Page 389 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2893393793873883893903913994394898891389 ... LastLast
Results 11,641 to 11,670 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

1. Default

I love that Savana.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    I know that feeling. When my girlfriends and I get together every so often it never fails that we look at each other and talk about how drastically different our lives our now. We were crazy. And now we're MOMS.
    I know, right?

I now understand why I feel differently about my old friends than I do with my (wonderful) new mommy friends. They knew me before I was a mom, so they see me as a full picture, not just Mia's mommy. Does that make sense?

LOL
    Yeah...I have come a long way since college. I feel like I'm not the same person, most of the time.
    Funny story...I kinda like younger guys...sometimes I find myself checking one out, and then I get a glimpse of myself from an outside perspective, and I'm like oh, ew, I'm somebody's mom, checking out a guy in his 20's. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by MammaMia View Post
    I know, right?

I now understand why I feel differently about my old friends than I do with my (wonderful) new mommy friends. They knew me before I was a mom, so they see me as a full picture, not just Mia's mommy. Does that make sense?
    Yeah, that makes sense.

I know, right?

Yes.Yes.Yes. My longtime girlfriends know me better than anyone, including family and dbf.

I know, right?

Absolutely! I can tell my mommy friends who I was before Madelyn and I get .

I miss a lot of my friends. They're all spread out all over the world though. That's what sucks about military life.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    LOL
    Yeah...I have come a long way since college. I feel like I'm not the same person, most of the time.
    Funny story...I kinda like younger guys...sometimes I find myself checking one out, and then I get a glimpse of myself from an outside perspective, and I'm like oh, ew, I'm somebody's mom, checking out a guy in his 20's. LOL
    LOL, I've done that too, though I have no special preference for younger guys.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Yes.Yes.Yes. My longtime girlfriends know me better than anyone, including family and dbf.
    Same.

I don't think any of my former besties really know me...or ever knew me. I think that has to do with the fact that I hung with a pretty wild crowd for the most part. So even my 'good girl' friends had ideas about me that weren't accurate.

I think the 'me' now, after kids, is more me than before kids. I was a lost lamb then. I would have to say the few friends I've made after kids have a better grasp of who I am as a person than those I hung with in high school.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

LOL, I've done that too, though I have no special preference for younger guys.

Oh well, you're pretty young yourself, aren't you? I for some reason thought you were in your early 20's. (I mean, I'm only 31, but I feel like I connect better with people younger than me)

I'm 27, so we're quite close in age.

Nearly all my friends IRL are considerably older than me.

I'm 27, so we're quite close in age.

Nearly all my friends IRL are considerably older than me.

I'm this way too, though I'm 30 now, and have started to make more friends that are younger than me too.

My dearest of friends are the women I went to college with. Really, I think they are what I took away from college that most affected the rest of my life.
    Just Midge

Blah, I had such a horrible college experience the first time I went, that it tainted the rest of my college endeavors. (massage therapy, and culinary arts) I finally got a degree in culinary, but I didn't make any long term friends out of the deal. I think that whole bad college experience has tainted my ability to make friends even now.
    I think that's why I like the idea of online classes. All the education without the social aspect. LOL

My closest friends are from high school. The two I am closest with were actually 2 years behind me in school but when they graduated they got a house and needed another roommate at the same time that I was looking to get out of my lease. We were all friends but once we lived together the rest was history. We lived together for years and to this day we are incredibly close.

I like my online friends best right now. I have a couple people irl that I consider good friends, but I don't see them much. I know if I ever needed them, they'd be there. And visa versa of course...but I don't feel like I have time to invest in any real friendship nurturing. Online it's easier...I have access to y'all when I'm at work or have a minute when I'm at home to jump online...but at the same time none of you are calling me when I'm in the midst of giving my teens the 3rd degree about who smoked the pot.

I thought I was missing out, not having someone to go do things with besides the kids. I made a friend on my bus, and she turned out to be rather opinionated and didn't hesitate to tell me what I should be doing all the time. I couldn't cope with it and just stopped communicating with her. I'm pretty set in my ways. If I don't ask what I should do, I really don't want to be told. I don't tell anyone else what to do with their life.

Ugh. I bought a new camera yesterday because for some reason I can never keep track of my camera and so I can't take pictures. I took a few random shots of the house, DH, the animals etc. and most of them weren't good but I got a really great one of my cat. So I loaded it on the computer and erased the pictures off the memory card. Then I tried to put the picture of the cat on FB and it wouldn't let me, so I opened up a paint program to change the file size and it wouldn't save. Closed it out, and the file is EMPTY. My picture is gone and won't come back.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Sorry Mandy

That really stinks.

Not the end of the world but so annoying.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I still have a best friend from when I was 6. She lives on the other coast, though. Sucks. All my dearest friends are back east, though I do have some really wonderful new friends, it's just not the same.

Bridget, what a compassionate little girl.

I still have a best friend from when I was 6. She lives on the other coast, though. Sucks. All my dearest friends are back east, though I do have some really wonderful new friends, it's just not the same.

Bridget, what a compassionate little girl.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I don't have any good friends now. My college years I didn't make lasting friendships, since I was married, living off-campus, and broke and studying. My two best friends from high school I am still in touch with, but one is kind of crazy and is servicing an 80-year-old man in exchange for free rent--she drunk-dials me a few times a year. The other one actually lives in San Francisco now, but he is super-busy socially and we have very little in common except people we used to know. Dh has been my best friend ever since I moved out here.

