Page 459 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 3594094494574584594604614695095599591459 ... LastLast
Results 13,741 to 13,770 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by silverstar View Post
    Hey Midge, I've been wondering how you've been-good to see your post.

Bridget, that's weird about the address thing. I wouldn't do anything with it. The woman did the decent thing by turning the checks in, so I don't see why you'd need to do anything with her address.

OMG A million Congrats on your baby!!! Where's your birth story? Did you post one??
    Just Midge

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Without providing any detail, I spent the morning at the courthouse today and am not happy. At all.

And your doggie is precious!

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Why would you leave that information aftter turning something it? It wasn't like a scarf, where maybe she could have it if I never claimed it. And now what? Am i supposed to call her, send her a thank you card? Wft?
    That is strange. Maybe the store asked her to write the information down and didn't intend for the clerk to give that information to you?

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    I don't really want to contact her. But the employee that handed them to me was all serious like, "This is who you need to thank." AND said she needed to make a copy of the paper before she gave it to me so I stood there and waited while she did that. Why do they need it?
    The thing is I appreciate it so so much. But I also don't feel like she's a hero or anything. I mean, it's common decency right? And common sense.
    That's what makes me think that perhaps the store wanted the information. If you don't want to contact her, then don't. I don't think there's anything wrong with slipping a non-return-address thank you note in the mail though. It might not have been the customer that initiated the whole address/phone number thing, so perhaps she's not presumptuous at all.

Quote Originally Posted by The10Eels View Post
    Maybe would explain why I had to pack the girls up and leave from their first sleepover since Charlie was screaming non stop the other night...
    How's she been since? I hope she's feeling better.

Quote Originally Posted by midgeend View Post
    I am still decompressing from having spent a full week with my brother, his wife and their kids. They are like the opposite of me in some of how they parent. It's really strange, because it's like they're super super attached to their older daughter, but not in a healthy way - I don't know how to explain it, more like they just have zero boundaries...and then with their younger two, it's as though they're just an afterthought, and absolutely no thought or planning goes into how they are raising them. And the middle child has some pretty significant delays, and really needs more attention, although she doesn't *demand* it, so she doesn't get it. It makes me sad, and it makes my mom sad too. My mom is always wanting to step in and help, and say something, or help them get parenting classes or something - but she doesn't want to come across as The Mother In Law kwim?
    That's really rough.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Bridget....um I think that by leaving contact info...she is hoping for a reward. I think if it had been cash, most people would have kept it but checks she couldn't do anything with. I think that many people would think that they deserve a reward for doing this.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Why do I insist on reading threads I know are only going to irritate me?
    You and me both. I bumbled into new moms again yesterday and got all antsy pantsy at someone. I need to just stay here.

Sounds like she was really proud of herself and wanted some thanks, Bridget. But I'd say to heck with it. She did the basic what she was supposed to do.

Midge, that sucks. And for your mom, too, since she'll just be seen as "the bad guy" if she does say anything, likely.

Umm, that's just weird Bridget. Someone drops something, I give it back. No reward expected. What are you supposed to do, send her a thank you card? Thanks for doing your responsibility as a decent human being? LOL

I know right, thanks for not stealing my stuff?

If she did initiate leaving her personal information, maybe she did it because she didn't know if that was all of it or not and wanted to make sure you had contact information so she could tell you exactly where it was found.

9. Default

http://failbook.failblog.org/2010/09...-facebook-now/

hahahahahaha..

And Chrissy -- Charlie is still kinda grumpy, but we've been giving her the tylenol, and it is really helping. Her rash is not nearly as bad as it was, and the tylenol is keeping the fever at bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Bridget....um I think that by leaving contact info...she is hoping for a reward. I think if it had been cash, most people would have kept it but checks she couldn't do anything with. I think that many people would think that they deserve a reward for doing this.
    You know, I think you're right. I wouldn't give her a reward, but I bet she is fishing for one. Kind of sad when people can't do the right thing just for the sake of doing the right thing.

