Page 455 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 355 405 445453454455456457 465 505 555 955 1455 ... LastLast
Results 13,621 to 13,650 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I've had a couple glasses of wine and I'm going to make myself cry.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I have a bad habit of writing out posts, and then clicking "go" on forum jump, instead of post reply. I don't know why I always do that, and it ticks me off. But I had written some stuff earlier today, and now my post is gone.
    Anyway, I hope everything is ok Gwenn. If you feel like pm'ing me, I would appreciate it, you have me worried.

"We cannot withhold facts for fear of offending because the importance of the information outweighs people's right to not be challenged in their beliefs." -Maddy Reid
    In memory of all APA babies gone too soon; always loved and never forgotten

3. Default

Gwenn, I'm sorry your Birthday started out by calling the cops! I hope it got better, even though I don't know what happened...

Everyone should be allowed to have a "F YOU" card to pull on their birthday to make things go their way.. even for just one day.

I was looking forward to a glass of wine but am on antibiotics until Tuesday, so no wine for me! You guys are making me want a drink, though, with the talk of drinks!

I was just talking about how fast time seems to go now that we're grown up...like, I remember having DS1 and saying, "We'll have 2 before you know it" and now we have 2! On a side note, we decided in June of last year while in Spain to ttc #2. And then we went to Spain in May of this year and SIL turned up pregnant, too, so now DH says every time we go to Spain, someone comes back pregnant....lol...

Well, the day did end on a slightly better note. Had a nice dinner with my parents (!) and exchanged the Wii system for the mac book. Now trying to figure the silly thing out. Love it, though, even though it is a mystery. I'm mourning the lack of page up/page down/home buttons. I prefer buttons to mouse/touchpad when possible.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

DH got me a cool present for our anniversary! (made me feel bad that I got him books but oh well, he seems to like them)
    He ordered poster-sized copies of the NY Times front pages from our birthdays, Josh's birthday and our wedding date. They're cool! We think we're going to hang them in our stairway. Josh is going to the inlaws this afternoon and we're trying to decide what to do. Probably dinner and Inception, which we really should see because it's gone from most theaters around here.
    I kind of wanted to go to Donnie Wahlberg's brother Paul's restaurant (he's a chef) but it's over an hour away. We'll see.

My end of pregnancy lack of patience is kicking in and Oscar was a whining mess today. Thanks to Bridget and Chrissy for your posts, today I will work much harder to remember that I only have a few more weeks with my only child. Even though the whining IS incessant. :p

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    My end of pregnancy lack of patience is kicking in and Oscar was a whining mess today. Thanks to Bridget and Chrissy for your posts, today I will work much harder to remember that I only have a few more weeks with my only child. Even though the whining IS incessant. :p
    Kai's been testing me too. The whining is SO hard to listen to when it's endless.
    I started this kindness jar where the kids could earn a button for acts of kindness. Sharing, kind words, any and all "Okay Mommy"'s get s a button trying to curb the constant arguing. Then they lose one for yelling, whining, arguing. When it's full, we go to something special. This is day 3.

It's empty as of now. I kind of want to forget the whole idea.

Gwenn, I'm glad your birthday got better. And I'm really glad that you may have made peace with your parents. They can be so maddening can't they? But life is so short and better to let it go.

You guys have to look at my siggy pic. I shared it on facebook but I don't think I have all of you on there. The kids were in the yard and asked me if they could use the garden hose to fill a bucket. I said that they could and then I went into the garage to unload a shipment of daycare supplies and there was a lot of giggling going on. But when I head Kai shriek "THIS IS SO FUN!" I knew I had to take a look. So I came out and this is what I found. They had made mud in all of the grassless areas like under the swing and at the bottom of the slide. She had grass in her teeth you guys! It was pretty hilarious.

Okay Bridget, I was about to go get a canning jar and some buttons until I read the last line of your post. Tell me when you find something that works. Last night the only thing that worked was "I am having a nice sabbath dinner with your daddy. If you would like to join us for dinner, which I would REALLY like, you have got to start being nice. Otherwise you can go sit in your room by yourself while we have a nice dinner." I felt like total **** for saying that to him, but I could not could not could not stand to sit and have dinner with a kid who was telling me how much everything sucked every six seconds, crying and whining and... yeah, I lost my patience.

