Page 473 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 3734234634714724734744754835235739731473 ... LastLast
Results 14,161 to 14,190 of 44505

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by The10Eels View Post
    SLDFKG;HS;DKFLJNASLDIB=aq

I confess.. I should NOT wander.
    It's a jungle out there!
    Janeen - 30, Jimi - 42; Married October 21st, 2006;

2. Default

lol.. I'll keep my jungle comments to myself.....

So I usually pride myself on keeping everything in my head--appts, playdates, Josh's school stuff, etc. but lately it seems I can't keep anything straight. I keep losing things, forgetting appointments and schedules and I'm paranoid that one day I'll forget to pick up Josh at school. LOL So I finally bought a little planner. Now I just need to not lose that...
    I feel like I'm flying by the seat of my pants with this church class I'm doing, but it's fun. The kids are so funny and they make me laugh every time and I get a new perspective on life whenever we get together. Last week we were talking about Mother Teresa and I mentioned that she and Princess Di died within a couple days of each other back in 1997. One of the girls piped up, "That's the year I was born!" I was like wow, way to make me feel old. LOL
    It really blew my mind.
    I have a weird feeling I've told you guys that story before, but I wasn't sure. Sorry if it's a repeat!

Teens are great!

I don't think you told us that story before...if you did, I totally missed it! I can be a bit of an airhead myself and couldn't live without a calendar telling me where I need to be.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Erin, there's a fine line between having an opinion and being judgmental. It's always ok to have an opinion, and perfectly appropriate to have a tsk, tsk response when people do things that aren't in the best interest of their kid.

stash, I work in software development. I found myself just now trying to describe the types of projects I do as fascinating and important, but the truth is the job's not that sexy. LOL.

I think software development is fascinating and sexy.

It's fascinating and important if you think it is.

I confess Savana just threw a cossal tantrum when I took her to her dance class. She didn't want to go in her class. I'm totally completely drained and confused. She loves her dance class. You guys would not believe the way she acted. I posted about in in new moms. I never post there but I'm looking for any insight. This behavior is not at all like her. I wonder if she's getting nervous about the baby? She never acts anything but happy about it.

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    It's fascinating and important if you think it is.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    I confess Savana just threw a cossal tantrum when I took her to her dance class. She didn't want to go in her class. I'm totally completely drained and confused. She loves her dance class. You guys would not believe the way she acted. I posted about in in new moms. I never post there but I'm looking for any insight. This behavior is not at all like her. I wonder if she's getting nervous about the baby? She never acts anything but happy about it.
    So sorry ... that sounds totally unlike her. I hope you figure out what's going on.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I confess I gave out stickers as a reward to some of my kids at work today. Most of my kids aren't interested in stickers but I have some new kids who seem to be more motivated by it and need something to work toward so I'm giving it a try. One of the little boys, after picking out his sticker, gave me one because he said I did a good job and I earned one, too! I wore it on my shirt all day. Hey, a little positive reinforcement for a job well done never hurt anyone, right?
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

11. Default

That is SO sweet!

My kid is the most awesome. I was reading him bedtime.stories tonight and he asked me if I could sleep in his bed all night long. I said "Aw honey, no, I can't do that" and he asked why. I told him that I might need to pee, and that Gus would definitely need boobies, since he needs boobies all the.time. Oscar said, "Those are good reasons, Mama. Peeing and giving Gus boobies makes sense. It's okay, I'll come to your bed instead. I love sweet Gus."

I cannot believe how incredibly well this kid is doing with his brother.

Could it have just been that she wasn't in the mood to go, and it escalated to a tantrum when she felt 'forced'?
    Either way, I think her having some separation anxiety about the baby would be totally normal, even if she's happy and excited about it she's old enough to understand that a baby brings big changes, and that can can be kind of anxiety provoking.

ETA, Just read your other post. I think it was probably a nice combination of her being tired, rushed, and torn between wanting to exert her authority over the situation (not go to class) and doing something fun (going to class). IMO if she ever says prior to class that she doesn't want to go I would say OK and let her her not go without trying to talk her into it. It sounded like you had to spend a good amount of time convincing her which means she might just be going and saying she had fun to make you happy, instead for her own enjoyment.

