Page 398 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2983483883963973983994004084484988981398 ... LastLast
Results 11,911 to 11,940 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by sunrider View Post
    Wow. I'm only vaguely familiar with what American Girl is, but I find it intriguing that your DH likes it and wants a little girl. Cool.
    Yeah we would easily take a boy...but deep down there is a slight preference for a girl. His thought is that a girl can do anything a boy can but a boy can't do everything a girl can (a lot of things sure like cooking and cleaning are for both genders but we wouldn't say put a boy in a dress or grow long hair for pigtails). But DH could do trains with a girl or teach her to play chess or watch football with him.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    My girls are supposed to be building a 5-shelf bookcase today. I wonder how they'll do?
    LOL My dad when a teen started out building a dresser...eventually ended up being a bread board. Eventually though when older he made my cradle and they still have it for my sister or I to use someday hopefully.
    That first big project has to start somewhere though!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    P.s. what UNbiased studies show is that children with access with a wide variety of toys show higher intellectual capability than those with limited access to toys. So. A kid with two waldorf dolls and some blocks is still at a disadvantage to the kid who sits in a room full of Disney.
    I think that is interesting....I have done some research into video games myself. Another thing that can be good in moderation but not if taken into obession. But some video gaming can lead to better surgeons, especially those doing laproscopic surgery or using the DaVinci robot.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Chrissy I don't know. But this might be TMI but here it goes anyway. I one day was a bit bloated feeling, nothing too unusual though. I got my weight on the wii fit and than did 5 minutes of hooping...that is it! The hooping, um expelled some gas I didn't even realize was waiting....just for kickes I weighed again in just five minutes I lost .9 of a lb.
    So really a little bit of gas, needing to use the bathroom, a little water retention...could easily be several pounds that could change quickly.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I'm sure mine is AF related. I was on a steady decline in lbs and then suddenly halted...I wasn't worried about it, but then the next day AF showed her ugly head so I'm assuming that is why my decline ended. And yes, I'm hoping that I'll lose another 2-3 lbs water weight.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I'm always 5 pounds heavier the day before AF. I literally lose 5 pounds in one day. Every month.

Good to know Stacy. That's how I thought it would work...build up right before, and release. Nasty. lol

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    I'm always 5 pounds heavier the day before AF. I literally lose 5 pounds in one day. Every month.
    Same here!

And speaking of character vs non-character toys and imagination, my sister and I never had any commercial or character toys. Most of ours were handmade, or hand-me-downs from our parents (you should see the ratty 60-year-old teddy bear I still have). Although my sister and I played imaginatively a lot, we still did things like name our rag dolls after Ozma in the Oz series, and the Ozmas did a lot of things we picked up from the books. So even though they weren't commercial toys, and looked more like socks than princesses, we still used plots we were familiar with. I don't think there's any escape from it.

Bridget, I am seriously jealous of your dad. He sounds awesome.

I love your midwife bumper sticker, Midge.

Somebody who charts their cycles should weigh themselves everyday for a few cycles and see if they notice any trends in weight gain/loss.

Maybe this is tmi, but there are a few days every month where I queef a lot, so I'm going to start marking those days on my chart see if they are ovulation queefs or something

And ita about moderation in everything. I think that if the boy with the generic cowboy watches all the Toy Story movies all the time, the most imaginative thing he will do is imagine his cowboy is Woody. If the second boy has never seen Toy Story, or only seen it once or twice, he might use his Woody as a regular cowboy. So more than keep certain toys from my kids I hope to encourage a lifestyle that encourages imaginative play. Limit tv time, limit character and electronic toys, lots of reading, and lots of time on the floor playing and interacting with my kids, going to parks and museums (where we can learn about jet pakcs ) and just showing them what an amazing place the world is. but if he really wants a Woody doll I get him one, and if they are best friends I'll be just as happy as I would if his generic cowboy was his bff.

My cousins watch a lot of tv and movies, they own a lot of character toys. The only generic toys they had were barbies, but then they got all the barbie movies. They are smart kids, they are cute and I love them. But I don't enjoy spending time with them, they are not very fun, or funny, and being with them gets old quickly. Sometimes I think their parents get bored with them too, which is why the amount of tv time they get increases so much

"We cannot withhold facts for fear of offending because the importance of the information outweighs people's right to not be challenged in their beliefs." -Maddy Reid
    In memory of all APA babies gone too soon; always loved and never forgotten

I've been so touched my human kindness lately. I got a huge, totally stunning bouquet of flowers from dbf's sister's husband's sister in Canada. I have only met her the two times we traveled there but her and I kind of hit it off right away and drank a lot of wine together one night. I was so surprised and every time I look at the flowers it warms my heart.

