Page 456 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 3564064464544554564574584665065569561456 ... LastLast
Results 13,651 to 13,680 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

WTG Lydia! You really are a great mom. I wouldn't have made it with one child LOL
    Shirley Temples were my favorite drink when I was a kid. I still order one once in a while.

Way to go Lydia! I'm very nervous at the thought of having an infant on our outings.

Kai got attacaked by a rooster at the farm today. He was just standing there and it jumped on him and started flapping it's wings all crazy. I grabbed him and he was so so so upset. It sucked. He has marks on his back from the talons. Like little punctures. And on his belly he has two scratches.
    Do you guys think he needs to go the doctor?

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    WTG Lydia! You really are a great mom. I wouldn't have made it with one child LOL
    Shirley Temples were my favorite drink when I was a kid. I still order one once in a while.
    I was just going to say, I still order one every so often! One of those simple pleasures that take you back.

Lydia, Wow! I'm impressed. I wouldn't have made it on time with just myself, never mind kids!

Bridget, ouch about the rooster! Is he really bleeding? I wonder if he could have caught anything from the rooster? I'd say just call your doctor's office and see what they thought, but it's probably closed for the weekend.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Yay Lydia! I'd probably not have made it with ONE kid.

Bridget, are the marks just scratches or are they deep? I would put some salve on them, antibiotic/antibacterial, but I wouldn't fret it. Keep an eye on them and as long as they're not flaring up, it's fine. That sucks though. OUR rooster attacked Oscar. Once. He was gone after that.

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    Yay Lydia! I'd probably not have made it with ONE kid.

Bridget, are the marks just scratches or are they deep? I would put some salve on them, antibiotic/antibacterial, but I wouldn't fret it. Keep an eye on them and as long as they're not flaring up, it's fine. That sucks though. OUR rooster attacked Oscar. Once. He was gone after that.
    They start out deepish and then they are just scratches. They aren't horrible or anything. He has a miniscule amount of blood on his shirt from them. Like, such a small amount that I really had to look for it. I've been putting tea tree oil on all the marks and just picked up some hydrogen peroxide. I feel like **** that it happened at all. The chickens were just everywhere and I thought about how big that rooster was and started to wonder if roosters are territorial. And no sooner did that thought cross my mind then it went after Kai. The farmer felt terrible. She said she didn't realize the rooster was by them. And I didn't realize the rooster was something to worry about.

6. Default

I confess I am uber irritated...

B's mom just called me. He called her yesterday and she gave him grief about his best friend's girlfriend sending me a message on facebook saying that said friend misses audri and wanted my # so he could call and see how she was doing.

B told her, well he does miss her, and so do I. so she ripped into him about not calling etc..

Douchecanoe tried to turn it all around and blame me!!! He said that I would never return his phone calls, or he didn't want to call too late and wake me up, etc....

Bridget, don't feel badly. You wouldn't have known, and she should've warned you. Take it as the opportunity to.teach Kai that he needs to be very aware around animals, even if they seem domesticated. Lesson to you too. Geese and ducks can be particularly mean, as well. And goats. Any freakin thing, really

Quote Originally Posted by The10Eels View Post
    I confess I am uber irritated...

B's mom just called me. He called her yesterday and she gave him grief about his best friend's girlfriend sending me a message on facebook saying that said friend misses audri and wanted my # so he could call and see how she was doing.

B told her, well he does miss her, and so do I. so she ripped into him about not calling etc..

Douchecanoe tried to turn it all around and blame me!!! He said that I would never return his phone calls, or he didn't want to call too late and wake me up, etc....
    He's an @ss.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    He's an @ss.
    yup... and thankfully his mom knows this too

Quote Originally Posted by The10Eels View Post
    yup... and thankfully his mom knows this too
    That's good. At least he can't pull any crap with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    My friend had me over to her house last week and it happened to be the sabbath right after Rosh Hashanna (sp)? I've had Jewish friends ever since I was a child but I've never been a part of a sabbath dinner before. I felt very lucky to experience it. It was beautiful.

