Page 474 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 374 424 464472473474475476 484 524 574 974 1474 ... LastLast
Results 14,191 to 14,220 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Gah! how big are they? Thankfully we don't get really big bugs out here in MA.
    I was in Mexico once with my dad. I was probably about 16. I got up to go to the bathroom and I turned on the light to see a GIANT bug go scuttling away. I went to my dad's room down the hall and asked to sleep in his room. LOL
    I didn't appreciate the chameleons on the walls either...*shudder*

Something really weird happened to me today, and it's kind of dumb, but it's bothering me!
    I use stumbleupon, which is a site where you check off your interests and it finds random sites for you...it's pretty good at finding things I'm interested in. Today it found a random chat site called compassion pit, or something like that. You go and click on if you want to rant or listen and it pairs you up with someone. I said I wanted to listen and it paired me up with someone and we chatted for a while, and it went fine except I got disconnected once but it paired me up with him again, and then suddenly this is what happened: ("me" is me)

Venter: like you said, things should be better there
    Venter: I think so too
    Me: i hope so
    Venter: though the way you're repeating yourself verbatim is creepy
    Me: huh?
    Venter: you've said exactly the same phrase a few times
    Me: i tend to say the same things a lot, like cool, or that's good
    Venter: which is something most people don't do (and many bots/programs do)
    Venter: but longer stuff like "oh I think you are the person I was just talking to
    "Me: well now I'm hurt lol, you think I'm a robot
    Me: i said that more than once?
    Venter: three times actually
    Me: the program must be screwing up, i only said that once
    Venter: you said the culinary arts line before too
    Venter: verbatimMe: i only said that once
    Venter: ...Venter: cheese
    Me: cheese?
    Venter: and if I say "bot" or "program" ?
    Me: um...
    System: Your chat partner got disconnected. Please wait while we find you a new Venter.
    System: A new chat partner has entered your chat (#1382).
    Venter: hi
    Me: you again?
    Venter: all I said was hi
    Venter: how would you know if it's "me again" or someone else?
    Me: just trying to figure out if you're the person I was just talking to
    Me: i don't know, that's why i asked lol
    Venter: if I am then this thing sucks at giving "new" partners
    System: Your chat partner got disconnected. Please wait while we find you a new Venter.System: A new chat partner has entered your chat (#1383).System: Your chat partner got disconnected. Please wait while we find you a new Venter.

The weird thing is I can't find the "report abuse" button anywhere on the page even though it comes up in this copy/paste. Dude, it really pissed me off.
    Last edited by daylilies; 10-13-2010 at 04:12 PM.

Very strange. It could have been a computer glitch. FB will repeat my post sometimes too.

I'm feeling bummed out today. I don't think there's anything in particular going on...just sort of melancholy. I have reason to celebrate too and even bought some wine but didn't even open it. I learned at a meeting yesterday that the Arts & Sciences college at Cornell (my dept) is already understaffed for IT people, so instead of facing lay offs, they could actually hire more people.

AND--the best part is late this year or early next year I should be getting a promotion! So why am I feeling so 'meh'?

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Yeah, it just pissed me off that he called me a bot. LOL
    Sorry you're feeling "meh"--I get that a lot too, where things are fine but I'm just not "feeling it" or whatever. Congrats on the future promotion though!
    Oh, I met up with the woman who used to help me teach that church class today--I flaked out on Sunday because I wasn't prepared and she saw that I was stressed and invited me out. We had a nice talk. She's had her share of marital problems too, so it's nice to have a friend to get together with who gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    T Every so often I worry that my kids don't get enough exposure to taking direction from other adults because I'm kind of their only caregiver and always have been. But I know in my heart that for us it couldn't be any other way and that the pros outweigh the cons.
    Remember that, every day, you are doing something that most parents cannot (for a whole variety of reasons). Your kids will benefit from many things other kids don't experience, and that will make up for the few things they DO miss by being slightly more isolated from the "real world."

Besides, the real world sucks. Keep them away from it as long as you can.

We saw a moose in our front yard this morning. It was HUGE.

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    Remember that, every day, you are doing something that most parents cannot (for a whole variety of reasons). Your kids will benefit from many things other kids don't experience, and that will make up for the few things they DO miss by being slightly more isolated from the "real world."

Besides, the real world sucks. Keep them away from it as long as you can.
    Amen! It makes me feel better to hear someone else say it!
    And yay for moose! I think they are so cool. When I visited my friend in Alaska we'd see them right in her back yard.
    Last edited by Bridget; 10-13-2010 at 06:34 PM.

8. Default

mmmm moose! yummy lol

We saw a moose in our front yard this morning. It was HUGE.
    That's awesome! I've never seen one.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I almost ran into one on a foggy morning coming back from Yellowstone. It was so huge I almost thought I could drive through its legs and under its belly.

Yikes!

Ok seeing a moose is COOL! Are they mean?

I worry about bears by me....though they most active around May/June. And once in a while we hear reports of cougars. I'm scared of my backyard at night! I almost look forward to the day when they put the road in back there and some houses....though it means I will have to actually close the blinds in the back of the house.

Chrissy, we all have days like that. Mine tend to happen more depending on hormones and how much sun we have seen or not seen.

So it looks like we are likely getting back on the road to adoption. I'm going to an info meeting tomorrow. DH seems to be pretty on board but of course finds it scary. Last time around, I had it set I wanted a baby...he's not that into babies/toddlers and we decided it wasn't worth spending 30-40K for a baby. We are now thinking about a little older kids...much cheaper and would be a good fit for us and our lifestyle. It will be bye bye guest room....that we just finished decorating and furnishing. LOL

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I worry about bears by me....though they most active around May/June. And once in a while we hear reports of cougars. I'm scared of my backyard at night! I almost look forward to the day when they put the road in back there and some houses....though it means I will have to actually close the blinds in the back of the house.

