Page 414 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 3143644044124134144154164244645149141414 ... LastLast
Results 12,391 to 12,420 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Stupid unrelated question...is nudity a morality issue? If I saw naked people at a nude beach, I wouldn't assume they were immoral, so imo, it's not a morality issue. It's a personal comfort issue.
    Yes it is. If I had to guess I would say that it has to do with Adam and Eve, seeing they are naked and knowing it is shameful.
    I love being naked or at the very least wearing tanks tops or short shorts, but my very religious family is offended if they can see my shoulders. I can't even wear tank tops around them.

"We cannot withhold facts for fear of offending because the importance of the information outweighs people's right to not be challenged in their beliefs." -Maddy Reid
    In memory of all APA babies gone too soon; always loved and never forgotten

I know what you mean. I'd do almost anything to have a home birth, but due to the fact that I had 2 previous c-sections I really didn't dare try it.

Bridget, if that's what your heart desires, I really think you should go with it. Your dbf will either be supportive or he won't, but I suspect he'll behave whichever way floats his boat at the moment regardless of where you give birth.
    I know some women do have home births after cesareans (hbac). Dh has always thought I would die in labor, even before I was ever pregnant.

"We cannot withhold facts for fear of offending because the importance of the information outweighs people's right to not be challenged in their beliefs." -Maddy Reid

Quote Originally Posted by Shanna(h) View Post
    I know some women do have home births after cesareans (hbac). Dh has always thought I would die in labor, even before I was ever pregnant.
    I've heard of that too, but it wasn't a risk I was willing to take. Maybe I was being foolish, but I definitely made my decision with my eyes wide open. I have no regrets having Sydney & Conner in a hospital...I mean, I would have preferred to have them at home but I wasn't comfortable trying it. It doesn't help that we didn't live less than 45 minutes from a hospital when I had them. Maybe if we lived closer to one I would have chosen differently.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I'm late to the discussion, but I echo everyone's sentiments about the home birth. Don't let Dbf's joy-killing get you down Bridget. Tune him out. Let go of any remaining expectations of him and focus on building your own support system.

And because I can: Ass. Ass ass ass ass ass.

I've heard of that too, but it wasn't a risk I was willing to take. Maybe I was being foolish, but I definitely made my decision with my eyes wide open. I have no regrets having Sydney & Conner in a hospital...I mean, I would have preferred to have them at home but I wasn't comfortable trying it. It doesn't help that we didn't live less than 45 minutes from a hospital when I had them. Maybe if we lived closer to one I would have chosen differently.
    Yeah, the 45 mins makes a huge difference. We live 5mins away, so my advice is tainted by a comfortingly close hospital.

LOL @ ass

Someone I know just had a homebirth and the baby came very quickly (the midwife was knocking at the door when the baby was delivered by the husband on the bathroom floor). All are happy and well, and I am so happy for them!

Stupid unrelated question...is nudity a morality issue? If I saw naked people at a nude beach, I wouldn't assume they were immoral, so imo, it's not a morality issue. It's a personal comfort issue.
    I don't think that it is a moral issue either.

Though you wouldn't see me at a nudie beach!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I think that the only way I end up with a home birth is if I were to end up on the show I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant.
    That show amazes me! And those babies seem to come quickly. My BFF's cousin went to the doc and found out that she was a baby in two weeks. She had no clue.

Otherwise, if I do get pg, bring on the drugs for me.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I confess...I'm going to pick up the bar stools we ordered a month ago. And I really hope that both fit in the car so we only have to make one trip. I was NOT going to pay a $95 delivery fee for two bar stools.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

We survived our trip to Wyoming...

Just barely.

Last night on the plane, we were one of those families. Claire was yelling and wouldn't stay in her seat during takeoff and chanting "Potty, potty, potty, potty,potty, potty, potty!" Ronin was hopping up and down, opening and closing the window shade. Soren was crying and spitting up. It was an hour until the seatbelt sign was turned off, and by that time Ronin had two accidents in his pants. I told Justin as we deplaned "I am NEVER traveling again!"

