Page 441 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 3413914314394404414424434514915419411441 ... LastLast
Results 13,201 to 13,230 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

shutterbird Guest

Sickening.

Related to that, when my brothers were in boot camp, they told me that the atheists were ridden a lot harder by the drill instructors. They also had to go to church, but had to just wait outside.
    Last edited by shutterbird; 08-22-2010 at 01:16 PM.

This happens a lot in the military, though. It's not that they were punished because it was Christian. In the military, you either participate in the "mandatory fun" or you do **** work.

In basic training, I always went to church on Sundays. It was the only place you could laugh and smile and talk without getting yelled out. I would close my eyes, saying I was "praying". Those that didn't go to church had to clean and hang out with the TI. No thank you.

shutterbird Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stephmama View Post
    This happens a lot in the military, though. It's not that they were punished because it was Christian. In the military, you either participate in the "mandatory fun" or you do **** work.

In basic training, I always went to church on Sundays. It was the only place you could laugh and smile and talk without getting yelled out. I would close my eyes, saying I was "praying". Those that didn't go to church had to clean and hang out with the TI. No thank you.
    Which branch of the military were you in? I remember the religion (or lack thereof) being printed on dog tags. Could you go if you were a proclaimed atheist? Hmm..

How unfortunate. There are many reasons I wouldn't fit in the military...that would be one of them.

I finally went out and bought myself some new bras. I was against getting padded ones (what's the point of a boob job if you're still going to where padded?) but because there were very few non-granny non-padded bras, I did get one. It's not too thick though and feels really nice.

I'm a bit sad to be wearing bras again though. I like going without them.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I have a Veggie Tales cd that Savana LOVES. I had no idea it was religious when I bought it. There is one song called, "In the Belly of the Whale" which, in retrospect is obviously the story of Jonas but nothing else seems super Godly. It has a rock n roll vibe to it so Savana thinks it great.

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbird View Post
    Which branch of the military were you in? I remember the religion (or lack thereof) being printed on dog tags. Could you go if you were a proclaimed atheist? Hmm..

I was in the Air Force and yeah, they put religion on your dog tags. You could put whatever you want. It's for if you get killed, they know how to honor your body according to your religion.

I had no clue about Veggie Tales being religious. We've never watched them. I don't know when they came out, but Sydney nor Conner have seemed interested in them.

9. Default

MIL got Audri the super silly songs countdown for her bday, and none of those were religious that I can remember... Though that dvd was with the dvd player that was stolen from my moms truck, so i cant check

Quote Originally Posted by The10Eels View Post
    MIL got Audri the super silly songs countdown for her bday, and none of those were religious that I can remember... Though that dvd was with the dvd player that was stolen from my moms truck, so i cant check
    wtf? People.

Speaking of DVD players...I went to visit my dad yesterday and he gave me one. I wish he didn't think he had to give me something every time I went over to visit him.

There was a veggie tales book in my pedi's office, with a moral about telling the truth, or GOD WOULD KNOW. No ****, those words exactly. I mentioned it to the pedi and he promptly dropped it in the trash. Didn't know it before I'd mentioned it.

Someone just dropped a house on my sister!

Someone got Lorelai a Veggie Tales plushy that says "God made you special and He loves you!" I said "NO, Mommy made you special and yes, I do love you!"

And that article doesn't surprise me at all. When DH was in WOCS the only time I was allowed to see him was in church on Sundays. He had 2 choices- go to church to see his family or stay in the barracks.

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    There was a veggie tales book in my pedi's office, with a moral about telling the truth, or GOD WOULD KNOW. No ****, those words exactly. I mentioned it to the pedi and he promptly dropped it in the trash. Didn't know it before I'd mentioned it.
    That is so disturbing. It's hard for me to fathom wanting to put that kind of anxiety in your child.

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    And that article doesn't surprise me at all. When DH was in WOCS the only time I was allowed to see him was in church on Sundays. He had 2 choices- go to church to see his family or stay in the barracks.
    I'm really surprised that that is still going on in the military, and that it's ok. Has no one has tried to fight it?

It's the military, Chrissy. You are government property. You signed up for it, you do what you are told, and you STFU.

Well now I know what to tell Jessica to keep her from enlisting.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    That is so disturbing. It's hard for me to fathom wanting to put that kind of anxiety in your child.
    I can fathom it. Control. It's hard work to actually talk to your child and find gentle strategies to get them to listen to you, and to truly learn moral lessons for the sake of morality instead of because you're going to go to hell or get smacked in the head if you don't listen. It's the cheap and easy way out.

shutterbird Guest

I can fathom it. Control. It's hard work to actually talk to your child and find gentle strategies to get them to listen to you, and to truly learn moral lessons for the sake of morality instead of because you're going to go to hell or get smacked in the head if you don't listen. It's the cheap and easy way out.
    Yes! I agree here. I was told that God doesn't like when I lie, and I will go to hell if I do.

I pretty much had some good examples of how NOT to parent. lol

shutterbird Guest

I confess I'm about to spontaneously explode with excitement over my upcoming trip.

