Page 404 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 3043543944024034044054064144545049041404 ... LastLast
Results 12,091 to 12,120 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Hahaha...perceptions, yeah....I get a lot with being southern and with being American in England. One guy once asked why Americans only had paper bags at the grocery stores???? Hmm...maybe cause that's what they show on movies? LOL.

Preconceived notions? Try Montana.:p

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    Preconceived notions? Try Montana.:p
    *cough* or Alaska!!

Hi... I live in an igloo, and drive a dog sled to school........

Quote Originally Posted by The10Eels View Post
    *cough* or Alaska!!

Hi... I live in an igloo, and drive a dog sled to school........
    AND I bet you wear a super heavy coat with a REALLY furry hood ALL. THE. TIME.

Janeen - 30, Jimi - 42; Married October 21st, 2006;

5. Default

even slept in it.... those igloos are mighty cold

Okay, you ladies are cracking me up LOL!!!

I don't think anyone has a preconceived notions about me being from Ohio, but people do have ideas about the city where I'm from Toledo as a lot of people remember that show MASH and Jamie Farr who is from Toledo and whose character was from Toledo so they always ask me do I like MASH and I have never liked that show and turn the channel as soon as I hear that song anytime it comes on. They also are amazed that black people live in Toledo, there are a whole lot of black people in Toledo BTW.

Oh and people here in Atlanta thought I was from New York because anyone who doesn't have a messed up Atlanta accent (not a southern accent because Atlanta has an accent all it's on that is just crazy ridiculous) is from New York because that is the only place that northerners are from for some reason to some people.

Erin

Heh...I bet people think everyone from Massachusetts is preppy. I see a lot of that in Boston, but it's certainly not true everywhere.

Hey y'all!!! I'm from Texas!!! Yeeehaaawwwww!

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Quote Originally Posted by The10Eels View Post
    even slept in it.... those igloos are mighty cold
    Quote Originally Posted by katycat24 View Post
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Alaska. Right. Whale blubber anyone?

People think I live in conservative hell and my closest neighbors are 100 miles away and they live in a shack in the mountains and have lots of guns. They also presume I own a ranch on hundreds of acres.

Hey Gwenn - hope you have a good visit with dh! You are going to look hubba-hubba-hot!

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Hey Gwenn - hope you have a good visit with dh! You are going to look hubba-hubba-hot!
    Thanks! Just have to do some final picking up and then jump in the shower. What am I still doing on APA?

I'm moving to TX in a few weeks.

No real preconceived notions about Coloradans though. Except that we all ski. Which we don't.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

Quote Originally Posted by AbbeysMom View Post
    I'm moving to TX in a few weeks.

No real preconceived notions about Coloradans though. Except that we all ski. Which we don't.
    I thought everyone in Colorado was a bunch of pot smoking hippies

"We cannot withhold facts for fear of offending because the importance of the information outweighs people's right to not be challenged in their beliefs." -Maddy Reid
    In memory of all APA babies gone too soon; always loved and never forgotten

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Bay Area, CA? I'm a pot-smoking, wine-drinking, ultraliberal lesbian nudist.

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    I gotta see this. I'm coming to visit.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Ooh. I like you!

I confess that I realized tonight that I am experiencing moments of really high anxiety for the first time in my life. I've never felt this way before. My whole life the one thing everyone says about me is that I'm even keeled. Nothing really gets to me. I've always been able to shake things off, keep things in perspective, live and learn.
    But suddenly I can't shake it off. I'm sure it's a combination of so many things. But I don't like it. And I'm not sure how to cope with it. It's new to me. Like, sometimes I will be standing in the kitchen dealing with making and dinner and whatever small crisis Savana and Kai are having and I get this feeling like I just want to turn around and walk out the front door. Like it's all so overwhelming that I am going to suffocate. I have NEVER felt like this before. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to leave them. And I don't feel anger toward them. Just like I suddenly can't handle it. Whatever it is.
    Tonight when I was driving to meet my brother and my dad for dinner I saw an accident ahead of me. Several people were pulled over already and on their cell phones but no emergency vehicles yet. I suddenly felt terrified. Like, so terrified that I was shaking. And then when I passed, and it appeared that everyone was okay...I started to cry. Like, really, really cry. WTH?
    I'm very sorry this got so long. It all came pouring out.
    Last edited by Bridget; 07-01-2010 at 08:51 PM.

