Page 428 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 3283784184264274284294304384785289281428 ... LastLast
Results 12,811 to 12,840 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

Ah okay. Thanks for the heads up.

shutterbird Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    I will just say this about the prop 8 discussion issue and then I'm done. I noticed a post in the christian forum asking to refrain from debating homosexuality as religious debates can become heated. Have not seen that request/warning elsewhere. I think the idea is just to head that off before it starts. Hope my saying that much isn't a problem.
    That's because there was a big thing last year (?? can't exactly remember) where a few members were openly bashing gay people. Turned into a big thing () that almost got the religious section deleted altogether.

I didn't realize topics about gay rights weren't allowed, period. My post in Random was made to celebrate, not offend or start anything. Just thought I'd get that out there.

I think peole know your intentions were good. Don't worry about that.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbird View Post
    That's because there was a big thing last year (?? can't exactly remember) where a few members were openly bashing gay people. Turned into a big thing () that almost got the religious section deleted altogether.

I didn't realize topics about gay rights weren't allowed, period. My post in Random was made to celebrate, not offend or start anything. Just thought I'd get that out there.
    I think everyone knew that. I was pretty sad that as a forum we can't be trusted to play nice. But I understand the mods decision to close the thread.

"We cannot withhold facts for fear of offending because the importance of the information outweighs people's right to not be challenged in their beliefs." -Maddy Reid
    In memory of all APA babies gone too soon; always loved and never forgotten

shutterbird Guest

I confess I love being surprised by how there are still kind people out there. A lady I play Zoo with on FB (don't laugh I'm an insomniac!) messaged me tonight with the sweetest message and offering of support. She heard about my grandmother being put in the hospital again today and was really kind. I live pretty far away from my family, and I'm usually the last one to hear about anything. In fact, I just learned this morning that she was in a different hospital last week, released, and put back in last night. Nobody bothered to call me, but I get a message from this stranger offering support.

6. Default

I confess a girl I graduated high school with just posted on her FB "Just found out my husband is in love with someone else....."

I am crushed for her.. They were to me the picture of a perfect marriage. Seemed so in love, and just had their second baby.

Things like this make me think that there really is no hope for marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Pregnancy is so weird.
    All I want to eat are the garden fresh tomatos that are piling up in my kitchen. I'm usually not a huge tomato eater but I crave them now.
    But of course they are giving me heartburn and canker sores. Ah, joy.
    Why can't I crave something bland and soothing?
    When I was pg with Abbey I craved jalapeņos so badly I used to order a bowl of them on the side of whatever mexican food I would have, then just eat them straight. One waiter was like "Are you sure the baby is OK with that?" I remember one time my lips burning and red (like chapped lips) and I still couldn't stop eating them. Of course now, I can't stand them.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

That's so sweet Kim! I'm sorry to hear about your Grandma.

That sucks Ashley.

I tend to agree with the marriage thing...I just don't see it work out that often. When I do see it work out it's mainly because both people have an extremely busy life and never see each other. LOL
    Honestly I should have known marriage would not be for me. I hate sharing my space, I hate cleaning, I hate talking to people. I get bored with everything very quickly. Why did I think living with the same person for decades would work out for me? Sheesh.

I'm sorry about your grandmother Kim
    It bothers me that we find out about everything via fb and email, etc. these days. I miss getting happy phone calls and I also miss the personal touch of a phone call bearing sad news. Now it's like you just post it on fb and hope everyone sees it.

Quote Originally Posted by stephmama View Post
    woo hoo!!

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbird View Post
    I confess I love being surprised by how there are still kind people out there. A lady I play Zoo with on FB (don't laugh I'm an insomniac!) messaged me tonight with the sweetest message and offering of support. She heard about my grandmother being put in the hospital again today and was really kind. I live pretty far away from my family, and I'm usually the last one to hear about anything. In fact, I just learned this morning that she was in a different hospital last week, released, and put back in last night. Nobody bothered to call me, but I get a message from this stranger offering support.

That's so sweet. I'm sorry about your grandma, and that no one bothered to call you

Quote Originally Posted by The10Eels View Post
    I confess a girl I graduated high school with just posted on her FB "Just found out my husband is in love with someone else....."

I am crushed for her.. They were to me the picture of a perfect marriage. Seemed so in love, and just had their second baby.

That's rough....but I still believe in marriage. We have a few in this thread that have good marriages.

I'd even go so far as to say I don't necessarily think that just because one ends in divorce that it wasn't a 'good' marriage. I view my parents marriage as a good one while it lasted. I'm certain if my mother didn't have such an awful illness they would have been together till death. They do still love each other very much, but are both more mentally healthy apart. If something happened to me & Rich (this last year or 2 has made me consider leaving), I still wouldn't consider our marriage a bad one or a mistake. I know we both have had a lot of happiness in it.

Everyone's circumstances are different though. Life is hard, there's no 2 ways about it.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Kim I'm so sorry about your grandma and that no one in your family notified you.

As for marriage, my parents had an amazing one so I know they exist. Not for me at the moment but maybe someday.

I confess that I have a former family that called me a few days ago needing care again. The only problem is that she won't be able to pick up until 6pm. I don't want to do it. I get done at 4:30 now and it allows me to go see my dad during the week, take my kids swimming, to the park, to dance. We could use the extra money so it's probably selfish of me but I'd also be putting in an 11.5 hour day. I'm leaning toward not even telling dbf because he'd tell me to do it. Of cours, he could always get a full time job himself....

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Kim I'm so sorry about your grandma and that no one in your family notified you.

As for marriage, my parents had an amazing one so I know they exist. Not for me at the moment but maybe someday.

