Page 463 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 3634134534614624634644654735135639631463 ... LastLast
Results 13,861 to 13,890 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Pentecostal...I think that's one of the churches my group wants to visit.

Kate, if it's something that's really worrying you, you can always have him evaluated. He may be perfectly fine, and they can reassure you and maybe even give you some pointers for things to try with him. And if it's something they can help him with, it's always best to get help earlier and not later.

That said, young children do have tantrums and it's normal. I can see why you might worry if you feel like it's out of control rage, though.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    So what would be the appropriate response from me?
    Honestly, and not beating you up for it (we've all done it), but he appropriate response is not putting him in situations where he has to exercise his nonexistent impulse control. In this case, since you already left him with all those tempting bits, I'd probably just relax. Put the parts away. Do it with him (as much as you can get him to contribute), tell him you asked him not to touch, they're not for him, but it's also okay to be honest."Oops, mommy really shouldn't have expected you to do this..."

I have opinions.about BF (go figure). I think too few women do it, and worldwide the pervasiveness of formula is sickening - literally and figuratively. So many babies die from poor water quality and dilution of formula. Here, babies are given a crappy start to a lifetime of crappy nutrition because parents use formula because of marketing - not need.

I don't care what a mother does to feed her child, but societally, our attitude toward bf and our total susceptibility to corporate marketing (formula companies) pulls moms away from one of our most basic rights, and let's face it - facts are facts. Breast is best. Formula is a breastmilk substitute, intended when.a.mother simply cannot nurse, like csection is intended for moms who simply cannot have a vaginal birth. Both are (or should be) medical interventions... and they are currently overused for convenience sake, robbing us and our children of some of our most basic rights of passage.

And Chrissy, betcha he still sneaks into your bed sometimes.

Kate it really does sound normal to me. My kids both can get really angry and unable to act rationally during bouts of anger. For Savana it's quite rare since she's older but Kai will scream, yell, hit, kick, tell me I am mean and yucky and gross and he doesn't like me and all kinds of fun stuff. Then pretty much simultaneously he's all over me asking me to hold him. They just can't get a handle on all of this yet. And I always try to remember how frustrating it must be for them to feel such a burst of indendent thinking and being able to do so many things yet having so little control over their world.
    Maybe for his drink he could have a special coaster where he sets his cup every time. As for washing his hands after he's go potty have you explained to him that washing hands gets rid of all the potty germs and keeps him healthy? My kids are all over that. And we sing, "Wash, wash, wash your hands, get em nice and clean. Wash and wash and wash and wash and germs go down the drain" (row row row your boat)
    Generally try to word things so you're telling him what he can do instead of what he can't. Like instead of, "don't play with cats when they look at you like that" say, "Oh look they're making the mad face! Walk away walk away! Quick!". Just keep it light and easy and try to have fun with even the really annoying behavior.

Josh sounds totally normal to me. Conner has 5 others looking out for him and helping him remember the rules, and he can still overwhelm all of us.

I hate having regrets, and for the most part I don't think I have many. But if I were to own up to one, it would be that I had relaxed more when Bobbie and Jessica were this age. I was a lot like you are then and I fear I didn't take the opportunity to just enjoy them as much as I could have.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Thanks Bridget, and Stacy. I know it wasn't bright of me to leave him with all those tempting parts.
    There's a whole bit Yo Gabba Gabba does about germs, and he knows the song and he gets it, but I think his mind is just somewhere else when it's time to do it. He comes bounding out of the bathroom when he's done, usually leaves the light on and doesn't flush or wash...probably wants to get back to destroying stuff ;)
    One thing that he does do though, is that when he goes poop he yells "Mommy come wipe my bum!"

I think that's my problem Bridget--I find it really hard to keep it light and funny. I'll keep trying.

And thanks Chrissy. I know...people keep saying I should enjoy this when honestly I feel like this is the most frustrating year of my life so far. (problems with DH and a lack of real life friends doesn't help) A lot of elderly people come up to us in public and say how delightful he is, and practically cry when they talk about not having small children around anymore. They say, "Don't you just love this age?"

Just out of curiosity, when does the impulse control develop? LOL
    I didn't mention his temper. I worry about that. When he gets really mad he scrunches up his little face and does this like, roar. It's scary. And he gets really impulsive. He throws anything in reach, kicks, grabs things and knocks them over, etc.
    I am here, there and everywhere
    I worry that he is ADHD, or will seriously hurt one of our animals or another kid- not only when he is hyper, but with his loving. He almost knocked a little old lady over the other day because he NEEDED to give her a hug.
    I have Gage in JK now and I keep waiting for the teachers to phone and say :We need to talk..." but Gage's babysitter (who has a lot of 'talks' with Gage herself) knows Gage's teacher, who says he is really good in class
    Still part of me is waiting for that phone call though
    Me: Julie-46 DH: Kelly-52 DD: Rhianna-17 DS: Gage-He's 3!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I find it easier to do the routine things like handwashing then to do things that are part of a "don't do this." My kids are so good at developing patterns, like washing hands and faces after dinner or taking their shoes off when we get inside or brushing their teeth before bed that it is actually really upsetting if we interrupt the routine. I just have to help them through the routine about a thousand times before it sets. And even then it needs to be reinforced. It's the part about "Don't spit" or "Don't spit on the couch" or "Don't draw with your spit on the tv" or "Don't blow spit bubbles on the window" that's a lot harder.

