Page 437 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 3373874274354364374384394474875379371437 ... LastLast
Results 13,081 to 13,110 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Yeah, the last person I'd take advice from is someone who raised a person with a lot of issues to resolve.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Yeah, the last person I'd take advice from is someone who raised a person with a lot of issues to resolve.
    Right? When my mom judges how I handle Oscar, I look at my brother and sister. Me, it took me until I was about 35 to straighten my **** out after she raised me. Them... well, they're still working at it

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    what drives me nuts is people who aren't parents yet, or people who have younger children, who judge the behavior of an older child like "my children won't behave that way because I will x, y, or z." They don't get that no matter what you DO your children are CHILDREN and they'll act like nutcases at some point about something.
    Totally... We were at the fair a week or so ago, and Audri was fed up with the stroller... I have a "leash" (Just connected wristbands basically) that I put on Audrianna and I. While she typically listens fairly well when I let her walk with me, I wasn't letting her roam free in that environment, with that many people. The risk was just too great for me to feel comfortable with.

Anyways.. We're walking along, and this like.. 12 year old girl cries out "How HORRIBLE!! They have their kid on a leash!!!"

and then about a minute later a woman with a couple kids in tow walks by and goes "Oh man, I need one of those for my kids!"

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    And yeah, it trips me out big time when dbf's mom tries to say one thing to me about my parenting. It's like "HELLO, I live with your son. I'm doing the opposite of whatever you did!"
    I'd typically agree with this, except I know how B and his sisters were/are raised, and for the most part agree with everything MIL did/does...

But we all know how B turned out..... (his sisters are amazing though...)

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    ITA with this as well.

My MIL used to try to give me all sorts of parenting advice. But basically all she did was beat my DH into submission and he still has a lot of anger towards her. She used to always complain about how loud Ky was. I just don't see how being loud, like talking loud and laughing loud are such a big deal. He's happy and not crying, ya know. Elle is the same way. I call it her "joyful noise" and MIL did comment about how Elle is loud when we were at her house about 2 weeks ago but that she is not as loud as Ky was, then she said she is surprsed Ky is no longer as loud and what a good boy he is so I figure that was some sort of apology for her talking about Elle's joyful noises. She screeches everytime she sees something funny or interesting and one of DH's friends brought over a little maltipoo puppy and she was just screaming and laughing and pointing and saying, "look at that dog, it's a dog", over and over REALLY loud, everyone else thought it was cute. She had never seen such a little dog before and was just tickled.

Erin
    Last edited by Ky'sMom; 08-16-2010 at 01:08 PM.

Well, I believe you can raise someone the best you can and they can still have issues. I don't automatically blame the parenting when the person has issues, or doesn't know how to parent or whatever.
    My parents for the most part were endlessly patient with me. I mean they had a bigger challenge than usual, raising a child with spina bifida and not even being prepared for it. Whatever foibles they have, I can forgive almost all of them just because they had to deal with so many medical issues. But I am just not a patient person like they were.

shutterbird Guest

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Well, I believe you can raise someone the best you can and they can still have issues.
    Definitely. Parents can't take the fall for everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    ITA with this as well.

My MIL used to try to give me all sorts of parenting advice. But basically all she did was beat my DH into submission and he still has a lot of anger towards her. She used to always complain about how loud Ky was. I just don't see how being loud, like talking loud and laughing loud are such a big deal. He's happy and not crying, ya know. Elle is the same way. I call it her "joyful noise" and MIL did comment about how Elle is loud when we were at her house about 2 weeks ago but that she is not as loud as Ky was, then she said she is surprsed Ky is no longer as loud and what a good boy he is so I figure that was some sort of apology for her talking about Elle's joyful noises. She screeches everytime she sees something funny or interesting and one of DH's friends brought over a little maltipoo puppy and she was just screaming and laughing and pointing and saying, "look at that dog, it's a dog", over and over REALLY loud, everyone else thought it was cute. She had never seen such a little dog before and was just tickled.

Erin

It hurts my heart when someone is annoyed by a child's loud laughter or excitement. They're just happy kids, let them be happy!

And I don't take parenting advice from my parents, at all!

Some kids turn out to be jerks, no matter how they're parented. But I do have to say, that most of the people I know who I think are really pretty yucky folks have parents who were pretty yucky folks, too.

10. Default

I confess just as things started to get straightened out and settled at my current job, I got a call to go in and interview for a state job I applied for a month ago...

shutterbird Guest

I was so worried about my aunt spilling the beans to my mom when I'm the one who ended up spoiling the surprise. But just to my dad! We're still going to get my mom.

I was talking to my aunt earlier and she was going on and on about bringing her new boyfriend and the entire crew to come get us. Beggars can't be choosers and all that, but I had another option and chose it. I can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by The10Eels View Post
    I confess just as things started to get straightened out and settled at my current job, I got a call to go in and interview for a state job I applied for a month ago...
    Are you going to the interview? Good luck if you are!