Bridget, I think it's totally normal to go through that after a loss. I know a couple people that developed slight to moderate anxiety disorders immediately after losing a loved one. Maybe you should bring it up with your midwife and see if there's anything you can do or take to help for now.

With treatment I'm sure it will go away. But don't ignore it, ok? At least talk to someone about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanna(h) View Post
    I thought everyone in Colorado was a bunch of pot smoking hippies
    Maybe in Boulder, but we have the Eastern plains and the Western slope too. It's what makes us a red state. And Colorado Springs (Ted Haggard, anyone?).

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Bridget, I think it's totally normal to go through that after a loss. I know a couple people that developed slight to moderate anxiety disorders immediately after losing a loved one. Maybe you should bring it up with your midwife and see if there's anything you can do or take to help for now.

With treatment I'm sure it will go away. But don't ignore it, ok? At least talk to someone about it.
    This is true. I dealt with major anxiety that triggered a debilitating episode of OCD after my Mom passed. I did grief counseling too, but I had never experienced anxiety like that. In your case you have the combination of a major loss of a loved one and pregnancy hormones, so yeah, it's easy to see how that could be extremely overwhelming.

My sister described her feelings after my Mom passed to be like PTSD, not grief. I tend to agree with her that it's like that when you lose one of the people closest to you.

My aunt heard her best friend die in a car accident (she was on the cell phone driving when she wrecked). My aunt said she felt just like she'd heard a sudden, loud clap of thunder and her body jumped...for 2 weeks straight. That's about the most intense form of anxiety I've ever heard anyone describe. She was really a mess for a long time after, but the first few weeks were the hardest for her.

Bridget, you're normal. That's the first thing to remember. That these feelings are unfortunately part of a grieving and trauma-response process. And that they will go away. And that your goal should be to breathe through them knowing they're not harmful they just ARE and that they will pass.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Bridget, I agree with Stacy. It's part and parcel of loss, unfortunately, and I'm sorry you're going through it.

I'm sorry Bridget
    For some reason seeing an accident is traumatic for me too, I mean I don't go through anything major but it shakes me up. I witnessed an accident a few days ago and I was scared to drive after I saw it. (she was okay, she just swerved off the road and spun, and I think she probably got whiplash, but it could have been a lot worse!)
    Anyway...I wish I could be there to help you.

After everything I went through with Robbie my mild OCD and anxiety has gotten a lot worse. I can only imagine what losing somebody close to me would do to my anxiety.

I hope you can find a professional to talk to.

"We cannot withhold facts for fear of offending because the importance of the information outweighs people's right to not be challenged in their beliefs." -Maddy Reid
    In memory of all APA babies gone too soon; always loved and never forgotten

Bridget, I agree with Stacy. It's part and parcel of loss, unfortunately, and I'm sorry you're going through it.
    Sheesh, that looks a lot colder in writing, when it wasn't that way in my head at all. I was just trying to say that it's not unusual for you to be feeling this way--your mother was a support to you and a constant presence in your life, whether you were with her or talking to her or not. You always knew she would be there for you if you needed her, and now, whether or not you're consciously thinking of her, a part of your certainty and security in life has been taken away. It is no wonder that from time to time you have a panicky feeling or some anxiety. Also, I have found that it's so much easier to picture my own death, or my other children's, or other people's deaths in general now that it's happened to me, because I know that I'm not immune (not like I thought I was, but somehow it never really hit me before) to tragedy.

I would say give it a little time, and if you're having trouble coping with the anxiety or if it's getting worse (because goodness knows pregnancy can add a LOT), think about grief or other types of counseling.

I agree with everyone else, Bridget. I"m sorry - just try to breathe through the bad times.

Bridget, I agree that what you are going through is normal after a loss. I'm so sorry you are feeling this way.

Ack. Just got a jury duty notice for federal court. I don't report in, but have to be on call for a week. That means I have to call every day and see if they need me that day or not, so I won't know if I go to work or not until that day. And they picked the first week of school! I have SO much to do that week, it's ridiculous.

In other news, DH is here!!!!