Sigh

We've been doing better with them getting upset by asking them to analyze whether it's a big problem or a little problem, and if it's easy to fix or if it's not easy to fix and if they can fix it themselves or if they need me to fix it. By the time they get through answering all the questions, they've stopped being upset and are on to finding the solution.

On the off chance anyone is interested, I am linking to the obituary the department wrote for my professor who passed away last week. I have been thinking a lot about him lately and I feel incredibly fortunate to have had the opportunity to learn from him. His lectures were just fascinating, he would just talk off the cuff about whatever the subject was and I would just try to keep up with it and absorb some small portion of what he had to share with us. I wish I could remember more of it. I'll never know anyone quite like him again.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

He sounds like a wonderful person, Gwenn.

So, I got the lowdown on the demon thing. She said a few nights ago, she woke up and felt a cold breeze and heard some scratching sounds....and she was scared but went back to sleep. So then on Sunday while at church, she felt the same thing, so she went up to pray about it...while she was praying, she said all of a sudden a little girl appeared before her and was smiling at her, like a vision, I suppose.

When she came to, she was on the floor, and people were all around her. She said that they said she had been growling and scratching at the floor (she doesn't recall doing that she says), so they put a bible on her and were speaking in tongues for her. She told them about seeing the little girl and the preacher's wife said to her "honey, that wasn't a little girl, it was a demon."

She said she realized this "demon" was her alcoholism leaving her and she would never ever drink again.

So, all in all, a very bizarre thing to happen but in a way, good for her if she never drinks again...but still I find it very disturbing that she sees this type of thing, believes it and believes every word the preacher and his wife say to her because they are religious. She talks about this preacher all the time as if he's a saint.

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    And Chrissy, betcha he still sneaks into your bed sometimes.
    Gosh I hope he does. I'm not going to mention it to him, of course, but if/when he does I'll eat it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    On the off chance anyone is interested, I am linking to the obituary the department wrote for my professor who passed away last week. I have been thinking a lot about him lately and I feel incredibly fortunate to have had the opportunity to learn from him. His lectures were just fascinating, he would just talk off the cuff about whatever the subject was and I would just try to keep up with it and absorb some small portion of what he had to share with us. I wish I could remember more of it. I'll never know anyone quite like him again.

Quote Originally Posted by silverstar View Post
    ...but still I find it very disturbing that she sees this type of thing, believes it and believes every word the preacher and his wife say to her because they are religious. She talks about this preacher all the time as if he's a saint.
    That worries me the most. I hope this is just a phase that she's going through and that she'll move on from thinking of her preacher as a saint. It's one thing to go to church and have a healthy respect for your minister. I think this is something else entirely.

I'm having boudoir photos done. Shh...it's a surprise for Rich for Christmas.

Ooo Chrissy that's awesome ;)
    Yeah the whole little girl/demon thing is interesting...not sure what I think about that. Maybe people's demons do take form for some, and it's a coping mechanism or something. I'm not sure.

I had a really freaking disturbing dream last night that there was a hole in our ceiling (directly above where I'm sitting right now in fact) and giant bugs were coming in. I mean like footlong millipedes and stuff. I think because I read a bunch of stories last night about people finding bugs in their food.

Butting in, but did anyone else see the article about how people of various religious (and non-religious) groups did when answering questions about religion?

On average, people who took the survey answered half the questions incorrectly, and many flubbed even questions about their own faith.

Those who scored the highest were atheists and agnostics, as well as two religious minorities: Jews and Mormons. The results were the same even after the researchers controlled for factors like age and racial differences.
    Here's the Pew Forum page about the survey
    Last edited by swannie; 09-28-2010 at 08:06 AM.

The demon thing sounds like a scene with Tara and her mom from True Blood.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I had a really freaking disturbing dream last night that there was a hole in our ceiling (directly above where I'm sitting right now in fact) and giant bugs were coming in. I mean like footlong millipedes and stuff. I think because I read a bunch of stories last night about people finding bugs in their food.
    *shudder* I hate bugs. At least, bugs in my house.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

That's wonderful! I'll read it when I get back home!