My kid is the most awesome. I was reading him bedtime.stories tonight and he asked me if I could sleep in his bed all night long. I said "Aw honey, no, I can't do that" and he asked why. I told him that I might need to pee, and that Gus would definitely need boobies, since he needs boobies all the.time. Oscar said, "Those are good reasons, Mama. Peeing and giving Gus boobies makes sense. It's okay, I'll come to your bed instead. I love sweet Gus."

so sweer.
    Last edited by AbbeysMom; 10-12-2010 at 02:06 AM.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

Quote Originally Posted by AbbeysMom View Post
    ETA, Just read your other post. I think it was probably a nice combination of her being tired, rushed, and torn between wanting to exert her authority over the situation (not go to class) and doing something fun (going to class). IMO if she ever says prior to class that she doesn't want to go I would say OK and let her her not go without trying to talk her into it. It sounded like you had to spend a good amount of time convincing her which means she might just be going and saying she had fun to make you happy, instead for her own enjoyment.
    I totally thought of that and don't want her going just to please me. But she can't just go when she feels like it and skip classes. I don't think that sends the right message about dedication and commitment. And I honestly don't want to pay for something she's only going to do half the time, you know? It's not cheap.
    I think next week I'm actually going to have dbf take her to see if it's easier for her to just say goodbye to me at home. If it doesn't work out, we might just have to give it a break for awhile.

Maybe she was just having a bad day...or was in a bad mood at that moment. I wouldn't think too much of a 1 time occurrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    I confess I gave out stickers as a reward to some of my kids at work today. Most of my kids aren't interested in stickers but I have some new kids who seem to be more motivated by it and need something to work toward so I'm giving it a try. One of the little boys, after picking out his sticker, gave me one because he said I did a good job and I earned one, too! I wore it on my shirt all day. Hey, a little positive reinforcement for a job well done never hurt anyone, right?
    That is so cute!!

Conner is still struggling with going potty. He'll do fine for weeks, then suddenly stop using the potty. Every time I suggested stickers, he'd cry and say he didn't want any. I finally just bought some construction paper and a book of stickers. He threw them when I showed them to him

Buuuutttt....When I put a paper on the fridge and told him every time he went potty he could put a sticker on it, he changed his mind. He likes putting stickers on his 'poster' and has even pooped on the potty a couple times!!

He still didn't go for my mom, so I sent her paper and stickers to hang on her fridge too. I hope this doesn't get old.
    Last edited by missychrissy; 10-12-2010 at 07:37 AM.

Bridget, I hear you. I would talk it out with her again and explain that you're not going to fight with her to get her to go... she either goes cooperatively or it means she's not ready for dance classes and she can try again later when she's ready to cooperate.

I bet she's just going through some stage you and I are unfamiliar with because we haven't parented a five year old before.

And... Gus slept two three hour stretches last night. Dude. It took Oscar until he was like SIX MONTHS OLD to do this.

wth? Why isn't my little : wub : showing under where I quoted Stacy?

And... Gus slept two three hour stretches last night. Dude. It took Oscar until he was like SIX MONTHS OLD to do this.
    That was my experience with Bobbie and Jessica. Bobbie was high needs, even colicky. I had no plans of having another and then oops...here comes Jessica. I was anxious and stressed, and even seriously considered an abortion. But when she arrived she was so different. A very easy baby.

It's funny how vastly different they can be.

Wink

Night and day. Example - Oscar was and still is so impatient... as a newborn would latch and gr pissed that the milk wasn't there RIGHT AWAY, would pull off, it was so hard. Gus just latches on and sucks. Hangs out and happily waits for milk.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

It is so neat how different children can be. If that is all there was to it, I would keep having children all the time, just to see all of the different variations that would happen. It is fascinating. Every little thing is different. Claire and Ronin were totally different with the way they nursed, and that continued on with the way they eat today. Claire eats in about 2 minutes and jumps up from the table shouting "Done!" and Ronin lingers over every bite, savoring it, sometimes taking more than an hour to eat dinner. He was the same with nursing. Soren is kind of in the middle.

It is really cool seeing you with Gus, Stacy.

---------------

Bridget, I read your story about dance class and I don't know what might have caused it but every once in a blue moon Claire has a completely inexplicable wild meltdown, and if I think it might have a chance of being repeated in a similar situation (like next week's dance class, for example), it helps a lot to talk through it about an hour before. No matter what the cause, or if there is no understandable reason, talking about the steps and expectations goes a long way towards preparing her for a calm experience. Of course that doesn't help if it's totally unexpected, but for next time maybe?