And yes, we have sabbath dinner at our house. Every Friday, no matter what the week's been like, we sit in our dining room, light candles, tell each other what we're thankful for (for me I'm simply thankful we made it another week happy whole and healthy to sit at the table again together) and eat a nice dinner. It's a little challenging with a four year old who thinks dinner is a sucky waste of time when he could be PLAYING but I'm sticking with it.

And that picture is SO great. When our beds go fallow in the fall (or spring before we plant) I let Oscar go in with the hose and "make lakes and rivers." In fact, this next week will be a great time for that. This week he had mud caked up his NOSE by the time he was done...

And look at how Kai is looking at Savana! What great friends they will be. Are.

I love that idea of the sabbath dinner, Stacy. My kids are not allowed to come to the table and say anything rude about the food. They can't say yuck, gross, or anything like it. If they do they are asked to leave for five minutes and then come back and try again. They can say, "No thank you I don't care for that". Savana is on that train. Kai gets a kick out of saying "Gross" as much as possible. He just loves to push my buttons.

I'm going to the farm where I get my chickens from and picking up 10 that were just butchered on Monday. Fresh chickens! We're supposed to pick raspberries while we're there but it's cold and rainy so I can't decide if we should try anyway. My biggest whiner of all, dbf, isn't going to join us because he worked until 5am so we just might be able to do it in spite of the crap weather.

Okay, has anyone seen that thing going around on facebook, and also on my local craigslist, where the ER doctor writes about how he shouldn't have to pay for health care for the woman on medicaid with gold teeth and brand name clothes that smokes cigarettes. It's really, really pissing me off. I don't like it one bit.

Take the crap weather if it's not too intolerable. Raspberries don't stay for long! Ours are weeks done, here, but we have a freezer full. Yum to fresh chickens. We buy, literally, FIFTY in the summer from our farmer, freeze them, and eat them until next year.

Awesome picture, Bridget! I'm right there with you guys with the whining. When I tell him he's whining he says "no I'm noooooot" (still whining, LOL)

I've seen that, Bridget. That's kind of DH's take on the whole thing. I mean that he agrees with the doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    And look at how Kai is looking at Savana! What great friends they will be. Are.
    They are really good friends. They seriously play together for hours on end. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I've seen that, Bridget. That's kind of DH's take on the whole thing. I mean that he agrees with the doctor.
    I would guess that dbf feels the same. As well as likely many of my friends and family. But I don't. I mean, really? He's making assumptions about that woman just by how she looks and I wonder how many of his colleagues smoke cigarettes? And she's not allowed to wear nice clothes if she's on medicaid? It just reeks of presumption. And I hate that ****.

I just read an article in the Toronto Star of how a group of atheist in the US have started up a business...they are going to be looking after the Believers animals when the rapture comes
    Me: Julie-46 DH: Kelly-52 DD: Rhianna-17 DS: Gage-He's 3!

Yeah, I've seen that thing on FB...there's a few like that; I usually roll my eyes at them and wish there was a "dislike" button I could push.

That is an awesome picture, Bridget; they look like they had a blast!

Julie, I bet that business is going to make millions if they take pre-payments or insurance plans! LOL

22. Default

Quote Originally Posted by rhiannasmoms43 View Post
    I just read an article in the Toronto Star of how a group of atheist in the US have started up a business...they are going to be looking after the Believers animals when the rapture comes
    I love it!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I think I've heard of that business plan. It's a great idea.

