Page 416 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 3163664064144154164174184264665169161416 ... LastLast
Results 12,451 to 12,480 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    You guys won't believe this! Remember how I just mentioned Wicked?
    DH is a cable guy--he met a guy today who is a major musical buff--however he had a work accident years ago and can't get around much anymore. He used to go to NYC every weekend and see a show two nights in a row. He'd get a picture with the cast, come back the next night and get the cast to sign it. DH said he had a room full of autographed pictures.

Anyway, now that he can't get around, he buys copies of videos of the shows to watch (apparently it's illegal to record the show but once you have made the copy it's not illegal to have it--weird law)

Soooo long story short DH got me two versions of Wicked, another one called Promises, Promises and the new show of La Cage aux Folles! He also got the guy's e mail address so I can e mail him and see if he has anything else I want.
    *bounces around*

OMG
    I'm sooo jealous!!

"We cannot withhold facts for fear of offending because the importance of the information outweighs people's right to not be challenged in their beliefs." -Maddy Reid
    In memory of all APA babies gone too soon; always loved and never forgotten

That was very sweet of him!

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Gwenn--Nice! What are those in the last picture?

Wow, thumbs up to the DH's today!
    Lydia, I'm so happy for you that twins are loving school so much.
    As far as Savana saying Junior instead of Jesus is because she doesn't know that much about him. My mom would tell her the story sometimes and tell her that Christmas is Jesus' birthday and I was fine that. We enjoy all kinds of stories. Anyway, she just really wanted to the balloon and had no idea why this lady was trying to tell her story she already heard before.

We were at a store last year around Christmas and she called him, "Baby Genius"

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Aw, your dh is a sweetheart Mandy.

Kate, how exciting for you, and that was thoughtful of your dh.

I love "Baby Genius!"

Gwenn--Nice! What are those in the last picture?
    On the top left it's chocolate covered cherries, and the package on the right containing a thick brown liquid was once apparently chocolate covered almonds before it spent 6 hours on a delivery truck in Tucson in July. I thought it was chocolate sauce!!! I put it all in the fridge and it's cooled off and hardened. I HOPE the cherries are okay. The chocolate almonds should be fine, I'll just break them into pieces.

Oh, and Lydia, I LOVE that picture of Soren.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 07-15-2010 at 08:12 PM.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Mmm, yummy!

I'm having trouble getting my husband to be a little more quiet with his 'lusty' comments to me. I mean, I'm very glad he still finds me attractive, but it doesn't exactly turn me on when my first reaction is, "Oh no, did the kids hear that?" I've tried communicating with him nicely about it but he doesn't learn. I think I hurt his feelings last night because I got a little snippy I just don't know what else to do to get him to hush...at least in front of the kids.

It's not like he can spell things out any more.

eta: It's not literally in front of the kids, but our house is very open and it has thin walls. If one of them was coming down the hallway yesterday, they could have heard him clearly. He doesn't make those comments where they can hear him on purpose, but he's not very aware of them all the time either.
    Last edited by missychrissy; 07-16-2010 at 06:49 AM.

Oscar's only reference to Jesus is the Jesus Christ superstar soundtrack. We've briefly told him the abbreviated story, which is "good guy everyone thought should be there king, other guys didn't like him" but we've been clear, just like we are with other stories, that he's not real. Oscar thinks he's on par with spongebob.

Conner has no clue who Jesus is. If someone tells him about some guy in the sky watching him, I'm afraid he'll get freaked out.

Soooo long story short DH got me two versions of Wicked, another one called Promises, Promises and the new show of La Cage aux Folles! He also got the guy's e mail address so I can e mail him and see if he has anything else I want.
    *bounces around*

OMG
    My sister and dad just saw Promises, Promises and LOVED it. They were in NYC last weekend to see Lady Gaga and also saw West Side Story, Promises Promises and American Idiot.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Yikes Chrissy!
    No worries about that here! LOL Not that Dh doesn't lust after me but he doesn't really vocalize it.
    Josh has no idea about Jesus....
    Oh and something that really bothers me is that sometimes when I go to the gym they have the 700 club playing on both tv's (it's a very small gym)
    I don't really get it, since they usually have Regis and Kelly or the Today show on. I want to say something but not really sure what, or if I should? I just can't really stand to work out with that in my face. And I dont see like, anyone watching it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    My sister and dad just saw Promises, Promises and LOVED it. They were in NYC last weekend to see Lady Gaga and also saw West Side Story, Promises Promises and American Idiot.
    Now that's my kind of weekend!

14. Default

I confess... my "baby" is a two year old!

Happy Birthday!

I could see if anyone in my womens group or from church wants to go, but I'm not particularly close with anyone. I could also see if my mom wants to go. I think she'd like it.
    wish i was closer - i could see wicked 1000 times
    \
    Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I honestly feel like that should be against the law. I mean, it's one thing to practice your own religion, it's quite another to allow your child to die because you refuse medical intervention. I will never understand people like that.
    ITA

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    Oscar's only reference to Jesus is the Jesus Christ superstar soundtrack. We've briefly told him the abbreviated story, which is "good guy everyone thought should be there king, other guys didn't like him" but we've been clear, just like wer stories, that he's not real. Oscar thinks he's on par with spongebob.
    spongebob is pretty cool.
    Just Midge

Happy Birthday!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Aww, Happy Birthday!
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by The10Eels View Post
    I confess... my "baby" is a two year old!
    Happy birthday Audri!