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    That worries me the most. I hope this is just a phase that she's going through and that she'll move on from thinking of her preacher as a saint. It's one thing to go to church and have a healthy respect for your minister. I think this is something else entirely.

I'm having boudoir photos done. Shh...it's a surprise for Rich for Christmas.
    Nice about the photos! That will make an excellent Crimbo present! I'll have to do some for my Rich when I get back in to shape!

For comparison purposes, the survey also asked some questions about general knowledge, which yielded the scariest finding: 4% of Americans believe that Stephen King, not Herman Melville, wrote "Moby ****."
    I laughed, I cried. That was a very interesting article.

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    I laughed, I cried. That was a very interesting article.
    Oh god!

I confess that I am so super excited about birth this time around.

Yay Stacy!
    I hate bugs in my house too! We have spiders frequently...but I've never seen a bug much bigger than an inch long. OMG I just remembered there were stick bugs in my dream too. (shudder) Those are the WORST. (it's funny I can dream about these bugs I've never actually seen, isn't it?)
    I'm discouraged about my weight again. I haven't lost or gained anything in the last few days. And I feel like my trainer is telling me something different every time. Last time he was stressing the importance of protein and this week he was telling me to lower my sodium intake. I bring him my fitness pal diary printouts every so often and I wish he had told me earlier it was too high. I feel like he's kind of a spaceshot, but it's the first program I've used in years that has actually shown some progress.
    Anyway...sorry for the rant. I wish exercise made a bigger impact...it's easier for me to exercise than it is to diet!

I've grown to love bugs through Savana and Kai. They love them. Kai even gets excited when a fly lands on him.

Stacy, I'm super excited too.

I have to talk about my dad's awesomeness again. Last week at dinner I was telling him how I want to go to an organic apple orchard to stock up on apples for the winter but the closest one is 3 hours away and dbf hates to drive long distances. I also mentioned that I'm bummed I only rode my bike a few times this summer and my town sucks for bike riding with kids in tow. He just sent me an email that said, "On saturday I'm either going to that apple orchard you mentioned or going for a bike ride on the trails here (in his town) if you want to join me." He wouldn't be doing either of those things if he didn't know I wanted to.

Aww...I love your dad
    Josh loves bugs too. We have a butterfly plant and Josh walks right up to the butterflies that land on it. He tries to get one to land on his finger

I had an appointment with a perineonatologist today. The doc said that it would be dangerous to try and turn a baby, and that most babies get stuck breech/transverse. I pretty much knew it wouldn't be possible to turn my baby and that I would most likely be in labor with a baby that can't be born vaginally. But to be told that officially makes me sad.
    I hate the idea of having a c/s again. I was hoping so much for a vbac. I'm still hopeful, and I'll still probably get a doula. But beneath my optimism is a realism, telling me I'm going to be under the knife again. My baby will be "taken" instead of me giving birth--not to be offensive to moms who have had c/s. But all docs I have ever taken have always referred to any c/s as the baby being "taken", and *I* personally don't feel like I gave birth.

ETA: This is my post about my appointment in my Oct births room, if you are interested.
    Last edited by intactivstmom; 09-28-2010 at 08:12 PM.

"We cannot withhold facts for fear of offending because the importance of the information outweighs people's right to not be challenged in their beliefs." -Maddy Reid
    In memory of all APA babies gone too soon; always loved and never forgotten

This doesn't surprise me in the least. Most of my friends who are religious haven't had the religious background that I have had, nor have they actually READ the bible...sad really...

I couldn't get to the Pew Forum though. The server was too busy I bookmarked it for a later date.
    Thanks, Swannie.
    Me: Julie-46 DH: Kelly-52 DD: Rhianna-17 DS: Gage-He's 3!

For comparison purposes, the survey also asked some questions about general knowledge, which yielded the scariest finding: 4% of Americans believe that Stephen King, not Herman Melville, wrote "Moby ****."
    That makes me want to cry.

My 3yr old cousin put a grasshopper in his pocket once. His mom had a not so nice surprise when she emptied his pockets a few days later to do laundry.

"We cannot withhold facts for fear of offending because the importance of the information outweighs people's right to not be challenged in their beliefs." -Maddy Reid
    In memory of all APA babies gone too soon; always loved and never forgotten

I'm sorry you're upset about the c/s Shannah. I think it's crappy that doctors use the word 'taken' in reference to c sections. That just sounds so...violating...I don't get it why people have to make moms feel bad about that type of birth. Sure I don't really appreciate that some women just do c sections out of convenience, although really how much more convenient is a c section? But honestly, the whole point is, either way you have a baby and it seems very wrong to me that people start judging mothers' decisions from the moment a baby is born.
    Whew, rant over.
    In good news....my cousin asked me to be a bridesmaid in her wedding!