Page 460 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 3604104504584594604614624705105609601460 ... LastLast
Results 13,771 to 13,800 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I'm so sorry, Gwenn. Teachers that touch us forever are true gems, aren't they?

Yes. I don't think any of his students will ever forget him.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I confess that for as healthy as I am, for as supported and loved and mostly sane, I am having a wickedly hard time this week. It's the same week (gestation) that Jasper died and the combo of that and dealing with gbs bull**** has made me very scared, and very sad. I don't know if I weren't reading about gbs in order to ensure proper treatment if it would be any better... but reading that this condition can cause stillbirth sent me right over the edge. I'm just thankful for my dh and my mw right now or I think I'd have dissolved in a puddle of messy pregnant tears.

Oh, Stacy ... I'm so sorry for what you're going through. I'm glad you have someone to lean on.

So sorry about your teacher, Gwenn. Hugs, Stacy.

Stacy, a million

Stacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    We are thinking about selling next summer, partially because of them, and I hate my neighbors even more now that we have to put them on our disclosures as a nuisance and they might make it more difficult to sell.
    Oh that's awful. How unfair to you...it doesn't seem like it would be legal for someone to be such a nuisance that they have to be listed as a nuisance, yet not held accountable for a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    I confess I just heard, via facebook, that one of my professors and mentors in grad school just passed away. He had a brain tumor. This man went a long way towards making me the professional I am today. I loved him in an entirely platonic, student/teacher way. I remember he announced he was ill at our graduation ceremony. Until then none of us had any idea about it. RIP, Dr. DeFeo. Every day I use something he taught me to make a child's life better. I don't know that there is anything much better to say about someone.
    I'm sorry

This is the response I got from the superintendent. No, I couldn't wait till today to call them and I shot off an email to the principal and super last night.

Good Morning. As of 7 AM, Thursday morning, this is the first I have heard of this issue. Thank you for writing. I am well aware of the law also. I will be meeting with Mr. Dougherty this morning to get more information and to make sure you daughter is comfortable in our school and in chorus.

This issue has been problematic in many schools around the country, but I have always found the Candor community to be very reasonable and respectful of all opinions regarding religious issues. I know this will be the case here as well. Thank you for your patience and I will get back to you shortly. If you have additional questions or comments, please feel free to contact me at 659-xxxx. Again, thank you for writing. - JK
    Bobbie mentioned this is a new chorus teacher. As hard as it is to imagine, maybe she just didn't know?

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I don't know, Chrissy. I mean, who doesn't know about that? That is pretty blatantly ignorant. I'd be leery of a teacher who didn't know that that is not okay, regardless.

I know, you're right Bridget. I can't imagine being an educator in chorus and not knowing you can't force the kids to sing Christian songs. But it appeared to me that the superintendent was going to correct things....if they want to produce a Christian concert, far be it from me to stop them. But they aren't going to use that concert as a grading mechanism for my kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanna(h) View Post
    If you remember the name of the songs post them, I want to look up lyrics.
    Bobbie couldn't remember the name of the song or much about it. I don't know why this particular song got under her skin so bad, but she said it had a lot about sinners in it and it just made her very uncomfortable.

I'm curious about it too. I think the rest of them were the usual "Silent Night" and what-not that are pretty well known. To me, they just represent Christmastime, which is a holiday for giving gifts and hanging gaudy lights. I really don't care if the kids sing those songs, but if they don't want to then the school cannot threaten them. I was totally prepared to bring down the whole concert though because it's supposed to be predominantly secular with an equal mix of other religious music included. They are obviously not doing that.

Let's face it, it's entirely possible she didn't know. By and large, teachers are not very smart.

I'm doing better this morning. DH set up the air mattress in our tv room so he and Oscar could have a "sleepover movie night" and I actually got some sleep by myself in the bed. And he came and spent an hour letting me cry and talk and geez, I forget what a good friend I have sometimes. Sigh.

I'm glad Andrew is so good to you. More men should be like him.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Stacy, what a tough week for you. I'm glad you had a decent night last night. I can't believe you are this far along already. Along with all of the other anniversaries, gestational age is another one, but at least this one is one you won't need to face every year. It doesn't make it easier right now in the midst of it with your pregnancy and your hormones and all of the what-ifs, but I'm so glad you have such strong and supportive and loving people around you. Including yourself!

I'm going to share a belly picture with you guys. I'm not really involved in my birth room so deal with it. Excuse the post pony tail bedtime hair.

Okay you are so cute.

You look great Bridget!!!