Midge, so sorry about your family situation. That sucks.

I confess my alarm didn't go off this morning (I use the alarm on my phone and for some reason, if I don't have the phone plugged into the charger, it doesn't ring) and my dogs didn't wake me up (they usually get up wanting to go out exactly 1 minute before my alarm is due to ring). Woke up at 8:05 and I start work at 8:00. I took it as a sign that I needed a break after all of the drama with the police, emergency vet, and courthouse. Work is really taking a back seat right now, but you know, sometimes that just has to happen.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Wow, facebook sure is getting a lot of power lately LOL

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Wow, facebook sure is getting a lot of power lately LOL

What do you mean? Are you referring to a specific event?

I do know that a pundit last night, I think on Maddow, called the Obama campaign a "Facebook Campaign" and the Tea Party stuff a "Twitter Campaign"
    Just Midge

No I mean the thing The10Eels linked LOL

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    No I mean the thing The10Eels linked LOL

bwahahahaa.
    Just Midge

Quote Originally Posted by The10Eels View Post
    http://failbook.failblog.org/2010/09...-facebook-now/

hahahahahaha..

And Chrissy -- Charlie is still kinda grumpy, but we've been giving her the tylenol, and it is really helping. Her rash is not nearly as bad as it was, and the tylenol is keeping the fever at bay.
    That's funny!!

And it reminds me...I find it annoying that I can no long post comments to the random things my friends like. Why did they do away with that feature?

I don't like that either, Chrissy!

Bridget, that sounds so weird. I can understand if she returned a large amount of money or something nice and usable to her, like a digital camera or ipod, thanking her. She could have benefited from taking things like that. But all she could have done with the checks is...nothing...framed them... There was no moral dilemma for her,it's not like she could have been dishonest.

I hate those fb chain statuses. There are always ones about how much somebody has sacrificed to be a mom and you need to repost this if you are mom that makes sacrifices. The worst are ones that are "nobody talks about infant loss, so 95% of you won't repost this. Do you care that babies are dying? Repost this if care" I do care, so I do real things, like spread awareness in a serious way, and raise money for organizations like the March of Dimes, rather than playing around on fb trying to let everyone see how much I care.

"We cannot withhold facts for fear of offending because the importance of the information outweighs people's right to not be challenged in their beliefs." -Maddy Reid
    In memory of all APA babies gone too soon; always loved and never forgotten

You ladies are going to love this. Bobbie just informed me that her chorus teacher told her she will fail the class if she refuses to sing the Christian songs they are going to perform for the school's winter concert. Bobbie needs the credit to graduate.

I'm so stoked to have a fight. I just have to gear up and be prepared when I make my phone call to that school. I'm not sure if I should call the teacher, the principal, or the superintendent, but they are not going to get away with threatening to fail her for refusing to sing a Christian song in a public school.

Call the principal and **** the teacher. Then call the superintendent. You go, mama.

Wowwww...Chrissy, good luck with that. What songs are they?

Bobbie couldn't remember the name of the one that really bothered her, but she said all the songs are Christian ones. There's one Jewish one, and one secular one (like Frosty the Snowman or something) but all the rest are Christian. There's one that bothers her in particular. She said it talked about sinners and just rubbed her the wrong way.

I'm so ready for this fight. It's a predominantly republican/Christian community, so we'll be treated like lepers I'm sure. But I don't care. That is just beyond unacceptable to me. I let them sing their Christian songs and didn't say a word in the past...but threatening to fail her over it? No freaking way.

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    Call the principal and **** the teacher. Then call the superintendent. You go, mama.
    This. Hells yeah!!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Without providing any detail, I spent the morning at the courthouse today and am not happy. At all.
    Without guessing in detail as to why you might not be happy, let me share a story about my neighbor situation - as you might recall, we had (still have) this property line dispute. He threatened my dh, threatened to shoot into our house, collided his car into mine when it was parked (we got that on video), accelerated his car when I was walking down our driveway so I had to jump out of the way, and made a number of hostile, aggressive, and threatening actions toward us, including saying things like "You'll regret it if you get a surveyor." Again, we got the collision on video, and were able to show it to police and our lawyer. Since they didn't report it, it was a hit and run.