But the rest of it was okay. We did go camping with my dad. It rained, it hailed, the tent leaked, and Justin and I sat up shivering for several hours in the middle of the night, trying to get away from the raindrops around the edges. Poor Soren. I probably broke just about every SIDS rule, just trying to keep him warm. Turns out sleeping bags nowadays are so narrow you cannot fit one person plus a baby inside. I have a picture of him in a fleece sleeper with a fleece sleepsack over it, with my sweater over that, and then a blanket and a hat.

The twins had a great time, though. They got to taste s'mores for the first time--we had to explain that marshmallows were food. They played with flashlights. They rummaged in the dirt. They did not fall into the campfire and the part of the tent they slept in did not have the leaking problems Justin and I had to deal with.

My dad and Soren:

My dad was worse than a fourth child. He gave Claire 6 brownies and an ice cream cone at dinner the first night. He kept disappearing with one or both of the twins, without telling us anything. When we were eating dinner, he just scooped up Ronin and went over to the kitchen area. Then he didn't come back. I tried calling him--no answer. Claire ran off to look for him and I followed her, and he was no where to be found. When he eventually returned (mind you, we were all supposed to be having dinner together), we found out they'd gone down the street and browsed through the shops, sat on a motorcycle, and bought ice cream. All without telling me anything. He encouraged the twins to pick up large rocks out of the landscaping at our friend's house and throw them into his carefully landscaped pond. He contradicted both me and Justin several times, by telling the children they could do something we'd told them not to do. At a party the other night, he did it again and I had to yell "Dad! We have been telling them not to do that, so I do not want you telling them they can." Justin thinks three years of consistent discipline have gone down the drain, but I think they'll improve again now that they're away from him. It's just too bad the plane flight was right at the worst of it.

Oh, and one night he took us to a party which turned out to not be appropriate for twins. It was an introduction to the Chairman of the DNC, so there were lots of speeches and fancy appetizers, and we couldn't leave early.

On the bright side, the house where we stayed was lovely--a castle in the woods, decked out for renting to wealthy business travelers who like to entertain. SO much nicer than staying at my dad's house, which is pretty much a hazard.

Where we stayed:

Kitchen and library at my dad's house:

We had a few lovely walks, and as always, the scenery is breathtaking. It was nice to spend time with my dad, even when I was frustrated. We saw moose, bison, bald eagles, and lots of horses and cows.

Justin taking pictures in front of the Tetons:

Walk by Jenny Lake:

My signature picture is also by Jenny Lake, in Grant Teton National Park. I actually did not take very many pictures, and those I took were not that great. I was bouncing a crying Soren while I was taking most of them. I'm looking forward to seeing Justin's pictures once he gets them on the computer.

And have I ever mentioned how once I start writing about something, I have a hard time stopping?

Lydia, even your not that great pics are beautiful. Love, love, love the castle! Sounds like quite an adventure. I love that you are such a trooper. I admire that trait in people.

Glad you got through the trip, Lydia! I love your pictures!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I think some people consider nude beaches immoral.

This just caught my eye because I wanted to share with you all that on a first date, a guy took me to a nude beach, "Not to get naked, but just look at all the other naked people." There were a lot of them, some with quite spectacular body modifications and accessories.

I've never been to a nude beach. I'm not sure how I feel about them. I don't think nudity is immoral. I can't help but think that if God didn't want us to be naked, he wouldn't have made us that way...I dunno if that makes any sense LOL

Oh, Lydia! That trip sounds awful and wonderful. Beautiful pictures.

I don't think nude beaches are immoral.

Hospital or home: whatever works for you.

Theoretical question of the day:

If you could get a painful and horrible operation (like a nose job) that would then cure you of ever having the common cold ever again, would you do it? Would you take 6 weeks of terrible pain over a lifetime of intermittent discomfort and annoyance?

I have had a sinus infection for over a week, so I am pondering these big philosophical questions.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

It depends how often I got colds or the allergies. DH has allergies and sinus problems and he hates it but he refuses to take any medicine or do anything else about it because he claims the tests make you sick and the medicine doesn't work.

If it's really terrible and you get infections all the time, and you were guaranteed that the operation would work, I'd probably go for it.

