproof glasses and serve at once.
    Thank you!! I am definitely trying this over the holiday

29. Default

She and Audri were tryin to play with the box that their christmas dresses came in. Well Audri is very possessive lately, and pushed charlie.

She fell back and hit her head on the floor which is basically concrete with an extremely low pile carpet laid on top. A few minutes later she threw up, so I left work and took her to the ER.

They confirmed it as a concussion, but didn't keep her for a cat scan since she didn't loose consciousness. They want me to keep her under close supervision, and not allow her to sleep for more than 4 hours at a time...

------
    sorry, I copied that from general. She seems to be doing fine today. She wasn't happy to be woken up during the night, but went back to sleep fairly quickly

Oh my goodness. I'm so glad she's ok. Those things happy so fast