Stacy, I'm sorry you're having such a rough week

Chrissy -i'll bet the teacher doesn't even think of the song as being christian. i find that happens a lot
    Just Midge

Bridget you look adorable!!

Quote Originally Posted by midgeend View Post
    Chrissy -i'll bet the teacher doesn't even think of the song as being christian. i find that happens a lot
    I think she knows, but she doesn't (or didn't) know the rules. She told Bobbie that the winter concert songs were already selected, then she asked her what religion Bobbie was! In front of the class!! Bobbie hesitated and said "pagan" because she didn't know what else to say (she doesn't consider herself an atheist, but she doesn't necessarily believe either) and the teacher said, "well, you can pick a pagan song to sing for the spring concert."

You look great Bridget!

Ah, thanks for the kind words everyone. I don't feel cute but I kind of don't care either.
    My dad is going to babysit Savana and Kai for the first time since my mom died. It was dbf's birthday on tuesday and as a gift to him my dad is going to babysit and paid for plates for us at this dinner event that a catering company does. He's so so so sweet. Best guy in the world.
    I still haven't gotten over what an ass dbf was this weekend so not really looking forward to that aspect of it but kind of excited for an adult night out and hoping to meet up with one of my close friends that lives in the same town as my dad after dinner. AND I'll get to wear a maternity dress that I wasn't sure I'd ever wear but came with lot of clothes I bought off ebay. Big excitement around here I tell ya.

Looking fab, Bridget!

I hope you have a marvelous evening Bridget. You definitely deserve it.

Awwwwww... you look fantastic, Bridget, and your belly is just so cute. Can I pet it?

Stacy, I'm sorry you were in a rough patch. I always imagined you live in a real natural setting with lots of greenery and mountains and such. Am I right? Well, whenever I'm feeling melancholy, I always try to get outside - not because it'll make me feel better necessarily, but because the world just looks much more beautiful to me when I'm in that state of mind. Maybe that sounds strange, but a genuine deep funk is so rare to me (of course I have all the average "heavy" stuff everyone deals with too), that I try to take advantage of it while it's there. I kind of look back at all my sad times spent outdoors like they're good memories now. I dunno, sadness just kind of has this way of amplifying natural beauty. Maybe it's 'cause my tears make everything looks gauzy, or I'm just so exhausted from crying that I actually feel relaxed, but whatever it is, it's nice to look at the physical world on days like that. So that's my suggestion; go outside take a few mental pictures of your thoughts + the scenery and then just try to enjoy your feelings.

Last edited by demigraf; 09-23-2010 at 04:01 PM.

24. Default

Bridget - You are too dang cute!

Stacy - I'm sorry you're having a rough time, but so thankful that you have such a good DH to do that for you!!

Chrissy - Awesome that the super got back to you so quick! and again.. boo on the teacher for being that way

I confess there were more that I wanted to respond to but I am not all there mentally right now..

I'd like to ask you all for any positive thoughts you can spare...

I was at work for about 20 minutes today when my mom sent me a text. My dad was working in the oilfield today and when he got out of his truck he was complaining about chest pains. They put him in an ambulance and is on his way back to town. They said his blood pressure was sky high..

As of right now that is all we know.. but it worries me because it takes ALOT for my dad to complain.... He suffered with his Gout for 4 months before he ever even mentioned it to my mom, then another few weeks before he went to the doctor... So for him to complain about this....

yea... I'm worried.

Quote Originally Posted by The10Eels View Post
    I'd like to ask you all for any positive thoughts you can spare...

I was at work for about 20 minutes today when my mom sent me a text. My dad was working in the oilfield today and when he got out of his truck he was complaining about chest pains. They put him in an ambulance and is on his way back to town. They said his blood pressure was sky high..

As of right now that is all we know.. but it worries me because it takes ALOT for my dad to complain.... He suffered with his Gout for 4 months before he ever even mentioned it to my mom, then another few weeks before he went to the doctor... So for him to complain about this....

yea... I'm worried.
    I hope he's ok.

Keeping your dad in my thoughts...

I hope your father's alright. Hang in there and KUP!

28. Default

Xray showed no signs of a heart attack..

Apparently it wasn't chest pain. it was his left arm...

Last I heard they were getting ready to send him in for a stress test

I hope it's nothing serious and that he recovers very fast.

Bobbie doesn't have to sing that Christian song. She thinks it was Holy Night. Now that she told me, I don't know why that one would bother her, but whatever. It did and the teacher did threaten to fail her which was against the rules. That was what I cared about.

Ash, thinking of your Dad.

Chrissy, I'm glad you got the situation dealt with. You're absolutely right.

Bridget, you are so cute!