Stash, do you know anyone who has had an Upsherin (hair cutting) for her son? This same friend is doing that for her son and invited me. I've never heard of it before and did not know about the tradition. Is it common?
    No, it's not very common, except among pretty devout Jews. I've only been to one, with an orthodox family, years ago. It's basically the boy's first religious "coming of age."

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

According to Bean's signature, it's International Talk Like a Pirate Day, so I'll dust off my favorite pirate joke:

3.14% of Sailors are Pi Rates.

Arrr!

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    According to Bean's signature, it's International Talk Like a Pirate Day, so I'll dust off my favorite pirate joke:

Arrr!
    Arrrrrrr-gro-o-o-o-o-a-a-a-a-n-n-n-n-n-n
    That will be enough of that
    Me: Julie-46 DH: Kelly-52 DD: Rhianna-17 DS: Gage-He's 3!

We had Jess's bday party yesterday and can I just say...teenagers are awesome with Conner. He was the center of attention all day and Jess's friends were very accommodating to him. They played games with him and let him tag along wherever they went. He singled one out to be his gf (his idea) and she even held hands with him and sat next to him on the couch.

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post

Arrr!
    Arrr!

I had a friend who had two teenage girls and they were great with the kids too. They always did games and stuff whenever they had a Halloween party.
    The teens are also recruited for watching the kids at church if a grown up can't make it and Josh always has a blast.
    My church class was awesome today. We were brainstorming religions we wanted to learn more about and we got some really off the wall suggestions like cannibalism. ROFL
    The older youth group came up and invited our group to a Halloween sleepover at the church the night before Halloween. I think I'm more excited than the kids LOL
    Then Josh and I went to King Richard's Faire and had a great time. We saw the spitting image of Jack Sparrow from Pirates of the Carribean. *swoon*

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I can't remember if I told you this or not and I'm too lazy to look, but I met a girl and her sort of parent at the park last week--we hit it off, and we got invited to her birthday party today. So we all went to a party where we didn't know anyone except these two people we'd met once. It was really nice, everyone was quite friendly, everyone wanted to hold Soren, our present was a hit, and the twins were well-behaved and adorable. It didn't even occur to me to be uncomfortable. What do you think? Would you go to a party where you didn't know anyone? For the first two hours, there were only two other children there, so it was mostly an adult party.

I'd go. In fact, we do it all the time. Move to a tiny little town where you work from home offices and home school your kid, and you get mondo-brave about simply saying "heck with it" and going anywhere and everywhere you're invited. In fact, I ask mommies out on dates now without even flinching simply for the sake of finding new friends. It's great, actually. In two years we've been here we've created this lovely little community of friends we never would have if we hadn't just leapt in...

Good for you for going and glad you had a great time!

I think that's awesome that you went. I'd probably have wanted to go but chickened out.

I had a friend with a boy about Josh's age when Josh was a baby. She invited us to her son's first birthday and I didn't know anyone. It was really fun though. Everyone was very nice, they had great food, and Josh took fistfuls of his piece of cake and shoveled it in. The birthday boy picked at his cake. I felt bad that people were taking pictures of Josh instead of the birthday boy LOL but it was really funny.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    I think that's awesome that you went. I'd probably have wanted to go but chickened out.
    Ditto...
    Me: Julie-46 DH: Kelly-52 DD: Rhianna-17 DS: Gage-He's 3!

I think it's wonderful you went ahead and attended that party. I'm glad you had a great time.

I don't know what is going on, but my life is getting stranger and stranger by the minute. Earlier this afternoon, Gwennie lunged at Nero aiming for the jugular. Left puncture wounds on the underside of his mouth just in front of his throat and also inside his mouth. He was bleeding heavily. I took him straight to the emergency vet and just got home. Turns out the bite marks were very small, too small to need surgery, but he was in shock and bleeding and they gave him a heavy painkiller. I guess it makes dogs feel a little drunk and he was panting heavily and whining and the tech told me that's a normal side effect of the drug because the dogs are confused and don't understand what's happening. He's also stumbling around like he's drunk and has fallen a few times.