However, we couldn't prove it was deliberate, even though he said (again on video) "Serves her right for parking in front of our house." As for all the threats, they denied all of them across the board, and said when questioned by the police that we were threatening them instead. I asked my lawyer about getting a restraining order, because the police said they couldn't do anything about them harassing us unless there was a legal restraining order or unless I felt in immediate threat of my life, and my actions (such as taking shelter, running away, calling 911) should reflect that fear. Revving a car at me or shouting a threat about shooting me from the other porch would not count. My lawyer said I essentially couldn't get a restraining order for similar reasons--that there wasn't solid proof of any wrongdoing and that since it goes on record these kinds of allegations are taken very seriously.

I guess it's to protect people from filing frivolously, but it is very frustrating.

Anyway, I got off on a tangent talking about my neighbors. I'm sorry your day at court went so badly.

Jeez, what is wrong with people?

Kai made me think tonight about how many things grown ups say that just makes kids go . He said, "Mom? Why does daddy sometimes say 'the mosquitos are really bad tonight?' What are they doing to him?" And we haven't heard mosquito updates from dbf in weeks because the weather finally cooled so they haven't been around. He's had this on his mind for awhile!

Dbf's been working nights and it's so peaceful around here.

LOL, it's funny what kids remember.

We won a "civil harassment" restraining order against our neighbor who was shooting at our dogs with an air rifle. We lived across the street from an elementary school too and the neighbor could have easily misfired and shot a kid walking to school, so how stupid was this guy being? This was in Los Angeles County, though, and we had an eyewitness who caught the guy shooting and was willing to testify, so I don't know if our case was any more "winnable" than your is, Lydia. Ugh, neighbor disputes are so stressful. I'm so glad we moved away from him.

Gwenn, your dog does look a lot like my Cayo. I think it's the soulful eyes. We always say he's the best looking member of our family.

Chrissy, please go get 'em, girl. I really don't think a teacher can do that.

If you remember the name of the songs post them, I want to look up lyrics.

The choir teacher at my school used to tell everybody to go home and practice songs out of their "green books" (all the hymn books for the mormon church are green, and about 95% of all the school was mormon). I never had his class, but I heard he would ask kids if they sang loud and proud from their "green books" at their "weekend meetings". He either gave extra credit to those who did, or maybe even had it be part of their regular grade. Nobody ever complained, but he should not have been able to get away with that.
    It also makes me mad that high school graduation begins with a christian prayer being said.

"We cannot withhold facts for fear of offending because the importance of the information outweighs people's right to not be challenged in their beliefs." -Maddy Reid
    In memory of all APA babies gone too soon; always loved and never forgotten

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    I'm so glad we moved away from him.
    We are thinking about selling next summer, partially because of them, and I hate my neighbors even more now that we have to put them on our disclosures as a nuisance and they might make it more difficult to sell.

29. Default

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I let them sing their Christian songs and didn't say a word in the past...but threatening to fail her over it? No freaking way.
    We always sang christian songs too, and our director basically said "Its music. Think of it that way, and don't focus on the lyrics. Focus on hitting the right notes, and following the dynamics etc.."

But to threaten to fail her? No... That is crossing a line...

That would be terrible if it interferes with selling your house, Lydia. I totally get your frustration about not being able to get things done legally.

And Chrissy, failing her? I'd be livid. She can opt out.

I confess I just heard, via facebook, that one of my professors and mentors in grad school just passed away. He had a brain tumor. This man went a long way towards making me the professional I am today. I loved him in an entirely platonic, student/teacher way. I remember he announced he was ill at our graduation ceremony. Until then none of us had any idea about it. RIP, Dr. DeFeo. Every day I use something he taught me to make a child's life better. I don't know that there is anything much better to say about someone.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12