We try to have a calm dinner with pleasant conversation every night, but I've never dared candles and keep forgetting my plan to put regular cups and napkins out. My biggest challenge is to get Claire to stay in her chair after 3 minutes, and to stop yelling "I'm done!" every 30 seconds after that. The funny thing is I'm not at all big on family rituals like holidays and we never had family dinners when I was growing up and I spent most of my childhood eating canned soup in my room (by my choice) while lying on the floor reading a book. The main thing I miss is that I never learned table manners.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Well, the day did end on a slightly better note. Had a nice dinner with my parents (!) and exchanged the Wii system for the mac book. Now trying to figure the silly thing out. Love it, though, even though it is a mystery. I'm mourning the lack of page up/page down/home buttons. I prefer buttons to mouse/touchpad when possible.
    Congrats on the new computer!!

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    DH got me a cool present for our anniversary! (made me feel bad that I got him books but oh well, he seems to like them)
    He ordered poster-sized copies of the NY Times front pages from our birthdays, Josh's birthday and our wedding date. They're cool! We think we're going to hang them in our stairway. Josh is going to the inlaws this afternoon and we're trying to decide what to do. Probably dinner and Inception, which we really should see because it's gone from most theaters around here.
    I kind of wanted to go to Donnie Wahlberg's brother Paul's restaurant (he's a chef) but it's over an hour away. We'll see.
    That's awesome!!

Bridget, your kids are hilarious! I wanna play with them too.

Stacy, it does go fast but it sure doesn't feel like it when you're in the moment.

I don't like 50% of what I see on FB. Mostly the conservative nonsense.

We currently don't even have a dinning room table...I'm using it as a computer desk. Priorities? I'm hoping to get a nice dinning room table set, but we're probably going to be moving next summer and I think we should wait.

See, and I have such memories of good family meals as a kid. Mostly holidays, but anything traditional really. It comes with the Jewish culture, and I want to perpetuate that bit.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Gwenn, I'm glad your birthday got better. And I'm really glad that you may have made peace with your parents. They can be so maddening can't they? But life is so short and better to let it go.
    Bridget, I was thinking of you throughout this whole experience and I knew I needed to find a way to change it. I'm glad we made peace, too.

My dad had some really interesting things to say about my situation, as well. He thinks the person behind it has been watching and thinks DH and I are split up, and thinks I will think DH did it. Ummm...the though of DH doing this never even crossed my mind but looking at it after he said that it does seem like this individual tried to frame him. The thing is, she did a VERY poor job of it. If DH did try to threaten me, it wouldn't look like that. And just a couple of hours before this happened, DH and I were skype chatting and he told me "My computer is playing one of the songs that makes me think of you."

My friend had me over to her house last week and it happened to be the sabbath right after Rosh Hashanna (sp)? I've had Jewish friends ever since I was a child but I've never been a part of a sabbath dinner before. I felt very lucky to experience it. It was beautiful.

Stash, do you know anyone who has had an Upsherin (hair cutting) for her son? This same friend is doing that for her son and invited me. I've never heard of it before and did not know about the tradition. Is it common?

My parents were big into meals at the table too. Once in a while we'd order pizza and watch a movie but most of the time we were at the dining room table. It was nice.
    We also used to go out to eat a lot, which I really admire my parents for, knowing now how hard it is LOL My favorite place was a Chinese restaurant that used to make me Shirley Temples with like 8 cherries in them.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Ooh, I have fond memories of feeling incredibly fancy and privileged and grown up drinking a Shirley Temple as a little girl, too.

I have been spending so much time planning things to do to occupy us all for the empty hours while dh is away that I totally spaced that the twins had a dance class today. Soren was sleeping in really late and I was still in my pajamas when there was an automatic pop-up reminder on my computer screen saying there was a dance class in 20 minutes.

I had the twins drink some milk and then go to the potty while I ran, woke up Soren, got dressed myself, dressed Soren, grabbed socks and shoes for the twins and then helped them put them on. I looked up directions for the dance class (I hadn't been there yet), got everyone in the car, drove there--luckily it was only 10 minutes away--found parking only a block and a half away, and walked through the door right on time.

I can't believe I pulled it off. I was able to feed Soren the whole time they were dancing, and it helped calm my racing heart. And I'm glad that we are pretty good about getting out the door efficiently in general so that when I'm really in a hurry they'll help grab shoes and then go stand over by the door and then go directly down to the car once I open the door.