Chrissy, we all have days like that. Mine tend to happen more depending on hormones and how much sun we have seen or not seen.

So it looks like we are likely getting back on the road to adoption. I'm going to an info meeting tomorrow. DH seems to be pretty on board but of course finds it scary. Last time around, I had it set I wanted a baby...he's not that into babies/toddlers and we decided it wasn't worth spending 30-40K for a baby. We are now thinking about a little older kids...much cheaper and would be a good fit for us and our lifestyle. It will be bye bye guest room....that we just finished decorating and furnishing. LOL

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I've always wanted to see a moose! We plan on going to Yellowstone one of these days, so I hope to see one then! (Reminds me of the opening credits for Northern Exposure...remember that show?!)

My tendonitis and TMJ are killing me lately; there's not a day that I don't have pain somewhere in my body!

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post

I love bears! They're not scary at all. You just have to be smart and not corner one, or get between a momma and her baby.

I'm so happy for you in your decision to pursue adoption! Let us know how the meeting goes.

Quote Originally Posted by silverstar View Post
    I've always wanted to see a moose! We plan on going to Yellowstone one of these days, so I hope to see one then! (Reminds me of the opening credits for Northern Exposure...remember that show?!)

My tendonitis and TMJ are killing me lately; there's not a day that I don't have pain somewhere in my body!
    That really must be so hard.

I don't think I've ever seen a moose. Not outside a zoo anyway.

We saw bears in Alaska too. And those did make me nervous. My friend lived in a tiny cabin on a mountain and one night the friend that had flown there with me and I decided to camp for a bit to give her and her husband a few nights away from us since we were staying for 3 weeks. Well we set up a tent across the river because her husband said the bears are never on that side of the river. He went on and on about how he has never seen one over there and then later that night when we were sitting around the bonfire next to the cabin we heard some noises by the tent and sure enough...bears. They were sniffing around the tent!
    I was terrified but we still slept in there.

I need to clarify...black bears don't worry me. Grizzlies? I would have peed my pants Bridget!! Did you guys at least have the pepper spray?

Quote Originally Posted by The10Eels View Post
    mmmm moose! yummy lol
    I was thinking the same thing...a little bit of bottled moose would go good right now
    Me: Julie-46 DH: Kelly-52 DD: Rhianna-17 DS: Gage-He's 3!

Bottled moose?

Yes, moose are NASTY mean. I'd be more concerned running into one than a black bear, for sure. Black bears don't worry me a bit and we have plenty of those. Grizzled we don't, and I'm glad for it. We have some mountain lion, and they terrify me.

It's kinda sad. We live in this amazin urban wildlife interface and I can't let my kid really "run free" for fear of him getting pounced on by a big cat. Sigh.

They released mountain lions somewhere near me. Apparently they were native here a long, long time ago and someone got the idea that they needed to come back.

I haven't seen any, or heard of any being spotted. I'm not sure how I feel about them.

What we have had are the bobcats. I'm sure one was rocking our pop-up one night when my dad, brother and I were camping in our back yard. Black bears hadn't yet returned (on their own or otherwise) to our area but dad had seen tracks of bobcats for years in the woods behind our house. I distinctly remember it's sounds...very deep and guttural rumblings as it was rummaging for something. The entire camper shook like 5 men were rocking it violently. Dad even said, "Oh sh!t" and that scared me more than anything! I mean, if my Dad was scared, it had to be serious! We laid still and it went away...The next day there were huge cat prints in the driveway.

I loved living in the country. I couldn't live anywhere else. I'll take my chances getting mauled by an animal. That's just nature. I'm much more scared of the urban animals...people!!

Where we live now, there's a large pack (or maybe a number of packs?) of coyotes. I love sitting on the porch at dusk and listening to them. I find it soothing.
    Last edited by missychrissy; 10-14-2010 at 11:05 AM.

24. Default

Yes, moose are NASTY mean.
    they can be really tame too, but under no circumstances do you get between a momma moose and her baby(ies).

My best friend in elementary school had 'pet moose'. There were two that lived in her back yard, and her mom would put out flower boxes of food for them. They were always there, and never bothered us.

But then again we weren't dumb enough to mess with or taunt them either.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Yes, moose can inflict a LOT of damage. Bison are by far the worse out of all of them, though.

Thought y'all would get a kick out of this-my MIL has been on and on about how babies sleep through the night at 6 weeks; so, tonight, Cash is 6 weeks to the day and she says to me today, "he'll be sleeping through the night tonight, you'll get loads of sleep." LOL...hmmmm...it's that easy, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by silverstar View Post
    Thought y'all would get a kick out of this-my MIL has been on and on about how babies sleep through the night at 6 weeks; so, tonight, Cash is 6 weeks to the day and she says to me today, "he'll be sleeping through the night tonight, you'll get loads of sleep." LOL...hmmmm...it's that easy, is it?
    That's hilarious.
    She hasn't met my three year old son who still does not sleep through the night.

I confess that I have conflicted feelings about the fact that there is a minivan in my driveway. Dbf traded my car in last night since it won't fit 3 carseats.

Sigh, I remember the days I was driving my drop top pontiac sunbird bumpin' Tupac. God, I was cool.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    That's hilarious.
    She hasn't met my three year old son who still does not sleep through the night.
    Heh, Josh still wakes up at 2 a.m. sometimes and asks if it's time to get up.