Lydia, everything looks so beautiful. I'm sorry your dad didn't want to act like a responsible adult. Other than that it sounds amazing.

Oh, and I don't think nudity is a morality issue. But when talking about nudity as society sees it, I think most Americans would find it immoral.

Lydia, your pictures are beautiful! I love the one of Soren all bundled up <3 Heck, I love them all!!! Seeing the pic of your dad made my mental image of him even clearer...he just looks like a rouged outdoorsy kinda guy that doesn't think anything bad will happen. I'm sure it was frustrating, but it sounds like you had some good times, and truthfully your kids will probably remember the good stuff. Sometimes that's what life is about, suffering through inconveniences and stress to give our kids some pleasurable memories.

Lydia, the story of your vacation was beautiful even if it was less than pleasant at times. I'm glad you managed to find some good in it, and I'm very glad you all made it back safely.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

So nice to be home, isn't it?

I love all the pics too Lydia! So gorgeous. Your not so good pics are better than my best pics LOL. That is just a beautiful castle, looks like a fairy tale.

Erin

Someone just dropped a house on my sister!

Quote Originally Posted by katycat24 View Post

If you could get a painful and horrible operation (like a nose job) that would then cure you of ever having the common cold ever again, would you do it? Would you take 6 weeks of terrible pain over a lifetime of intermittent discomfort and annoyance?

I have had a sinus infection for over a week, so I am pondering these big philosophical questions.
    Well, I've already decided that if a doctor told me that eye surgery would give me back my sight I wouldn't do it. But perhaps if it weren't something to do with my eyes (I am crazy protective of my eyes- you have to be when you only have one good one! LOL) I may consider it. Not having cold forever is pretty tempting. Oh, and sinus infections SUUUUUUUCK!! Ugh.

It would depend on the severity and frequency of the sinus infections for me. Before I got the Mirena, I had terrible monthly migraines just prior to the onset of AF. If a lobotomy would have cured me of those migraines, I would have done it. They left me in bed for 4-8 hours and included vomiting. The pain was so severe I'd always get to the point where I actually wanted to die.

Thankfully, Mirena cured me of those, so the lobotomy wasn't necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by katycat24 View Post

I probably would. I mean I did have a gastric bypass surgery and while that didn't cure me of obesity, it certainly did help quite a bit. And even better benefit I didn't know would happen was that it REALLY helped a lot with the IBS. It used to be so bad, I started getting worried about leaving the house. After surgery we have driven to DisneyWorld from Wisconsin. And I'm thinking about going to France in maybe 2-3 years.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

So glad you didn't have to get a lobotomy, Chrissy. You'd be awfully boring.

I confess....I am stressed about the weather. As in I'm obsessed with it. I worry about it a lot...when we are driving somewhere, when my family is driving up to see us.
    And now we have a tornado watch and they are predicting some severe storms this afternoon. I don't even like normal storms with just a little lightening and thunder, let alone large hail, damaging winds and maybe tornados.
    I worry about me, DH and Cosmo. They are at home but I will be at work or driving home from work (it's only 3 miles). And I'm worried about my house. I have insurance but I REALLY love my house.

Uggg, I just don't like summer. At least in a snow storm, all I have to do is drive slowly.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I confess Home Depot just tried to leave a huge stack of wood I didn't order in front of my house for no reason I know of - whole story in the "ansering the door" thread.

I also confess for two nights in a row, I haven't been able to swallow my prenatal vitamin whole. I tried to swallow it and it just wouldn't go down. I had to break it into thirds or smaller and swallow each piece. I've been using that exact bottle for a month and a half, so no change that I know of. What does that mean?

That's funny about Home Depot. I'm off to look....

I have no idea about the inability to swallow. I did have a nasty thought about needing more practice, but I'll keep that to myself.

That's funny about Home Depot. I'm off to look....

I have no idea about the inability to swallow. I did have a nasty thought about needing more practice, but I'll keep that to myself.
    Hey!

I can't swallow pills at all. They make me gag, especially if they aren't coated. Do prenatals come in gummy form?
    I take gummy one a day vitamins, which is funny because you actually have to take 2 for the daily allowance.
    Chrissy, gross...