Last night I was looking through my mom's sympathy cards and I found one from my kindergarten teacher! It was to my dad and said she saw in the paper that my mom had passed and was so sad. That she remembered my mom's smile and that she was always one of her "favorite parents" back when she "had the pleasure of teaching your children".

One of my really good friends has a housemate that I met about a year ago. The only time I have ever spent with her is the once every few months that I go to see my friend and she is always there and hangs out with us. She's really lovely and I like her a lot. She has some prints in her house by this artist that I always comment on when I go there. Well she found out that I am pregnant and bought me a baby journal by that artist called, First 1000 Days.

I love it when I am rejuvinated by the human spirit.
    Last edited by Bridget; 06-25-2010 at 11:45 AM.

That's nice that you have so many people to support you, Bridget.

I think it's because you get back what you put into the world. You're genuinely a nice, sweet person and people cannot help but want to show their support of you. As with your parents. I know where you got it from.

Someone just dropped a house on my sister!

Sometimes I feel like my life is going nowhere. I'm so ready to start the next part of my life, whatever that may be, but I'm stuck. Before I got pregnant I was looking at jobs (but not sure if I could put my kids in daycare). I really want to buy a house but we know we won't be in AK forever. I feel like there's something I should be doing that I'm not. DH keeps saying "but you're pregnant! That's doing something!" Well, yes. That's doing something very important! But it's doing something that I've been doing for the past 5 years since I got pregnant with Lola- working on my family. Not to say I want to STOP working on my family, because I don't. I just feel like I've been at this same place for too long and it's time to start the next adventure. Of course, that's going to be a lot harder now that I'll have three kids to take care of, not that it was ever easy with DH being in the military and causing our lives to be in a permanent state of unknowing, but it will be harder. I'm wondering if maybe I'm just not looking hard enough or setting my goals high enough.

Only you can decide what you want to be when you grow up (so to speak) but if you're feeling the urge to move forward for yourself, then I encourage you to start looking. Even if that means just taking 1-2 classes online at a time for now. At least you'd be moving in a direction and maybe that would stem the 'stuck' feeling you're having now.

You can absolutely continue working on your family and yourself at the same time. It's my belief that I'm a better mother because I have fulfillment outside of my mother and wife duties. I know not everyone is geared that way, but I'm just letting you know that it is possible. Don't think that you have to sacrifice your family to grow yourself.

I think it's because you get back what you put into the world. You're genuinely a nice, sweet person and people cannot help but want to show their support of you. As with your parents. I know where you got it from.

Absolutely.

shutterbird Guest

Exactly!

I love seeing people be decent, kind, and considerate for a change!

shutterbird Guest

I confess that I'm kind of annoyed with DH. Not too much, but I hate that he won't stand up for himself and what he believes in. He was working with another apprentice yesterday who brought up the topic of conversation. From what DH told me, it sounds like he was preaching to him, especially after DH told him he wasn't religious. ("I said that I believe in God, but only to shut him up. Then I went on to say 'but I'm not religious. I don't go to church or anything.'") Apparently that opened the flood gates.

Argh! I hate people harping on my DH. He's such a mellow, passive kind of guy. He wouldn't be able to tell him to STFU even if he wanted to... wish I was there.

Bridget, that is SO sweet about your DH selling the car. And I'm glad people are showing you love and support in this time.

To add a final two cents on the play thing, I think in the end it all comes down to limiting television time and providing as much time reading, exploring, and creating as possible. I do think just sitting in front of a television all the time stunts creativity (although I agree with Stash that to an extent it does open the mind to new concepts and experiences).
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbird View Post
    I confess that I'm kind of annoyed with DH. Not too much, but I hate that he won't stand up for himself and what he believes in. He was working with another apprentice yesterday who brought up the topic of conversation. From what DH told me, it sounds like he was preaching to him, especially after DH told him he wasn't religious. ("I said that I believe in God, but only to shut him up. Then I went on to say 'but I'm not religious. I don't go to church or anything.'") Apparently that opened the flood gates.

Argh! I hate people harping on my DH. He's such a mellow, passive kind of guy. He wouldn't be able to tell him to STFU even if he wanted to... wish I was there.
    He really should say something. It doesn't have to be mean, but it's really inappropriate for that guy to be going on like that.

My 4 kids are going to see Toy Story 3 tonight

This says it perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    Sometimes I feel like my life is going nowhere. I'm so ready to start the next part of my life, whatever that may be, but I'm stuck. Before I got pregnant I was looking at jobs (but not sure if I could put my kids in daycare). I really want to buy a house but we know we won't be in AK forever. I feel like there's something I should be doing that I'm not. DH keeps saying "but you're pregnant! That's doing something!" Well, yes. That's doing something very important! But it's doing something that I've been doing for the past 5 years since I got pregnant with Lola- working on my family. Not to say I want to STOP working on my family, because I don't. I just feel like I've been at this same place for too long and it's time to start the next adventure. Of course, that's going to be a lot harder now that I'll have three kids to take care of, not that it was ever easy with DH being in the military and causing our lives to be in a permanent state of unknowing, but it will be harder. I'm wondering if maybe I'm just not looking hard enough or setting my goals high enough.
    I don't have any advice. I feel completely fulfilled as a mommy, but I've only been doing it for a year. Maybe take some online classes. You can go at your own pace and work around being a mommy, and learn something new.