I confess I have this one crazy witch-hair that grows from my right eyebrow. That's all.

I confess I have this one crazy witch-hair that grows from my right eyebrow. That's all.
    LOL. Do you tweeze it?

I confess that I have just wanted sugar all day today...and I still feel that way now!

Yes, but I forget sometimes.

16. Default

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Are you going to the interview? Good luck if you are!
    Oh ABSOLUTELY! They pay over twice what I make now... and have great benefits! and its mon-fri

shutterbird Guest

Oh ABSOLUTELY! They pay over twice what I make now... and have great benefits! and its mon-fri
    That sounds awesome! Can you advance at the job? If so, I wouldn't hesitate to take it! Best of luck!

I have a hair that grows under my jawline...it freaks me out.

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbird View Post
    That sounds awesome! Can you advance at the job? If so, I wouldn't hesitate to take it! Best of luck!
    I could.. its starting as an office assistant, and I could move up to case worker, etc... (its with DFS)

Cool Ashley! I hope you get the new job. Funny how life throws your for a tailspin just when you get settled in, isn't it?

Totally... We were at the fair a week or so ago, and Audri was fed up with the stroller... I have a "leash" (Just connected wristbands basically) that I put on Audrianna and I. While she typically listens fairly well when I let her walk with me, I wasn't letting her roam free in that environment, with that many people. The risk was just too great for me to feel comfortable with.

Anyways.. We're walking along, and this like.. 12 year old girl cries out "How HORRIBLE!! They have their kid on a leash!!!"

and then about a minute later a woman with a couple kids in tow walks by and goes "Oh man, I need one of those for my kids!"

I'd typically agree with this, except I know how B and his sisters were/are raised, and for the most part agree with everything MIL did/does...

But we all know how B turned out..... (his sisters are amazing though...)
    Oh man, I loved having a 'leash' with Conner. He's still a runner, but listens better so I haven't used it in at least a year. I never needed one with my girls. Each child is different and if it works, then use it.

Fairs and other crowded places make me very anxious when I have a little one to worry about. If they get out of your sight, they're just gone. Talk about panic

And I do know that sometimes kids (adults) can be brats despite good parenting. I think, though, that the majority of the time the parents do things that cause a lot of anguish and mental health issues. Sometimes they're insurmountable.

Quote Originally Posted by stephmama View Post
    It hurts my heart when someone is annoyed by a child's loud laughter or excitement. They're just happy kids, let them be happy!
    Yes. Rich was getting like that with the kids, and I finally had a huge melt-down on him about it. I was ready to leave. Between that and a couple other things...but that was my biggest and I still have some lingering anger about it, even though he's been better for the past 2-3 months.

Ohhhhh....good luck!!! It seems like that's always the way it happened with me. I'd have a 'dry spell' and not hear anything for months, then I'd have back-to-back interviews and a couple job offers within a short period of time.

I do hope this works out for you!!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

One of the twin moms in my local group uses this response when anyone comments on how horrible it is to have children on a harness:

"Yes, we used to think it was horrible too, but *sniff* we used to have triplets."

OMG Lydia. I am going to use that one with the new kid when he hits leash age. I adored my leash. So did Oscar because it kept me from keeping a vice grip on his poor little arm to keep him from dashing into crowds, traffic, ponds, rail tracks, you name it...

I confess my bathroom is DONE and now I'm ready to give birth. Except I have at least 5 more weeks to wait. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    One of the twin moms in my local group uses this response when anyone comments on how horrible it is to have children on a harness:

"Yes, we used to think it was horrible too, but *sniff* we used to have triplets."

Stash-your bathroom looks beautiful! I love the tile!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I confess my bathroom is DONE and now I'm ready to give birth.
    It looks beautiful!

You bathroom looks GREAT!!!

Erin

Hello! I haven't read any of the previous posts, but I have something to confess. I kinda feel bad about it, but I was so fed up. So at my local Walmart, they always have random groups outside the entry to raise funds, selling whatever goods. Fine. Just don't approach me as I walk in & out of the store. I can read and if I want to donate, I will. Well the past couple of weeks there has been this really annoying group selling homemade baked goods for a "Christian school" as they put it. Always approaching people right at the entrance (standing in between the double doors) and asking for your money. Quite frankly, I would never buy homemade food cause I don't trust the source, and approaching me just pisses me off big time.

Sooooo, yesterday I'm waddling my 38 week prego butt with my 2 1/2 year old in tow into the store, and they approach me AGAIN.

Her: "We have homemade baked goods, supports a really good cause, a CHRISTIAN school!" (she put lots of emphasis on the word Christian)

Me: "Oh? Well I'm Atheist so, guess NOT!"

I kinda feel bad about that, but seriously, leave me alone!!!!! Okay, feel better that I confessed!!

Thanks. I splurged on the tile since it's such a small space. I want to live in there, now.

30. Default

I confess I had my interview this morning, and I cried..

I freaking cried during a job interview!!