I don't understand what happened. Nero was lying down snoozing and didn't do anything to her at all. She just went for him, entirely unprovoked. I've had them both since they were puppies, her for 7 years and him for 9, and she's never done anything like this before. He was so stunned he didn't even fight back, and he is much larger than she is. I put her out on the porch and when I calm down I'll go check on her but poor Nero won't settle down and I'm hoping if I sit quietly in one place he'll lie down near me. I brought his dog bed out here and he won't even lie down on that. I'm supposed to keep them separated and keep her on a leash when I introduce them again, and he needs medicine and cold compresses three times a day. Oh, and he can't eat soft food as the vet doesn't want him irritating his jaw crunching on kibble so I have to feed him differently on top of everything else. I don't know how I'm going to do this alone and working full time.

I finally got him to lie down. He came up next to me and I petted him until he sat down, and then I tried to get him to lie down but he wouldn't. So I took his paws and slowly moved them forward until he was down, and now he's settling a little bit. I think he didn't know how to move his muscles.

Why did they give him something that strong for a wound so small it didn't even need stitches?

Poor baby. I wonder what the heck provoked her? Did the vet have any ideas?

Dude. Gwenn. I'm totally flabbergasted.

The vet thought maybe she hurt herself somehow and thought he was responsible for it. I wonder if she didn't step on a shard of glass from the broken window but she doesn't look hurt. I might have my dad come out and see if he can check her paws really thoroughly - he's really good at splinters and things and good with hurt animals. The only thing is, she only really trusts me and Kevin so I don't know if she'll let him.

The other thought I had is that she might have been angry at Nero for taking her rawhide chewie. I always give them both exactly the same ones at the same time, but Nero eats his right away and she saves hers and carries them around. If she leaves it unattended, he'll take it (usually about 10-15 hours later, not right away). She might have been upset about a chewie, but I didn't see a chewie on the floor when it happened or in his mouth when I checked it for blood so I don't think he did anything to provoke her. I may have to stop giving them rawhide.

I'm sorry about your doggies Gwenn I've never had dogs so I have no clue what might have happened.

I'm so sorry Gwenn. That all sounds so scary. I love my furbaby and I don't think I could handle her getting hurt or hurting another dog. I hope both dogs feel better soon.

Are they both spayed/neutered? If not that could cause problems, but it seems strange that they wouldn't have problems until now if that was it.
    Last edited by intactivstmom; 09-19-2010 at 09:22 PM.

"We cannot withhold facts for fear of offending because the importance of the information outweighs people's right to not be challenged in their beliefs." -Maddy Reid
    In memory of all APA babies gone too soon; always loved and never forgotten

Yes, he was neutered by the animal rescue before I got him at 8 weeks, believe it or not, and we had Gwennie spayed but she did go through one heat cycle. We thought she was younger than she actually was and we didn't expect it so soon.

I posted this in the Random confessions ... Katrina said something there about her dogs that got me thinking:

I can't help but wonder about how DH being gone is changing the dynamics of the dogs. Just the last couple of nights, we've had a change in sleeping patterns. When DH is home we both sleep on the bed (obviously) and Nero sleeps at my feet and the cat usually sleeps next to my head. There's no room for Gwen so she sleeps at the dog bed at the foot of the bed. She's done that ever since she was a puppy and never seemed to mind being the only one on the floor.

Just in the last month or so, she has been getting up on the bed with me when I go to bed. Then Nero will stand and bark at her until she moves. I've been trying to show Nero he can still get up here as there is room for them both but he wouldn't get up until she got down. She used to go very meekly but it's been taking longer and longer. Just last night she refused to get down at all and he ended up climbing over her and sleeping next to me on DH's pillow. I wonder if Gwennie feels she won a stand-off and should now be the alpha?