"We cannot withhold facts for fear of offending because the importance of the information outweighs people's right to not be challenged in their beliefs." -Maddy Reid
    In memory of all APA babies gone too soon; always loved and never forgotten

Bridget your dad seems like such a great guy and it is so wonderful that you are being shown such kindness. I know when I'm shown some kindness when dealing with some of life's stresses, it is very refreshing and renewing for me.

Only you can decide what you want to be when you grow up (so to speak) but if you're feeling the urge to move forward for yourself, then I encourage you to start looking. Even if that means just taking 1-2 classes online at a time for now. At least you'd be moving in a direction and maybe that would stem the 'stuck' feeling you're having now.

You can absolutely continue working on your family and yourself at the same time. It's my belief that I'm a better mother because I have fulfillment outside of my mother and wife duties. I know not everyone is geared that way, but I'm just letting you know that it is possible. Don't think that you have to sacrifice your family to grow yourself.
    Wanted to say ITA with above. I also believe that a woman needs fulfillment outside of her family duties, especially motherly duties. I know a lot of women in my own family whose children grow up and they are just lost and depressed and such so I feel it is very important to have other interests. I know that children aren't children forever so I try to enjoy them as much as I possibly can with the knowledge that they will soon grow up and go one about their own lives. In the meantime I want to develop and grow my own self as well. I wish you luck!!

My 4 kids are going to see Toy Story 3 tonight
    I want to go see it and so does Ky. He only recently watched Toy Story 2. We don't watch many movies or TV and don't have cable but we do have a lot of action figures so I don't see any thing wrong with characters. I guess I never thought about them since my brother and I played with a lot of Thundercats and He-man and She-ra and Transformer figures when we were kids. I have a freakish memory and we rarely had them play out scenes of the cartoons. We also created our own imaginary world though, my name was Ka-chi LOL we were really imaginitive and we watched WAY more TV than my kids do. Ky is really imaginative too, but he does have some friends who constantly watch the afrorementioned Sponge-Bob and those kids really get on my nerves constantly telling me about Sponge Bob and his assortment of friends and all their play revolves around Sponge Bob so I can see how watching a show/movie constantly and only having toys about those characters can make children less imaginitive.

Erin

shutterbird Guest

TS3 was cute! Lorelai loved it and I cried at the end. I had to keep reminding myself that it was about TOYS.

I had a She-ra Princess of Power doll. DH still has some of his old transformers even though they don't transform all that great anymore. LOL

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Yeah, I was going to say, make sure your kids bring tissues, Chrissy! I know it's about toys...but it almost makes me feel bad for them, you know? I want to keep every single toy Josh gets now, LOL
    Cass, I agree with whoever said you should go for trying something new. Even something simple like an online class or a new hobby or something can really open doors.

Someone just dropped a house on my sister!

The sad thing is, I took some online classes last summer and I hated it. I've always really liked school, I don't want to feel that way about it. But it was just not fun at all.

At this point, I'd just be happy with a vacation. We're going home in August. We'll see how that goes. But I think seeing all those people, my family and friends, will just remind me that I don't have a normal life and won't for a while. I think I'm just sort of "over" the army right now. I'm tired of them dictating MY life.

That must stink, Cass.
    By the way I keep meaning to tell you I really like your sig.

I really like online classes because I don't have to be around people who don't want to be there, or deal with any distractions (besides the ones at home LOL). I took that one writing class and I don't know if this is typical of adult online classes but she really didn't give any feedback. She loved everything everyone wrote LOL I feel like I learned some things from the other people taking the class though, because there were some really good writers.

29. Default

Cass - I wish I was still up there so we could be mommy friends IRL.

Bridget - Your dad is amazing! I totally agree with the "You get back what you put into the world" thing. You are truly an amazing woman, and from the stories of your parents, we can all see exactly where that came from!

Chrissy - I'd be testifying about seeing the guy at the party we were at, etc.. I was the one who took my friend to the hospital when she came running inside bawling her eyes out.. etc.

I confess B missed his court date earlier this week and now has a warrant out for his arrest. and apparently also lost his job, and was kicked out of the place he was living.....

I sure know how to pick em, huh?

Oh man!
    I think there are so few good men out there, it's inevitable that most of us are going to end up with losers. The upside is that you cut him loose already. LOL Think I'm cynical much?