Quote Originally Posted by midgeend View Post
    wish i was closer - i could see wicked 1000 times
    Me tooooo
    I watched one of them last night--the quality was good, but he had to keep putting the camera down (I guess ushers kept walking by) and at times he was focusing on the wrong thing, so you'd miss some action, and during "Loathing" he mainly focused on Galinda, when Elphaba has some really great parts.
    /drama geek off

Quote Originally Posted by midgeend View Post
    spongebob is pretty cool.
    Heh, you should hear the conversations. They go something like "ah, no, Jesus isn't real. Just like Oswald or Spongebob or Mikey-one-eye from Monsters, Inc. But they're pretty cool stories, aren't they?"

I confess I think all the cool people only exist online. I just went to a playgroup with some moms from the UU church. Now I know I'm relatively new to the group but I just feel completely ignored. Two of the women were really close so they sat and talked the whole time. They stayed in while I went outside with the husband of the house and the kids. Awkward...
    When I came in to say goodbye to the two friends on the couch, they barely looked at me. Jeez, sorry.
    Most of these women are totally pretentious anyway, I don't know why I try. They're all about organic this and hemp that and all natural this and bfing and cding and that's all fine but they look down their noses at people who don't (or even worse don't seem to realize there are people who don't) and they throw it in at every chance that everything they use is reusable or natural.
    One of the women has a reusable straw for heaven's sake.
    I confess I cried on the way home. I haven't had a good friend since high school and normally I'd say eff it, but I'm getting sick of being lonely and invisible. Even when I go to the gym the ladies say hi to Josh and not to me. WTF?

I'm sorry they were so rude to you. It really is a reflection of them and not you. They sound like snots.

23. Default

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I'm sorry they were so rude to you. It really is a reflection of them and not you. They sound like snots.
    ITA

I confess I think all the cool people only exist online..
    I've actually been thinking about this statement a lot and I just wanted to say, don't think everyone online is faking because I've met a few mommas from this board and their personality is as true online as it was irl when I met them.

I think it is tricky to find people you really connect with irl...especially for me, as I live in a really rural, redneck area. But I'm sure there are obstacles in finding a 'good fit' in urban areas as well.

I just don't want you losing faith in the human race There are still some gems out there.

I confess I think all the cool people only exist online. I just went to a playgroup with some moms from the UU church. Now I know I'm relatively new to the group but I just feel completely ignored. Two of the women were really close so they sat and talked the whole time. They stayed in while I went outside with the husband of the house and the kids. Awkward...
    When I came in to say goodbye to the two friends on the couch, they barely looked at me. Jeez, sorry.
    Most of these women are totally pretentious anyway, I don't know why I try. They're all about organic this and hemp that and all natural this and bfing and cding and that's all fine but they look down their noses at people who don't (or even worse don't seem to realize there are people who don't) and they throw it in at every chance that everything they use is reusable or natural.
    One of the women has a reusable straw for heaven's sake.
    I confess I cried on the way home. I haven't had a good friend since high school and normally I'd say eff it, but I'm getting sick of being lonely and invisible. Even when I go to the gym the ladies say hi to Josh and not to me. WTF?
    I'm sorry that was such a crappy play date. It's too bad we are on opposite sides of the country.

I feel lonely almost all the time. I don't have any good friends, moms or otherwise. The dumbest thing is I have 3 aunts and my mom all within 10 minutes. Spending time with them usually just makes things worse.

"We cannot withhold facts for fear of offending because the importance of the information outweighs people's right to not be challenged in their beliefs." -Maddy Reid
    In memory of all APA babies gone too soon; always loved and never forgotten

I agree with Chrissy that it is extremely hard to find people you really connect with in real life. I thank my lucky stars that I have my old friends within a couple hours of me. So often when I meet someone new, I just feel like a weirdo.
    And seriously? Screw those women. They sound horribly rude and self absorbed. Yuck.

Oh yeah, I didn't mean the cool people were faking it. It's just that I don't know any of you IRL so it's like you only exist online, KWIM? LOL
    I don't want to turn this into a pity party but I'm getting really discouraged. For 13 years...all my attempts at friendships have failed. No matter how much you think, well it's them, not me...it's pretty sad anyway.

Good, I didn't know if you felt that or not, so I only wanted to reassure you just in case.

And believe me, I can totally relate to difficulties with making friends. Sometimes it is me...I have high standards (or they're high imo!) and I don't tolerate ignorance very well. I feel annoyed easily and just don't want to put effort into a friendship.

It would be nice, though, to have someone close to me that wasn't work. I don't do well with biting my tongue if I have to do it frequently. It's probably a flaw of mine, but I'm unmotivated to change it.

I confess sometimes it bothers me when something good happens to us and someone says 'thank the Lord!" or "God is good!" Um... what about all our hard work that went into the situation? No, our back-breaking efforts were nothing, it was *your* prayers that helped us.

Whatever.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

shutterbird Guest

I'm sorry you had such a bad playdate, Kate. I hate those high and mighty types that think it's okay to walk all over people because they do X or X a certain way. Just rude.