I confess that I have a former family that called me a few days ago needing care again. The only problem is that she won't be able to pick up until 6pm. I don't want to do it. I get done at 4:30 now and it allows me to go see my dad during the week, take my kids swimming, to the park, to dance. We could use the extra money so it's probably selfish of me but I'd also be putting in an 11.5 hour day. I'm leaning toward not even telling dbf because he'd tell me to do it. Of cours, he could always get a full time job himself....
    *cough* this.

I agree Bridget, I think that's too much.

Don't do it, Bridget, and don't tell DBF. Pllllllp.

I missed last year's homosexual discussion. Too bad insanity reigns sometimes. Difficult to believe that we can't talk about current events that are relevant to our parenting and our children. I'm delighted for the judge's rule because it truly upholds the constitution and makes it so that my family can live with the same rights as anyone else.

At any rate. Bridget how far along are you now ms no ticker and my brain is pregnant-fried?

And... as for marriage... it's not doomed. We're just not taught how to choose partners properly, when to choose partners, for what reasons, and we're sure as snot not taught how to WORK on a relationship to make it permanent. Our marriage failure rate is simply a symptom of a completely sick and dysfunctional society that raises people incapable of having truly healthy intimate relationships.

Which is also why, IMHO, traditional marriages have a higher rate of divorce and dysfunction than same sex partnerships (soon to be marriages and if it means that Jesus is coming soon I look forward to telling him how I feel about his influence on society).

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    Which is also why, IMHO, traditional marriages have a higher rate of divorce and dysfunction than same sex partnerships (soon to be marriages and if it means that Jesus is coming soon I look forward to telling him how I feel about his influence on society).
    I'd love to see that.

I still believe in marriage.

Mine's been pretty great so far, which is a surprise. I have no healthy marriages in my life as an example. Well, DH's parents have a pretty healthy marriage, but I didn't know them until I knew DH.

Quote Originally Posted by stephmama View Post
    I still believe in marriage.

Mine's been pretty great so far, which is a surprise. I have no healthy marriages in my life as an example. Well, DH's parents have a pretty healthy marriage, but I didn't know them until I knew DH.
    Mine, too. I am the only, and I mean only person in my entire immediate family (and DH's) who has only been married once. Most of them have been married more than twice.

I confess I just took a piece of leftover DiGiorno pizza, peeled off the cheese, and put feta, fresh mozz and kalamata olives on it. It was delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by The10Eels View Post

Aww, don't feel that. There is still hope...I just think that reasonable expectations is where a lot of people get thrown when the hot lust and romance dies down and companionship begins. My parents are going on 36 years and still pretty happy.
    I've been with DH for 12 years, married 7 years and are happy. Only thing we are missing is a baby that isn't furry with four legs and a tail.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I confess that I'm seriously considering selling my Grand Caravan and getting myself a little Cabriolet...'93 or older. I had a 93 before and loved it. Bobbie and Jessica will have a car of their own soon, and Rich's pick-up seats 6. We rarely go anywhere together as a family, and when we do we often take both vehicles anyway. I am done with owning a minivan!!

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post

I'd even go so far as to say I don't necessarily think that just because one ends in divorce that it wasn't a 'good' marriage. I view my parents marriage as a good one while it lasted. I'm certain if my mother didn't have such an awful illness they would have been together till death. They do still love each other very much, but are both more mentally healthy apart. If something happened to me & Rich (this last year or 2 has made me consider leaving), I still wouldn't consider our marriage a bad one or a mistake. I know we both have had a lot of happiness in it.

Everyone's circumstances are different though. Life is hard, there's no 2 ways about it.
    That is a good way to put it. I know DH's mom is on her third marriage but always considered her first one to be good even though it ended in divorce. But they had DH and they had many years of happiness together when they were young before his dad became an alcoholic.
    Second marriage, different story. Not good almost from day one.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

So I have a gay uncle and a lesbian aunt. And in high school one of my closest friends was gay.
    When I was dating DH, before we even met in person (we met online)....what are your thoughts on gay people, especially gay men. I had to know because if he was some big ole homophobe, that was a deal breaker.

His response.....gay guys are great....less competition for me when it comes to girls.
    Turns out my gay uncle is one of his favorite relatives of mine.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I confess that I'm seriously considering selling my Grand Caravan and getting myself a little Cabriolet...'93 or older. I had a 93 before and loved it. Bobbie and Jessica will have a car of their own soon, and Rich's pick-up seats 6. We rarely go anywhere together as a family, and when we do we often take both vehicles anyway. I am done with owning a minivan!!

Do it! I have a 2000 Golf, which is similar. I love my little car.

LOL...
    I met DH online and when we first started chatting I told him I was bi. He said "Oh, I know all about that" and I said "Why, are you bi?" He was like "NO the girl I just broke up with is."

27. Default

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I confess I just took a piece of leftover DiGiorno pizza, peeled off the cheese, and put feta, fresh mozz and kalamata olives on it. It was delicious.
    This reminded me.. For lunch yesterday we went to this little European market and had the most delicious gyros Ive ever tasted... and sweet potato tortilla chips.

After I finished my gyro, I had some cucumber sauce that had dripped onto the plate, and some chunks of feta.. so I scooped it up with the sweet potato tortilla chips... I think I could have eaten just that as my meal and been totally content...

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post

"We cannot withhold facts for fear of offending because the importance of the information outweighs people's right to not be challenged in their beliefs." -Maddy Reid
    In memory of all APA babies gone too soon; always loved and never forgotten

I confess now I need a gyro. But it would give me such awful heartburn. Then again, BANANAS give me heartburn nowadays

Never had lamb and don't think I would like it so never had a gyro...

Now bananas...they give me heartburn and I'm not pg. But I can eat lots of tomatoes.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36