Mandy, unless you deliberately deleted it I bet your picture is somewhere around.

Bridget, Savana is such an incredible girl. And I know she can't be completely perfect, so that just reinforces to me the love and infinite patience you have as a mom.

Speaking of, Claire is going through a "difficult" phase again. She has certainly been our more challenging child, and she is making Ronin look good and herself look worse in comparison. Like if I ask Ronin to hand me something, Claire will leap on it and hold it down so he can't pick it up. Then he cries because he wanted to help me, and she growls and hits at him if he tries again. I'm sure this is just acting out and she'll get better, but it tries my patience and dh is not dealing with it as well as I would like. And I feel like I'm in the middle, defending her but also trying to make her behave asap so dh will be happier with her again and because she should not be hurting or yelling at people. It's stressing me out, and that's probably just contributing more to her behavior.

22. Default

I confess I just compiled a mock schedule of classes so I have some idea of what I will be getting myself into this coming semester. It doesnt look toooo demanding...... (on its own)

Oh Lydia! That must be so frustrating. Conner has turned into a little bully on occasion, but it's been pretty simple to handle as it only happens when he's with another child somewhat his size. It would be tremendously harder to deal with if he had a twin to pick on

Last Saturday we were at an event where there were other children. Conner hit a 7-year-old, and that boy ran up to Rich holding his head and crying. Rich actually told the boy, "well you're bigger than he is" Ugh. I'm like no, Conner cannot be hitting and you need to deal with that. Later I told Rich the boy did the right thing because he was so much bigger than Conner. I would have been upset if he'd pounded him into the dirt (which is what I'm guessing Rich was alluding to by the statement he made?).

Quote Originally Posted by atenielle View Post
    I confess I just compiled a mock schedule of classes so I have some idea of what I will be getting myself into this coming semester. It doesnt look toooo demanding...... (on its own)
    What classes are you thinking about taking? How many? Are they 3 or 4 credit classes?

24. Default

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    What classes are you thinking about taking? How many? Are they 3 or 4 credit classes?
    Well the college gives a recommended outline as to which semester to take which classes in order to get the degree in the "typical" two years... so I am basing this off of that..

It would be English Composition, Medical Terminology, Computer Information Systems, Accounting Procedures and General Psychology. I don't remember off the top of my head how many credits each class is, but they range from 2-4, and its a total of 15.

The medical terminology class is online, and Psychology will be too, if I have to retake it. I had it in AK, and think that was one of my classes that did actually transfer down here.

The demanding part is combining classes with working, and two babies at home
    Last edited by The10Eels; 06-15-2010 at 07:49 AM.

I'm so jealous! I took those classes as well and liked them. I think they're all 3 credits each? CIS was my favorite, of course, with English being my least favorite (but I still got an A in it). I think you'll do just fine with those classes.

It does get a little stressful when they have the middle/end-of-semester projects due within the same week, but it's totally manageable. I'm so excited for you!!

Lydia, that does sound really tough. I go through that with both Savana and Kai quite often when dbf doesn't deal with the behaviors appropriately and I have to balance sticking up for them with trying to make sure they understand the behavior is not okay.

I think sometimes dealing with the SO is kinda like having an extra kid.

I confess

I am alive but just have been busy and intimidated at how much I'm sure I've missed in this thread. Looking at the post count, it's probably around 1000 posts. Hopefully no one here will crucify me if I don't go back and read everything.

Hugs to everyone (whether you need it or don't).

Lydia, what's DH doing in the dealing with Claire that you don't like?
    Mine has started shouting at Liam when he does something and I just hate it. I need to say something to him but I know what will happen. He'll yell back at me, stomp out of the room and come back 5 min later to tell me he knows I'm right, he's sorry, and he loves me, and give me a hug. <sigh> This morning was a perfect time to do it but I just didn't have the energy or the time for that cycle, nor did I want to start something on what was a pretty nice morning.
    Krista & Jonathan: Liam, our one and only, born 9 Sep 2008

29. Default

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I'm so jealous! I took those classes as well and liked them. I think they're all 3 credits each? CIS was my favorite, of course, with English being my least favorite (but I still got an A in it). I think you'll do just fine with those classes.

It does get a little stressful when they have the middle/end-of-semester projects due within the same week, but it's totally manageable. I'm so excited for you!!
    ok.. I looked them up.. They are all 3, except Medical Terminology, which is two... and General Psychology which is 4.

I REALLY hope the psych class transfers... If I can't get into the online course, the class is 4 days a week for 53 minutes. (seriously? 53 minutes? Why not make it an hour??) and I can't do it with my work schedule..

Quote Originally Posted by sunrider View Post
    I confess

I am alive but just have been busy and intimidated at how much I'm sure I've missed in this thread. Looking at the post count, it's probably around 1000 posts. Hopefully no one here will crucify me if I don't go back and read everything.
    Not crucify. Maybe pinch? Glad to see you back!!

Quote Originally Posted by atenielle View Post
    ok.. I looked them up.. They are all 3, except Medical Terminology, which is two... and General Psychology which is 4.

I REALLY hope the psych class transfers... If I can't get into the online course, the class is 4 days a week for 53 minutes. (seriously? 53 minutes? Why not make it an hour??) and I can't do it with my work schedule..
    When will you find out if it transfers?