Yeah, this. I've heard my uncle say he wouldn't be a good person if he wasn't afraid of god/god's consequences. His wife told me that at one point they weren't sure if religion was what they wanted, and then they realized without it their kids would have no guidance in life, and they would end up like all the screwed up people "out there".

It's pretty sad. I've heard my young cousins fighting with each other and the biggest insult they can think of is "You are bad, and you won't go to Heaven." One time another uncle actually told his daughter to tell our cousin that if she wasn't nice she couldn't go to heaven and be with her family or Jesus.
    Religious or not, I don't see how anybody could feel comfortable with that level of manipulation and such cruel threat, especially over two 4yr olds fighting.
    Last edited by intactivstmom; 08-23-2010 at 12:30 PM.

"We cannot withhold facts for fear of offending because the importance of the information outweighs people's right to not be challenged in their beliefs." -Maddy Reid
    In memory of all APA babies gone too soon; always loved and never forgotten

Hell. What a wonderful thing to threaten a developing person with. How about "if you're not nice to me I won't want to be around you. I like it when you're nice and I want to play with you. When you're mean, I don't want to play with you." That's enough for MY four year old.

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbird View Post
    I confess I'm about to spontaneously explode with excitement over my upcoming trip.

I know how you feel! Where are you off to again? We're leaving for the beach on Sunday morning. Sadly, Danny will only get to be there with us 2-3 days of the first week, and then again 2-3 days of the second week since it's our busy season here at the restaurant, but I'll take it.
    Just Midge

shutterbird Guest

Quote Originally Posted by midgeend View Post
    I know how you feel! Where are you off to again? We're leaving for the beach on Sunday morning. Sadly, Danny will only get to be there with us 2-3 days of the first week, and then again 2-3 days of the second week since it's our busy season here at the restaurant, but I'll take it.
    Just home to see my family... it's been over a year now!

Have fun at the beach!

I'd love to go on a trip right now. Ideally, I would love to take both kids and go to Girdwood, AK to visit one of my closest friends from high school. I miss her so much. She lives on the side of a mountain in a home her husband built with no running water. They are big time hippies and I need that right now.

And to add to the God fearing conversation. I had a little guy I take care of tell me today in the middle of a Go Fish game, "If you don't believe in God you go to the devil."
    Coming out of his cute little face. It scared me. I think I said, "Yeee" and changed the subject. I didn't know what to say.

I could use a vacation too, which is selfish considering I went on vacation in June and then again only a few weeks ago, but visiting family that I don't want to visit isn't really a vacation IMO.

Whoa about the little dude's comment though Bridget!! That would have made me make my weird, crazy, shocked face (there is no smiley than can compare!) I have had kids say stuff like that to me though, even my nephews who thought that all people who don't go to church or believe in god were evil devil worshippers. I have one of my nephews come to visit every summer and they are always surprised that I don't believe in god but don't worship the devil LOL. I explain that most people who don't believe in god don't believe in the devil either so neither one gets worshipped. The oldest was impressed by that. The younger one, not so much. He was just like "eh at least I don't have to worry about you cutting me up and feeding me to the devil." He actually said that, he uses very creative language.

Erin

My sister is very superstitious and has always talked about ghosts and that sort of thing. I'm not superstitious by nature but with her as an older sister it was a sort of learned behavior I had to work to get rid of when I got older. When I saw my sister last weekend and was playing Led Zeppelin songs for my nephew my sister made some comment about how Jimmy Page worshiped the devil. My sister is a fan of theirs, so I didn't even think she would object, but after she said that I remembered she she used to tell me that all the time when I was a child and at the time I believed her. She scared me so much as a 6 year old that I actually refused to listen to them until well into adulthood when I realized I really liked them and they weren't devil worshipers. So I got really upset and shouted at her (playfully, though) that he didn't worship the devil.

She got this really shocked/scared look on her face and said, "Don't say that!" I blinked, and asked why. She said, "What if you're wrong?"

Ummm...then I'd be wrong. But I don't know what bad thing she things is going to happen if I say that and I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 08-23-2010 at 06:09 PM.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

People live their whole lives in fear that some big shoe is going to come step on their heads if they even THINK about doubting what they're taught.

Pretty effective system of brainwashing a whole society, ain't it? I think I need to start me a religion. It's going to be focused on how everyone has to be nice to Stacy, cook her dinner once a week, and give her lots of money, or else.

I think I need to start me a religion. It's going to be focused on how everyone has to be nice to Stacy, cook her dinner once a week, and give her lots of money, or else.
    Others have done it before you. Some quite successfully.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I confess that I took care of one of my regular charge's older brother today because his summer camp ended and he wore.me.out.
    I can keep 1-5 year olds busy all day but this kid would not be content. He's mildly autistic which I have no experience with at all but I also wouldn't even have known that if his mom hadn't told me. He was just really bored or something but it was it hard. I'm glad it was only one day.

How old is he, Bridget?