I wonder how my baby will be? Savana was a great sleeper from the day I brough her home but only on top of me. She couldn't sleep alone, which was fine. It I had her on my chest she'd sleep for hours on end as a baby. Toddlerhood was incredibly challenging in all aspects. Kai was and still is the most restless and sporadic sleeper. He is SO HARD to get to go to sleep. It's a toss up this time around. I hope it's a mellow little being or I don't know how I'll do so much by myself.
    Stacy, I can't tell you how happy I am that everything is going so well with Gus and the heart rate thing turned out to be a fluke. I've been thinking about it all morning.

Savana is napping for the 3rd time this week. So strange. I thought she was done napping but I'll take it.
    My dad got invited to the packer game this weekend. Almost every weekend he gets invites for something. He worked for almost 20 years for one company until he quit a few years back and took a much lower paying job so he wouldn't have to travel so much. The peope he used to work with are the ones calling him all the time and I think it's so great. Every single time he calls me and tells me and asks if I think he should go. I'm always like Hells YES! And he says he can't stop feeling guilty about having a good time when my mom is dead. Today I told him that he's been a great guy to everyone he's ever known and that's why old friends are coming around and wanting him to join them all the time. That all it is is a testament to what a wonderful friend he is and it would be a shame to sit at home alone every weekend instead of enjoying himself. God, he deserves this so much. He adored my mom. And to be honest, he did absolutely everything she wanted to do. He'd go antiquing all weekend and listen to the game on a little headset if that's what she wanted, and without complaint. And the last few years of her life I don't think he got a night's sleep. He just doted on her every moment. He's an absolute saint. I don't want him having any guilt about enjoying his life!

23. Default

I confess Audrianna didn't nap yesterday and fell asleep while we were eating dinner (see my siggy pic! lol) and slept through till about 7 this morning. It was amazing!

Bridget, I read your post about the dance class too and I really had no idea what it could be. But your mentioning in the post above that she's napping a lot this week makes me think she's just going through a phase where she's more tired than usual and maybe it's making her more irritated at things in general. Josh has been harder to manage since he started preschool but I can't get him to nap.

Thanks for the advice about Savana, guys. I keep talking to her about it and when asked her today if she wanted to keep doing dance class she said, "I have a couple years to think about it so I'm just going to wait and let you know next week."
    I'm not going to stress on it. Every so often I worry that my kids don't get enough exposure to taking direction from other adults because I'm kind of their only caregiver and always have been. But I know in my heart that for us it couldn't be any other way and that the pros outweigh the cons.

Okay, I confess one of our dogs ate up the phone cords outside so now I don't have internet at home, so you may not see me on here much until we can get them fixed. Even though I love our dogs, dogs really get on my nerves.

Erin

Oh no Erin!
    I confess Joshua learned a lovely song about spiders at school today and he's been singing it all day. I'm not a huge fan of spiders and the song really bothers me, LOL. It starts "There's a spider on the floor" and the spider works its way up the body "There's a spider on my foot" etc. until "There's a spider on my head" and then the spider jumps to the floor and the song starts all over again. I keep trying to ask him to sing something else!

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    Okay, I confess one of our dogs ate up the phone cords outside so now I don't have internet at home, so you may not see me on here much until we can get them fixed. Even though I love our dogs, dogs really get on my nerves.

Erin
    Oh no! I think you can get RJ11 (phone cord) at most dollar stores. I'm surprised it was exposed where they could get it. Usually if it's outside, it's buried, up on a pole to the roof, or behind a wall or something.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Oh no Erin!
    I confess Joshua learned a lovely song about spiders at school today and he's been singing it all day. I'm not a huge fan of spiders and the song really bothers me, LOL. It starts "There's a spider on the floor" and the spider works its way up the body "There's a spider on my foot" etc. until "There's a spider on my head" and then the spider jumps to the floor and the song starts all over again. I keep trying to ask him to sing something else!
    Are there other songs he likes to sing? Conner will sing Twinkle twinkle, little star if i initiate it.

He loves to sing tons of songs, but he refuses to sing anything else today. LOL

I confess I LOVE the spider song! We sing it all the time. Not always in it's entirety but I will just go up to any kid at any random time and walk my fingers on them and sing whichever body part we're on.
    AND we currently have 3 huge huge garden orb spiders in the play yard. Kate, you would die. They look really creepy but they are totally non-venomous (or low) and non aggressive. Every day when we go outside all 6 kids run to the playhouse where they build there webs and spend the bulk of our outside time just watching them. We've seen them catch and wrap up bugs. It's super cool.